Reading vs. Studying the bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
What is the difference between Reading vs. Studying the bible? How do you study the bible? By which methods?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well thats a good question of course you have to read it to study it:)I suggest you start by Not just reading the scriptures over quickly but pay close attention to every word sometimes little words like ALL can make one really think about what that means ALL means All Pay attention to the Words God uses when he tells you something if he says Stars are angels, or people are waters, he is teaching you his symbolism so every time you read a verse with the word Star there could be a double meaning, is he really talking about stars or angels God teaches on differnt levels. One verse can mean much more than the surface text at first displays.These are just hints but to start you need a King James bible and a strongs concordance. The concordance shows you the original Hebrew or greek word used and its meaning. The englih falls short.You can use the online one Just type in a word put a check mark in the show strongs it will bring up every verse with that word in it next to the word is a little number click the number and it will take you to a dictionary with the hebrew or greek word and its meaning for example: lets look up air in Gen 1:26it shows its the hebrew word "shamayim": means1) heaven, heavens, skya) visible heavens, sky1) as abode of the stars2) as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc
cool.gif
Heaven (as the abode of God)Thats pretty close to what we think of as air but look it can also mean Heavenwe dont normally think of air as heaven but it could be applicable in some verseswhere you read air if its the same word as here it could be saying heavenNow lok at Mathew 6:26 it also says air but here it is a differnt hebrew wordits the word ...."Ouranos"1) the vaulted expanse of the sky with all things visible in ita) the universe, the world
cool.gif
the aerial heavens or sky, the region where the clouds and the tempests gather, and where thunder and lightning are producedc) the sidereal or starry heavens2) the region above the sidereal heavens, the seat of order of things eternal and consummately perfect where God dwells and other heavenly beingsYou can see it has a little differnt meaningI know this may sound confusing at first but start trying it you will soon find the bible is so much more than what you see on the surface Just start small like pick a verseand look up every word in the strongs and write down the meaning then read the verse according to your translation you will find the verse much more detailed and in depth then you ever realizedhope you are not pulling you hair out reading this.
smile.gif
Heres the link to the online strongs (dont forget the check mark) http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.html#search

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I wanted to add an important thing I forgot Pay attention to the subject and the object What is it talking about whats the object of what is being said.Who is being addressedect.Some of the on line Bibles like Biblegateway.com will even put a title above the chapters or in the middle when it changes to something else, a differnet subject also here is a great on line book that helps you understand rightly diving the Wordhttp://www.giveshare.org/library/enjoybible/index.htm

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
A good way to study the Bible is, First ask the Holy Spirit to Help you. Then pick any subject that you want, For an example, lets say healing. Then get a concordance and find out what the Bible says about healing, Remember God's word is for you, When I first got saved, I studied the Bible for two reasons, First, To find out what God expected of me, Second, to find out what I could expect from God. I use the King James Bible because I have a Hebrew and Greek key studie Bible and other Hebrew and Greek studie books that help me.You can't always understand the Bible at face value, you need to find Bible helps, after all we want to know what God is saying to us.If you are on the internet here is a good website for you, www.searchgodsword.orgType in any word you want, and you can see what the Hebrew[Old Testament] and Greek [new Testament] say about any subject that you want

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(kriss;30873)
Well thats a good question of course you have to read it to study it:)I suggest you start by Not just reading the scriptures over quickly but pay close attention to every word sometimes little words like ALL can make one really think about what that means ALL means All Pay attention to the Words God uses when he tells you something if he says Stars are angels, or people are waters, he is teaching you his symbolism so every time you read a verse with the word Star there could be a double meaning, is he really talking about stars or angels God teaches on differnt levels. One verse can mean much more than the surface text at first displays.These are just hints but to start you need a King James bible and a strongs concordance. The concordance shows you the original Hebrew or greek word used and its meaning. The englih falls short.You can use the online one Just type in a word put a check mark in the show strongs it will bring up every verse with that word in it next to the word is a little number click the number and it will take you to a dictionary with the hebrew or greek word and its meaning for example: lets look up air in Gen 1:26it shows its the hebrew word "shamayim": means1) heaven, heavens, skya) visible heavens, sky1) as abode of the stars2) as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc
cool.gif
Heaven (as the abode of God)Thats pretty close to what we think of as air but look it can also mean Heavenwe dont normally think of air as heaven but it could be applicable in some verseswhere you read air if its the same word as here it could be saying heavenNow lok at Mathew 6:26 it also says air but here it is a differnt hebrew wordits the word ...."Ouranos"1) the vaulted expanse of the sky with all things visible in ita) the universe, the world
cool.gif
the aerial heavens or sky, the region where the clouds and the tempests gather, and where thunder and lightning are producedc) the sidereal or starry heavens2) the region above the sidereal heavens, the seat of order of things eternal and consummately perfect where God dwells and other heavenly beingsYou can see it has a little differnt meaningI know this may sound confusing at first but start trying it you will soon find the bible is so much more than what you see on the surface Just start small like pick a verseand look up every word in the strongs and write down the meaning then read the verse according to your translation you will find the verse much more detailed and in depth then you ever realizedhope you are not pulling you hair out reading this.
smile.gif
Heres the link to the online strongs (dont forget the check mark) http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.html#search
Kriss,Thanks for the link to the online strongs.R. Thunder1PS.May God Bless your work and give you all new strenght on these sites !

MickinEngland

Dec 15, 2006
(Kimshi42;30845)
What is the difference between Reading vs. Studying the bible? How do you study the bible? By which methods?
Reading and studying are basically the same thing, but I don't like the word "study" at all because it implies the word of God is difficult to understand.Paul had the same concern-"I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)A copy of a single gospel in pocket-sized slimline booklet form of 30 pages or less can be picked up for a few pence in any bookshop,or free from most Christian groups, and can be read in just a couple of days.Those few pages are a treasure chest containing:-"..the unsearchable riches of Christ" (Eph 3:8-9)In which Jesus promises:-"I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world." (Matthew 13:35)In easily-understood language:-"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)Sadly there are still too many Christians who can't grasp that the essence of Christianity is SIMPLICITY; it's almost as if they think "Surely Christianity can't be as uncomplicated as that, it'd be too easy!"So instead of simply accepting Jesus's sparkling fresh water:-"Whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst." (John 4:14)they complicate it, thereby needlessly muddying the water."The more the words,the less the meaning,and how does that profit anyone?" (Ecc 6:11)That's why all sorts of conflicting Christian denominations and cults have arisen, each drinking a muddy home-brew of their own.Nobody needs to be a college graduate or Bible scholar to understand Jesus."Peter and John amazed the crowds by being ordinary unschooled men" (Acts 4:13)Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children"(Matthew 11:25-27)