Rich In Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
[font="arial]"Rich In Christ"[/font]

[font="Arial"]By Zach Wood[/font]

Matthew 19:16-24

Instead of writing out the verses in this devotional, I want to encourage you to take your Bible and read through the story of the Rich Young Man found in Matthew chapter 19. The other morning I was reading this story for my devotional time and it really spoke to me. My first thought was, "Lord, what is it that I am keeping that You want me to surrender and give up to follow You more?"

Each of us has something in our lives that has become so important to us that it is keeping us from faithfully following God. Now, please understand, being wealthy is not considered a sin by any means. Yes, money can do terrible things to us if we do not manage it well or use it in ways God asks us to. I am using this example of the Rich Young Man because he was sad that he Jesus asked him to sell what he had and give to the poor. It was something he did not want to give up and surrender. This is the point that should hit home for all of us. What is it that keeps us from following God faithfully? Each of us is holding something back that needs to be completely surrendered and given to God so that we can be more faithful.

I think each day about what keeps me from following God faithfully. What am I holding close to my heart that is more important than spending time with God and keeping my relationship rich in Christ? What about you?

Each of us must sincerely ask the question to God, "What is it that I need to give up and surrender in order to completely follow You?" I will warn you, that is a very dangerous question and will result in challenges and growing experiences. Some that will be exciting and some that will be scary. When we give up the things that hinder us from following God wholeheartedly, we will experience incredible growth and richness in Christ we never thought possible.

I challenge and encourage each of us to read this story of the Rich Young Man and putting ourselves in that picture and figuring out what keeps us from faithfully following Him. Do we just get frustrated at what we need to surrender and just go on living the way we do each day? Or do we sincerely ask Him and work on removing the hindrances that keep us from becoming more for Him?