Revelation 22:18-19

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The text for this topic:

Rev 22:18-19
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
[19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

John testified (with the authority of being an apostle) that if any man added or took away from the prophecy of "this book" God will add to the plagues written in "this book".

So the question for the debate is whether John was talking about the current book he was writing (Revelations) or the entire Bible.

I believe its talking about the whole Bible... Genesis to Revelation. I have my reasons which I will give...
Y'all go first!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Considering teh bible in itself is not one book and it says "this book", it can only be that book that He was writing, and even Jesus mentions books that are not in the bible. If what you say is true, than every editor publisher write of the bible has being condemend for they have all, added to and taken away from. Oh that we too are all condmened as well. Always condmeing ourselves we are so good at it...

Reactions: bbyrd009

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Considering teh bible in itself is not one book and it says "this book", it can only be that book that He was writing, and even Jesus mentions books that are not in the bible. If what you say is true, than every editor publisher write of the bible has being condemend for they have all, added to and taken away from. Oh that we too are all condmened as well. Always condmeing ourselves we are so good at it...

Aside from your usual assertation that the Bible isn't the word of God, you made a point I can agree on,but for the wrong reason.

When John wrote the book of Revelation, he was indeed speaking of the very book he was writing.

I contend its speaking of the whole Bible for 3 reasons:

1. I believe its more than just a coincidence that it is at the end of the last book in the Bible.
2. It is not as important what John thought he meant as it is what God meant when he moved John to write.
3. God is not going to set a rule of that nature for just one book: its going to be universal for all of them.

Truth was and is very important to God. Thus, he doesn't like anything that ads or takes away from the pure truth.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Truth was and is very important to God. Thus, he doesn't like anything that ads or takes away from the pure truth.
Amen and that is why he sent us teh Holy Spirit so we would have the truth, the truth is in Jesus , the bible testifies of that but also just as it says, "men wont go to Him", if all men walk in agreement with Jesus than we will all be in agreement as long as men agree with teh bible, well these forums are testament to those results.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
The text for this topic:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
[19] And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

John testified (with the authority of being an apostle) that if any man added or took away from the prophecy of "this book" God will add to the plagues written in "this book".

So the question for the debate is whether John was talking about the current book he was writing (Revelations) or the entire Bible.

I believe its talking about the whole Bible... Genesis to Revelation. I have my reasons which I will give...
Y'all go first!
I agree, in seeing the Bible as from God, it is talking about the whole Bible.

When God used a man to write down what He wanted, the man was not trying to contribute to the whole book of the Bible. The man was inspired by God to write something which pertained to a subject of his immediate attention. But God, Who inspired that man to write, was writing with the whole book in view. Man was writing one work but God was writing the Bible.

Thus the warning of Rev. 22 is true of all of Gods Word, the Bible.

Stranger

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Revelation does not stand alone apart from the Bible although it states the prophecy
of "this book".

Here is a test.

If we take away a verse in the book of Revelation have we taken that verse out of the Bible? Most definitely!

If we add a verse to the book of Revelation have we added that verse to the Bible? Of course!

So we see the book of Revelation is an integral part of the Bible and cannot stand alone.

To God Be The Glory.

Reactions: bbyrd009

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It was there before teh bible, and it woudl stil lbe there without teh bible.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The text for this topic:

I just noticed this so I haven't given this all that much thought, but what you're essentially saying is that the first "this book" is referring to the entire bible, whereas the second "this book" seems to be referring explicitly to the Book of Revelation, no?

Y'all go first!
This does present a problem. Moses also places a similar statement at the end of his book, and there may be some similar statements peppered in some of the other books as well. This type of statement was a sort of precursor to copyright infringement and was quite common. So you could also include any and all of the other books that weren't included as they were completely "taken away".

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
Aside from your usual assertation that the Bible isn't the word of God, you made a point I can agree on,but for the wrong reason.

When John wrote the book of Revelation, he was indeed speaking of the very book he was writing.

I contend its speaking of the whole Bible for 3 reasons:

1. I believe its more than just a coincidence that it is at the end of the last book in the Bible.
2. It is not as important what John thought he meant as it is what God meant when he moved John to write.
3. God is not going to set a rule of that nature for just one book: its going to be universal for all of them.

well thought out but let me confirm something. so all those bibles that had something added/omitted are all written by people that are going to receive the punishments of revelation? how about all those that believe in those types of bibles? do they receive the same punishments? what about all the translation errors? do people get punished for believing them? how about the doctrine issues that people debate over? whoever is wrong is going to receive the punishments of revelation too? if i keep listing then the chosen are going to keep getting fewer and fewer. how will anyone go to heaven at this rate? :huh:

now revelations on the other hand is relatively unchanged no matter what version you look at. doesn't that kind of give it away? there are a lot of other books of the bible that have many different beliefs/meaning applied to them. for example wine drinking, women's role in church, healing for today, and ect. so according to your own belief i hope you change it because otherwise you will be held to that which you believe to be true. for example paul says that if you cause another to do something against their beliefs then they have sinned and you will be responsible even though what they did was not wrong.

btw the gospel is called the good news and not the bad news of Christ. lets not add more rules and regulations then are already there. if God convicts you about it then great :D but otherwise leave it alone for we are under grace and not the law.

God bless

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
shnarkle said:
I just noticed this so I haven't given this all that much thought, but what you're essentially saying is that the first "this book" is referring to the entire bible, whereas the second "this book" seems to be referring explicitly to the Book of Revelation, no?
No, not if I understand what you are asking. The first "this book" is the same as the second "this book". What I meant is that when he wrote Revelations he meant it to apply to Revelations. I believe he was guided by the Spirit, and he basically thought it was just for what he wrote.

God however, (knowing the future) meant it for all the inspired scripture.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No, not if I understand what you are asking. The first "this book" is the same as the second "this book". What I meant is that when he wrote Revelations he meant it to apply to Revelations. I believe he was guided by the Spirit, and he basically thought it was just for what he wrote.

God however, (knowing the future) meant it for all the inspired scripture.
I think I see what you're saying, but I'm still not seeing why John would say that the plagues he has just outlined in his book wouldn't refer to the book he just wrote.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
shnarkle said:
I think I see what you're saying, but I'm still not seeing why John would say that the plagues he has just outlined in his book wouldn't refer to the book he just wrote.
I don't really understand your misunderstanding. The plagues he oulined do apply to his book. The question is do they apply to the whole Bible?