responding to shooting.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
THE Gypsy said:
Don't know if any of you watched the inter-faith gathering tonight but if you did, I'd be interested in your opinion.

For mine...

1. Obama is going to use this to move ahead the agenda on gun control.

2. Of all the faiths represented, the most compassionate, most understanding of the grief the people are feeling, most consoling, and most feeling of them all was the Muslim. There were several "Christian" sects represented...Lutheran , Catholic, Methodist, etc and none of them came close to meeting the comfort needs of the people. Sad indeed.

Time for a reality check.
This is something that we must know... our God is Soveriegn over this earth and all kings, governments and authorities are there due to His plans.
When you read the Bible you will understand that it is God who brings on war, brings on eartquakes, whirlwind tornadoes, sunames, etc... for He is the Host of armies and uses ALL of His creation for His purposes to keep things in check.
Notice that only this last 100 yrs we have been allowed this technology that is going to be the cause of our own demise at the hand of God? Because if we had it before the end time, we would have destroyed ourselves too soon. God has plans and all of the Bible is His Word and it will accomplish what He sent it out to do. All that is written will come to pass for He wrote the Book and knows the end from the beginning... in the beginning was the Word and all things were created because God spoke His Word into existance and it WAS.
The important thing is to abide in Christ and fear not no matter what is going on in the world for our God will protect His own, meaning those who faith trusts in Him for everything for we can not change anything.. it will go as God has SAID.
1 Tim 2:1-4
2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
KJV
Rom 13:1-7
13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
KJV

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
THE Gypsy said:
Too bad you couldn't put aside your bias and self righteousness to actually read what I said. It was simply an observation.

I haven't "fallen" for anything. I haven't "fallen" for anything. i was addressing this single event, what was said, and how the different faiths responded to the needs of the people. What did you find that was so offensive about what he said?

You don't know that he won't. I believe I clearly stated my comment was my OPINION, not a statement of fact. What did Obama say that lead you to believe otherwise? As far as whether or not it plays out that way...time will tell. When he makes his move...I'll be the first to say "I told you so".

As has already been pointed out...we HAVE gun laws. Did they prevent this from happening? It is really sad when people see the need for the government to be the solution to everything.

That' the smartest thing you said it your entire post.

Again...too bad you didn't actually read what I said. It was NOT about "them coming together". That's simply you throwing the ole red herring into the ring instead of addressing the issue at hand.

I guess you must know more about that than I do since I do not hang with those kind of zealots.

No, that's your faulty mind reading capabilities at work, again. I made no statements about good OR evil. Once again...I made an observation, compassionately looking through the eyes of the people going through this tradegy, at what they were witnessing and how it may be perceived by them.

I can think of many reasons that is true. A handful of those reasons were indeed on display during this gathering.

Please quote where I "demonized the church " and "promoted evil".

And I am not "embarrassed" by anything I said. Your attitude that the church is above constructive critisism and has no need to look inside to continue to allow God the authority of course correction, is but one of the many reasons people "avoid Christianity like the plague".

What ever happened to "iron sharpening iron"? Or was that verse left out of your version?

Well, that explains everything.

Besides...if you're catholic...why would you?

Quite frankly, I'm surprised you can make that statement since you obviously didn't really read my reply, or you were so blinded by the absolute perfection of the view from your pedestal. Either way...better go get a refund on your mind reading lessons. You're failing miserably.
First of all let me straighten out your blunders.
You said that your reply was "your opinion"...not an observation.
Second...
A sect is...
  • A group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they...
  • A group that has separated from an established church; a nonconformist church

Third...
Your the one with a bias. You labelled me as "heretical" since that's the implication of the word 'sect'.
Fourth...
You're the self-righteous one since you believe that's it's "sad indeed" that Catholic's, Methodist, and Lutherans come together. You imply that Muslim's and you, or whatever church you go to, are better than Lutheran's, Methodist, and Catholics.

You have spoken like a truly misled Protestant Christian republican. It's undesirable people like you that discourage me from posting on this forum. It also discourages me from attending 'certain' churches. Hey! I went to a pentecostal church this week. I refuse to go to any baptist church afilliated with BJU. They think too much like you do!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Axehead said:
Ok, here is something that no one has talked about. Let's have a referendum on the drugs that are given to these kids at 9-10-11 years old (Ritalin for example) that screw them up for life. Pharmaceutical companies have a powerful lobby and and adulterous relationship with the FDA. It is a revolving door where FDA officials end up working for the Pharmaceuticals when they leave their government job. My sister has two boys that were put on drugs around 10 years old and it rendered them "learning delayed", well into their 20s. These drugs have other effects besides "learning delay".

I believe the Columbine shooters were on drugs to control their ADHD, also. There was no ADHD when I was growing up, but there was corporal punishment in the schools for boys that were unruly (not drugs).
This whole world is on some type of drug or alcohol addiction and rather it is known or not, the word sorcery, sorceress, sorcerer, witchcraft in the Bible according to the Strong's Concordance is the word Pharmakea, pills, medication, pharmacist, poisoner, oriental science, potions. The world is all drugged up an staggering like a drunken woman. Alcohol or medications most homes have... When I found this out back in 2006 that sorcery was medications I threw anything that looked like drugs out of my house and NEVER allow them back in, even eyedrops. I stand on the faith that GOD ALONE will heal my body if any healing needs done.

Jer 51:8
7 Babylon hath been a golden cup in the LORD's hand, that made all the earth drunken: the nations have drunken of her wine; therefore the nations are mad.
KJV
Rev 17:5-6
5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
KJV
Rev 17:5-6
5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration.
KJV
Rev 9:20-21
0 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:
21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.
KJV
Rev 18:23-24
23 And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men{GIANTS} of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.
24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.
KJV

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
afaithfulone4u said:
This whole world is on some type of drug or alcohol addiction and rather it is known or not, the word sorcery, sorceress, sorcerer, witchcraft in the Bible according to the Strong's Concordance is the word Pharmakea, pills, medication, pharmacist, poisoner, oriental science, potions. The world is all drugged up an staggering like a drunken woman. Alcohol or medications most homes have... When I found this out back in 2006 that sorcery was medications I threw anything that looked like drugs out of my house and NEVER allow them back in, even eyedrops. I stand on the faith that GOD ALONE will heal my body if any healing needs done.
Look, no one is jumping onto your obtuse "pharmakea" bandwagon. That snakeoil has no buyers (for the most part). And advocating people going off their medications (which is what you tacitly ARE advocating) is not only unwise, it is also illegal and can lead to legal actions against the site and the site owner.

Thanks.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
BiggAndyy said:
Look, no one is jumping onto your obtuse "pharmakea" bandwagon. That snakeoil has no buyers (for the most part). And advocating people going off their medications (which is what you tacitly ARE advocating) is not only unwise, it is also illegal and can lead to legal actions against the site and the site owner.

Thanks.
BG You must have misunderstood the person. I actually agree with him. And he's not advocating people coming off of their meds. AND! He is correct about STRONG"S! I have no idea where you're coming from!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
First of all let me straighten out your blunders.
You said that your reply was "your opinion"...not an observation.

Same difference, Sparky. Opinions ARE based on observations.

Second...
A sect is...
  • A group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they...[/*]up
  • A group that has separated from an established church; a nonconformist church[/*]

Third...

That is indeed ONE way to use the word. See my previous post where I explained HOW I was using and it was correct.

church; a nonconformist church[/*]
[/LIST]
Third...
Your the one with a bias. You labelled me as "heretical" since that's the implication of the word 'sect'.

A little difficult since I didn't even use the word or remotely imply it. Now...if you feel some sort of conviction by it then perhaps you should take a look in the mirror instead of accusing others of saying things they did not.

Fourth...
You're the self-righteous one since you believe that's it's "sad indeed" that Catholic's, Methodist, and Lutherans come together. You imply that Muslim's and you, or whatever church you go to, are better than Lutheran's, Methodist, and Catholics.

/quote]

You're an expert at putting your words into the mouths of others. I said NOTHING about it being "sad" they "came together". That was you tossing out the red herring once again. And I implied nothing about "Muslims and me". Absolutely nothing.

You have spoken like a truly misled Protestant Christian republican.

I have spoken like me. With an opinion based on observation on how miserably the so called Christians at the gathering responded to the needs of the people. However, from your lofty perch, I'm not surprised you missed it.

. It's undesirable people like you that discourage me from posting on this forum. It also discourages me from attending 'certain' churches. Hey! I went to a pentecostal church this week. I refuse to go to any baptist church afilliated with BJU. They think too much like you do!

Well, doesn't appear you've been too "discouraged" as you're still here...posting away. As far as the rest of your rambling...not sure what that has to do with the discussion at hand.

BTW...What did YOU think of the service?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I've covered it before and it is simply an equivocation fallacy, one word having the same root as another in a different language. Nonsense, logically speaking.

kna325

Dec 16, 2012
South Carolina
I didn't realize he shot through the window. Perhaps bars on the windows as well? It may be a stretch but I've always thought schools were too easily accessible.
Then you have to take into account the schools with seperate buildings. It'd be nice to have electric fenses surrounding all of the schools but it's not realistic speaking. Seems like they will always find a way.

With this and religion being banned from school it makes me seriously consider home schooling for my child/future children

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
kna325 said:
I didn't realize he shot through the window. Perhaps bars on the windows as well? It may be a stretch but I've always thought schools were too easily accessible.
Then you have to take into account the schools with seperate buildings. It'd be nice to have electric fenses surrounding all of the schools but it's not realistic speaking. Seems like they will always find a way.

With this and religion being banned from school it makes me seriously consider home schooling for my child/future children

Home schooling is a wonderful option. I homeschooled my son.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An interesting fact to tack on to my earlier post:

… statistics [indicate] that unlike handguns or shotguns, rifles of any type account for only a fraction of homicides in the United States — of 12,664 murder victims last year, 323 were killed with rifles, according to the F.B.I.’s Uniform Crime Report

Source: New York Times

There's also a pretty interesting post over at Reason Magazine. While I find things to disagree with - such as his rebuttal of Huckabee, the article reveals some shocking statistics.

There are just a number of questions to ask in the matter, and the Biblical argument is simple and concise. This is a matter of the heart, and you will never legislate these things away.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
HammerStone said:
An interesting fact to tack on to my earlier post:

Source: New York Times

There's also a pretty interesting post over at Reason Magazine. While I find things to disagree with - such as his rebuttal of Huckabee, the article reveals some shocking statistics.

There are just a number of questions to ask in the matter, and the Biblical argument is simple and concise. This is a matter of the heart, and you will never legislate these things away.
On the statistic note...I was listening to the talking heads last night and a shrink on a news program stated that the statistics for getting struck by lightening are higher than getting hit by a bullet during a mass shooting.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
THE Gypsy said:
With an opinion based on observation on how miserably the so called Christians at the gathering responded to the needs of the people. However, from your lofty perch, I'm not surprised you missed it.
On the statistic note...I was listening to the talking heads last night and a shrink on a news program stated that the statistics for getting struck by lightening are higher than getting hit by a bullet during a mass shooting.
Isn't that a brilliant observation! An observation is just that...an observation. An opinion is your belief about that observation.
I get tired of people who question the salvation of others. Like you did here...

With an opinion based on observation on how miserably the so called Christians at the gathering responded to the needs of the people. However, from your lofty perch, I'm not surprised you missed it.
Those so called Christians are the Methodist, Catholics and Lutherans you mentioned. This topic is about the shooting in CT. and you had to demonize other churches in the process and continue to do so.

It's no wonder I have an unfavorable opinion of some Christian's. esp. those that are like you!
I always have the ignore button option if I really get sick of you. HS is pretty good at banning people. We'll see who goes first!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
School attacks in China (2010–2011) (6 attacks since 2010, no guns involved).
A series of uncoordinated mass stabbings, hammer attacks, and cleaver attacks in the People's Republic of China began in March 2010. The spate of attacks left at least 21 dead and some 90 injured. Analysts have blamed mental health problems caused by rapid social change for the rise in these kind of mass murder and murder-suicide incidents.[1]

Again, "mental health problems", cited.

China’s School Killings and Social Despair
New York Times talks about Social Despair in China but not the U.S. No mention of "social despair" from New York times over shootings in America.

China Calls for ‘No Delay’ on Gun Controls in U.S. (hmmm, isn't that interesting?)

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
kaoticprofit said:
Isn't that a brilliant observation! An observation is just that...an observation. An opinion is your belief about that observation.
I believe that is what I said. Thanks for clarifying you understood it.

kaoticprofit said:

I get tired of people who question the salvation of others. Like you did here...

Those so called Christians are the Methodist, Catholics and Lutherans you mentioned. This topic is about the shooting in CT. and you had to demonize other churches in the process and continue to do so.
I did no such thing. Again...why is it not possible for you to stick to what I ACTUALLY said?

kaoticprofit said:
It's no wonder I have an unfavorable opinion of some Christian's. esp. those that are like you!
I always have the ignore button option if I really get sick of you. HS is pretty good at banning people. We'll see who goes first!
Oh dear. I'm heartbroken.

BTW...You never answered my question...What did YOU think about the gathering?

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Got it...IOW...You didn't watch it.
smilie_girl_120.gif

kna325

Dec 16, 2012
South Carolina
THE gypsie

The only concern I have in homeschooling is the lack of child interaction. Was this an issue for you and if so how was it resolved? Not at all trying to thread jack but I've always considered homeschooling especially after hearing about this shooting

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could I call a timeout for a moment? I had a thought and it is one I think we can talk about - maybe?

(I want to say this without looking like a gun apologist, because that is decidedly not the primary driver of my thoughts. For the record, I am open to reasonable dialogue, especially in areas such as high capacity mags and the like.)

Let's step back for a moment and look at the event dialogue. We are now at the stage where the immediate shock and grief for society at large (not the victims!) is shifting to the questions of why and how we can prevent a future event like this. It should do this. However, how many of our reactions are entirely colored by our deep desire to understand why -- to really know why?

What I am saying is that we are trapped in this western-reality paradigm of cause and effect. We are already attempting to rationalize this in terms of gun control legislation and other forms of legislation is also on the peripheral. (For instance, an article-essay at HuffPo was written from the perspective of a mother dealing with a violent special needs child questioning the current state of mental health laws.)

These remedies do attempt to treat, but they decidedly only treat the symptoms.

Let's take away all guns for a moment. What stops this person from using a knife? What stops him from using a baseball bat? If you look at this crime - and it admittedly stirs my heart so much that I have labored to not watch the coverage or read all of the articles - it was an impassioned one. My point is that this mind was intent on causing pain and harm. It wasn't a crime of momentary anger, it was the crime of absolute hatred and specifically hatred for children who had nothing to do with whatever went occurred. I would not have put it past this sick soul to murder with his bare hands.

And my point is yes, these laws will limit scope, but they don't limit the effects on the minds that still witness such horrible passion. They don't bring back the few that inevitably would be killed in shock before a response was made to neutralize the threat.

This is a problem of the heart. This is a problem to which there is no easy fix, and I think this is what scares people. This person is somehow now less human than any domestic or foreign enemy. His terrorism is a brand which has already left no household unaffected across this nation.

Only God can overcome this. Only Jesus can prevent this.

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
kna325 said:
THE gypsie

The only concern I have in homeschooling is the lack of child interaction. Was this an issue for you and if so how was it resolved? Not at all trying to thread jack but I've always considered homeschooling especially after hearing about this shooting
That is a potential issue. it is important to not become isolationists just because you're homeschooling. What we did was band together with other homeschoolers in the area. It was great. There was a group of 10. One of the moms was very creative and she taught an Art Class. Also, as a group it is easier to do field trips. For instance, we all got together and did a tour of the local fire station. The firefighters were wonderful with the kids!

Back when I was homeschooling it was tough because we were on the leading edge. Now, it has caught on and more people are doing it, not just in the Christian community. Having said that...if you are serious about doing this, I would check into the Homeschool Legal Defense group. Odds are you will never need it but if you do it is great to have them in your corner.