Rewire Your Heart Day 3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rewire Your Heart: 10 Days To Fight Sin • Devotional
https://bible.com/reading-plans/12779/day/3?segment=0

Scriptures:

For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.
Luke 6:43‭-‬45 NASB1995

Good or Bad Comes From The Heart
What causes us to do good or evil? Most people seem to think that it comes down to the decisions we make. If you set your mind on doing good you will. If you choose to do evil, you’ll do that instead.

But Jesus teaches us that the real source of our actions lies much deeper. It all comes down to the heart.

“The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks” (Lk. 6:45).

Whatever is in your heart ends up in your life.

What you treasure, value, glory in, and enjoy will result in what you do. If you treasure good things in your heart, then you will do good. If you treasure evil in your heart, then you will do evil.

So how do we change what our hearts treasure? The answer, in Jesus’ words, is different than we might expect. We might expect a list of disciplines, habits, or meditations that would change what our hearts value.

However, the condition of your heart is not based on what you do, but who you are. Jesus taught that a good tree can’t bear bad fruit and a bad tree can’t bear good fruit. Only good trees can bear good fruit.

So we must ask, how do we become a good tree?

That is the work of the Gospel. Jesus makes us a good tree despite all our bad fruit. He saves us and transforms us before we have done anything to earn that transformation.

All we need to do is see ourselves as the good tree Jesus has made us to be, and our hearts will treasure him above all else.

Do you want to change your actions? Treasure Jesus for making you into a good tree even when you were the worst tree there was. He will then work in your heart to bear good fruit.

My original thoughts:

I like that, how the devotional says to see yourself as a good tree in Christ Jesus. I definitely know I am in Christ, so the verse says that I will bear good fruit. Fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5:23 is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. I am a Christian thankfully, and very blessed to be able to see myself as that and bear the fruit of the spirit. Everything else in life tends to fall into place when that happens. I am grateful Christ forgives sin and just desires us to turn from it and choose Him instead. It doesn't matter where we have been, or done. He still loves in us. I am amazed by God's grace.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you see yourself negatively, that is definitely going to effect whether or not you overcome sinful habits. We need to see ourselves how God sees us, so that as a good tree, we will produce that good fruit of the spirit

My pastor always tells us how important affirmations are to remind ourselves who we are in Christ

4873bc95c067cb7109443a05577c60b2--christian-life-christian-quotes.jpg

Reactions: MatthewG

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.
Luke 6:43‭-‬45 NASB1995

Good or Bad Comes From The Heart
What causes us to do good or evil? Most people seem to think that it comes down to the decisions we make. If you set your mind on doing good you will. If you choose to do evil, you’ll do that instead.

But Jesus teaches us that the real source of our actions lies much deeper. It all comes down to the heart.

“The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks” (Lk. 6:45).

Whatever is in your heart ends up in your life.

What you treasure, value, glory in, and enjoy will result in what you do. If you treasure good things in your heart, then you will do good. If you treasure evil in your heart, then you will do evil.

Ok, now this is an AWESOME passage of scripture, and I like what she says here up to this point in the study.

Now, I have been discussing this scripture numerous times with people lately, and sharing the deeper meaning of what it may actually be saying. Again, everyone is free to consider what makes the most sense to them. But let me quote it again and highlight a few things:

For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart. (Luke 6:43-45)

If you read in Matthew, Jesus made another statement about treasure, saying, “Therefore every scribe who is instructed unto the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, who bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.” (Matthew 13:52).

What He meant here was that those who will receive revelation from the Spirit of God will bring forth meaning from both the Old Testament and also shed light on what in means in the New Testament era by expounding on what God had actually been saying all along, on things like how the gospel was always intended to be extended to the Gentiles, only it was "a mystery hidden in God."

So "treasure" here referred to revelation from God concerning His word. So too in our passage. "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good, and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil" means that a good man will bring forth good "treasure," i.e. accurate revelation from God, and an evil man will utter false teachings. Both of them will "treasure" the things they believe, but one will teach truth and the other falsehoods.

That these "figs and grapes" are actually teachings is also suggested by the fact that Jesus talked about men "gathering" them, and this is what people do when they find a good teacher. They will sit under them and "gather" in the things they are teaching as being something they wish to "eat" spiritually, as good spiritual food.

If you look at the parallel passage in Matthew, the same thing becomes apparent, because Jesus there combined the teaching with discussing what false prophets would teach:

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:15-23).

False prophets prophesy, and the things they prophesy are the main things people "gather in" from them. But the fruit they are speaking is bad fruit, and will not bring eternal life and health but spiritual corruption. This is also evident in what He said about the false prophets in Matthew 24. He told the disciples:

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers, believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shines even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 28 For wheresoever the carcass is, there will the vultures be gathered together. (Matthew 24:24-28).

He was saying that unlike Him, these false prophets and false Christs will be like "carcasses" or spiritually dead men, and the vultures will be their followers, who have gathered around them to eat of their dead and corrupted teachings.

Ok, I guess that's enough for now. But the way all of this would relate to the teaching on the heart is that the way we "rewire" our heart properly is through desiring the Word of God, and to grow in good teaching that comes from the Lord and not the enemy. True revelation brings life to the Spirit, and quickens the inner man, because "His words are Spirit, and they are Life." And from that word comes the fruit of the Spirit. As you say, "The fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5:23 is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control," and all these will likewise begin to manifest more and more when we gather in the true word of Life, and take it within us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry so if I click on this or wherever that was, it's a virtual online thing like Zoom? if so, I'd have to find a good time for that.

I wouldn't feel sorry about the app. It is a good spot though. I find it useful and has like every version of the Bible on it. I use it a lot. But I'm sharing the devotionals on here so we can discuss them. This one is by spoken gospel ministries, Thomas Nelson.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wouldn't feel sorry about the app. It is a good spot though. I find it useful and has like every version of the Bible on it. I use it a lot. But I'm sharing the devotionals on here so we can discuss them. This one is by spoken gospel ministries, Thomas Nelson.
Yes I shouldn't have said sorry but my question was is this a virtual bible study like as in like Zoom? Or something else.. how is it like? thanks

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I shouldn't have said sorry but my question was is this a virtual bible study like as in like Zoom? Or something else.. how is it like? thanks

Oh no. That would be pretty cool though. LOL I never did that with people on forums.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that would be cool, lol so it's like a chat, is that what Hidden In Him meant by saying 'hello'? is yours like a chat box where you ask questions?

No. I just meant say hello on the threads, Lol.

I think chat Bible studies probably wouldn't work for me. I'm more into exchanging content, which takes a little time to write out clearly and succinctly. But I wouldn't always have to attend either. Just depends on what the majority would like to do. :)

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No. I just meant say hello on the threads, Lol.

I think chat Bible studies probably wouldn't work for me. I'm more into exchanging content, which takes a little time to write out clearly and succinctly. But I wouldn't always have to attend either. Just depends on what the majority would like to do. :)
Oh ok, i think I will post in one of these Bible studies. I do have questions. :)