Religious Catch-Phrases Replace God's Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Many Christians today, through the religious organizations that they are part of are indoctrinated with slogans and a few isolated Scriptures rather than being instructed in the whole counsel of God’s Word, which would lead them to holiness.

Some of the things we hear today are: “Everyone sins”; “Christians aren’t perfect; they are just forgiven”; “Well, after all, nobody’s perfect”; “Don’t doubt your salvation"; “Once saved, always saved”; "I heard you pray the sinners prayer”; “It’s easy to be saved"; "all you have to do is follow me in this prayer.”

Through their traditions, doctrines and rituals, the religious "structures" today have become an expression of a form of godliness rather than becoming an expression of Jesus Christ (which is true godliness).

More often than not, most people are being led to make a commitment to the "structure" (institution, doctrine, tradition) rather than to Jesus. What happens then is that the structure becomes an idol in our hearts that we don't want to give up and Jesus' voice becomes fainter and fainter.

What we have come to today (because of the false gospels being preached) is that , it does not matter how the church member lives or whether they have unforgiveness one towards another. It only matters that they show up for the religious exercises and tithe.

And this is when a spirit of sleep (spiritual slumber and darkness) will settle upon the congregation and the Spirit of God can not have any control over their lives because they have become lords of their own lives all the while they are honoring God with their lips. They settle into living in spiritual darkness and they call it LIGHT. :eek:

"This people honor me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men” (Mark 7:6-8 )

Yes, it is vain to worship God with your lips (because He does not have your heart).

So, how can we turn from sin and walk in righteousness? God's Word shows us the true motives of our heart if we come to God's Word with ALL OF OUR HEART. If we come to God's Word with a divided heart (ulterior motives) rather than hungering and thirsting after righteousness, we will just have a RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE. But if we come to God's Word with ALL OF OUR HEART, we will be changed.

Only as the Word divides spirit from soul and flesh can we then learn to hear the Holy Spirit speak to us. We then are able to turn aside from soulish and fleshly religion and walk before the Lord in holiness and purity, putting to death all the deeds of the flesh. “As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the formal lusts in your ignorance: But as He which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ya holy for I am holy” (1 Pet. 1: 14-16)

The Pharisees were blinded to righteousness and holiness because of their religious structures. They created these religious structures around Abraham ("We have Abraham as our father") the Mosaic Law mammon and lording over men (wanting to be the ones in control). They watered down God's Word by adding their traditions to it or taking away what they did not like and their structures led them after carnal traditions and fleshly desires.

Because the Pharisees were blinded, they could receive no more light from the Word of God.

And when the Word of God is not able to have any place in you, it is because God does not have your heart. He that is of God hears God’s Words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

It is no different today for people whose hearts have been captured by carnal traditions, which lead people after fleshly lusts. They will hate everyone who brings new light contrary to their religious structures:

“But if our gospel is hid, it is hid to them that are lost: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them” (2 Cor. 4:3,4).

Satan and the powers of darkness blind the minds of all who receive their lies (wrapped up to look like truth).

Reactions: IanLC and meshak

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Axehead - sorry but i do not see any post here that advocates ritual over relationship. Instead, i see people accusing others of advocating for ritual without evidence. In fact, the practice has become so common in some christian circles that it resembles the very jargon that you are crticizing

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
aspen2 said:
Axehead - sorry but i do not see any post here that advocates ritual over relationship. Instead, i see people accusing others of advocating for ritual without evidence. In fact, the practice has become so common in some christian circles that it resembles the very jargon that you are crticizing
For example? please elaborate.

thanks.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
aspen2 said:
Vatican Parking Lot
church-members-only.jpg

Reactions: meshak

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks for providing a perfect example, Rex. there you go, Axehead - Rex has used a picture of a parking policy to imply that the catholic church teaches ritual over relationship. I would laugh, but the guy is actually serious......

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hey Axehead,

I agree...there's plenty of "popular Christian catch phrases" in the Pentecostal movement as well.

Blessings!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
aspen2 said:
Well, let's see. Off the top of my head, how about, "Our Church is the only Church of Jesus Christ"?

Which leads people to believe salvation comes through that particular church.

Or how about, "only through our church can you experience the fullness of the faith".

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
It all boils down to this: do you love the truth? Those who love the truth come to the light; those who don't, don't, yet pretend that they do.

hypocrite
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Origin:
1175–1225; Middle English ipocrite < Old French < Late Latin hypocrita < Greek hypokritḗs a stage actor, hence one who pretends to be what he is not

meshak

Mar 18, 2013
aspen2 said:
thanks for providing a perfect example, Rex. there you go, Axehead - Rex has used a picture of a parking policy to imply that the catholic church teaches ritual over relationship. I would laugh, but the guy is actually serious......
laugh away all you want. You are one of very typical ones that the OP is describing about.

ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
It all boils down to this: do you love the truth? Those who love the truth come to the light; those who don't, don't, yet pretend that they do.

hypocrite
1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Origin:
1175–1225; Middle English ipocrite < Old French < Late Latin hypocrita < Greek hypokritḗs a stage actor, hence one who pretends to be what he is not
So what is your point? You think OP is not good, describing the unchristian organizations?

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catchy religious phrases in the churches of Christendom are common, but say nothing accurately Scripturally. For example, the phrase "once saved, always saved" is not true, but is a push toward saying that "anything goes" once a person is "saved", that Jehovah God will forgive you no matter what you do and give you life anyway, rather than understanding Jesus words that the ' road to life' would be "cramped" and the ' gate narrow', with "few are the ones finding it."(Matt 7:14)

Or the religious phrase of "believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved". This religious phrase has been "sung" for centuries by the churches, without regard for Matthew 7:13, 14 nor of verses 21-23, for Jesus established that many would call him "Lord" but would fail the test of being a true Christian.

These ones fail or do not want to grasp just what it means to follow in Jesus "footsteps".(1 Pet 2:21) They allow anyone as a member who puts money on the tithing plate, regardless of the attitudes and personality traits they display, be it from a foul mouth to immoral behavior to alcoholism to smoking and drug abuse, rather than recognizing that a genuine Christian has to "measure up " to God's holy standards (2 Thess 1:5) of being "no part of the world" (John 15:19), such as the political arena and its military or of moral cleanness, rejecting same-sex marriage or a divorce that is not founded on fornication.(Matt 5:31, 32)

After Jehudi had read from the scroll that was written down by Jeremiah's secretary Baruch under Jehovah's direction concerning the future destruction of the nation (Jer 36:1, 2, 4, 5) to king Jehoiakim (Jer 36:21), then Jehoiakim reacted by "pitching it...into the fire that was in the brazier until all the roll ended up in the fire that was in the brazier."(Jer 36:23) Jehoiakim refused to listen to Jehovah's words through the prophet Jeremiah, but perhaps in his eyes, the nation was still in good standing with God. Yet, only sixteen years later, the nation was destroyed by the Babylonians in 607 B.C.E.(2 Kings 25:1-4)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'you need to live intentionally' - emergent church jargon

'place it at the foot of the cross'

'God is not finished with me yet'

'I am not perfect, just forgive'

jargon can help to strengthen bonds within a community, but it can also be used to shut others out.

Meshak - I rarely use Catholic jargon on this board. if i do use wider Christian jargon i always attempt to define the terms i use.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The bible is the word of God, strange hey, it has replaced Jesus. and the Holy Spirit.

In all His Love

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Axehead said:
Well, let's see. Off the top of my head, how about, "Our Church is the only Church of Jesus Christ"?

Which leads people to believe salvation comes through that particular church.

Or how about, "only through our church can you experience the fullness of the faith".
Though the phrase "Our Church is the only Church of Jesus Christ" has been used, is it true that there is only one true religion ? At Ephesians 4, the apostle Paul said that there is "one Lord, one faith, one baptism".(Eph 4:5) Hence, are there many "faiths" in the Bible or just one that pleases God ? Paul establishes only one. James wrote of the "pure religion and undefiled before God.....unspotted from the world."(James 1:27, KJV)

Yet, in Christendom, there are an estimated 41,000 different denominations and sects. But the Bible says that only one is the right religion. On four different occasions (John 4:23, 24; 8:31, 32; 14:6; 18:37), Jesus spoke of "the truth". Is truth ever at odds with itself ? Facts do not change, there not being 41,000 different "truths". So what is the religious "truth" that is found in the Bible, or another way of putting it, what religion is the one true religion ?

In addition, Jesus said that the "road leading off into life" would be "cramped" and the "gate" narrow, whereas the "road leading off into destruction" was "broad and spacious".(Matt 7:13, 14) Thence, the one true religion would be so difficult to follow that most would reject it in favor of the "broad and spacious road", though professing to be Christian.

Jesus said that many would profess to follow him, by calling "Lord, Lord", but he also said these ones failed in "doing God's will" and told them to "get away from me, you workers of lawlessness !"(Matt 7:21-23) Therefore, what are the identifying marks of a genuine Christian, of the one true religion, that would set them apart from the counterfeit Christians that Jesus spoke at Matthew 13:25, calling them "weeds" ?

(1) Those who practice it have genuine love among themselves.(John 13:34,35; 1 John 4:8)

(2) All their beliefs are based on the Bible.(John 17:17; 2 Tim 3:16,17)

(3) They pray for God's name of Jehovah to be hallowed or sanctified.(Matt 6:9; Ps 83:18)

(4) They proclaim God's kingdom in all the earth, not some political or social philosophy.(Matt 24:14; Acts 28:23)

(5) They keep separate from the world's affairs, untainted by the world's politics or conflicts, remaining neutral in time of war.(James 1:27; John 17:14)

(6) They put God's kingdom and his righteousness first in their lives.(Matt 6:33)

(7) They cultivate the fruitage of God's spirit, not condoning war or personal violence.(Gal 5:22,23; Rom 12:17-21)

(8) They obey all human laws not contrary to God's law.(Rom 13:1-7)

(9) The true religion successfully unites people of every race, language, and tribe. It does not preach nationalism or hatred, but love worldwide.(Isaiah 2:2-4; Col 3:10,11)

(10) The true religion teaches the truth regarding God's purpose for man and the earth.(Matt 5:5; Ps 115:16; Isaiah 45:18)