REPENTANCE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FredBotswana

Mar 15, 2023
Gaborone
Faith
Christian
Country
Botswana
The Lord told us that the condition for entry into the heavenly kingdom is to achieve true repentance, and that those who don’t repent will be swept away by the great disasters with much weeping and gnashing of teeth. Repentance means turning away from sin. But as far as we know, even us Christians we continue to sin somehow, you have turned away from some sins but some you will do willingly and unwillingly. True repentance refers to people no longer sinning, but no man can do it, ONLY Jesus Christ is without sin. My question is this; what does it mean for us Christians? because we sin, even though we confess and ask for forgiveness, will we enter into the heavenly kingdom?

This issue of true repentance has put so many Christians under sheer condemnation, anxiety and fear.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord told us that the condition for entry into the heavenly kingdom is to achieve true repentance, and that those who don’t repent will be swept away by the great disasters with much weeping and gnashing of teeth. Repentance means turning away from sin. But as far as we know, even us Christians we continue to sin somehow, you have turned away from some sins but some you will do willingly and unwillingly. True repentance refers to people no longer sinning, but no man can do it, ONLY Jesus Christ is without sin. My question is this; what does it mean for us Christians? because we sin, even though we confess and ask for forgiveness, will we enter into the heavenly kingdom?

This issue of true repentance has put so many Christians under sheer condemnation, anxiety and fear.
Dear FredBotswana,
True repentance is turning away from our "works" for salvation.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Rev 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Rom 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Approaching Christ for salvation by our own "works" is the crooked way and is the way of Satan. That is why scripture calls Satan the "crooked serpent".

Job 26:13 By his spirit he hath garnished the heavens; his hand hath formed the crooked serpent.

Ecc 7:13 Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?

Isa 42:16 And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

Lam 3:9 He hath inclosed my ways with hewn stone
(works of the Law), he hath made my paths crooked.

Satan teaches a doctrine of "works"; doctrines like Free Will, Hell, Tithing, Sabbath Day keeping, circumcision, and any other thing that a believer thinks they must do to be saved or to maintain their salvation.

A believer who has this "works" based belief system is fallen from grace, even if they only believe that they must do only one work to be saved:

Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Turning to "works" for salvation is the sin that leads to death (1John 5:16) and is how Satan kills the saints.

The verses below are not speaking of a physical death as most believe. They are speaking of a spiritual death which comes from practicing "works".

Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

Rev 11:7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

The verse below is teaching about a fallen away believer (a Man of Sin) who has been deceived by Satan via the indwelling of the spirit of anti-Christ:

2Thes 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

To be saved under the New Covenant, a believer must have faith in Christ and trust Him to do all the "works" necessary for our salvation. When Christ does His works, He will do them "within" us (spiritually). In other words, Christ will give us a new spiritual nature which will change our heart and mind to be like His. From this spiritual change, we will begin to do the "works" of God (works of faith).

Even Christ did not have any works of His own. He openly admits that the works that He did, were the works of God.

John 9:4 I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work (meaning the works of faith).

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Once a believer is converted, they will do the same works that Christ did:

John 14:11 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works
(works of faith) meet for repentance.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

These verses also apply to the difference between works of the Law and works of faith:

Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Rom 13:12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

The apostate church, through their doctrine of Free Will, is following the crooked way of man's works. They are fallen from grace. For the fallen away believers who are also "chosen", Christ will send a person to them in the spirit of Elijah to make the call of repentance.

When an Elect believer responds to that call of repentance, the pathway for Christ to "come again" to them will be made "straight". When He comes, He will bring salvation with Him and will pour out the Latter Rain. This is the salvation event the 120 Jewish Elect experienced on the Day of Pentecost. The Gentile Elect must travel this same pathway to Salvation.

Joe

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This issue of true repentance has put so many Christians under sheer condemnation, anxiety and fear
We don't judge or quantify our repentance or our turning away from sin.
Rather we constantly turn to God in repentance as 1 John:9 tells us.

It is Jesus who saves us, we don't save ourselves by the quality of our repentance or Christian living.

Reactions: Pearl

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

Hello Fred! That's a great question to ask.

Repentance means turning away from committing sins, but like you said, we cannot do it without failing, it's impossible. You also rightly said that only Jesus is without sin. And Jesus also said whoever sins is a servant of sin, and whoever sins shall not inherit God's kingdom.

We try and try to subdue our sins but to no avail. This happens because God is teaching us that whatever we do to make ourselves repent, we cannot. We are wretched, miserable, powerless, sinful creatures.

That's why God said, Hosea 13:9 KJV
O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help.

We are destroyed, and only by asking God to save us can we have true repentance. He grants it, we cannot produce it by ourselves because we are nothing.

Acts 11:18 KJV
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

What does this mean for us? God is teaching us to run to him just as we are, naked, poor, needy, nothing good to offer, but just to ask for mercy. Lord, save me, have mercy on me, a sinner!

Instead, what we do is we keep on trying to produce repentance in us and producing good fruit. This is self righteousness that we try to produce to have something to recommend us to God, so that we have something to offer him to deserve his mercy and forgiveness and salvation.

But this is a mistake we should all learn from. The law works wrath. That's why when we try to repent, we only discover that we would always fail. The law then is our schoolmaster leading us to FAITH in Christ, that only by crying out to him without merits of our own can we truly repent.

Satan cannot cast out Satan. A kingdom divided against itself shall not stand. The old wineskin has to be replaced with new. God only has the power to make us repent. We only need to go to him and ask him to grant us true repentance without our works.

Only by the work of the Holy Spirit can we truly repent so that we could cease from sinning. With God, all things are possible. When Jesus sets you free, you shall be free indeed.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
The Lord told us that the condition for entry into the heavenly kingdom is to achieve true repentance, and that those who don’t repent will be swept away by the great disasters with much weeping and gnashing of teeth. Repentance means turning away from sin. But as far as we know, even us Christians we continue to sin somehow, you have turned away from some sins but some you will do willingly and unwillingly. True repentance refers to people no longer sinning, but no man can do it, ONLY Jesus Christ is without sin
In debate circles, this is what is called an argument for and against the same thing. Normally, it's two different people or groups arguing one side or the other. But the same person arguing both sides? That's just doubleminded debate within oneself. And what is the Bible solution for it? Repent. (James 4)

True repentance refers to people no longer sinning, but no man can do it, ONLY Jesus Christ is without sin.
And only those in Christ Jesus are without sin, where there is no sin.

And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Only those who do repent of sinning for Jesus' sake, are recieved into Christ and His righteous kingdom.
My question is this; what does it mean for us Christians?
Your question is what it means for you unrepented sinning Christians. Knowing the need to repent and not repenting, is simple rebellion to the Bible and us repented Christian saints.

Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

The great illusion of sinful Christianity, is the vain gospel of believing only. If we just believe what God says, then we are no longer accountable to what God says.

For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Because of your argument for and against repenting, you are teaching sheer confusion.

On the one hand, you must acknowledge God's commandment to repent, or be an unbeliever of the Bible. And at the same time you know repenting is to cease doing as before. But on the other hand, you personally haven't obeyed the commandment to repent, and so you declare God's commandment is impossible to do and to keep.

The simple solution to repenting of sinning, is first honesty of the heart: Just admit you still enjoy sinning from time to time, and repent once for all for Jesus' sake. That's the one and only way of the Lord, that anyone will ever receive Him and His kingdom with a pure heart to walk with Him.

But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

It's only the honest heart that is made good by Jesus Christ, to bear His pure and righteous fruit.

And so first you must dispense with the self-justifying arguments for and against doing God's will.

because we sin,
Because you haven't repented of sinning yet.

even though we confess and ask for forgiveness, will we enter into the heavenly kingdom?
No. Read the above. Without repenting, then confession is only with the mind, and not with godly sorrow from the heart.

The Christian ideology of only saying we're sorry, is not unto the forgiveness of God.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

The sorriness of the world for sinning, only continues to work death in the heart and life of the unrepented sinner. It isn't unto repentance, and so it remains working death in the soul by the continued sinning.

Last edited: