Rejection of God mostly because of....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

humbleseeker

Oct 29, 2019
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The world is a better place, right now, than it ever has been, by any measure a human might care to use! And we even have metrics and websites to track them. Aside from some recent spikes, pretty much anything we might consider “evil” has been on a long decline."

Agree - this is well documented, example - see Steven Pinker TED talk. But our world is still a long way from perfect because of the presence of evil. God will restore a perfectly righteous universe at the end times via creation of the new heavens and Earth and "New Jerusalem".

Reactions: Wrangler

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"The world is a better place, right now, than it ever has been, by any measure a human might care to use! And we even have metrics and websites to track them. Aside from some recent spikes, pretty much anything we might consider “evil” has been on a long decline."

Agree - this is well documented, example - see Steven Pinker TED talk. But our world is still a long way from perfect because of the presence of evil. God will restore a perfectly righteous universe at the end times via creation of the new heavens and Earth and "New Jerusalem".
It does say: "But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 3.13-15)

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think nonbelievers rejection of God is mostly due to ;
- they demand a specific type of scientific evidence
- they cannot resolve the "problem of evil" (epicurus paradox")

hs,

Rom 1:18-20 (NLT) gives this reason:

18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness.a]">[a] 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.​

The truth of God's existence is obvious to (all) people but they are blinded to it by their wickedness. The remainder of Rom 1 tells of the kinds of wickedness they engage in to suppress God's truth.

This leaves them with "no excuse" before God.

Oz

Reactions: humbleseeker

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hs,

Rom 1:18-20 (NLT) gives this reason:

18 But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness.a]">[a] 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.​

The truth of God's existence is obvious to (all) people but they are blinded to it by their wickedness. The remainder of Rom 1 tells of the kinds of wickedness they engage in to suppress God's truth.

This leaves them with "no excuse" before God.

Oz
And Jesus said that those who reject Him do so, because light came into the world, but they love darkness and hate the light, in John 3.

Lack of evidence for God is the atheists cop-out, since God’s creation is sufficient evidence, so they are without excuse, per Romans 1.

Evil is temporarily allowed to continue until Jesus returns, because Adam transferred his dominion over the earth to Satan, who is now god of this world.

That explains why life can be hell - the devil runs it.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's one reason you didn't mention: unbelievers see the poor example that is often set by adherents of Orthodox Christianity. Many of these adherents' actions and words don't resemble those of Christ's at all. I see it in politics and just about everywhere else all the time. A lot of these "Christians" act and talk just like an unbeliever: they lie, they use abusive language towards people they disagree with, they use swear words, they cheat on their spouses, they engage in fornication, they abuse their authority in churches, they steal/swindle money from congregants, and the list goes on and on.

I can only speak from personal exp as a former atheist that i often remembered the times where this kind of stuff was going in the Protestant churches i attended as well as the churches i haven't attended. Adherents of Orthodox Christianity never stop to realize that unbelievers are watching how they are conducting themselves and comparing their behavior against the little knowledge they have of the Bible. When atheists and agnostics see how Orthodox churches treat Christianity as joke, they are going to do the same. I certainly did.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think nonbelievers rejection of God is mostly due to ;
- they demand a specific type of scientific evidence
- they cannot resolve the "problem of evil" (epicurus paradox")

Just as important is the perception of skeptics that Christianity doesn't deliver on its promises (e. g. that God honors His promises about the power of faith and prayer to heal in an obvious way).

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's one reason you didn't mention: unbelievers see the poor example that is often set by adherents of Orthodox Christianity. Many of these adherents' actions and words don't resemble those of Christ's at all.

So true!

On another website an Eastern Orthodox Christian was finally banned for intolerance. No matter what the thread topic was about, he connected it to how Protestant heretics are not going to infiltrate the one true church and he found clever and vicious ways of attacking all that disagreed.

One of my grandmother's told me she is going to heaven because she goes to Catholic Church everyday.

Such legalism by those who claim to represent the message of Christ, who condemned the legalists of his day most strongly, is so striking. There is no love, no grace, only adherents to ritual, spiritually dead.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
I think nonbelievers rejection of God is mostly due to
I believe you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. When considering why someone doesn't believe something it is helpful to assess why they would believe a particular thing in the first place. So the better question is why doesn't everyone accept your, or more broadly the Christian concept of deity?

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
But people are too blind to see that those mercies and blessings come from God.
What logical, evidence-based reason would a person have for coming to the conclusion that the origin of that which we enjoy is from your concept of deity?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What logical, evidence-based reason would a person have for coming to the conclusion that the origin of that which we enjoy is your concept of deity?
What do you mean about my 'concept of deity'? Sorry this thread is so old I have forgotten the point of it so forgive me. If you go back to post number 11 and follow thread you will see my comments in context.

humbleseeker

Oct 29, 2019
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. When considering why someone doesn't believe something it is helpful to assess why they would believe a particular thing in the first place. So the better question is why doesn't everyone accept your, or more broadly the Christian concept of deity?

Christians know God with certainty from many ways such as:
- innate knowledge, examples - how to breath, how to cry, how to love, there is an intelligent designer (life is not a meaningless accident, etc...). Deep down we all sense there is a GOD. Nonbelievers suppress their innate knowledge of God.
- physical evidence, examples - nature, human birth/complexity/DNA, etc... 1st law of thermodynamics (something from nothing NOT!), 2nd law of thermodynamics (law of increasing disorder vs evolution).
- experiential evidence - a personal relationship with God that yields a life of love, joy, peace, purpose. Answered prayers/Devine intervention.
- receiving the Holy Spirit - erases all doubts, proper perspective in all things, no need for debate. Joy in doing good and helping others not for a reward but because it brings joy. Those lacking the Holy Spirit can only mock and ridicule because they cannot understand.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What logical, evidence-based reason would a person have for coming to the conclusion that the origin of that which we enjoy is from your concept of deity?
That's very simple.
1. Purchase a set of LEGO blocks
2. Lay them all out in the order required.
3. Wait for them to join themselves together without your involvement.

Will anything happen? Absolutely not. Now look around you or even think about your own anatomy and the intricate detail. Could it all have come together on its own without a Creator? Absolutely not. So you choose to IGNORE the evidence which is right in front of you. That is called wilful ignorance.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Deep down we all sense there is a GOD.
Nope, millions, perhaps billions throughout time don't so the above statement is DEFINATIVELY false and a flat out lie at worst or wishful thinking and projecting at best.
experiential evidence - a personal relationship with God
Oh, personal bias, that's trustworthy........

Now look around you or even think about your own anatomy and the intricate detail. Could it all have come together on its own without a Creator?
My body is the direct product of two humans I called mother and father procreating. Their involvement does NOTHING to prop up your claims regarding divinity.
What you are essentially saying is that "things didn't come from nowhere, so the credit for things being here MUST go to the concept of deity I subscribe to." Such a conclusion is so flawed and rather than inserting your deistic concept FOR NO REASON, the better approach would be to study how reality works to see if a proper understanding and conclusion can be reached by following the actual evidence.
So you choose to IGNORE the evidence which is right in front of you.
Actually, that's what it sounds like you are doing. You have a preconceived belief and instead of searching for answers you have predetermined an answer and attempt to pigeonhole things into the construct of your preexisting bias.

Reactions: Curtis

humbleseeker

Oct 29, 2019
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You (truthot) won't like hearing this but you simply can't understand the truth without taking that leap of faith. Faith in God coupled with the Holy Spirit's presence allows Christians to achieve love, joy, peace, and purpose. Again, Those lacking the Holy Spirit can only mock and ridicule because they cannot understand. Scoffing and insults don't affect God's truth. True Christians vs non-believer debates are mostly pointless because its not a level playing field. I hope you have a genuine interest in learning from this forum and not just trolling. Good luck with your search for truth.
God bless.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
True Christians vs non-believer debates are mostly pointless because its not a level playing field.
Stop presenting yourself as the authority. These debates can be fruitless for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the arrogance expressed in your statement above. The sad part is, you probably think you're being humble. "Unless you are one of us you won't understand!" How Pharisee like...…

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My body is the direct product of two humans I called mother and father procreating.
I am not talking about that. Spend some time studying all the systems within the body -- the skeletal, muscular, circulatory, nervous, digestive, reproductive, and immune systems. Do you really think that they could have been designed without a Creator?

And if you refuse to accept the fact that they are indeed marvelous, therefore God created them, then you are simply a fool. The fool has said in his heart "There is no God!"

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Do you really think that they could have been designed without a Creator?
I don't know how genetics work well enough to tell how the how. I am honest enough to say I don't know and not add in my preferred deity concept as a place filler for my lack of understanding.