Proverbs 19:14

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A husband cannot simply put his wife away because she isn’t “good”. A ground for divorce would be sexual immorality.

Instead of leaving the wife, why not pray with and for her? Why not commit everything you have to the marriage to help / support the wife? Sounds more like the husband is looking for an out rather than “God’s true match”??? But, I could be wrong on that, just my opinion.

The husband isn't good either - I highly doubt every husband in marriage treats their wife as Christ loved the church. Does this give the wife the right to leave? I’m thankful this is not the case or else my wife could have left me years ago!

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The only grounds for divorce is adultery (sexual unfaithfulness)

The husband isn't good either - I highly doubt every husband in marriage treats their wife as Christ loved the church. Does this give the wife the right to leave?
Fornication (different word from adultery)...

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where adultery and fornication both occur, fornication would seem to refer to pre-marital activity.

The OP is not addressing pre-marital activity. My friend, I’m addressing the fact that a husband cannot put away his wife simply because he feels she is not "good".

Last edited:

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 19:14 House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD.

a good wife is from god so the bad wife is not from god

so what if a man marries but it turned out the wife is not a good wife and they fought and separated and this man finds another woman and he find a good woman the 2nd woman is a virgin

is this considered adultery? for the 1st woman? the 1st woman is not given by God but the 2nd is

I feel that considering this verse alone would be problematic. It seems to me, however, that the reverse may also be applied. As a foundation, those intent on marriage are advised to marry “…only in the Lord.”-1 Corinthians 7:39. A “prudent wife” (spouse) is conditional on our acceptable relationships with God. Poor judgments of our selections, is due to imperfection but mostly due to our own interpretation/rebellion of Bible counsel. Compare: Deuteronomy 7:3, 4; 2 Corinthians 6:14.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I feel that considering this verse alone would be problematic. It seems to me, however, that the reverse may also be applied. As a foundation, those intent on marriage are advised to marry “…only in the Lord.”-1 Corinthians 7:39. A “prudent wife” (spouse) is conditional on our acceptable relationships with God. Poor judgments of our selections, is due to imperfection but mostly due to our own interpretation/rebellion of Bible counsel. Compare: Deuteronomy 7:3, 4; 2 Corinthians 6:14.
Hello, Mark51,

A prudent wife is also a great blessing, making the life of the man so much easier, for she can be trusted to handle his affairs, to run the home within a budget, thereby lifting the man's burden a little as the breadwinner.

A bad wife has the opposite affect, she places an added burden upon the man. A wife is intended to be a 'help-meet', a partner on life's journey, watching the man's back as he goes out into the world, and being there to share both the joys and the sorrows.

* It means no more than that.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine once upon a time a woman had no say in a marriage. She was baught by the husband at the price the father set for her.
Sometimes they were arranged due to keeping the bloodlines pure, or joining two kingdoms together.
Ther's a prophecy about the daughter of the south making an agreement.. hold on..
Dan 11:6 And in the end of years they shall join themselves together; for the king's daughter of the south shall come to the king of the north to make an agreement: but she shall not retain the power of the arm; neither shall he stand, nor his arm: but she shall be given up, and they that brought her, and he that begat her, and he that strengthened her in these times.

I'm not even sure what that has to do with this.. but apparently it looks like no one is going to be wearing the pants in that family..

moving on..
So the laws that were written back then have a different meaning then it does today in the western world.
Now if you are betrothed to a wife of the father's choosing, think of Leah and Rebecca, Jacob loved Rebecca, but Laban? knew it was the oldest right to be married first.
What is a prudent wife?
shrewdness, craftiness, prudence
trickery; or (in a good sense) discretion:—guile, prudence, subtilty, wilily, wisdom.

Pro 16:21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

So I would say under these circumstances if one was to "buy" themselves a wife. Then maybe if the wife was a "good purchase"
one could praise God for a worthy investment..

Wow times have changed..lol

just thinking..
HUGS

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Imagine once upon a time a woman had no say in a marriage. She was baught by the husband at the price the father set for her.
Sometimes they were arranged due to keeping the bloodlines pure, or joining two kingdoms together.
Ther's a prophecy about the daughter of the south making an agreement.. hold on..
Dan 11:6 And in the end of years they shall join themselves together; for the king's daughter of the south shall come to the king of the north to make an agreement: but she shall not retain the power of the arm; neither shall he stand, nor his arm: but she shall be given up, and they that brought her, and he that begat her, and he that strengthened her in these times.

I'm not even sure what that has to do with this.. but apparently it looks like no one is going to be wearing the pants in that family..

moving on..
So the laws that were written back then have a different meaning then it does today in the western world.
Now if you are betrothed to a wife of the father's choosing, think of Leah and Rebecca, Jacob loved Rebecca, but Laban? knew it was the oldest right to be married first.
What is a prudent wife?
shrewdness, craftiness, prudence
trickery; or (in a good sense) discretion:—guile, prudence, subtilty, wilily, wisdom.

Pro 16:21 The wise in heart shall be called prudent: and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning.

So I would say under these circumstances if one was to "buy" themselves a wife. Then maybe if the wife was a "good purchase"
one could praise God for a worthy investment..

Wow times have changed..lol

just thinking..
HUGS
Hi @Ziggy,

Yes, times have changed! I would love to pursue this subject, but it can raise some heated debate, so I will not.

* The best example we have of the relationship that exists within the marriage bond is found in Ephesians 5:22-33:-

'Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
.. For the husband is the head of the wife,
.... even as Christ is the head of the church:
...... and He is the saviour of the body.
........ Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ,
.......... so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Husbands, love your wives,
.. even as Christ also loved the church,
.... and gave Himself for it;
...... That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
........ That He might present it to Himself a glorious church,
.......... not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing;
............ but that it should be holy and without blemish.
So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies.
.. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
.... For no man ever yet hated his own flesh;
...... but nourisheth and cherisheth it,
........ even as the Lord the church:
.......... (For we are members of His body, of His flesh, and of iHs bones.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother,
.. and shall be joined unto his wife,
.... and they two shall be one flesh.
...... This is a great mystery:
........ but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself;
and the wife see that she reverence her husband.'

* I cannot claim to have lived up to this standard, but I acknowledge it as what God intended, and that it is the only way for true marital peace.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Ziggy,

Yes, times have changed! I would love to pursue this subject, but it can raise some heated debate, so I will not.

* The best example we have of the relationship that exists within the marriage bond is found in Ephesians 5:22-33:-

'Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
.. For the husband is the head of the wife,
.... even as Christ is the head of the church:
...... and He is the saviour of the body.
........ Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ,
.......... so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Husbands, love your wives,
.. even as Christ also loved the church,
.... and gave Himself for it;
...... That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
........ That He might present it to Himself a glorious church,
.......... not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing;
............ but that it should be holy and without blemish.
So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies.
.. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
.... For no man ever yet hated his own flesh;
...... but nourisheth and cherisheth it,
........ even as the Lord the church:
.......... (For we are members of His body, of His flesh, and of iHs bones.
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother,
.. and shall be joined unto his wife,
.... and they two shall be one flesh.
...... This is a great mystery:
........ but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself;
and the wife see that she reverence her husband.'

* I cannot claim to have lived up to this standard, but I acknowledge it as what God intended, and that it is the only way for marital peace.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
I should of read it before my last 2 marriages.
They both went south, and it was both sides, both times.
I won't take the full blame, I felt like I did what I knew what to do.
The first one, I was 18 with a baby, desperately wanting to move out from my parents.
He was recently divorced, hard worker, looking for a partner.
It lasted 16 years and we both moved on.
2nd husband comes along, hard worker... maybe too much.
I tried to keep up with all the need to do this and that..
I got frustrated, we both gave up.
That relationship from dating to divorce lasted 16 years.
Now I'm single.. and my only interest is in the Lord.
I guess you could say, I'm right where He wants me to be

:)
HUGS