Question for cybersecurity experts

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Well-Known Member
Apr 24, 2022
4,359
2,720
113
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I have a background in law enforcement and security management at hospitals. I am looking to transition to cybersecurity. I only have basic computer skills.
Can anyone recommend courses to take and which certifications I should pursue?
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am doing the same thing as you, I am in the Information Security field. I have a Micromasters degree from RIT ( Rochester Institute of Technology). I would highly recommend this- it is a website called Udemy.com , it is a website loaded with thousands of online training courses, very cheap, only like $15 per course! I previewed several free trial courses and I learned more in 30 minutes than I did the whole time I was at RIT! I took a course on Meterpreter (the Metasploit payload) and I now know everything about it, I know how to use meterpreter now! You can also find courses on Udemy that will help you prepare for the CEH exam (certified eithical hacker exam), I am going to do this in short order, apparently if you have your CEH employers will snap you up! Link is here if you want to have a look:

https://www.udemy.com/?im_ref=SA:U96TNKxyZWm8V1A2kHRQPUkrwzU2RyWaV3k0&sharedid=bing&irpid=2003851&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impact&utm_audience=mx&utm_tactic="Loyalty","US - North America"&utm_content=3260104&utm_campaign=2003851&irgwc=1&afsrc=1&im_rewards=

I would also highly recommend getting your Micromasters in Information Security from RIT, it is an online program, sequence is only like 5 courses and it is an awesome qualification to have, you can complete it in like 5 months and only costs about $3,000. The quality of the instruction is stellar, the professors are top-notch.

Also if you are not aware of Kali Linux I would highly recommend pursuing training in this, it is a version of Linux loaded with hundreds of hacking tools, free and available for download on the internet! They taught me about this at RIT and you can also get instruction on Udemy.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: RLT63

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something else- you may want to pursue cybersecurity bootcamp with Trainingcamp.com , they hold bootcamps all over the country. I have been out of school and unemployed for awhile so I feel that I am rusty, I may attend a boot camp and that will get me back up to speed in short order! They also offer bootcamps to prepare for a wide variety of certifications, I may also attend CEH (certified ethical hacker) bootcamp to prepare for my CEH! If you want to have a look link for this is here:

Trainingcamp.com
 

RLT63

Well-Known Member
Apr 24, 2022
4,359
2,720
113
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Something else- you may want to pursue cybersecurity bootcamp with Trainingcamp.com , they hold bootcamps all over the country. I have been out of school and unemployed for awhile so I feel that I am rusty, I may attend a boot camp and that will get me back up to speed in short order! They also offer bootcamps to prepare for a wide variety of certifications, I may also attend CEH (certified ethical hacker) bootcamp to prepare for my CEH! If you want to have a look link for this is here:

Trainingcamp.com
Thanks. The cyber warrior course costs $20,000 so something like this is what I’m looking for
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would also recommend several CompTIA certifications, you may want to pursue your A+ (in computer repair), your Network+, and also your Security+. The A+ and Security+ are easy, the Network+ is a little harder but you can probably pass it if you study or if you take a training course.
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something else- you can also attend online cybersecurity bootcamp at Columbia University (the elite school in New York City), if you have a degree from Columbia employers probably WILL hire you, no matter what! If you want to have a look at this info is here:

https://www.cuit.columbia.edu/cybersecurity
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A final thing- I picked up one of these on Amazon for about $450, it is a mini laptop! It is 8 inches across and is solid metal, it has a nice heavy feel to it! It also has a lot of power, like a 3.5 GHz CPU with 4 cores and 12 GB RAM! I am going to load it with a dual-boot between Windows 11 and Kali Linux and that is going to be my ethical hacking rig! The display also swivels around and it becomes a tablet PC! This is slick! Love it!

1790624806269.png
 

RLT63

Well-Known Member
Apr 24, 2022
4,359
2,720
113
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I am doing the same thing as you, I am in the Information Security field. I have a Micromasters degree from RIT ( Rochester Institute of Technology). I would highly recommend this- it is a website called Udemy.com , it is a website loaded with thousands of online training courses, very cheap, only like $15 per course! I previewed several free trial courses and I learned more in 30 minutes than I did the whole time I was at RIT! I took a course on Meterpreter (the Metasploit payload) and I now know everything about it, I know how to use meterpreter now! You can also find courses on Udemy that will help you prepare for the CEH exam (certified eithical hacker exam), I am going to do this in short order, apparently if you have your CEH employers will snap you up! Link is here if you want to have a look:

https://www.udemy.com/?im_ref=SA:U96TNKxyZWm8V1A2kHRQPUkrwzU2RyWaV3k0&sharedid=bing&irpid=2003851&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impact&utm_audience=mx&utm_tactic="Loyalty","US - North America"&utm_content=3260104&utm_campaign=2003851&irgwc=1&afsrc=1&im_rewards=

I would also highly recommend getting your Micromasters in Information Security from RIT, it is an online program, sequence is only like 5 courses and it is an awesome qualification to have, you can complete it in like 5 months and only costs about $3,000. The quality of the instruction is stellar, the professors are top-notch.

Also if you are not aware of Kali Linux I would highly recommend pursuing training in this, it is a version of Linux loaded with hundreds of hacking tools, free and available for download on the internet! They taught me about this at RIT and you can also get instruction on I would also highly recommend getting your Micromasters in Information Security from RIT, it is an online program, sequence is only like 5 courses and it is an awesome qualification to have, you can complete it in like 5 months and only costs about $3,000. The quality of the instruction is stellar, the professors are top-notch.
I only have basic computer skills is there more that I should learn before taking this course?
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may want to pursue college education, maybe from a community college, that would be cheap and give you some basic skills. They won't allow you to attend for a micromasters at RIT unless you already have at least a bachelor's degree so you would need to get that first. Also they would probably offer some basic computer courses on Udemy.
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also you might want to search for courses around where you live that will teach you how to build a computer, they might offer something like this at a community college or there might be some ads in the paper. I learned how to build a computer as a kid, my uncle was an electrical engineer from Rensselaer, he was at my parent's house for Thanksgiving and he built a computer right in front of me and taught me everything. Then later on I decided try to build one myself, I was able to do it, now I always build my own machine when I want a new one!
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
470
525
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trainingcamp.com may offer some computer repair bootcamps that will teach you how to build a computer, that would be expensive but would probably give you some skills you need!