Remember the real reason for the season!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
OzSpen said:
When was the census, mate? You were the one cynically asking me questions about the census. We can go nowhere with this discussion when you do this! :rolleyes:

Looks like you went far off topic all together. "Time of celebration of Christmas is a celebration of the census." According to your own words you are now celebrating census and not birthday of Christ. I do not even see what celebrating of census has to do with Christianity at all.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Skitnik said:
Looks like you went far off topic all together. "Time of celebration of Christmas is a celebration of the census." According to your own words you are now celebrating census and not birthday of Christ. I do not even see what celebrating of census has to do with Christianity at all.
Mine was a factious comment based on your statement in the OP:
Christ was not born on the “Christmas” day. No shepherd in the right mind would keep his flocks out in the fields in December and not matter how demented no Roman Caesar would order a census that time of the year. Depending on who is counting approximate dates of Christ’s birthday are estimated to be somewhere between Abril and June.
I do not believe in the celebration of the census but I was using a play on words, relating to what you said in the OP. I'm sorry to have caused some misdirection in the discussion.

Oz

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
It's Christmas dinner at our place this year. The children, spouses and grandchildren alternate years with parents. It's our turn this year, but our youngest, Jeff, wife and 2 littlies will not be travelling here from Canberra because of the recent birth of baby Jemima Rose.

Summer is not bad. Today's expected temperature range is 20-27C but it is warming to 32C later in the week. We've had a few storms that brought 15-20mm of rain. Grass is green and needs plenty of lawn mowing. Fortunately the yard is very small. I purchased a cordless whipper snipper (my mate in Ohio calls it a weed eater).

The cricket season is warming up and I'm enjoying it. The Big Bash starts on Thursday night. It's a shortened form of the game with lots of big hitting. Gets the crowd buzzing.

Oz
Good for you...hope you have a Blessed time.

It's hovering around -10 here lately but has been as low as -15. Not much snow this year. I was back in Toronto last week and no snow there at all. The coldest it got was -5 but was around +5 during the day.

We call them weed eaters here as well.

I like watching cricket, even though I don't really understand a lot of it. Probably because I'm such a big baseball fan. :)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Skitnik said:
I agree with Oz...you're now striving about words and equivocating, instead of staying ON topic and dealing directly with responses to YOUR OP, in the spirit they are given.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
Good for you...hope you have a Blessed time.

It's hovering around -10 here lately but has been as low as -15. Not much snow this year. I was back in Toronto last week and no snow there at all. The coldest it got was -5 but was around +5 during the day.

We call them weed eaters here as well.

I like watching cricket, even though I don't really understand a lot of it. Probably because I'm such a big baseball fan. :)
Stan,

In harmony with the OP, I remember the real reason for the season is to celebrate the birth of our Saviour in Bethlehem - the Saviour who was to shed his blood. Oh no! That will mean another celebration - Easter. :rolleyes:

Cricket was invented by the Poms (the British). Here are links to the Big Bash League that starts on Thursday evening Brisbane time.

Plenty of cricket and tennis at this time of the year, but we must not forget that we are celebrating the Messiah's becoming flesh.

It is interesting that at the time of writing the NT (especially books such as Colossians and 1 John), one of the main heretical groups that opposed the very concept of Jesus becoming flesh was the Gnostics. They were a thorn in the flesh for a few centuries after the birth, passion-resurrection.

I had better get to helping my wife remove her portable keyboard from the car. She has been playing in a church band (jazz) at a local retirement village.

Gotta go,
Oz

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Well trying to play God and celibrate the Saviours birth, when it is a pagan based day, certainly is not "cricket"..why don't you just give thanks to God every day for the saviour, instead of knocking yourself out trying to observe one day a year which is rank paganism, and right out of Babylon...if you Love the saviour why don't you heed His words in Matthew 15 and Mark 7...don't follow the traditions of man but follow the commandments of God.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
Well trying to play God and celibrate the Saviours birth, when it is a pagan based day, certainly is not "cricket"..why don't you just give thanks to God every day for the saviour, instead of knocking yourself out trying to observe one day a year which is rank paganism, and right out of Babylon...if you Love the saviour why don't you heed His words in Matthew 15 and Mark 7...don't follow the traditions of man but follow the commandments of God.
Nobody is playing God and nobody is celebrating a pagan festival, which no longer exists and was celebrated at least 2 weeks earlier in the month. Best to understand the issues before opining on them. Jesus was speaking about the verbal Laws of the Pharisees, which as far as I can see, no one here follows.
As far as Jesus being OK with this, did he not say about communion; do this in remembrance of Me.?
You assume much but don't really understand the Biblical perspective.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Lol...you are the one who wants to play God, and does not understand the Bible..why don't you just stick to what it says??? Oh well you would sooner follow the traditions of man,than the commandments of God, thats your free will...this Dec 25th day with it's spike in clinical depression, I wonder why? Seems this pagan day, that folks knock themselves out trying to keep, and when they fall short of their expectations..it's depression city...oh well the shrinks love it..just prescribe some more happy pills for these poor poor misled souls...thats the way of the world....

btw take communion whenever your want, just don't use it to commemorate a pagan day such as dec 25th and easter...and did you know you can give thanks to God for Jesus birth every day, not just once a year on a pagan day...Bet you didn't know that!

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
Lol...you are the one who wants to play God, and does not understand the Bible..why don't you just stick to what it says??? Oh well you would sooner follow the traditions of man,than the commandments of God, thats your free will...this Dec 25th day with it's spike in clinical depression, I wonder why? Seems this pagan day, that folks knock themselves out trying to keep, and when they fall short of their expectations..it's depression city...oh well the shrinks love it..just prescribe some more happy pills for these poor poor misled souls...thats the way of the world....

btw take communion whenever your want, just don't use it to commemorate a pagan day such as dec 25th and easter...and did you know you can give thanks to God for Jesus birth every day, not just once a year on a pagan day...Bet you didn't know that!
Ignoring facts and sticking to your erroneous views is why you don't get much feedback other than negative ones. NOBODY is celebrating a pagan holiday except maybe in your own small mind. I suggest you actually KNOW the facts before making fallacious statements as per usual. http://www.healthline.com/health/depression/holidays

Another obfuscative assertion, because I was talking about Jesus wanting things to be remembered, and I believe that was much more than communion, seeing as He also celebrated Passover. I actually doubt you've given Jesus thanks in a long long time brother.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
A typical arrogant, pompous reply from stan j no real Bible substance fo back it up...he refers to in previous post "Biblical perspective"..in other words he would like everyone to follow his non Biblical, flawed Biblical perspective..maybe he should actually learn the Bible, especially the teachings of Jesus in the New Covenant before making such arrogant statements...he would like everyone to follow the traditions of man, and not the commandments of God, in direct conflict with the teachings of Jesus...a wolf in sheeps clothing...yes it would definitely seem so based on his personal attacks which are strictly from his apparently small uniformed perspective...typical of such an arrogant, know it all individual he likes to jump around and try and avoid answering with Biblical facts....As I pointed out, yes you can take communion at passover, or anytime, that was an instruction from Jesus at the night before His crucifixion...and as I pointed out to Stan J...we can give thanks to God for all our blessings, including the gift of Jesus, which God gave to the world, every day, not just on some pagan based non Biblical day once a year...
Stan J should know by now salvation is through the Son of God, God's grace and commandments and not the traditons, doctrines and days of the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter, all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origins.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
A typical arrogant, pompous reply from stan j no real Bible substance fo back it up...he refers to in previous post "Biblical perspective"..in other words he would like everyone to follow his non Biblical, flawed Biblical perspective..maybe he should actually learn the Bible, especially the teachings of Jesus in the New Covenant before making such arrogant statements...he would like everyone to follow the traditions of man, and not the commandments of God, in direct conflict with the teachings of Jesus...a wolf in sheeps clothing...yes it would definitely seem so based on his personal attacks which are strictly from his apparently small uniformed perspective...typical of such an arrogant, know it all individual he likes to jump around and try and avoid answering with Biblical facts....As I pointed out, yes you can take communion at passover, or anytime, that was an instruction from Jesus at the night before His crucifixion...and as I pointed out to Stan J...we can give thanks to God for all our blessings, including the gift of Jesus, which God gave to the world, every day, not just on some pagan based non Biblical day once a year...
Stan J should know by now salvation is through the Son of God, God's grace and commandments and not the traditons, doctrines and days of the sungod/satan and his days of sunday, dec 25th and easter, all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origins.
and the bloviating continues....all previously addressed and refuted. You definitely have an axe to grind but it's not with me, it's with the Holy Spirit who is trying to free you from your religious mindset. It's time for you to go on my ignore list.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Grow up stan and smell the coffee...you should have the dignity to apologize to Skitnik for calling his original post "garbage"..but you won't...pompous and arrogant people like yourself who are so full of themselves, will not admit they are wrong, even though they are and following their own flawed agenda even though it is seriously flawed, and out of sync with what the Bible actually says...but everybody learns someday that arrogance precedes a fall!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Whats christmas about, teh world, the rich get richer the poor get poorer, men spend money and people get things they dont want or need, but its fun. If people choose this one day of teh year to think about Jesus than it cant be bad, besides my Grand daugheter enjoys oit. It is what it is.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Too bad you can't teach your granddaughter to appreciate and give thanks for Jesus every day of the year. Why do you have to wait for one day a year? A pagan day at that, with NO Biblical authority whatsoever...you want to follow the traditions of man and not the commandments of God, go for it even though Jesus came against the practice in Matthew 15 and Mark 7...

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
This is garbage. We are celebrating Christmas, Jesus' birthday. The fact that a pagan holiday was celebrated earlier in the month, and was changed to a more Greek style of celebration around 217 BC, is irrelevant.
In fact, it no longer exists and has been replaced by Christmas, which IMO, regardless of all who may celebrate something different at this time of year, including Hanukkah, is not the Christian perspective. It may be under attack today by many other religious holidays, but as true believers, we KNOW the difference and can celebrate the proper reason. After all, unbelievers will NEVER celebrate Jesus' birth.
See what I mean....everybody elses' posts are garbage to the self proclaimed expert in Calgary Alta..who does not seem to know the Bible, but sure can spout the "traditions of man" which he thinks should be kept instead of the Bible...Arrogant? Prime example of arrogance and self adulation....

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Too bad you can't teach your granddaughter to appreciate and give thanks for Jesus every day of the year. Why do you have to wait for one day a year? A pagan day at that, with NO Biblical authority whatsoever...you want to follow the traditions of man and not the commandments of God, go for it even though Jesus came against the practice in Matthew 15 and Mark 7...
Why are you so angry, whos celebtrating christmas, it has nothing to do with anything, do you think God cares, if it draws men to Him do you think He has a problem with it, I dont celebrate it as such I just go through the motions, if not for My granddaughter it wouldnt happen, didnt for a good 12 years. has nothing to do with Jesus and everything to do with teh world. If people want to celebrate it as the birth of Christ so be it, who are we to argue with that.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
I am not angry my friend...but I see a lot of suffering, in North America, and especially where I am in Asia now, where poor people who are taught by "christians" to follow this pagan day with all the festivities, and gift buying..these people cannot afford it, and because of this, this time of the year is miserable for them and their children, as they cannot reach the the level of expectation feel they should be at....depression and suicides reach a high in these areas....why? Because some counterfeit christians tell them they should do all this to celebrate the birth of Jesus? It's not Biblical...Yes Jesus was a wonderful gift God gave to the world..so thank God and celebrate His birth everyday, without all the pagan customs and traditions attached.....

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes HTE if christians would like to celebrate christmas as teh birth of Christ, maybe they should do what He did and give to the poor, As I said christmas has nothing to do with Jesus.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Yes HTE if christians would like to celebrate christmas as teh birth of Christ, maybe they should do what He did and give to the poor, As I said christmas has nothing to do with Jesus.
The fact that CHRIST is in the Word, and that it started with celebrating the BIRTH of Jesus doesn't mean a thing to you?

It has PLENTY to do with Jesus, it you actually paid attention.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The fact that CHRIST is in the Word, and that it started with celebrating the BIRTH of Jesus doesn't mean a thing to you?
Yes Christ is mentioned in the bible, but God forbid, give Jesus 2 days a year, He is worth every second of every minute of every hour of every day of evry month of evrey year of the rest of my life and to eternity, and still I dont give His enough of my time. Is He not worth that to you??

Dont recall them celebrating His birth in teh bible.

In all His Love