Revival is not intellectual.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament draws a sharp line between the natural mind and the mind that has been touched by divine fire. When Peter made his good confession, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God," our Lord replied, "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." And Paul expresses much the same thing when he says, "No man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost."

The sum of what I am saying is that there is an illumination, divinely bestowed, without which theological truth is information and nothing more. While this illumination is never given apart from theology, it is entirely possible to have theology without the illumination. This results in what has been called "dead orthodoxy," and while there may be some who deny that it is possible to be both orthodox and dead at the same time I am afraid experience proves that it is.

Revivals, as they have appeared at various times among the churches of the past, have been essentially a quickening of the spiritual life of persons already orthodox. The revivalist, as long as he exercised his ministry as a revivalist, did not try to teach doctrine. His one object was to bring about a quickening of the churches which while orthodox in creed were devoid of spiritual life. When he went beyond this he was something else than a revivalist. Revival can come only to those who know truth. When the inner meaning of familiar doctrines suddenly flashes in upon the heart of a Christian the revival for him has already begun. It may go on to be much more than this but it can never be less.

A.W. Tozer

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A.W. Tozer...there's that name again! You're the second person I've heard talk about him today. A few weeks ago I looked up online why God would put someone like me through what I've gone through for years, knowing that I've been submissive to Him the best I'm able to (what I mean is I know we love each other dearly), and this Tozer guy gave the only satisfactory explanation I've come across to date. And now he's talking about revival, a subject dear to my heart? Is he well known?

Reactions: Taken and David H.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither is revival a planned event (e.g.Revival in two weeks, come one come all!)
nor is it an emotional fanfare.
Nor is revival a revival into heresy. Todd Bentley was not revival from the Holy Spirit as you consider his words, actions, manner, teachings, everything!

The idea of "intellectual revival", I don't really see a counterpart to that in the world. I think maybe the intellectualism comes once the emotionalism fades, before the person fully lets go from their false conversion.

The reality of the revival is shown in its fruit, I think.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revivals, as they have appeared at various times among the churches of the past, have been essentially a quickening of the spiritual life of persons already orthodox.
I've read reports of revivals where men and women of all sorts would simply fall to their knees in the street weeping over their sins. I would not limit the working of God.

Although if you are talking about "revivals in churches", then yes, those would be the church-folk. Even so, orthodox, unorthodox, I don't think that's the point.

The spiritually dead are shown grace by God that they may believe, and at times God moves in such ways that this happens with many at the same time.

I think the theology of revival is the Gospel pure and simple.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it is a sovereign move of the Holy Spirit...like the one I encountered in Cambridge in 1994.
I think so also!

It seems to me that God looks at humanity as a single being in a sense, "Man". God created Man, gave him life, and man now spreads out across the centuries. God reaches into Man, and makes a change in part of his line.

Like calling Abraham, the Isaac, then Jacob, and so all now who come after Jacob are Israel. Coniah, all who come after him disqualified. And of course Adam our federal head, or, if you translate Adam, Man. All who come after him born dead.

In thinking of revival, I guess I'm thinking in terms of this not just being about saving this one and that one, but God impacting a region with the presence of His new children maybe in somewhat the same way. That they will go on to bring in more converts, and so on.

What happened in Cambridge?

Much love!

Reactions: Truman

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A.W. Tozer...there's that name again! You're the second person I've heard talk about him today. A few weeks ago I looked up online why God would put someone like me through what I've gone through for years, knowing that I've been submissive to Him the best I'm able to (what I mean is I know we love each other dearly), and this Tozer guy gave the only satisfactory explanation I've come across to date. And now he's talking about revival, a subject dear to my heart? Is he well known?

In My Opinion, Tozer is the last great Prophet and teacher the church has had. He unlike many scholars today was Holy Spirit taught as opposed to seminary taught, and that is why there is a power to his writings.
His devotionals (taken from His books) can be found here:
A. W. Tozer and A. B. Simpson Daily Devotionals (cmalliance.org)

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think so also!

It seems to me that God looks at humanity as a single being in a sense, "Man". God created Man, gave him life, and man now spreads out across the centuries. God reaches into Man, and makes a change in part of his line.

Like calling Abraham, the Isaac, then Jacob, and so all now who come after Jacob are Israel. Coniah, all who come after him disqualified. And of course Adam our federal head, or, if you translate Adam, Man. All who come after him born dead.

In thinking of revival, I guess I'm thinking in terms of this not just being about saving this one and that one, but God impacting a region with the presence of His new children maybe in somewhat the same way. That they will go on to bring in more converts, and so on.

What happened in Cambridge?

Much love!
God started something at a sister church, the Toronto Airport Vineyard and it spread to the Cambridge Vineyard, where I unknowingly stumbled into it one day.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In My Opinion, Tozer is the last great Prophet and teacher the church has had. He unlike many scholars today was Holy Spirit taught as opposed to seminary taught, and that is why there is a power to his writings.
His devotionals (taken from His books) can be found here:
A. W. Tozer and A. B. Simpson Daily Devotionals (cmalliance.org)
He said something that explained why God has had me stuck away for so long and why I've suffered so much. It's what I sorta already thought, it's just not something you hear every day. I try not to think about it too much. I need to focus on the Lord, today.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God started something at a sister church, the Toronto Airport Vineyard and it spread to the Cambridge Vineyard, where I unknowingly stumbled into it one day.
I'd love to hear more if you want to share!

And of course we have a picture of a true revival in Scripture, in Ephesus, when they burned all their magic books. They repudiated their former way of life, incurring great personal cost not only in the price of the books, but that would have been their livelihood also.

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'd love to hear more if you want to share!

And of course we have a picture of a true revival in Scripture, in Ephesus, when they burned all their magic books. They repudiated their former way of life, incurring great personal cost not only in the price of the books, but that would have been their livelihood also.

Much love!
Yeah, you burn all that crap. All of these great architectural sites around the world? If I was in charge, I'd destroy them all! More power to the Muslims when they destroy these abominations!

Reactions: marks

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said something that explained why God has had me stuck away for so long and why I've suffered so much. It's what I sorta already thought, it's just not something you hear every day. I try not to think about it too much. I need to focus on the Lord, today.

This writing of his helped me greatly in my time of suffering, not sure if this is what you were referring to or not but the one that comes to mind.
Acts 17:11 Excerpt: Tozer on the Hammer, File, and Furnace for the Christian (acts17-11.com)

I Hope this encourages you as it did myself.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This writing of his helped me greatly in my time of suffering, not sure if this is what you were referring to or not but the one that comes to mind.
Acts 17:11 Excerpt: Tozer on the Hammer, File, and Furnace for the Christian (acts17-11.com)

I Hope this encourages you as it did myself.
I'm starting to like this guy! This is the scripture that I relate to: "See, it is I who created the blacksmith who fans the coals into flame and forges a weapon fit for its work." Isaiah 54:16

Reactions: David H.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, you burn all that crap. All of these great architectural sites around the world? If I was in charge, I'd destroy them all! More power to the Muslims when they destroy these abominations!
I haven't really wanted to say that out loud, but yeah! I'm not opposed to not keeping the altars of idols!

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess you already asked. Lol
One Sunday during July, 1994, I decided to drive the hour and a quarter drive from Delhi to Cambridge. I'd been told that there was a church there that wouldn't look down on me because I wore jeans or had long hair. So I mapped out my route and away I went.
I arrived to find a warehouse with lots of cars and people around it. A sign out front said, "Cambridge Vineyard Christian Fellowship." I remember it had a picture of a cluster of grapes on the sign. I parked around back and entered through the back door.
I entered a large room, and recognized it as a warehouse, since I'd worked in them before. It was full of chairs. I sat down in the back row, close to the door in case I wanted to leave unnoticed. The room filled up with several hundred people. I waited for the Reverend.
A guy in jeans, running shoes, and a golf shirt came to the front, and picking up the mic, started talking. I thought he was probably the janitor and had been told to keep us distracted. He started talking.
I recall he said that it was like we had a pond inside of us. And that if we allowed the water to flow out but not let more flow in, the pond would dry up. That If we allowed water to flow in but not out, it would become stagnant. But that if we let it flow in and out, the water would stay fresh. Made sense.
Then he said that when we came up for prayer, that we should not focus on the manifestations, but on Jesus. Having only heard the word manifestations in the movie, "Poltergeist," I actually looked up in the rafters, half expecting to see ghosts. Lol
Then everyone got up and started moving to the front. I thought, "He means now?" Decision time!
I'd been seriously looking for God for 4 months and had driven a ways to get there, so I made myself get up and go forward, not quite knowing what to expect, if anything. I'd gone to a church years before and when you went for prayer, you stood in single file. So I made sure I was last in line, in case I changed my mind. As we got closer to the front, I realized something was wrong. Oh, no, they're lining up side by side and since I was at the back, that would put me on the left end. I looked up to see where the church guys were and 2 of them were walking right at me, looking me in the eyes, and smiling! I was trapped! Bummer!
I got to the front and one guy stood in front of me as the other guy walked past me. I looked at him and as he looked at me, I saw golden light rays shine over his right shoulder. I also felt a gentle weight pushing down on me. A light ray started talking, saying, "God is eternal, He is holy, He is all-powerful; He could destroy the universe and recreate it in a second, if He wanted to."
Then behind the guy, I saw a tall, thin, mountain rise up out of sight. It had fire swirling around it. From up higher than I could see, a voice came down and touched the edge of my being, and said, "All things are possible, if one only believes."
I then saw a rainbow stretching from my left to my right. Except it looked like clear glass covered in fresh blood. Then from over to my left, something shot towards me and when it hit my chest, I realized the fulfillment of every desire I'd ever had, and a few I didn't know I had. At this point I felt like I was hanging in mid-air. Though I wasn't.
Then, on the ground and to the right of the guy in front of me, I saw what I now realize was a small bush, with fire in it. (don't look at me like that lol). From it came my Father's love for me! It was the greatest moment of my existence! He knew everything about me and accepted me unconditionally. Our hearts met and have never separated since. Now I'm crying!
Then I looked at the guy in front of me. He reached out a finger and touched my shirt. I was violently rocked back on my heals. It took all my strength to stay on my feet. A voice behind me said, "Relax!" The guy in front of me touched my shirt again and this time I went over.
When I came to, I was laying on the floor. Several people to my right were laying on the floor. The church guys were over a bit. I thought, "Great, they moved away from me because they think I'm a nut for falling over!" Which is what I thought about people who fell over. I don't think that anymore. Lol
I tried to get up but I couldn't! I was stuck to the floor like it was fly paper. I was really perplexed. I kept trying but finally gave up. Awhile later I tried and was able to get up. I found the "janitor" (he later was pastor of a Vineyard church plant I was part of) and explained to him what had happened. He said, "I see the glory of God resting on you." This also perplexed me as I had no idea what that meant!
Anyway, I was part of that church for 3 years and then I left. It's time was about over. I think part of the reason for it was a party God threw for me! It was the best 3 years of my life.
Since then I relate to some things that A.W. Tozer writes about. Ouch! Lol God is awesome!

Last edited:

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A. W. Tozer
His books had an impact/influence..
- During the early days of my spiritual journey.
---
'The Pursuit of God'
- Christian Classic.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are ALL ... TESTED.
(Things seem whacky; parents having to bury their children, people with dilibating health issues, "unjust" justices, Cheaters exalted, Wrongs called Right, Lies called Truths, the unacceptable pepurtated as acceptable, the worker oppresed, the thief sitting high....)

AND THE "TEST"...."IS"...
"WHO" ya going to RELY ON...STAND WITH?
* TRUST "IN" God, you can NOT SEE or HEAR?
"OR"
* TRUST "IN" man...Blabbing 24-7 with his vaneer smile and 5 thousand dollar suit, and "Lying Promises" ?

You have MADE "your STAND" clear.
Gods "great Blessings are slated FOR YOU.

Glory to God,
Taken

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are ALL ... TESTED.
(Things seem whacky; parents having to bury their children, people with dilibating health issues, "unjust" justices, Cheaters exalted, Wrongs called Right, Lies called Truths, the unacceptable pepurtated as acceptable, the worker oppresed, the thief sitting high....)

AND THE "TEST"...."IS"...
"WHO" ya going to RELY ON...STAND WITH?
* TRUST "IN" God, you can NOT SEE or HEAR?
"OR"
* TRUST "IN" man...Blabbing 24-7 with his vaneer smile and 5 thousand dollar suit, and "Lying Promises" ?

You have MADE "your STAND" clear.
Gods "great Blessings are slated FOR YOU.

Glory to God,
Taken
God is my great blessing!

Reactions: Taken