Rewire Your Heart Day 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read that they ate one meal a day around 4 pm our time....
I should add that the source I read it from was on the internet....:) so I can't be sure of the accuracy of the information.

I read something similar regarding the apostle John while he lived in Ephesus. :)

Where did you read that?

Reactions: Mayflower

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read something similar regarding the apostle John while he lived in Ephesus. :)

Where did you read that?
I can't remember...I just remember what it said concerning this...don't even remember anything else about the article.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We've lost this teaching today, and I believe it needs to come back. The modern church is steeped in sexual sin, and all the self-help style methods of "fixing" the issue don't really work for most Christians having trouble, especially the men. But it is not a comfortable teaching. This is another reason why I think the early church was right in adopting fasting as a serious Christian practice. Only the Spirit of God would urge a teaching that is so utterly dislikable to our flesh, LoL.
Faith is what overcomes. If in fasting, you show a greater faith, this is good!

God's Spirit fills you with His fulness even now.

BTW . . . not everyone dislikes fasting! I do it routinely, but not for religious reasons.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is what overcomes. If in fasting, you show a greater faith, this is good!

Well, in relation to sexual sin, there is actually more to it than that, Mark. Fasting brings the sex drive under subjection if done long enough. There are studies I could show you that prove it can rather drastically effect sexual appetite if maintained over a prolonged period of time.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, in relation to sexual sin, there is actually more to it than that, Mark. Fasting brings the sex drive under subjection if done long enough. There are studies I could show you that prove it can rather drastically effect sexual appetite if maintained over a prolonged period of time.
Sufficient fasting will effect all appetites actually.

However . . . faith subjugates fleshy drives, only, be it to you according to your faith. The fact is that the body is already rendered powerless over us, and we are no longer under sin's mastery. Only, be it to you according to your faith.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

However . . . faith subjugates fleshy drives, only, be it to you according to your faith. The fact is that the body is already rendered powerless over us, and we are no longer under sin's mastery. Only, be it to you according to your faith.

Much love!

Uh... goodness, LoL. Mark, I wish I could believe this but I just don't. Not that I'm arguing with you, just confessing that this is incredibly foreign to my way of thinking. I can "believe" my way into thinking the flesh is "dead" when I just fed it three hamburgers, two pizzas and a lemon meringue pie.

It only happens for me if I "mortify my members" for real, not simply "by faith."

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

I'm not trying to minimize the battle we are in. I get the flesh issues from ample experience. And I get that a badly corrupted flesh can put up an extreme fight, leading our minds this way and that way, and sometimes in horrible ways.

It's in faith that we overcome. Paul wrote that he beat his body to keep it under. We need to do whatever harsh seeming thing we need to do to help ourselves in the fight against sin, but I still say, it is in our faith that we will find victory. I don't think Paul was talking about self-flagellation. And if not that, it's metaphorical, and I would think to speak towards the extremity in how we see the flesh, and our fight against it.

That fight has already been won for us be Christ. I would to God that we could each of us have a total trust in that in all times, because in that IS our life of victory, overcoming the flesh each time.

In Christ, by faith in Christ, we know only victory. But . . . be it to us according to our faith!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can "believe" my way into thinking the flesh is "dead"
No. Not believe your way into something. Rather, believing what God said is so. That you've been crucified with Christ. That you are dead to sin, and alive to God.

It is real.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh... goodness, LoL. Mark, I wish I could believe this but I just don't. Not that I'm arguing with you, just confessing that this is incredibly foreign to my way of thinking. I can "believe" my way into thinking the flesh is "dead" when I just fed it three hamburgers, two pizzas and a lemon meringue pie.

It only happens for me if I "mortify my members" for real, not simply "by faith."
What I mean is, it's by faith that we mortify our members. By right believing. Trusting what God said is true.

If your faith is expressed in your fasting, God bless you!

Sometimes the hardest thing for me is to maintain my unbroken awareness of God, yet, in so doing, I find a complete freedom. A complete love and peace and joy and self control. I've learned to no longer fight against the sin, as it were, more like, I fight against the sin indirectily, by making my fight to be close to God. That's where I find freedom, Near to the Heart of God.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not trying to minimize the battle we are in. I get the flesh issues from ample experience. And I get that a badly corrupted flesh can put up an extreme fight, leading our minds this way and that way, and sometimes in horrible ways.

It's in faith that we overcome. Paul wrote that he beat his body to keep it under. We need to do whatever harsh seeming thing we need to do to help ourselves in the fight against sin, but I still say, it is in our faith that we will find victory. I don't think Paul was talking about self-flagellation. And if not that, it's metaphorical, and I would think to speak towards the extremity in how we see the flesh, and our fight against it.

That fight has already been won for us be Christ. I would to God that we could each of us have a total trust in that in all times, because in that IS our life of victory, overcoming the flesh each time.

In Christ, by faith in Christ, we know only victory. But . . . be it to us according to our faith!

Much love!

This seems a little closer to something I could agree with.
No. Not believe your way into something. Rather, believing what God said is so. That you've been crucified with Christ. That you are dead to sin, and alive to God.

It is real.

Much love!

Ugh... LoL. This is where we again get into that thing of, was he saying this as a theoretical truth or a practical reality in his life?

And I'm too tired tonight, LoL. But I do appreciate the previous post. That works for me a little better.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can "believe" my way into thinking the flesh is "dead" when I just fed it three hamburgers, two pizzas and a lemon meringue pie.
IF this was not what God was ordaining for you, ;) then by my estimation it would have resulted from NOT believing the flesh to be dead, and instead thinking you have to yield to it's appetites.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ugh... LoL. This is where we again get into that thing of, was he saying this as a theoretical truth or a practical reality in his life?

And I'm too tired tonight, LoL. But I do appreciate the previous post. That works for me a little better.
Romans 6 gives this as a general teaching. To be baptized into Christ - if you are In Christ - it means to be risen with Him just the same. Death and resurrection are God's process for our justification, to be separated by death from the penalty of our sins, and to be separated by reason of a new life from the corruption of sin.

Much love!