Re Spirit baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you get the chance, post what you see was only meant for the Jews in the Gospel.

Common sense is obvious = like Mary being found with child from Holy Spirit and references specific to Jerusalem.

What about this: Matthew ch24 for the Jew only?

What about Ephesians and Galatians? for the Gentiles only?

Is the Book of Hebrews only for the Jews?

What about Peters Epistles? for the Jews only?
Er word is meat for the lambs . The lambs are one in the LORD they are BELIEVERS IN KING JESUS .
one gospel , one truth , one LORD , one baptism . Every word is for our good my friend . Yes it is .
Now raise those hands its Lord praising time in the building and round the world .

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John was the begging Gospel of Christ the gospel John wrote was looking for the kingdom to come the kingdom had not come yet. It is point to the cross of Christ it tells what will happen when the kingdom comes. The spirit is not given in Johns gospel because Christ
John 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
Therefore the baptism in water and in spirit has not come to play it is in the future when the kingdom comes. in the meantime Jesus is baptizing for remission of sin unto repentance because the baptism in his name that he will baptize with has not come into play for the baptism Jesus is to baptize with in the new king is into his death so all of the gospel John is giving is waiting for the kingdom to come

In Acts the kingdom has come, it came into being after the cross was fulfilled now the new covenant comes into play the old has passed away with the new testator of the new covenant

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Acts is a continuation of the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and John it finishes the gospels the others was leading up to Acts and Acts is the completion of What God had plan for mans redemption.
So before Christ they were saved one way (by works of the law)

then while Christ was here. all people had to do was believe. look up to the cross..(Back to before the law. where abraham believes..etc)

then after Christ we are saved yet a different way (no longer faith alone, but back to works)?

how does this make any sense?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Jesus told Him why, and it had nothing to do with "sin" or being "born again".

John the Baptist was preaching 'repent and be dunked".

So, what was Jesus repenting of ???

See, you have to sometimes THINK< vs just believing without thinking, what some water cult told you to believe.
If you want to be forgiven of sin, do you just sit around and say it would be nice if I got a pardon, or is there something you need to do. Christ was sinless, but He still did what was given from God the Father, and one of these John was preaching and Jesus also taught..

Matthew 3:1-6
1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If you want to be forgiven of sin, do you just sit around and say it would be nice if I got a pardon,

@Hobie

Forgiveness is found on the Cross of Christ.

The BLOOD Atonement.. -= The New Covenant".

You actually dont know that God as Christ on the Cross Shed His Blood and DIED for your SIN, is the only forgiveness for them?

Have you ever read a Bible = The NT ?

Read John 14:6, as Jesus is talking to YOU.

You think and BELIEVE...., and have been taught by a WATER CULT.... that the city water supply is your forgiveness, the cleansing of your sin....

You should find out what im showing you, and asap.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to be forgiven of sin, do you just sit around and say it would be nice if I got a pardon, or is there something you need to do. Christ was sinless, but He still did what was given from God the Father, and one of these John was preaching and Jesus also taught..

Matthew 3:1-6
1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,
6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
if I want to be forgiven,

I do as the tax collector did

Luke 18: 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

then while Christ was here. all people had to do was believe. look up to the cross..(Back to before the law. where abraham believes..etc)

then after Christ we are saved yet a different way (no longer faith alone, but back to works)?

Because you have your blinders on and are not rightly dividing the word I will leave you to your thoughts because it s clear you do not want to interain any other thoughts it seem no one wants to consider views that differ from the bias even though we were told to study and not get caught uo in our own understanding

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you have your blinders on and are not rightly dividing the word I will leave you to your thoughts because it s clear you do not want to interain any other thoughts it seem no one wants to consider views that differ from the bias even though we were told to study and not get caught uo in our own understanding
Because you have your blinders on and are not rightly dividing the word I will leave you to your thoughts because it s clear you do not want to intertain any other thoughts it seem no one wants to consider views that differ from the bias even though we were told to study and not get caught uo in our own understanding

ie, same goes to you my friend.. Don't be a hypocrite and do yourself what you judge others to do.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you have your blinders on and are not rightly dividing the word I will leave you to your thoughts because it s clear you do not want to intertain any other thoughts it seem no one wants to consider views that differ from the bias even though we were told to study and not get caught uo in our own understanding

ie, same goes to you my friend.. Don't be a hypocrite and do yourself what you judge others to do.
I see what you post it is so far from the truth in GOD'S word I used the holy scriptures to show you but you refuse to show me why they don't mean what was said in THE SCRIPTURES but go on and on with your thoughts with out any scripture to back them and what ones you do sometimes us are out of context I was just trying to get to the truth I am supporting my view with scripture if it is not true then show me that is all I ask study with me use more scripture to show me what you are saying is from God and not of man

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you post it is so far from the truth in GOD'S word I used the holy scriptures to show you but you refuse to show me why they don't mean what was said in THE SCRIPTURES but go on and on with your thoughts with out any scripture to back them and what ones you do sometimes us are out of context I was just trying to get to the truth I am supporting my view with scripture if it is not true then show me that is all I ask study with me use more scripture to show me what you are saying is from God and not of man

Again,

I am repeating your words back to you. Because they fit you.. I posted Gods word.. the whole word. not just a few chosen verses..

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Again,

I am repeating your words back to you. Because they fit you.. I posted Gods word.. the whole word. not just a few chosen verses..
May God continue to draw us to the truth in his word so that we can find the unity he so desires his children to have so that we may all speak in union the oracles of God not pulleted with the wisdom of men. We both need to study daily and search the scripture for they are truth and life. It is the blessed holy word of our maker or God and Father that speaks to us through his recorded word.

I just hope that we can get the human feeling out of our post and only speak the oracles of God. I am trying hard and not wanting to come of as judgmental or insensitive but I must speak only the oracles of God as well as you and if we differ we must search the scriptures for the truth so we can be untied in the truth as our Father wishes.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I was lying in bed trying to go to sleep my mind kept running through scripture do I decided to get up and share it here before I forgot what was being given me.

Is Romans chapter 6 about the water spiritual baptism in the name of the Lord or a Dry spiritual baptism where the signs are given some call the baptism of the holy ghost. I have been going over this in my head a lot and searching scripture for the truth on the subject.

Where is where I am at in this study.

John 1:25-33
25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?
26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not;
27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose.
28 These things were done in Bethabara beyond Jordan, where John was baptizing.
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
Remember that John was preaching repent and be baptized for the remission of sin
Mark 1: 1-4
1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

John was leading the way to the baptism that Jesus was going to baptize It it not the spirit baptism that Jesus was going to baptize with because it could not give the spirit only Jesus could do that
John 7:37-39
37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
See Jesus is talking about giving the indwelling Spirit. The baptism that Jesus is going to baptize with is the one that gives the indwelling spirit.
Now we await his mission to be complete that God the Father has given him to do.In Acts 2 we read that Peter has opened the doors to the kingdom that was to come and He preaches the now complete gospel because not Christ has completed the mission of the cross that his Father assigned for him to carry out. It is spelled out in Acts chapter 2 Peter preaches Christ and him crucified His death burial and resurrection. Then those present believe the gospel preached to the and ask Peter what they must do . Peter answers them Acts 2:38-41
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

We see the same gospel preached in Acts 8:29-39
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Side note here : notice it was the same gospel preached in both Acts 2 and 8 with the same results
Also note it follows the teaching in Romans 10:13-16
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
The spirit sent the preacher Philip to the eunuch to preach the gospel of Christ which must have included the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ just as it did in Acts 2

Now some say that the baptism in Romans 6 is a dry baptism in the holy ghost it is not the water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ but I think if we let scripture define which one it is we can see it is the water baptism in Christ name.

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
here we see it is where we were baptized into Christ (in the name of Christ Acts 2:38) it is where we join Christ at the cross and share in his death burial and resurrection and are washed in his soil cleansing blood of the lamb just as verse 3 says.

Paul goes into great detail to teach you what happens in the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ in verses 4-18
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

When we are baptized into Christ (in his name the spirit baptism that he was to baptize with )we join him in his death. God works his spiritual transformation of taking us dead in our sins to alive in Christ just as Paul tries to get us to see.

Now how do I know it is the water baptism in Christ's name? Paul tells you that in verse 16,17 and 18 above go back and read it again.

Now I hope we agree we are not commanded to be baptized in what some call the dry holy spirit baptism that one in some views just comes upon one but we are told to be baptized in the name of Christ for the remission of sin and to receive the indwelling spirit and that is just what Paul's said happens when we are baptized into Christ therefore Romans 6 is talking about Acts 2:38 I can not see it any other way when you check the facts.

Sorry to bother you just wanted to get this thought written down before I forgot. Hope it makes sense to someone.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Flesh gives birth to flesh meaning that mans ways can not save you must be born of water and of spirit point to Acts 2 where this discussion became reality
In John 3:5, Jesus said, "born of water and the Spirit" and NOT born of baptism and the Spirit. Jesus mentions "living water" in (John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39) and in John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The experience here parallels Jesus' words to Nicodemus. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing.

Also "water" is used in the Bible as an emblem of the word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the miracle of regeneration.

In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism. (Acts 10:47)

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So, the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9; 16:31; 26:18) *Perfect Harmony*

Reactions: St. SteVen

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is God's plan...that make's sense.