Qualities of Biblical Prophets

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth, and to be honest, while everyone should desire to prophesy, lots of people want the gift of prophecy but very few want to live as a prophet. So that's another question, that I intend to look into today and look in the concordance and measure up what's being written, because prophesy can also mean speaking.

Is God saying that everyone should desire the ability to know what is coming or is it that everyone should desire to speak? Because one you might get in a lot of trouble if you try to force it, but the other one we should all be capable of. =

Psalm 57:16

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise."

You might get molded

Isaiah 64:8

"We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

You might get tested

Isaiah 48:10

"I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of affliction."

But as far as being outright murdered, that's probably not going to happen in America for many years, but you might get arrested and have your name smeared, or being beaten. The world is changing for street preachers.

To quote Leonard Ravenhill:

"And as dear Tozer used to say, 'If you're going to be a prophet, brother you'd better settle.' Or it was Dr. Parker who originally said, "If you're going to be a prophet you'll have to preach repentance and before you start, dedicate your head to heaven because you won't last much more than 6 months maybe.'

John the Baptist himself didn't. He went into the wilderness until his day of showing forth. .... I told you this morning it takes God 20 years to make a man. It took him 20 years to make John Baptist. And he preached 6 months."

Here's that bit if anyone wants to see it...

On the flipside of that, I strongly believe that God protects the righteous. He will mold and test who he wants to in order to prepare them for any good work, but that does not mean we are doomed to live a miserable life or a harsh death (especially at this time). I strongly believe that he protects and guides those whom he loves - and we might be tempted to give into the idea that it's absolutely necessary to be miserable forever, but I don't think so.

I didnt get to watch the video yet tonight, but good points.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Biblical prophets were not necessarily leaders. In fact, many of them were sent to challenge and convict the leaders in Israel. Their primary ministry was to declare EXACTLY what they were told to say. Indeed when they spoke as prophets, they were speaking by divine revelation, whether forth telling or foretelling. The prophets were generally hated, despised, persecuted, and killed. So the qualities required in prophets were faithfulness in spite of persecution.

Hello Enoch,

Indeed! and yet , never did they say 'lets start our own nation' and leave these other turkeys behind....

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But consider two examples which should make us stop and look more closely. Saul the first king of Israel received the same anointing by the same prophet [Samuel] as did David... What was the difference?

The second example is Judas Iscariot chosen by Jesus along with the eleven others as his closest disciples [apostles]. What was the difference?

Hello amadeus,

The difference,is they thought it was all about them! ;)

Peace be with you!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think were the qualities of the Biblical prophets that you think made them great leaders?

For example, David was a man after God's own heart. Was it anything in them that contributed to their successful leadership or was it simply that they had the Holy Spirit to lead them?

I'd say from 1 Samuel 16 it seems to me that God chooses people based off of their heart.

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

The bible declares that they must be right 100%, 100% of the time! None of the prophets had a perfet life, but when they spoke this saith the Lord- if they were only 99 44/100% right- thenthey did not speak the word of the Lord!

Reactions: Mayflower

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I always come back to Revelation 21:4, "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Selah.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible declares that they must be right 100%, 100% of the time! None of the prophets had a perfet life, but when they spoke this saith the Lord- if they were only 99 44/100% right- thenthey did not speak the word of the Lord!
We can't reasonably expect this every time. At that time, yes, if they were wrong, they were killed. But the 100% thing isn't exactly accurate.

When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him. (Deuteronomy 18:22)

Here's an interesting one for anyone reading:

We can ALL know the future.
It's in Revelation.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To want to be a prophet, you'd either have a death wish, or love God. Or both.
No one chose to be a prophet or *wanted* to be a prophet (other than false prophets). It is God who sovereignly chose men to speak His Word, and sometimes under very difficult or even shameful circumstances. Many of the prophets (including Moses) were very reluctant to become prophets but in the end submitted to the will of God.

What needs to be clearly understood is that all prophecy is DIVINE REVELATION. It is the Word of God given by the Holy Spirit to men who would rather not have prophesied. Hence the OT is called "the Law and the Prophets".

When it comes to the New Testament gift of prophecy, we find that the spiritual gift was given only temporarily until the entire Bible was completed. Hence Paul said that prophecies would cease (1 Cor 13:8). And cease they did. The apostle-prophet John was the LAST GENUINE PROPHET. When he finished writing the book of Revelation -- the last book in the Bible -- he placed a warning at the end of that book. No man must add another word to either this book, or to the Bible. Therefore all modern prophets are in fact false prophets or *pretend* prophets. Joseph Smith, Ellen G. White, William Branham, etc. all taught false doctrines.

Today, the spiritual gifts for the ministry of the Word are (1) evangelists, (2) pastors, and (3) teachers. We have a complete Bible (66 books only).

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one chose to be a prophet or *wanted* to be a prophet (other than false prophets). It is God who sovereignly chose men to speak His Word, and sometimes under very difficult or even shameful circumstances. Many of the prophets (including Moses) were very reluctant to become prophets but in the end submitted to the will of God.

What needs to be clearly understood is that all prophecy is DIVINE REVELATION. It is the Word of God given by the Holy Spirit to men who would rather not have prophesied. Hence the OT is called "the Law and the Prophets".

When it comes to the New Testament gift of prophecy, we find that the spiritual gift was given only temporarily until the entire Bible was completed. Hence Paul said that prophecies would cease (1 Cor 13:8). And cease they did. The apostle-prophet John was the LAST GENUINE PROPHET. When he finished writing the book of Revelation -- the last book in the Bible -- he placed a warning at the end of that book. No man must add another word to either this book, or to the Bible. Therefore all modern prophets are in fact false prophets or *pretend* prophets. Joseph Smith, Ellen G. White, William Branham, etc. all taught false doctrines.

Today, the spiritual gifts for the ministry of the Word are (1) evangelists, (2) pastors, and (3) teachers. We have a complete Bible (66 books only).

I believe in the gift of prophecy for today. Did you see the prophetic word I posted in testimonies? I've seen way too many prophetic messages and believed none of them. (Though even I was thinking "possibly" with Dana Coverstone's FIRST dream and not at all with the rest.) But te one I posted is the only one I have ever seen posted on YouTube ever where I could say YES.

And note that it was January 23rd and had absolutely nothing to do with politics, but only glorified God and spoke of leading people to repentance.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe in the gift of prophecy for today.
Which would also mean that these prophets would be giving Scriptures for the whole world. And I'm sure you would not go that far.

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation [origin]. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:21).

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which would also mean that these prophets would be giving Scriptures for the whole world. And I'm sure you would not go that far.

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation [origin]. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2 Peter 1:21).

If you want to use that verse to define prophecy, to cover all prophecy, then you would need to pair that with Deuteronomy 18:22,
"When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him."

Therefore, you would need to admit to the Bible being flawed in scripture, in case someone messed up somewhere, and I don't think you would go that far.;)

I'm not going to type too much because I noticed when I do people tend to skim past and activate emotions first before thinking, not actually having read it, and then try to rebutting and not know what they're rebutting, like yesterday. You do that and you miss the pieces where people agree.

Not saying that you're going to do that but just a thing that happens in general and it's tiring.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive been taught both ways about prophets. Im not sure of the office of prophet for today. Biblical prophecy is complete I believe, but there are prophecies and people who speak genuine prophecies still of what is going on in the world today and what will come. I think a genuine prophet wouldn't care about the title anyway. It is the faith in action gift that is important, to help the church.

Ill have to say this to remember to look up the scripture after the kids are asleep, but the Bible says in Revelation something about the old man will dream dreams, and young men will have visions. This is prophecy. It is to protect the church and encourage the church in the end times.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive been taught both ways about prophets. Im not sure of the office of prophet for today. Biblical prophecy is complete I believe, but there are prophecies and people who speak genuine prophecies still of what is going on in the world today and what will come. I think a genuine prophet wouldn't care about the title anyway. It is the faith in action gift that is important, to help the church.

Ill have to say this to remember to look up the scripture after the kids are asleep, but the Bible says in Revelation something about the old man will dream dreams, and young men will have visions. This is prophecy. It is to protect the church and encourage the church in the end times.
Here you go:
“‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy."

This is in Acts 2, quoting Joel.

I considered for a while that verse was saying that they believed those were the end times that they were declaring. Someone here corrected me on that and I don't remember who, but they explained it very well. So my initial interpretation of the timing was wrong.

Thought I would post it for you since if I was trying to look it up in my paper Bible in Revelation, I would have gotten very frustrated. :D I can't always remember where things are.

do you know how many pages and chapters there are??? :eek::eek::eek:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here you go:
“‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy."

This is in Acts 2, quoting Joel.

I considered for a while that verse was saying that they believed those were the end times that they were declaring. Someone here corrected me on that and I don't remember who, but they explained it very well. So my initial interpretation of the timing was wrong.

Thought I would post it for you since if I was trying to look it up in my paper Bible in Revelation, I would have gotten very frustrated. :D I can't always remember where things are.

do you know how many pages and chapters there are??? :eek::eek::eek:

Riiiiight!!!! I usually youversion the addresses, copy and paste from my phone. Thanks for this. And Fluff, people on here just write these whole theological paper posts beautifully put with scriptures to boot. I just am on line two trying to figure it out sometimes. LOL.

Reactions: DuckieLady

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think were the qualities of the Biblical prophets that you think made them great leaders?
Beards, definitely beards. Those OT Prophets really knew how to rock a beard.

That is what makes the Reformationists so interesting (well, the beards and the beer ... I mean who doesn’t like a guy with a beer and a beard). :) :) :)