Psychopath vs. Sociopath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PSYCHOPATH VS. SOCIOPATH

Traits in Both
Lack of guilt/remorse towards strangers
Lack of empathy
Narcissism
Superficial charm
Dishonesty
Manipulativeness

Sociopath (only)
Easily agitated and irritable
Spontaneous acting out
Lack of stability in job and home life

Psychopath (only)
In control, both physically and emotionally
Lack of guilt/remorse towards friends and family
Reckless risk taking
No concern about consequences
Organized in criminal thinking and acting
Able to mimic feelings to present as “normal”

(See post #11 for pictures of brain scans).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the first things we were taught is that just about EVERYONE has some traits of just about any abnormality you can name. We were warned that one of the biggest mistakes we would be tempted to blunder into was going to be to think that we can perfectly and positively classify anyone as a _________________ .

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the first things we were taught is that just about EVERYONE has some traits of just about any abnormality you can name. We were warned that one of the biggest mistakes we would be tempted to blunder into was going to be to think that we can perfectly and positively classify anyone as a _________________ .

Those things can be hard to diagnose fully I'm sure. Although, I have met both ...to the extreme...especially the psychopath. She exhibits every single definition that was mentioned above and, to the extreme. Once I realized this...I removed myself from her presence. Many of us know, just know she had something to do with someones death, she was brought to trial but...never got convicted. I also know personally some of the things she did. One she DID get charged for but, got totally Scott free of the ones I know of. She also dabbles in the occult. I hope I never again cross her path!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
One question I have to which I have no definate answer, can such a person be saved while still afflicted by one of these mental illnesses?

All those characteristics listed in the OP are antithetical to Christian behavior. Yet the working of their mind is outside their control.

Other mental illnesses are not met with harsh judgement. In many cases I would assume the gates of Heaven are open to the mentally impaired the same way we assume children are accepted.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One question I have to which I have no definate answer, can such a person be saved while still afflicted by one of these mental illnesses?

All those characteristics listed in the OP are antithetical to Christian behavior. Yet the working of their mind is outside their control.

Other mental illnesses are not met with harsh judgement. In many cases I would assume the gates of Heaven are open to the mentally impaired the same way we assume children are accepted.
My initial thought would be "Yes." (Unstudied and unresearched)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I spent six years working at Florida's largest Mental Hospital, Chattahoochee, in the Forensics Unit....More than 1,000 patient/inmates. I'll probably never repeat what I saw and heard... and I am ashamed to say, sometimes reacted negatively to. But, I still believe God somehow worked in many of their lives.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those things can be hard to diagnose fully I'm sure. Although, I have met both ...to the extreme...especially the psychopath. She exhibits every single definition that was mentioned above and, to the extreme. Once I realized this...I removed myself from her presence. Many of us know, just know she had something to do with someones death, she was brought to trial but...never got convicted. I also know personally some of the things she did. One she DID get charged for but, got totally Scott free of the ones I know of. She also dabbles in the occult. I hope I never again cross her path!

Nancy, I lived with a couple psychopaths at different times, a girl in 2007 and a guy in 2013. Had to take them both to court. He was far worse. No more room-mates!!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe that God judges us taking into account who and what we are.

I think that the corruption of the flesh is more or less damage to our bodies in such a way as to produce a corrupted mind of the flesh.

I think that this corrupted mind of the flesh can be corrupt as everyone is corrupt, all the normal ways we've come to know, all the way up to thse extreme ways.

The condition of the flesh, I don't think this matters towards whether someone can be saved. I believe the Spirit is able to transcend all these things, and that even the brain can heal from it's traumas and whatever that initiate these kinds of things to begin with.

But it may take a long time bring about sanctification. As one suffering from depression myself, I find that I am healing, but with agonizing slowness. I also find that the Spirit can lift me completely out of that state, but doesn't always. Through this I'm learning about how we manage living in intrusively corrupt flesh, flesh that is actively antagonistic against us. And that while we have power over it, that doesn't mean we're never going to have to deal it.

God knows what we're dealing with, and will judge rightly.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I thought the same thing and looked up the brain scans of psychopaths. Wow, great difference between the normal brain and that of the psychopath. They must be born that way. I wonder if there will ever be a time when babies are given brain scans to see which are normal. Sort of a heads up. The psychopaths could have special training.

As far as God accepting them in the same way, I don't know. God knows the reason why these brains are formed in this way. Does science? If it is the sins of the fathers being passed down to the third and fourth generations, I doubt God will accept them. That is how psychic children are born with 'abilities.' An ancestor opened the door to the occult. God had them stoned to death in the Old Testament.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought the same thing and looked up the brain scans of psychopaths. Wow, great difference between the normal brain and that of the psychopath. They must be born that way. I wonder if there will ever be a time when babies are given brain scans to see which are normal. Sort of a heads up. The psychopaths could have special training.

As far as God accepting them in the same way, I don't know. God knows the reason why these brains are formed in this way. Does science? If it is the sins of the fathers being passed down to the third and fourth generations, I doubt God will accept them. That is how psychic children are born with 'abilities.' An ancestor opened the door to the occult. God had them stoned to death in the Old Testament.
Childhood traumas damage developing brains also.

I've been reading that they are in fact starting to study a "baseline" of childhood development to be more able to track these things.

Birth defects, developmental defects, and childhood traumas can greatly affect the parts of the brain responsible for value and risk assessment, impulse control, emotional memory, executive functions, lots more.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something else I'd like to toss into the mix . . . damage or mal-development in the brain may have more mild effects when we are younger, then effects accumulating in the 40's and 50's, the proverbial frog in a pot, slowly getting worse and worse, as life slides more and more out of control, leaving to sufferer to wonder, why is my life like this?

Brain damage and maldevelopment - I see these as corruption of the flesh - impacts us in such fundamental and overwhelming ways. Understanding how our flesh is damaged by all the ravages of sin can help us in understanding some of the difficulties we face.

Having said that, I know that God is able to simply pull us above all this, or to leave us dealing with it in a more nuts and bolts way if that is better for His purpose.

Much love!

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One question I have to which I have no definate answer, can such a person be saved while still afflicted by one of these mental illnesses? ...
If they have a capacity to be honest...and stay honest, long enough for honesty to become a way of life.
Truth restores everything back to its authenticity. Truth IS the healer.

Reactions: marks

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy, I lived with a couple psychopaths at different times, a girl in 2007 and a guy in 2013. Had to take them both to court. He was far worse. No more room-mates!!!
That had to be HELL for you, glad they are not in your life any longer. They can be very sneaky and crazy manipulative!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I often wondered that myself...I prayed hard and long for this woman.
She does know right from wrong as, she would boast on how she got away with thus and thus so...only God can sift them out...if they have no control then...dunno!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That had to be HELL for you, glad they are not in your life any longer. They can be very sneaky and crazy manipulative!

The first one stole my identity in the amount of $8,000, and the second one stole my car for a year and $13,000. Both caught and tried. No more room-mates! I'm so glad I don't believe in remarriage. At least, there aren't any men in my life to play anymore havoc! Never met a man that wasn't a liar. My dad wasn't, but they broke the mold when he passed.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first one stole my identity in the amount of $8,000, and the second one stole my car for a year and $13,000. Both caught and tried. No more room-mates! I'm so glad I don't believe in remarriage. At least, there aren't any men in my life to play anymore havoc! Never met a man that wasn't a liar. My dad wasn't, but they broke the mold when he passed.

I'm so sorry. It does get to the point where you become suspicious of people even when they are being legit. You got taken for more than I. She got about all told, 400 bucks from me. So the one that stole from you, not to mention the pain and suffering and the stress of being mad at yourself for allowing people like this into your life, at least got convicted. I will guess you never recovered the money either. God say's "Trust no man"...and boy is He right (as usual, of course).