Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
on the subject of gift of God, to take it a step further, the gift if you will is actually that He would accept one's repentance, hence show Mercy. and that Mercy is experienced by the repenter, because the repenter knows he should be destroyed in the Presence of God, but God spares the repenter.
I dont agree with that. Scripture says plainly He gives repentance !

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats error. God gives repentance, its Gods choice to give it, and when He gives, its received automatically.
No, I'm afraid that you are the one who is in error.

But I do not wish to argue with you on this point unless you have scripture to substantiate your point of view.

So, I suppose that we will have to agree to disagree.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But I do not wish to argue with you on this point unless you have scripture to substantiate your point of view.

No argument needed, scripture states plain as the noon day sun, they are given repentance.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No argument needed, scripture states plain as the noon day sun, they are given repentance.

but not as an entitlement as you put it, when the Lord had enough of Saul for Saul attemted to repent and asked for forgiveness.

1Sa 15:22  And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 
1Sa 15:23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king. 
1Sa 15:24  And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice. 
1Sa 15:25  Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD. 
1Sa 15:26  And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel. 

the King of Israel wasn't entitled acceptance of repentance and also a gift isn't a entitlement, one hasn't a right to have one's turning from one thing to another accepted. no one has to accept your repentance, especially God.

Exo_33:19  And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

you can repent like a merry-go-round but it up to the Lord God to show Mercy. you're not entitled God's Mercy or its not really mercy.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It in no place teaches that they do not have to receive what they are given.

Unless you can quote a scripture that says that they don't, consider the discussion closed.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good Point, G3341, metanoia is the requirement by God on man's part. as our Brother amadeus pointed out, Matthew 3:8 "Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:" but also it's God's Mercy in giving "repentance" or leading men to it. Acts 5:31 "Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins."

that was something God did.

and G3340, metanoeo, is something human do in respond to God's Requirement, and Mercy. scripture, Acts 2:37 "Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?" AND WHAT DID THEY SAY
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

@amadeus this is all coming back to what we was discussing before in another topic, Micah 6:8 "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

the apostle Peter by the Holy Ghost said, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." or recieve the PROMISE, which was afore given unto Abraham. and this promise is for all men to a. love Mercy, which God has shown in G3341, metanoia, to show Mercy, which he has, as said above, to grant repentance. and to do Justly, or do Right, or do Righteousness, which God has shown again in G3341, metanoia, scripture, Romans 3:25 "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;" (that's called JUSTIFICATION ON GOD'S PART), or as Earburner said, "God driven". BINGO.

and when one do that then human can "Walk"/LIVE humbly with their God.

Thanks Earburner, I had to go back and look at that again for myself. and in doing so, got more revelation on Micah 6:8. so again thanks Earburner

this is what christian suppose to do, sharpen each other, Iron sharpen Iron. instead of arguing.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"
Amen! That is what we all need, as you have shown, a teachable spirit through His Spirit.
All of what do experience of what being born again is all about, was acheived God the Son on the cross, and on the day of Pentecost. All of His work that He came to do and " finished" it, was "determined" in KJV-Daniel 9[24] Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city,
to finish the transgression, and
to make an end of sins, and
to make reconciliation for iniquity, and
to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and
to anoint the most Holy.
All of the above is fulfilled in us, when we turn towards God (repent-metanoia), to receive Jesus as our personal Savior.
None of what He has done, is anything of ourselves. We can add NOTHING to it, except to believe and trust Him about it.

Through faith, He now is making His "abode" and "dwelling" place within us.
John 14[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Reactions: 101G

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Old dogs really can learn new tricks
Amen old friend, :p YIKES! lol, these younger folk are exciting, faster, smater, and have the strenght to move thing futher than we now. it dose my heart Good to see christiann studying, researching, and doing what the scriptures states, 1 Thessalonians 5:21 "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.".

but it still, ultimately, comes back to trusting in God, leaning on Him and being led by the Holy Spirit. Alone, none of us, intelligent or stupid, educated or ignorant, can get it done right in the eyes of God.
everthing is about God, and God alone, oh yes, he's the STAR here, we are supporting actors with him. because everything is about him, and of him.

this is why we have these christians board. alone, as said, none of us can get it done right in the eyes of God*. but together, as the preacher said in Ecclesiastes 4:9 "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour."Ecclesiastes 4:10 "For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."Ecclesiastes 4:11 "Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?"Ecclesiastes 4:12 "And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

oh the wisdom of the bible.

PICJAG

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen old friend, :p YIKES! lol, these younger folk are exciting, faster, smater, and have the strenght to move thing futher than we now. it dose my heart Good to see christiann studying, researching, and doing what the scriptures states, 1 Thessalonians 5:21 "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.".

everthing is about God, and God alone, oh yes, he's the STAR here, we are supporting actors with him. because everything is about him, and of him.

this is why we have these christians board. alone, as said, none of us can get it done right in the eyes of God*. but together, as the preacher said in Ecclesiastes 4:9 "Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour."Ecclesiastes 4:10 "For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."Ecclesiastes 4:11 "Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?"Ecclesiastes 4:12 "And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken."

oh the wisdom of the bible.

PICJAG
Again and again, give God the glory!

Reactions: 101G

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but not as an entitlement as you put it, when the Lord had enough of Saul for Saul attemted to repent and asked for forgiveness.

1Sa 15:22  And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. 
1Sa 15:23  For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king. 
1Sa 15:24  And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice. 
1Sa 15:25  Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD. 
1Sa 15:26  And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel. 

the King of Israel wasn't entitled acceptance of repentance and also a gift isn't a entitlement, one hasn't a right to have one's turning from one thing to another accepted. no one has to accept your repentance, especially God.

Exo_33:19  And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

you can repent like a merry-go-round but it up to the Lord God to show Mercy. you're not entitled God's Mercy or its not really mercy.
After all that, Repentance is a Gift given to them that Christ died for as Saviour .

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They received it because it was Given by God.
It is indeed given by God; but that does not guarantee that anyone will receive it.

Mankind has a choice in the matter of whether they will receive or reject Christ.

Joshua 24:15, John 1:12, Revelation 22:17.

Revelation 3:20.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is indeed given by God; but that does not guarantee that anyone will receive it.

Mankind has a choice in the matter of whether they will receive or reject Christ.

Joshua 24:15, John 1:12, Revelation 22:17.

Revelation 3:20.
Yes it does guarantee that everyone He gave it to received it. It was given them!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it does guarantee that everyone He gave it to received it. It was given them!
If they don't receive the gift the gift does not belong to them; He has to "take the gift back to the store" because it was not received by the would-be recipient.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'll stick with the bibles teaching on the topic, not the teachings of man. God grants/gives repentance period.

Acts 5:31
God exalted Him to His right hand as Prince and Savior, in order to grant repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.

Acts 11:8
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

2 Timothy 2:25
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,

Some choke on the meat and are only able to handle milk,

hope this helps !!!

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After all that, Repentance is a Gift given to them that Christ died for as Saviour .

Matthew 7
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

brightfame52

Oct 16, 2020
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they don't receive the gift the gift does not belong to them; He has to "take the gift back to the store" because it was not received by the would-be recipient.
They receive it because God gives it. Its not a offer, its given, applied, bestowed !