Rich in the Eyes of God-Poor in the Eyes of the World

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dga

Dec 22, 2020
Ashford
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When we read the Epistle of James, chapter 2, we find out, that the attention of heaven, is towards the materially poor people, who are rich in faith.

We could fall in the trap sometimes, of thinking, that if we are not rich materially, then we are not considered successful. But, that is not according to the standards of heaven. Those standards, are the standards of the world.

It makes me wonder, why did not God chose one materially rich person, to be one of his Apostles? I mean think about it. Jesus chose his Apostles, but not one of them was considered rich, in the eyes of the world, that is having a lot of money. And another thing that makes me wonder, is why did God not prepare a rich, nice and beautiful place, for his Son Jesus, to be born into, but Jesus had to be born in a building, where they keep animals, a place which is not the most appropriate for anyone to be born.

Well, it does not mean that God wants us Christians poor financially or materially, that is for sure, but he considers one to be a successful person, who has faith in him, and serves him according to the Word of God.

I mean think about it. John the Baptist was considered the be the greatest person ever lived, on the earth, not including Jesus, who was fist of all and the greatest, but John the Baptist according to Jesus, was greater than Moses, greater than king David, greater than Solomon, and greater than anybody else in this world, who ever existed. In fact, according to Jesus, John the Baptist was greater than king Solomon.

Now king Solomon, was the reach-est man in the world, materially, but John the Baptist was greater than Solomon in the eyes of God. Why? Because when Jesus said in the Gospels, that John the Baptist was the greatest person among those born among women, he was considering, that on a spiritual level, not material, because John the Baptist did not have even financial revenue to buy himself, proper food, but was eating locust and wild honey.

So there is a difference of how we or this world defines success, and how God defines success.

MORE: Life Gets You Down But God Lifts You Up
life gets you down but god lifts you up

Reactions: Pisteuo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello dga,

Reading your post reminded me of these scriptures founded in 1 Corinthians.

“and to those called — both Jews and Greeks — Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God, because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men; for see your calling, brethren, that not many [are] wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but the foolish things of the world did God choose, that the wise He may put to shame; and the weak things of the world did God choose that He may put to shame the strong; and the base things of the world, and the things despised did God choose, and the things that are not, that the things that are He may make useless — that no flesh may glory before Him; and of Him ye — ye are in Christ Jesus, who became to us from God wisdom, righteousness also, and sanctification, and redemption, that, according as it hath been written, ‘He who is glorying — in the Lord let him glory.’”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1:24-31‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we read the Epistle of James, chapter 2, we find out, that the attention of heaven, is towards the materially poor people, who are rich in faith.

We could fall in the trap sometimes, of thinking, that if we are not rich materially, then we are not considered successful. But, that is not according to the standards of heaven. Those standards, are the standards of the world.

It makes me wonder, why did not God chose one materially rich person, to be one of his Apostles? I mean think about it. Jesus chose his Apostles, but not one of them was considered rich, in the eyes of the world, that is having a lot of money. And another thing that makes me wonder, is why did God not prepare a rich, nice and beautiful place, for his Son Jesus, to be born into, but Jesus had to be born in a building, where they keep animals, a place which is not the most appropriate for anyone to be born.

Well, it does not mean that God wants us Christians poor financially or materially, that is for sure, but he considers one to be a successful person, who has faith in him, and serves him according to the Word of God.

I mean think about it. John the Baptist was considered the be the greatest person ever lived, on the earth, not including Jesus, who was fist of all and the greatest, but John the Baptist according to Jesus, was greater than Moses, greater than king David, greater than Solomon, and greater than anybody else in this world, who ever existed. In fact, according to Jesus, John the Baptist was greater than king Solomon.

Now king Solomon, was the reach-est man in the world, materially, but John the Baptist was greater than Solomon in the eyes of God. Why? Because when Jesus said in the Gospels, that John the Baptist was the greatest person among those born among women, he was considering, that on a spiritual level, not material, because John the Baptist did not have even financial revenue to buy himself, proper food, but was eating locust and wild honey.

So there is a difference of how we or this world defines success, and how God defines success.

MORE: Life Gets You Down But God Lifts You Up
life gets you down but god lifts you up

True, Jesus family was not worldly rich, even when Jesus grew up and was in his ministry pointed out that he had no were to lay his head. But how happy we are to be spiritually rich sir, in my opinion there is no comparison.

The religious leaders in Jesus' day, as well as many today are quite rich, and although riches are not necessarily bad, it is what you do with it that counts. It is really that love of riches that is the problem, even those who are not materially well off can be guilty of this. When the pursuit of riches overruns one's obligation to God, then it becomes a sin, even if they don't have material riches? Why might that be? Because Jesus stated very clearly, that if we place the Kingdom first in our lives, God will provide for us. That means we truly put our trust in Jehovah, He will provide, I certainly know of no Christian that is starving Ps 37:25. I will say however that there are some circumstances beyond our control as to where that can happen, like in the nazi camps, but I know of nothing like that today. I think even those who are incarcerated for their faith are fed adequately.