God shall add unto him the plagues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Revelation 22:18 we see the promise that God will add the plagues that are written in this book to anyone who adds to the things (in this book).

Revelation 15:1 tells us the seven angels have the seven last plagues, then Revelation 16 describes these plagues as bowls being poured out.

I would say these plagues have to be non-literal, spiritual events that have happened to those who have added to the scriptures in the past and are now dead.

If these plagues are literal and still future events then it would seem that those who have added and are dead would have to be resurrected in order to have the plagues added to them, however I don’t know of anyone who holds the view of people being resurrected in order to experience the plagues.

How can the plagues be literal and added to someone who is now dead if they added to the book while they were alive?

Reactions: Marty fox

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Revelation 22:18 we see the promise that God will add the plagues that are written in this book to anyone who adds to the things (in this book).

Revelation 15:1 tells us the seven angels have the seven last plagues, then Revelation 16 describes these plagues as bowls being poured out.

I would say these plagues have to be non-literal, spiritual events that have happened to those who have added to the scriptures in the past and are now dead.

If these plagues are literal and still future events then it would seem that those who have added and are dead would have to be resurrected in order to have the plagues added to them, however I don’t know of anyone who holds the view of people being resurrected in order to experience the plagues.

How can the plagues be literal and added to someone who is now dead if they added to the book while they were alive?
I would say that God is able to punish sin in any manner He chooses.

Jesus taught that some would receive a greater punishment for having known better, perhaps this is reflective of that greater punishment. Personally I don't have any issues accepting this passage without having to change how I interpret another passage, particularly when that other passage doesn't give any indication of such.

Much love!

Reactions: Zao is life

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What we can be sure of, is those who foolishly believe and promote alterations and additions to the book of Revelation, will be held accountable for it.
If they have died before the final Judgment, Revelation 20:11-15, then God will punish accordingly.

Reactions: marks

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that God is able to punish sin in any manner He chooses.

Jesus taught that some would receive a greater punishment for having known better, perhaps this is reflective of that greater punishment. Personally I don't have any issues accepting this passage without having to change how I interpret another passage, particularly when that other passage doesn't give any indication of such.

Much love!
Yes, God can punish how he chooses but if God doesn’t add the plagues to someone who has added to the book then the Revelation 22:18 statement wouldn’t be true.

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What we can be sure of, is those who foolishly believe and promote alterations and additions to the book of Revelation, will be held accountable for it.
If they have died before the final Judgment, Revelation 20:11-15, then God will punish accordingly.
I agree that those who deliberately and intentionally add or subtract will be held accountable but in order to participate in the plagues wouldn’t someone have to be alive and on earth? Or would you say the plagues can happen to the dead?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, God can punish how he chooses but if God doesn’t add the plagues to someone who has added to the book then the Revelation 22:18 statement wouldn’t be true.
I'm saying He is able to add those plagues to anyone, anytime.

Much love!

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying He is able to add those plagues to anyone, anytime.

Much love!
Ok, so then in Revelation 16:10 the fifth angel pours out his bowl on the seat of the beast and his kingdom, does this mean the beasts kingdom has existed ever since the book of Revelation was written? And will continue to exist until we are made perfect?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, so then in Revelation 16:10 the fifth angel pours out his bowl on the seat of the beast and his kingdom, does this mean the beasts kingdom has existed ever since the book of Revelation was written? And will continue to exist until we are made perfect?
No, but it means that God is able to cast people into darkness, gnawing their tongues in pain.

Much love!

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, but it means that God is able to cast people into darkness, gnawing their tongues in pain.

Much love!
Well, the first angel poured his bowl on the earth and grievous sores fell upon them that had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. If the beast and his mark is still future how could a person who died prior to the beast have this plague added to them?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the first angel poured his bowl on the earth and grievous sores fell upon them that had the mark of the beast and worshiped his image. If the beast and his mark is still future how could a person who died prior to the beast have this plague added to them?
Do you disbelieve that passage? Do you not think God can put grievous sores on someone? I'm not sure I understand what your objection is here.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me this in the Bible. And show me from the Bible what they really are if not what is described.

Much love!

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you disbelieve that passage? Do you not think God can put grievous sores on someone? I'm not sure I understand what your objection is here.

Much love!
Joseph Smith added when he came up with the Book of Mormon. Did he have noisome grievous sores while he was alive? I see no record of that.

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me this in the Bible. And show me from the Bible what they really are if not what is described.

Much love!
The general rule for interpreting the scriptures is if it makes literal sense then that should be the primary understanding. Since the plagues literally happening to people who have already died doesn’t make sense, we need to look at the plagues as being spiritual plagues.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Yes I agree I did a post on this a few years ago too.

They can't be a one time event and they are symbolic for judgment just like Jesus coming to judge with the sword of His mouth in Revelation 2:16 & 19:15.

They aren't literal or even a onetime event.

Reactions: grafted branch

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The general rule for interpreting the scriptures is if it makes literal sense then that should be the primary understanding.
I use a different rule. If the text tells me something is symbolic, then I look for where the symbol is explained. Lots of things may not make sense to some people, so I don't really see that as accurate. At the very least, without the Bible saying "this is symbolic", and, "the symbol means this", then the interpretation lacks Biblical authority.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joseph Smith added when he came up with the Book of Mormon. Did he have noisome grievous sores while he was alive? I see no record of that.
It could be in judgment following their death. You may not see it. Do you believe in things you cannot see?

Much love!

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could be in judgment following their death. You may not see it. Do you believe in things you cannot see?

Much love!
I suppose you could argue that the last plagues can happen to the dead but then they aren’t literal right? A body that has decayed or been burned to ashes can’t get literal noisome grievous sores, unless that body is resurrected first.
If that’s the case then the plagues would have to happen at the GWT or you have to have another resurrection of unbelievers sometime prior.

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that cannot be?

Much love!
I think it’s a possibility but I haven’t seen anyone make the argument that the seven bowls are poured out at the GWT. Most people that think they are literal will argue that they happen prior to the millennium.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it’s a possibility but I haven’t seen anyone make the argument that the seven bowls are poured out at the GWT. Most people that think they are literal will argue that they happen prior to the millennium.
I'm saying these plagues will happen during the final 7 years before the end of the age. That does not prevent God from visiting the same ills upon those whom He punishes.

Much love!