Religious Delusions?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I hear or read, "The Lord told me...." or, "I was led by the Lord to...." I toss it into the rubbish bin. That is delusional and I'd be truly scammed to believe it without proof; proof such raising the dead or some such. The Apostles themselves gave miracles as proof of their messages; why should we expect less from any other ordinary or unknown person in this day? Our entire Bible is confirmed by miracles so grand they could not be denied, especially the resurrection that divided history into BC and AD.

I can believe, "A verse came to mind prompting my decision, and probably the Holy Spirit caused that verse to come to mind..." that I can accept. Or, I can also accept the statement that "A certain passage of scripture leads me to believe this, that or the other is the best course of action."

It is no wonder there are hundreds of differing groups claiming to be holding to the Christian truth, when they depart from the written word, and listen to the voices in their head. In other realms of life we'd be sending for the men with the white coats to cart these people away for their own good as well as the safety of society.
Well god did not duct tape His mouth once Pentecost occurred. He still speaks and directs people to do things. Problem is that way too many use this phrase to bring in seducing spirits and heresies into teh church with "new revelation."

The Lord directs people and speaks to them in accomplishing His plan for their lives. Gods will is identical for all, but His plan is tailored to each individual.

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my favorite examples of God speaking to me,

I had a bad mouth infection that didn't resolve for several months. Between the pain and the antibiotics I could barely eat and couldn't digest. The last couple of weeks were terrible. I lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks. Much of my muscle mass was gone. I was in bed so much my back was a mass of spasms due to pinched nerves, and nerve damage. This was a very bad time.

I remember laying in my bed, realizing, if I don't get out of this bed, and start to eat something, I'm going to die here! And I prayed, and asked God, What can I even eat???

His answer was quick, and clear. Eat yogurt, and eat figs.

Yogurt!! Duh!! I should have known that! Of course, it's perfect! Soft, protein, and probiotics. But figs? I'd never had a fig in my life!

So I got some yogurt, and got some figs, and started to eat them.

Figs?

After I was recovering, I researched about figs. They are known for repairing nerve, muscle, and bone damage. Wow! It's like God knows what I need!

I knew about yogurt, but figs weren't ever a part of my life. That was God telling me what I should eat, when I asked Him. I still eat them every day, I love figs! And I've learn that it makes my hair grow thicker. I slowly becoming bald on top, and now it's filled back in. I know its the figs, because over the past 4 or 5 years I've stopped eating them for a bit, 4 times I did this, to see my hair thin out. When I start eating them again, it fills back in.

Figs! Who knew? God. And He told.

Much love!
Mark, did you hear an audible voice of God, or did figs seem to come into your mind for some reason not well understood. I was going through a very difficult period in life covering many months, and in exasperation in prayer before sleep, I just complained to the Lord, "I've done all I know humanly possible to deal with this, if it is to be taken care of , it has to be you", or words to that effect. The next morning I had a calm as I'd not experienced in a very long time, and that difficulty was no longer of such importance to me. I do not deny that God indeed answers prayer, but as to audible speaking???

Arthur81

Jul 9, 2023
Tampa, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well god did not duct tape His mouth once Pentecost occurred. He still speaks and directs people to do things. Problem is that way too many use this phrase to bring in seducing spirits and heresies into teh church with "new revelation."

The Lord directs people and speaks to them in accomplishing His plan for their lives. Gods will is identical for all, but His plan is tailored to each individual.
Just because things are done in biblical times, unless we are given scriptural reason to believe it is to be continued in us, I'll avoid such things. I see the following as a guide where it is apparently Paul who shunned the boast of special treatment from God.

"It may do no good, but I must go on with my boasting; I come now to visions and revelations granted by the Lord. I know a Christian man who fourteen years ago (whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know—God knows) was caught up as far as the third heaven. And I know that this same man (whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know—God knows) was caught up into paradise, and heard words so secret that human lips may not repeat them. About such a man I am ready to boast; but I will not boast on my own account, except of my weaknesses. If I chose to boast, it would not be the boast of a fool, for I should be speaking the truth. But I refrain, because I do not want anyone to form an estimate of me which goes beyond the evidence of his own eyes and ears." (2Cor 12:1-6 REB)

"Again, when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; they love to say their prayers standing up in synagogues and at street corners for everyone to see them. Truly I tell you: they have their reward already." (Matt 6:5 REB)

I do not think many are impressed when football players make a show of themselves kneeling in prayer on the football field before the game, and then churches go so far as to change Sunday worship schedule around the Super Bowl, etc.

Or, Christian celebrities making a point of wearing a cross visibly on a necklace is done by mafia members too, so what sort of witness is that? When I see or hear someone claim God told him this, that or the other; I place that in the same category as the preceding, or it is someone truly in need of psychiatric care. It is one thing to be so moved that you may feel AS IF God was verbally speaking to you, but I'll stay with the written word of God rather than claiming "God told me..."

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just because things are done in biblical times, unless we are given scriptural reason to believe it is to be continued in us, I'll avoid such things. I see the following as a guide where it is apparently Paul who shunned the boast of special treatment from God.

"It may do no good, but I must go on with my boasting; I come now to visions and revelations granted by the Lord. I know a Christian man who fourteen years ago (whether in the body or out of the body, I do not know—God knows) was caught up as far as the third heaven. And I know that this same man (whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know—God knows) was caught up into paradise, and heard words so secret that human lips may not repeat them. About such a man I am ready to boast; but I will not boast on my own account, except of my weaknesses. If I chose to boast, it would not be the boast of a fool, for I should be speaking the truth. But I refrain, because I do not want anyone to form an estimate of me which goes beyond the evidence of his own eyes and ears." (2Cor 12:1-6 REB)

"Again, when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; they love to say their prayers standing up in synagogues and at street corners for everyone to see them. Truly I tell you: they have their reward already." (Matt 6:5 REB)

I do not think many are impressed when football players make a show of themselves kneeling in prayer on the football field before the game, and then churches go so far as to change Sunday worship schedule around the Super Bowl, etc.

Or, Christian celebrities making a point of wearing a cross visibly on a necklace is done by mafia members too, so what sort of witness is that? When I see or hear someone claim God told him this, that or the other; I place that in the same category as the preceding, or it is someone truly in need of psychiatric care. It is one thing to be so moved that you may feel AS IF God was verbally speaking to you, but I'll stay with the written word of God rather than claiming "God told me..."
Well the written Word is the absolute! And any inner urges or voices (as people say) will never contradict Scripture. I know of many times when the Lord "spoke to me". It was in reference of avoiding unseen dangers, or directing me to specific people or places to share the gospel. He still leads and guides in the affairs of living as His children! We just need to be well grounded in the Word and of a heart set that can hear the gentle instructions.

It is not for new revelation or doctrine, but guiding us to accomplish His will in the specifics of life, or to protect us from unknown pitfalls ahead.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Figs sound good . I have not eaten them in a long time . I just have to find the natural figs
and not that junk they coated with all that nasty refined sugar and corn syrup .
Do you know where one can find just good natural figs .
If you have a nice sized yard, fig trees are easy to grow. (You should plant paw paw trees in the understory of any tall trees you have.)

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have a nice sized yard, fig trees are easy to grow. (You should plant paw paw trees in the understory of any tall trees you have.)
I watched a couple of holocaust movies today . Christain films .
Just a reminder of what is soon to come against all who conform not to sie digital all inclusive beast serving system .
I seen where sister besty had told corrie ten boom her sister
that before the new year they would both be free .
Besty died in prison on dec sixteenth and twelve days later on twenty eighth of dec corrie was set free from prison .
So they both WERE SET FREE . Corrie from prison and besty from her earthly body . YEAH betsy was FREE WITH THE KING .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the written Word is the absolute! And any inner urges or voices (as people say) will never contradict Scripture. I know of many times when the Lord "spoke to me". It was in reference of avoiding unseen dangers, or directing me to specific people or places to share the gospel. He still leads and guides in the affairs of living as His children! We just need to be well grounded in the Word and of a heart set that can hear the gentle instructions.

It is not for new revelation or doctrine, but guiding us to accomplish His will in the specifics of life, or to protect us from unknown pitfalls ahead.
Yep . stay glued in the bible and let the LORD be praised .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark, did you hear an audible voice of God, or did figs seem to come into your mind for some reason not well understood. I was going through a very difficult period in life covering many months, and in exasperation in prayer before sleep, I just complained to the Lord, "I've done all I know humanly possible to deal with this, if it is to be taken care of , it has to be you", or words to that effect. The next morning I had a calm as I'd not experienced in a very long time, and that difficulty was no longer of such importance to me. I do not deny that God indeed answers prayer, but as to audible speaking???
No, it was not an audible voice. But the reason is well understood.

:)

He speaks to me. I know that. I treasure that. Do you believe you can converse with God? I do. For a reason.

Much love!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it was not an audible voice. But the reason is well understood.

:)

He speaks to me. I know that. I treasure that. Do you believe you can converse with God? I do. For a reason.

Much love!
100% agreed.

God leads each and every one of His children.