Question About Adam And Eve

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stephannee77

Apr 4, 2010
FLORIDA
So I have this question on Adam and Eve. I have this friend who had said to me the other day that Adam had a wife before Eve. Is this true? I believe that there wasn't someone before Eve. It has always been Adam and Eve. At least that's what my Bible says. I just want to make sure I am thinking the right way. Thanks for helpin me out on this.
rolleyes.gif

gumby

May 29, 2009
Ah yes i have heard that story before pay no attention to that fairytale because its non-biblical. Scripture Plainly says Adam and Eve were married in Genesis 3:8.

stephannee77

Apr 4, 2010
FLORIDA
ok.....that's what i thought....i remember readin that God had put Adam to sleep took one of his ribs and made Eve to be Adam's help mate....i knew i wasn't goin crazy.....thank you.
biggrin.gif

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whirlwind and Christina could probably answer you best.
Your friend is referring to Lilith.
Your friend probably saw it mentioned on the History Channel and quotes from Isaiah.
I wasn't there so don't now.
:) Miss Hepburn

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks for the vote of confidence Miss Hepburn, :)
I think many could answer this question but Ill give it a shot here

There are legends that Adam had a wife before Eve who was named Lilith, but this is not found in the Bible.

The legends vary significantly, but they all essentially agree that Lilith left Adam because she did not want to submit to him. According to the legends, Lilith was an evil, wicked woman who committed adultery and produced a race of evil creatures. None of this is true. There is no biblical basis whatsoever for these concepts. There is no one in the Bible named Lilith.

The passage most often pointed to as evidence for Lilith is Isaiah 34:14, which in the NRSV reads, "there too Lilith shall repose." This is a poor translation. Every other major translation of the Bible reads something to the effect of "night creature" or "screech owl."
Even if "demon monster named Lilith" was the proper translation of the Hebrew word, Adam is nowhere even hinted at in this passage or its context. Whatever the Lilith was, it is not given any connection whatsoever to Adam or Creation. It strictly a legend a Myth.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

gumby

May 29, 2009
Whirlwind and Christina could probably answer you best.
Your friend is referring to Lilith.
Your friend probably saw it mentioned on the History Channel and quotes from Isaiah.
I wasn't there so don't now.
:) Miss Hepburn

The exact refrence supposidly is in Isaiah 34:14 and Isaiah 34:15. It is said to be the person of Lilith, although if you compare between the King james version and the NRSV bible the diffrence is crystal clear.

NRSV "wildcats shall meat with hyenas, goat-demons shall call to each other; there to Lilith shall repose and find a place to rest"

King james version "the wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl shall also shall rest there and find for herself a place to rest"

Now based on that from what i conclude modern false scholers somehow connected a female owl to the fairytale of Lilith. To me the scriptures make it clear that were talking about an OWL not an imaginary person.

stephannee77

Apr 4, 2010
FLORIDA
Thank you guys for helping me out in this.....the NIV also says the same thing about desert creatures will meet with hyenas and wild goats will bleat to each other....and the owl will nest there and lay eggs and such....
smile.gif
Just wanted to make sure I knew what I was thinking was correct. And I still believe that I am correct in my thinking....

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you guys for helping me out in this.....the NIV also says the same thing about desert creatures will meet with hyenas and wild goats will bleat to each other....and the owl will nest there and lay eggs and such....
smile.gif
Just wanted to make sure I knew what I was thinking was correct. And I still believe that I am correct in my thinking....

Besides...Eve's name wasn't Eve. That is just the Latin pronunciation of her name. It was Hawwa. Meaning "Mother of all living" and a bit of "Hubba hubba....WOW" all at the same time.

Adam thought that Eve was PHAT. (pretty, hot and tasty)
laugh.gif

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see where they get Lilith from, but like Christina I don't see how you could possibly link this to Adam:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3917&t=KJV

I think there was a goddess in Edom that bore the name and she basically haunted ruins, but who knows. The name does come up with terms like "the veiled bride" and "the winged snake" so there might be some validity, but then I could just as easily see it becoming a name for a screeching owl at night. If you've ever heard an owl, it's not a fun noise. It was probably named lilyth as the result of an old legend or something of that nature. The root of the word is night.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Lillith is not Bilical. Some legends say that Adam Lillith were created together and pulled apar to make man and woman. Also the legends say that Lillith would not be submissive to Adam, she always wanted to dominate him. Adam complained and God told her to behave, so she uttered the secret name of God and flew out of Eden to a cave by the red sea where she met a fallen angel called Samael. They had thousands of demon children together and God sent three angels to take Lillith back to eden but she wouldn't go so the angels killed 3,000 of her children a day. Because Lillith couldn't come back God created Eve who was more submissive. When Lillith heard that eve had been created she said that she would take their children when they were udner a week old. When Adam and Eve came out of Eden she terrorised the first humans and killed many of their children. The only thing that could stop Lillith from doing this was the names of the three angels that came to collect her. Also, because Lillith never fell with Adam and Even she remained immortal, legend say she married Cain and started off her own tribe of human like people that were all killed in the flood.

Lillith is basically a Hebrew legent from early Old Testament Apocryphal writings and is connected to a Babylonian Goddess Lillitu, she is also reckoned to be the mother of the Djins. These myths were at their most popular with Jews during the middle ages, but many Orthodox Jews today still believe in Lillith and use the names of the three Angels to protect their infants.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
Wow, never heard of that Lilith legend. Hey, would that be connected in any way shape or form to those concerts called "Lillith Fair"? It was some years ago and included an all-female line up of artists. I think Sarah McLachlin founded it and it always seemed to have some kind of feminist movement, girl-power, women-running-with-wolves tinge to it. Just wondering.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Yes, Lillith is a symbol for some feminists. She was proud and headstrong and wouldn't be dominated by a man.