Re Spirit baptism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus like John the baptist and his disciple was teaching the kingdom to come it came after his death and resurrection it is now the completed gospel for what it was pointing to when Jesus was alive in now come and in effect rightly divide my brother rightly divide
These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scripture did define it for me

In the Greek. The gift of the Holy spirit only refers back to repent ye..

Remission of sin and baptism are only directed to a select group of people.. who is this group? The people who received the spirit, BECAUSE they received remission of sin

second.

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
in the scripture the gift of the holy ghost is the spirit itself which was promised by God seen also scripture proving scripture in Acts 19 the indwelling spirit is given in the baptism in Christ name 2 times we are told that in acts 2 And in acts 19 also in Romans 6

You said "Remission of sin and baptism are only directed to a select group of people.. who is this group?" Peter said "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

You said For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
scripture did define it for me

In the Greek. The gift of the Holy spirit only refers back to repent ye..

Remission of sin and baptism are only directed to a select group of people.. who is this group? The people who received the spirit, BECAUSE they received remission of sin

second.

Jesus tells us how to get eternal life and be born again, He never mentions water baptism as the means.. so unless Peter contradicts Jesus.. we must interpret him correctly.
in the scripture the gift of the holy ghost is the spirit itself which was promised by God seen also scripture proving scripture in Acts 19 the indwelling spirit is given in the baptism in Christ name 2 times we are told that in acts 2 And in acts 19 also in Romans 6

You said "Remission of sin and baptism are only directed to a select group of people.. who is this group?" Peter said "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call."

You said "Jesus tells us how to get eternal life and be born again, He never mentions water baptism as the means.. so unless Peter contradicts Jesus.. we must interpret him correctly."

Are you serious Jesus preached the Baptism of John while he walked this earth He preached as John that He would give the spirit but they did not understand because he was not yet dead. Jesus sent the spirit at Pentecost to remind Peter and the other Apostles what he taught them to teach us It was not Peter teaching but the spirit telling Peter what to teach that is elementary by brother you must understand that to understand the rest. Jesus DID teach baptism in his name

All the Peter and the Apostles taught was by Gods authority Peter did not just make up stuff to preach even Jesus said he did not speak on his own but only spoke what God gave him to say.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You said For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

You said "Jesus tells us how to get eternal life and be born again, He never mentions water baptism as the means.. so unless Peter contradicts Jesus.. we must interpret him correctly."

Are you serious Jesus preached the Baptism of John while he walked this earth He preached as John that He would give the spirit but they did not understand because he was not yet dead. Jesus sent the spirit at Pentecost to remind Peter and the other Apostles what he taught them to teach us It was not Peter teaching but the spirit telling Peter what to teach that is elementary by brother you must understand that to understand the rest. Jesus DID teach baptism in his name

All the Peter and the Apostles taught was by Gods authority Peter did not just make up stuff to preach even Jesus said he did not speak on his own but only spoke what God gave him to say.
lol

yes the gift is the hs.

but the HS can not enter a person who is dead. they must be born again.

and how are they born again ? (see John 3)

No mention of baptism..

the gospel is not only in the book of acts. you need to look at the whole councel of God

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The purpose is recorded right there
God decided it was time to add the gentiles the Jews are not ready so he prepares Peter for this mission because Peter is of the mindset that they are not to associate with the Jews God Shows him that he is ready to cleanse the gentiles while he is prepare Peter for this mission he tells Cornelius to send for Peter

Peter arrives and tells them it is uncustomary for Jew to mingle with Gentiles but God showed him in a vision it is Gods will to invite the gentiles into the kingdom. While he begins to preach the gospel the spirit CAME UPON did not say indwell to show signs to who? the Jews that accompanied Peter they did not know it was Gods will the Signs was fro them to believe that God had sent Peter not for the indwelling of the gentiles they got the indwelling when the were baptized in bChrist name as seen in verse 47 and 48
I follow your logic. but I still don't agree.
Jesus purpose with the Baptism with the Holy Spirit was not as signs.

Acts 1:8 NIV
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria,
and to the ends of the earth.”

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter did not just make up stuff
Not so sure about that.
They seemed to be flying by the seat of their tunics.
We shouldn't put these humans on a pedestal.

The was the point of my Samaria topic.
Laying on of hands was a workaround. Water baptism was enough on the Day of Pentecost.

You made the same conclusion about Cornelius as you did with Samaria.
Which one was like Pentecost?

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lol

yes the gift is the hs.

but the HS can not enter a person who is dead. they must be born again.

and how are they born again ? (see John 3)

No mention of baptism..

the gospel is not only in the book of acts. you need to look at the whole councel of God
Yes the spirit can not enter a person who is dead they must be born again as Peter said in Acts 2 and Paul confirmed in Romans 6

They are born again as Peter preached in Acts 2 You keep pointing to John three in which was Jesus preaching during the time the kingdom was to come it had not come at that time the spirit could not be given because Christ had not yet gone to the cross John 3 is fulfilled in Acts 2 after the cross.the reason you do not understand that baptism is not mentioned is because at that time Christ only pointed to it the baptism in of John was still in play

Yes the beginning of the gospel of Christ starts in the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and John but they are before the kingdom comes when the fulfillment of the cross is added that all the others p[oint to then we have the complete gosple of Christ from Acts forth.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so sure about that.
They seemed to be flying by the seat of their tunics.
We shouldn't put these humans on a pedestal.

The was the point of my Samaria topic.
Laying on of hands was a workaround. Water baptism was enough on the Day of Pentecost.

You made the same conclusion about Cornelius as you did with Samaria.
Which one was like Pentecost?
If you do not believe that Peter and the rest did not speak of their self but only the word of God given them by the spirit then we have nothing left to discuss because if we have not Gods written word as the truth to establish our doctrine then as you say anything can be preach but if we do it and not speak the oracles of God will God have mercy on our souls because we have been warned not spread falsehoods in Gods name.

The conclusion I made was by studying the word I saw many scriptures pointing me to my conclusion and I shared them here so why are they not correct? Is it because you do not believe or I misused the scriptures,

I am open to discuss why I came to the wrong understanding but only by the use of scripture to stand the test between our difference I do not expect you to take my word if I can not prove it by scripture and I will not take your word without scripture backing

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes the beginning of the gospel of Christ starts in the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and John but they are before the kingdom comes when the fulfillment of the cross is added that all the others p[oint to then we have the complete gosple of Christ from Acts forth.
There were 40 days between the Resurrection and the Ascension and another 10 days to Pentecost. (50 days)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you do not believe that Peter and the rest did not speak of their self but only the word of God given them by the spirit then we have nothing left to discuss...
Works for me.

"... nothing left to discuss..." -- The sad state of Christian discussion.
Their way, or the highway. Refuses to listen to anyone outside the tribe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes the spirit can not enter a person who is dead they must be born again as Peter said in Acts 2 and Paul confirmed in Romans 6

They are born again as Peter preached in Acts 2 You keep pointing to John three in which was Jesus preaching during the time the kingdom was to come it had not come at that time the spirit could not be given because Christ had not yet gone to the cross John 3 is fulfilled in Acts 2 after the cross.the reason you do not understand that baptism is not mentioned is because at that time Christ only pointed to it the baptism in of John was still in play

Excuse me sir

Jesus told us how to be born again in John three

you need to walk away from acts.. it has you confused

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excuse me sir

Jesus told us how to be born again in John three

you need to walk away from acts.. it has you confused
Was Jesus crucified in John or was it pointing to the Crucifixion you need to follow the bible and not get stuck in Johns gospel but see the acts of the Apostles following Jesus death and resurrection there is a whole bigger playing field my friend. The fully completed gospel is Christ and him crucified his death burial and resurrection which was first preached at Pentecost following his death not before

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was it a NEED to be baptized, or a desire?
He wasn't joining their church, as he was heading back to Ethiopia.
Seems he wanted to solidify a decision to follow Jesus.

We seem to be lining up on either side of whether baptism is needed for salvation.

@Jim C
Desire? Yes, AFTER, he was told about it and it's need! Needed for what? Forgiveness of sins, becoming part of the body of Christ, receiving the gift of the Spirit. He knew nothing about baptism until Philip told him. He knew nothing very much of anything including Christ.

Reactions: Godslittleservant

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus crucified in John or was it pointing to the Crucifixion you need to follow the bible and not get stuck in Johns gospel but see the acts of the Apostles following Jesus death and resurrection there is a whole bigger playing field my friend. The fully completed gospel is Christ and him crucified his death burial and resurrection which was first preached at Pentecost following his death not before
um

John wroteJesus gospel

Andjesus said if you want to be born again,that is why he came here To be risen on the cross so that whoever believes in him will not die, but live forever.

You need to make acts and John agree..

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
um

John wroteJesus gospel

Andjesus said if you want to be born again,that is why he came here To be risen on the cross so that whoever believes in him will not die, but live forever.

You need to make acts and John agree..
Everyone needs to SEE that Acts fully agrees with the Gospel.

There are people on this forum who actually believe there are two gospels - one for the Jew and one for the Gentile.

Gospel of John, Acts, Galatians, Ephesians and Romans all confirm One Savior/One Holy Spirit for One Body of Christ = Jew & Gentile Together as One.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are people on this forum who actually believe there are two gospels - one for the Jew and one for the Gentile.

Gospel of John, Acts, Galatians, Ephesians and Romans all confirm One Savior/One Holy Spirit for One Body of Christ = Jew & Gentile Together as One.
Every single word in the new testament agrees . I have always had great concern and worry
for those who try and pit letter against letter and try and teach things like james dont apply to us
or hebrews or etc . They try and preach the idea that somehow the words of CHRIST in the gospels no longer apply
or you name it they done done it . As for the lambs , WE SHALL EMBRACE ER WORD as meat for our soul .
And this idea there are two gospels cometh yet again FROM MAN , NOT GOD , NOT CHRIST and not the apostles either .
EVERY word is meat for our soul my friend . YEP . its just that simple .

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In fact, the general standard for determining what should be church doctrine is that It was said or done by Jesus in the Gospels and it is confirmed in the Book of Acts.

As far as I understand, this is to differentiate between what was for all vs what was meant specifically for the Jews at that time.