Remember the real reason for the season!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
Remember the real reason for the season.

Happy birthday Saturn!

Yes you are celebrating “baptized” pagan “holyday” of Saturnalia.

When Christianity became official religion of Roman Empire pagan deities were “baptized” and became “saints”, pagan holydays were baptized and became “Christian” including Saturnalia and Ishtar. Birthday of Sun God (celebration marked by feasts and giving of gifts to each other) became birthday of Christ.

Where in the Bible birthday of Christ is given? Where in the Bible is the commandment to celebrate His birthday? How many of you are so committed to condemn “extra-Biblical” everything yet are so busy celebrating totally extra-Biblical “tradition”? If Jesus wanted His followers to celebrate His birthday would He not mention that at least in passing? Would He not give us the date to do so?

Christ was not born on the “Christmas” day. No shepherd in the right mind would keep his flocks out in the fields in December and not matter how demented no Roman Caesar would order a census that time of the year. Depending on who is counting approximate dates of Christ’s birthday are estimated to be somewhere between Abril and June.

Oh by the way. Every time you say: Merry Christmas you are saying Merry crucifixion of Christ! Because that is what it means!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is garbage. We are celebrating Christmas, Jesus' birthday. The fact that a pagan holiday was celebrated earlier in the month, and was changed to a more Greek style of celebration around 217 BC, is irrelevant.
In fact, it no longer exists and has been replaced by Christmas, which IMO, regardless of all who may celebrate something different at this time of year, including Hanukkah, is not the Christian perspective. It may be under attack today by many other religious holidays, but as true believers, we KNOW the difference and can celebrate the proper reason. After all, unbelievers will NEVER celebrate Jesus' birth.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Skitnik said:

Happy birthday Saturn!

When Christianity became official religion of Roman Empire pagan deities were “baptized” and became “saints”, pagan holydays were baptized and became “Christian” including Saturnalia and Ishtar. Birthday of Sun God (celebration marked by feasts and giving of gifts to each other) became birthday of Christ.

Where in the Bible birthday of Christ is given? Where in the Bible is the commandment to celebrate His birthday? How many of you are so committed to condemn “extra-Biblical” everything yet are so busy celebrating totally extra-Biblical “tradition”? If Jesus wanted His followers to celebrate His birthday would He not mention that at least in passing? Would He not give us the date to do so?

Christ was not born on the “Christmas” day. No shepherd in the right mind would keep his flocks out in the fields in December and not matter how demented no Roman Caesar would order a census that time of the year. Depending on who is counting approximate dates of Christ’s birthday are estimated to be somewhere between Abril and June.

Oh by the way. Every time you say: Merry Christmas you are saying Merry crucifixion of Christ! Because that is what it means!

Right on Skitnik..you got it right.....satan has misled "christians" with this non Biblical, pagan day for a long time...."christians" think they can play God, and pick any day they want and make it Holy...many cultures and societies in the past have tried this, and God punished them severely...and as Jesus said in Matthew 15 and Mark 7..follow the Commandments of God, and NOT the traditions of man....

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
Right on Skitnik..you got it right.....satan has misled "christians" with this non Biblical, pagan day for a long time...."christians" think they can play God, and pick any day they want and make it Holy...many cultures and societies in the past have tried this, and God punished them severely...and as Jesus said in Matthew 15 and Mark 7..follow the Commandments of God, and NOT the traditions of man....
Celebrating the day of Jesus' birth is not Satan misleading anyone. Of course those who see Satan in everything in life are probably way to focused on SIN to be of any earthly good.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
HI Skitnik...got some know it all arrogant experts who will always ignore the Bible, with their cute little attempts to justify anything the satanic world tells them to....they try to link Jesus birth to Dec 25th etc, when any one who is truly into the word of God, and is a true Christian knows it was not that date for the reasons you mention...these know it all, pompous people will always want to follow the crowd and the tradtions of man, and ignore the actual teachings of the Bible...thank God there are people such as yourself who have a clear understanding of the word of God...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
HI Skitnik...got some know it all arrogant experts who will always ignore the Bible, with their cute little attempts to justify anything the satanic world tells them to....they try to link Jesus birth to Dec 25th etc, when any one who is truly into the word of God, and is a true Christian knows it was not that date for the reasons you mention...these know it all, pompous people will always want to follow the crowd and the tradtions of man, and ignore the actual teachings of the Bible...thank God there are people such as yourself who have a clear understanding of the word of God...
In typical fashion, you have nothing but bloviating comments and sarcasm. Too bad you couldn't channel that energy into some constructive and factual.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't celebrate Christmas either. John 4:24 says we must worship in spirit and in truth.

99% of what I see in societies Christmas celebration is not the spirit of Christ. 1% may be in the "seemingly" right spirit, but it's not in truth.

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who is trying to stay out of Paganism that got into mainstream Christianity. Some say that doing so is "garbage" but that is exactly what they base their beliefs on.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stiknik,

I've been talking about it in message boards for about 13 or 14 years. I'm not planning on doing it too much this year. But I can't help but to stand up and agree as a witness.

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
FHII said:
Stiknik,

I've been talking about it in message boards for about 13 or 14 years. I'm not planning on doing it too much this year. But I can't help but to stand up and agree as a witness.
Thank you brother. I would rather be part of small minority staying true to God and His teachings not matter how small that minority is rather then be part of "everybody is doing it" crowd.
Every time I start feeling "left out" I think "Noah". One man! ONE man left in the WHOLE WORLD who was true to God and building huge boat in his backyard for more then 100 years! Imagine how "left out" he may have felt! Me watching most everybody else running around celebrating Saturnelia is nothing compared to that!

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FHII said:
I don't celebrate Christmas either. John 4:24 says we must worship in spirit and in truth.

99% of what I see in societies Christmas celebration is not the spirit of Christ. 1% may be in the "seemingly" right spirit, but it's not in truth.
Just because unbelievers took up celebrating Christmas, doesn't negate what it really is. The world has also polluted Easter, so do you not celebrate it either?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Skitnik said:
Thank you brother. I would rather be part of small minority staying true to God and His teachings not matter how small that minority is rather then be part of "everybody is doing it" crowd.
Every time I start feeling "left out" I think "Noah". One man! ONE man left in the WHOLE WORLD who was true to God and building huge boat in his backyard for more then 100 years! Imagine how "left out" he may have felt! Me watching most everybody else running around celebrating Saturnelia is nothing compared to that!
I am always amazed at how many false teachings claim to be in the righteous minority. Must be a prerequisite for swallowing the kool aid.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Skitnik said:

Happy birthday Saturn!

Skitnik,

You'll need to do better than this with future posts. You provided not one piece of documentation to support your views of pagan holydays, etc. If you are going to convince me, you'll need to come up with evidence, not the assertions you provided here.

I urge you to consider the points made in the article, 'Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?' (J Hampton Keathley III, 2004) There are good reasons to celebrate Christmas and Keathley gives them:
Furthermore, I believe there is scriptural precedent for commemorating and remembering the birth of Christ. This is in keeping with the events that occurred around the time of Christ's birth. These include:
1. The appearance of the angel of the Lord with the glory of the Lord to announce the birth of Christ to the shepherds (Lk. 2:10-12).

2. The response of the angels at the announcement of Christ's birth (Lk. 2:13-14).

3. The actions of the shepherds who left their flocks to go and see which was nothing short of a celebration (Lk. 2:15-20).

4. And the arrival of the men from the east bearing gifts as much as a year to two years later (Matt. 2:1-12).
Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
heretoeternity said:
hereto,

You seem to have forgotten what took place to celebrate the first Christmas.

1. The appearance of the angel of the Lord with the glory of the Lord to announce the birth of Christ to the shepherds (Lk. 2:10-12 ESV).

2. The response of the angels at the announcement of Christ's birth (Lk. 2:13-14 ESV).

3. The actions of the shepherds who left their flocks to go and see which was nothing short of a celebration (Lk. 2:15-20 ESV).

4. And the arrival of the men from the east bearing gifts as much as a year to two years later (Matt. 2:1-12 ESV).

Those Christians who celebrate Jesus' birth today are following a biblical precedent.

I think thou protesteth too much.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
heretoeternity said:
To the point of your post here, there was only one other person who had replied, Stan. Yet, you have the audacity to speak of 'some know it all arrogant experts'. This is gossip when you address your comment to somebody else and not to Stan. You have also misrepresented by using the plural 'all arrogant experts who will always ignore the Bible' when it was only ONE person with opposition comments.

You owe it to Stan to apologise to him for what you did with this kind of gossiping. It is unbecoming of you to engage in this gossip.

Paul had the same problem with the Corinthians: ''For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish - that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit and disorder' (2 Cor 12:20 ESV). Paul had to deal with gossips in Corinth, as is happening on CyB with your post.

I urge you to be mature in your approach to Christians here and deal directly with them and not behind their backs like you did here.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Skitnik said:
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who is trying to stay out of Paganism that got into mainstream Christianity. Some say that doing so is "garbage" but that is exactly what they base their beliefs on.
Skitnik,

You are speaking about Stan's post so your comment here is gossiping about what he said. Please address him directly,

The context is the younger widows, 'And if they are on the list, they will learn to be lazy and will spend their time gossiping from house to house, meddling in other people’s business and talking about things they shouldn’t' (1 Tim 5:13 NLT). The application is to all of us that we should not be gossiping against another person but should be speaking directly to them.

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
I am always amazed at how many false teachings claim to be in the righteous minority. Must be a prerequisite for swallowing the kool aid.
Stan,

This is going way too far in putting down the other person, for these reasons:
  1. To claim that opposition to celebration of Christmas is a 'false teaching' is stretching it somewhat. I don't agree with it (as I've expressed my view in this thread), but it is a view that some espouse that needs some further information. I have tried to do that in the biblical examples I have given about the celebrations at the time of Christ.
  2. To describe somebody's view of opposition to the celebration of Christmas is that of the 'righteous minority' is provocative and false - in my view. Yes, it seems to be the 'minority' but to call it 'righteous minority' is using unfair hyperbole.
  3. The 'kool aid' comment is goading the person and should not be used on CyB.
Keep up the good work, but I urge you to tame your lingo.

Oz

Skitnik

Nov 12, 2015
StanJ said:
Just because unbelievers took up celebrating Christmas, doesn't negate what it really is. The world has also polluted Easter, so do you not celebrate it either?
You tell me the origin of word "Easter" and I will tell you if I celebrate it or not.