Protection for "Every Infant Born Alive"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Executive Order on Protecting Vulnerable Newborn and Infant Children

Issued on: September 25, 2020

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. Purpose. Every infant born alive, no matter the circumstances of his or her birth, has the same dignity and the same rights as every other individual and is entitled to the same protections under Federal law. Such laws include the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA), 42 U.S.C. 1395dd, which guarantees, in hospitals that have an emergency department, each individual’s right to an appropriate medical screening examination and to either stabilizing treatment or an appropriate transfer. They also include section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Rehab Act), 29 U.S.C. 794, which prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities by programs and activities receiving Federal funding. In addition, the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, 1 U.S.C. 8, makes clear that all infants born alive are individuals for purposes of these and other Federal laws and are therefore afforded the same legal protections as any other person. Together, these laws help protect infants born alive from discrimination in the provision of medical treatment, including infants who require emergency medical treatment, who are premature, or who are born with disabilities. Such infants are entitled to meaningful and non-discriminatory access to medical examination and services, with the consent of a parent or guardian, when they present at hospitals receiving Federal funds.

Despite these laws, some hospitals refuse the required medical screening examination and stabilizing treatment or otherwise do not provide potentially lifesaving medical treatment to extremely premature or disabled infants, even when parents plead for such treatment. Hospitals might refuse to provide treatment to extremely premature infants — born alive before 24 weeks of gestation — because they believe these infants may not survive, may have to live with long-term disabilities, or may have a quality-of-life deemed to be inadequate. Active treatment of extremely premature infants has, however, been shown to improve their survival rates. And the denial of such treatment, or discouragement of parents from seeking such treatment for their children, devalues the lives of these children and may violate Federal law.

Sec. 2. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to recognize the human dignity and inherent worth of every newborn or other infant child, regardless of prematurity or disability, and to ensure for each child due protection under the law.

Sec. 3. (a) The Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) shall ensure that individuals responsible for all programs and activities under his jurisdiction that receive Federal funding are aware of their obligations toward infants, including premature infants or infants with disabilities, who have an emergency medical condition in need of stabilizing treatment, under EMTALA and section 504 of the Rehab Act, as interpreted consistent with the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act. In particular, the Secretary shall ensure that individuals responsible for such programs and activities are aware that they are not excused from complying with these obligations, including the obligation to provide an appropriate medical screening examination and stabilizing treatment or transfer, when extremely premature infants are born alive or infants are born with disabilities. The Secretary shall also ensure that individuals responsible for such programs and activities are aware that they may not unlawfully discourage parents from seeking medical treatment for their infant child solely because of their infant child’s disability. The Secretary shall further ensure that individuals responsible for such programs and activities are aware of their obligations to provide stabilizing treatment that will allow the infant patients to be transferred to a more suitable facility if appropriate treatment is not possible at the initial location.

(b) The Secretary shall, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, ensure that Federal funding disbursed by the Department of Health and Human Services is expended in full compliance with EMTALA and section 504 of the Rehab Act, as interpreted consistent with the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act, as reflected in the policy set forth in section 2 of this order.

(i) The Secretary shall, as appropriate and to the fullest extent permitted by law, investigate complaints of violations of applicable Federal laws with respect to infants born alive, including infants who have an emergency medical condition in need of stabilizing treatment or infants with disabilities whose parents seek medical treatment for their infants. The Secretary shall also clarify, in an easily understandable format, the process by which parents and hospital staff may submit such complaints for investigation under applicable Federal laws.

(ii) The Secretary shall take all appropriate enforcement action against individuals and organizations found through investigation to have violated applicable Federal laws, up to and including terminating Federal funding for non-compliant programs and activities.

(c) The Secretary shall, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, prioritize the allocation of Department of Health and Human Services discretionary grant funding and National Institutes of Health research dollars for programs and activities conducting research to develop treatments that may improve survival — especially survival without impairment — of infants born alive, including premature infants or infants with disabilities, who have an emergency medical condition in need of stabilizing treatment.

(d) The Secretary shall, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, prioritize the allocation of Department of Health and Human Services discretionary grant funding to programs and activities, including hospitals, that provide training to medical personnel regarding the provision of life-saving medical treatment to all infants born alive, including premature infants or infants with disabilities, who have an emergency medical condition in need of stabilizing treatment.

(e) The Secretary shall, as necessary and consistent with applicable law, issue such regulations or guidance as may be necessary to implement this order.

Sec. 4. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

Source: Executive Order on Protecting Vulnerable Newborn and Infant Children | The White House

Reactions: historyb

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Section 1. Purpose. Every infant born alive, no matter the circumstances of his or her birth, has the same dignity and the same rights as every other individual and is entitled to the same protections under Federal law.

This is great news, and yet it grieves me that the president of a nation founded on Christian principles had to issue an executive order to protect all babies born alive. What does it say about a nation that lets newborn babies suffer and starve to death??? What does it say about medical professionals who place these babies in designated rooms, some of them called "comfort rooms," to breathe their last breaths without needed medical intervention?

This is where the acceptance of abortion has led this nation, and it's only going to get worse if Americans don't begin to see killing babies (born and unborn) for the evil that it is and repent before Almighty God!

R

Rita

Hi Prayer Warrior,
I was sadden to hear that babies did not have this protection at birth. My son was listening to a podcast where a governor in the USA admitted that they have ‘ live abortions ‘ ( that’s what he called it - meaning a live baby is taken and then disposed of ) I couldn’t believe that he was admitting it. I have heard of this happening in China where they having ‘ killing rooms ‘ where baby girls are left to starve. They showed a documentary over here some years ago, I was Just in tears. As a human race we certainly have a lot to answer for !
I am pleased to see this new law being passed xx
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am happy to hear the good news of this law being passed! Now what to do when these potentially unwanted children are born into a family that should NEVER even have children? Many will have them on purpose for money.
Through my years of working, I have met upwards of 3-4 generations of welfare families...mostly just the mom and children. No husband to be found...or even known!
The "doctors" (ya know, "first do no harm"?) who do these killings must be of those whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. It is unimaginable to me that a human being can do this.
What they are, and have been doing for a long time in China just sickens me no end. God sorts all in the end.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am happy to hear the good news of this law being passed! Now what to do when these potentially unwanted children are born into a family that should NEVER even have children? Many will have them on purpose for money.
Through my years of working, I have met upwards of 3-4 generations of welfare families...mostly just the mom and children. No husband to be found...or even known!
The "doctors" (ya know, "first do no harm"?) who do these killings must be of those whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. It is unimaginable to me that a human being can do this.
What they are, and have been doing for a long time in China just sickens me no end. God sorts all in the end.

I'm not sure I understand your point, so I won't comment until I give you a chance to clarify. :)

Last edited:
R

Rita

Yes, that happens over here. Many have children to stay on benefits because once your youngest goes to school you are encouraged to work, so they often have different children by different fathers so they don’t have to go out to work.
There are so many childless couples who are desperate for newborns - that side of things needs to be developed, but not run as a business. I don’t agree with babies being sold.
Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that happens over here. Many have children to stay on benefits because once your youngest goes to school you are encouraged to work, so they often have different children by different fathers so they don’t have to go out to work.
There are so many childless couples who are desperate for newborns - that side of things needs to be developed, but not run as a business. I don’t agree with babies being sold.
Rita

Amen Rita!
Neither do I agree, at all and never did understand why adoption has to be so costly, obviously lucrative for those in the "business"! And when you think of all the kids in foster homes needing a stable God fearing family, it makes it all the more sad. They all want newborns only.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure wha

Not sure what you are asking me. Can you be a bit more specific as I brought up several "points" here :)
Oh, sorry. I've been "talking" a lot on here, so I guess I'm getting tired. :(

I wasn't sure if you were justifying letting babies die because they might not have a good home, but this didn't sound like something you would say, so I thought I'd better ask you about it.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, sorry. I've been "talking" a lot on here, so I guess I'm getting tired. :(

I wasn't sure if you were justifying letting babies die because they might not have a good home, but this didn't sound like something you would say, so I thought I'd better ask you about it.
Oh Lord no!! Not at all. The widows and orphans, if we are truly going to follow His commands, should be taken care of by the church I would say...but in this day and age, that is not something that happens very much :( My church does have a direct adoption ministry and there are many who have adopted older children. But it seems such a drop in the bucket compared to all of those kids who are left to the "system". There is no answer that I can see with natural eyes where that is concerned ...other than prayer ;)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh Lord no!! Not at all. The widows and orphans, if we are truly going to follow His commands, should be taken care of by the church I would say...but in this day and age, that is not something that happens very much :( My church does have a direct adoption ministry and there are many who have adopted older children. But it seems such a drop in the bucket compared to all of those kids who are left to the "system". There is no answer that I can see with natural eyes where that is concerned ...other than prayer ;)
Sounds like a great church!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a great church!
It truly is. I had to leave it for years when I moved too far away. Then, they opened one of their campuses' only 10 minutes away from me, as opposed to over an hour! And the timing could not have been more perfect. They opened at a crucial time in my life where I was ready to leave a local body...and it was NOT an easy decision but I knew God had something else for me, and boy did He ever. He works in ways we could never even think of :)

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It truly is. I had to leave it for years when I moved too far away. Then, they opened one of their campuses' only 10 minutes away from me, as opposed to over an hour! And the timing could not have been more perfect. They opened at a crucial time in my life where I was ready to leave a local body...and it was NOT an easy decision but I knew God had something else for me, and boy did He ever. He works in ways we could never even think of :)

Here is a link. It is titled "Every Child".
Adoption & Foster Care

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you said about taking care of widows and orphans is so important. It seems that most people think all men have life insurance or something, so widows don't need help. When my husband died, I didn't have much money in the bank, and I couldn't find a job even though I have a college degree and teacher certification. So, while I was grieving his untimely death, I was looking for a job, but no one would help.... There are ministries in my area that help women coming our of prostitution and drug abuse, and this is great, but no ministries to help me as a widow and no churches either, even though I was very involved in two different churches during the years following his death. It was shameful. Some day, I would love to have a ministry for widows!

Reactions: Bobby Jo and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you said about taking care of widows and orphans is so important. It seems that most people think all men have life insurance or something, so widows don't need help. When my husband died, I didn't have much money in the bank, and I couldn't find a job even though I have a college degree and teacher certification. So, while I was grieving his untimely death, I was looking for a job, but no one would help.... There are ministries in my area that help women coming our of prostitution and drug abuse, and this is great, but no ministries to help me as a widow and no churches either, even though I was very involved in two different churches during the years following his death. It was shameful. Some day, I would love to have a ministry for widows!

I am sorry that you had to through such unexpected and untimely sorrow. And yes, I am very surprised at how many people do not have life insurance. I can understand if there is no family to think about. Most if not all life ins. co.'s will turn you down if you answer yes to "depression"! And your idea for a ministry for widows is wonderful, very much needed as, seems widows are tossed under the bus where much of the church is concerned. Not to toot my church's horn...again! But, there are several different ministries to widows :)
Search

Reactions: Bobby Jo
R

Rita

So sorry there was no help. I was fortunate when my marriage ended as I was able to go on income support while I re trained, and worked through the grief. I couldn’t find a lot of support on an emotional within the church , or should I say understanding. I joined a yahoo group , which later became a ministry. It was from the USA , but we ended up having members from all over the world. Sadly it all folded a few years ago x
Rita