Romans 6-8/ What did Paul mean by the word "sin?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saying, "your systematic theology is wrong" does not benefit me at all. What about it do you reject?

Well I do not know all your theology, but we all have it. but your whole concept that man still has some kind of goodness in him and the ability in his unsaved state to choose the things of God is what is wrong.

We both agree that Scripture is inspired and reliable. And yet you suggest I'm wrong and are unable to say why.

You say here that Scripture is inspired and reliable, but then you also say Paul told stories that need "interpretation". This is a contradiction. For if the Word of God needs to be "interpreted" then what was written is not inspired, but what people say it means is.

If you can't explain what is wrong about my statements, then I strongly encourage you to withdraw your criticism until you can actually put into words what your complaint is! Everything I said is 100% Scriptural. And yet you say it is against Scripture, but are unable to say where it does not align with Scripture. I have to conclude that you're a critic without any sense of what you're criticizing?

No everything you said is your thinking of what Paul meant. you even said so. So I ask you why should I accept your opinion of Pauls writing and not what Paul wrote?

Paul said those in their human nature cannot pleaser God, but you say they can! One of you is wrong.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All sin is *forgiveable.* There will certainly be consequences to sin, but it is all forgivable. I consider it highly judgmental to say that one who is presently in sin is damned. That's my point.

Just one sin is unforgivable. dying without trusting in Christ! that leads to an eternity in the lake of fire.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just one sin is unforgivable. dying without trusting in Christ! that leads to an eternity in the lake of fire.

What an awful thing to say, though I don't think you meant it. A major, cardinal doctrine in Christianity is: Christ's death covers *all* sin. There is *no sin* that is unforgiveable.

Perhaps you wish to rephrase your statement, or at least explain it? I do think that what you meant to say is that any sin can lead to damnation, if not repented of in the name of Jesus' atonement?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I do not know all your theology, but we all have it. but your whole concept that man still has some kind of goodness in him and the ability in his unsaved state to choose the things of God is what is wrong.

You make lots of errors, brother. What is heresy is Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism. So you do not "know" what you have from me, because I am neither. Having free will and having the ability to come to Salvation apart from Christ are two very different things. Being able to do good and being able to do good without God's help are two very different things.

When you understand this, get back to me. You are completely misrepresenting my argument. I need to be sure you're an honest broker of the truth in this regard, or on a mission to hunt for heresies where they don't exist.

You say here that Scripture is inspired and reliable, but then you also say Paul told stories that need "interpretation". This is a contradiction. For if the Word of God needs to be "interpreted" then what was written is not inspired, but what people say it means is.

If Paul wrote in Greek, you would need a translation. When someone says something in an ancient culture with a deep background in Judaism, it requires "interpretation." The words, without any background, are difficult to understand. I was raised up in Christianity, and went to church almost every week of my life. I still have trouble understanding Paul in some respects! If you think it's clear and requires no interpretation, then you're something special.

But I think you're trying to say something different. I think you're trying to say that my "interpretation" is something like "interpreting tongues," in which I'm able to say what Paul wrote based on my own thinking, and not on what Paul actually writes? If that's what you're saying, that's simply untrue. I believe the "interpretation" is actually an explanation of what Paul is actually writing. It is explaining what Paul is actually saying in the necessary context so that he is not misinterpreted!

No everything you said is your thinking of what Paul meant. you even said so. So I ask you why should I accept your opinion of Pauls writing and not what Paul wrote?

I don't think you know what I said and meant! I don't at all mean to change Paul's meaning! I have no clue what you're trying to say here? You certainly should not accept anything I say if it is not in line with what Paul wrote. Frankly, if you can't understand what I'm saying, then you can't think that you always get Paul right either! Sometimes we just don't read things right.

Paul said those in their human nature cannot pleaser God, but you say they can! One of you is wrong.

I explained that. When our Sin Nature propels us to live without God, and to act autonomously, separate from God, then we *cannot* do good. But having a Sin Nature we are still able to do good, because even in our Sin Nature we can approach God and make use of His grace to choose for the good and to do good. Do you understand the difference here?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the record, I am neither a Pelagian nor a Semi-Pelagian. I don't think we can obtain Salvation apart from Christ, and I don't think we can even approach God apart from Christ. Please allow me to briefly explain because it is a dicey issue in light of the many disagreements surrounding the matter.

We cannot approach God unless God approaches us first. We cannot know who God is unless He reveals Himself to us. So we can exercise no virtue from God unless He first reveals it to us and enables us to do it.

Since God made Man in His image, He built us with the ability to approach Him and to do good through Him. In other words, God by nature approaches us and reveals the good to us so that we may do it.

The problem comes with the question of how Sin affects our ability to do good or to get Saved? My belief is that all men can do good, whether they get saved or not. God made men with the ability to do good, to partake of His virtues.

But this does not guarantee Salvation. God may enable all men to do good, but He does not force them to do good, nor does He force them to be saved. He has presented the Gospel of Salvation to all men, but He does not force all men to exercise it. All men can obtain from Christ the experience of Salvation, but to actually *be saved* one must embrace it--not just the *experience* of Salvation.

So all men can do good because God enables them to do it. But this does not mean all men, in doing good, are saved. Salvation comes when we embrace Christ, who is the sum total of all of God's good, minus all of the evil. In accepting him we repent of all our sins and embrace Christ as our life. This brings grace into our lives so that even though we still live in corrupt flesh we are able to receive grace for Salvation.

That means we will actually live in this new life in Christ, showing our repentance by living in the virtues of Christ. We won't do so perfectly, but in embracing Christ we show that he is our choice for all eternity. And that is enough for Salvation.

Our Sin Nature is in us, but we are not thereby forced into only sinning. Having a Sin Nature means our good nature is corrupted so that we do both good and evil. Whenever we act apart form God's word we do evil. Whenever we obey God's word in our conscience we produce good.

When Paul speaks of "living in the flesh," he is not talking about our having a Sin Nature only. Rather, he is talking about our choice to live in that Sin Nature, choosing to live autonomously and independent of God's virtues. It is an attempt to establish a claim for our own virtues, which certainly cannot reflect Divine virtue!

So when we "live in the sinful flesh," we choose to sin and cannot produce good. But if our choice is purely temporal or emotional, it is not necessarily damning. All sin can be forgiven, if it is temporary. What determines our permanent choice is when, by the Holy Spirit, one either embraces Christ or not.

But that choice is not always clear when an "emotional choice" is being made under duress or under extreme circumstances. We should always be slow to judge if we don't have a clear view on this!

To choose to do good should always be recognized, whether that choice is being made by a Christian or not. But we should also recognize that God does not recognize the choice to do good as equal to the choice for Salvation. That choice only comes by embracing Christ, who alone represents Eternal Salvation.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What an awful thing to say, though I don't think you meant it. A major, cardinal doctrine in Christianity is: Christ's death covers *all* sin. There is *no sin* that is unforgiveable.

Perhaps you wish to rephrase your statement, or at least explain it? I do think that what you meant to say is that any sin can lead to damnation, if not repented of in the name of Jesus' atonement?

If one dies without having trusted on teh death and resurrection for their sins, they are lost forever. Universalism is a lie from hell.

Jesus paid for all sin. but if one deos not accept the payment- then they die in their sin and are lost forever. that is Gods Word.

It is an aweful thing to say! But it is truth nonetheless.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make lots of errors, brother. What is heresy is Pelagianism and Semi-Pelagianism. So you do not "know" what you have from me, because I am neither. Having free will and having the ability to come to Salvation apart from Christ are two very different things. Being able to do good and being able to do good without God's help are two very different things.

When you understand this, get back to me. You are completely misrepresenting my argument. I need to be sure you're an honest broker of the truth in this regard, or on a mission to hunt for heresies where they don't exist.

I am just commnenting on your words. If you did not mean what you wrote, I cannot help that. I am not a here3sy hunter, but what you wrote is wrong. Free will in the unsaved is a myth that taken root in christian faith.

If Paul wrote in Greek, you would need a translation. When someone says something in an ancient culture with a deep background in Judaism, it requires "interpretation." The words, without any background, are difficult to understand. I was raised up in Christianity, and went to church almost every week of my life. I still have trouble understanding Paul in some respects! If you think it's clear and requires no interpretation, then you're something special.

No it does not require interpretation- but education to know what it was in their day!

I do not have all of Paul down yet. But having been a believer now for 49 years, graduating and teachin gBible Co9llegfe and being an ardent student of the word, I do know a little. It does not need interpretation- It needs acceptance.

And yes we need to understand it in the terms of the culture and language it was written in, but that is not interpretation, but education. Also I think god knew what to inspire for teh letters that were to become the New Testament that all believers are bound to live by!

I explained that. When our Sin Nature propels us to live without God, and to act autonomously, separate from God, then we *cannot* do good. But having a Sin Nature we are still able to do good, because even in our Sin Nature we can approach God and make use of His grace to choose for the good and to do good. Do you understand the difference here?

Yes I understand your position. But it is not biblical- just the opposite in reality.

You have subtly redefined sin to mean autonomous.

If the bible is our arbiter and source for what is and is not spiritually then you cannot say that. Yes superficially we can do "good". But in the eyes of God if it is not done by the leading of the Holy Spirit in His eyes it is filthy rags. That is the bible. superficial means nothing.

The people going to teh lake fo fire forever in Matt. 7 did many wonmderful good deeds and jesus said He never had a relationship with them.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one dies without having trusted on teh death and resurrection for their sins, they are lost forever. Universalism is a lie from hell.

Jesus paid for all sin. but if one deos not accept the payment- then they die in their sin and are lost forever. that is Gods Word.

It is an aweful thing to say! But it is truth nonetheless.

I don't believe in universalism, and didn't say so in the least!

You suggested that virtually every sin is "unforgiveable." Obviously, you meant something else!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am just commnenting on your words. If you did not mean what you wrote, I cannot help that. I am not a here3sy hunter, but what you wrote is wrong. Free will in the unsaved is a myth that taken root in christian faith.

So you say *by your own authority.* But Christianity has always believed in free will, both in regenerate Christianity and in unregenerate Christianity. It was Martin Luther who took a step farther and declared "the bondage of the will." Although I understand the sentiment in Luther's argument, I think his wording is bad, and I think he borders on fatalism.

Calvin does the same thing, even though I agree with his Predestination. The bondage of the will is the myth, as is your view that unbelievers don't have free will.

I do not have all of Paul down yet. But having been a believer now for 49 years, graduating and teachin gBible Co9llegfe and being an ardent student of the word, I do know a little. It does not need interpretation- It needs acceptance.

I sincerely respect that. I also have been walking with the Lord for about 50 years. Your humility suggests you're honest, because I've known people who should be spiritual giants by now, but fall back into immaturity and pettiness. It really doesn't matter how long someone has been walking with the Lord if they decide to jump off the truck.

But your sense of free will, then, is a matter of personal preference. You know that Erasmus took issue with Luther, and that Melanchthon has a more moderate view of free will than Luther did?

And yes we need to understand it in the terms of the culture and language it was written in, but that is not interpretation, but education. Also I think god knew what to inspire for teh letters that were to become the New Testament that all believers are bound to live by!

I'm not playing this semantics game! The word "interpretation" can be used synonymously with "explanation." You seem to have implied I believe in *reinterpretation?* Obviously, one must study to show himself approved and worthy of "interpretation."

Yes I understand your position. But it is not biblical- just the opposite in reality.

You have subtly redefined sin to mean autonomous.

Actually, I'm *screaming it out!* ;) Sin is exactly that, namely acting apart from God's word to our heart. When God told Adam and Eve "not to eat," their insistence on doing so, in contradiction to the word of God, is what constituted "Sin."

When Man felt the after effects of walking autonomously, and independent from God, he found he could not return to Paradise. What does that mean?

It meant that Man had taken on the "Sin Nature." From that point on, all men have the Sin Tendency, the inclination towards resisting God's word to our heart. We have the knowledge of that independent spirit, known as the "knowledge of evil."

And we still have the "knowledge of good," which is the need to obey God's word to our heart. We are still able to hear and obey God's word, even though we have this Sin Nature. The Sin Nature does not make us "totally depraved" in the sense that we cannot do anything right with this Sin Nature saddling us. Rather, it means that if we choose to live *by the Sin Nature* we cannot do anything good.

Call that "subtle" if you like. But I call it a reasonable "interpretation."

If the bible is our arbiter and source for what is and is not spiritually then you cannot say that. Yes superficially we can do "good". But in the eyes of God if it is not done by the leading of the Holy Spirit in His eyes it is filthy rags. That is the bible. superficial means nothing.

That is a complete contradiction! What is "superficial good?" It is not good at all if it is "superficial!" So what you're saying is that Cornelius didn't do good before he was a Christian--a direct contradiction to Acts 10.1-2.

You think that the Holy Spirit only operates with Christians who are obeying Christ? But the Holy Spirit is operating with all men, convicting them of "sin, righteousness, and judgment." The unique relationship of the Holy Spirit to obedient believers is one thing, but it doesn't annul the work of the Holy Spirit in directing men to live in the image of God, as they were created.

The people going to teh lake fo fire forever in Matt. 7 did many wonmderful good deeds and jesus said He never had a relationship with them.

I've been saying this regularly, and don't know why you're missing it? I said that "doing good does not equal getting Salvation." It is "accepting Christ" that alone brings justification.

In accepting Christ we are accepting all of God's good, and rejecting all evil. And in making Christ the spiritual source of our life, and in dying to ourselves, we obtain mercy and grace to live in righteousness, and are cleansed from our sins when we confess those sins.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amen

he who believes is not condemned

He who does not believe is condemned already.

Condemnation is based on unbelief or rejection of his gospel. which would be blasphemy of the spirit (since it is the spirits job to proclaim the gospel through Gods people)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe in universalism, and didn't say so in the least!

You suggested that virtually every sin is "unforgiveable." Obviously, you meant something else!

Well when I said that if one dies without Christ as Savior, they go to hell forever and you called that cruel or something. You said Jesus paid for all sins. That strongly implies universalis,m

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you say *by your own authority.* But Christianity has always believed in free will, both in regenerate Christianity and in unregenerate Christianity. It was Martin Luther who took a step farther and declared "the bondage of the will." Although I understand the sentiment in Luther's argument, I think his wording is bad, and I think he borders on fatalism.

Calvin does the same thing, even though I agree with his Predestination. The bondage of the will is the myth, as is your view that unbelievers don't have free will.

It doesn't matter what Christianity may or may not believe in. It is what the bible teaches that matters. How do you know his wording is bad and he did not write exactly what he meant.

No not my authority but Scriptre as I showed you. It is you by your authority who declared Paul was telling stories and you needed to clarify Pauls teachings.

But your sense of free will, then, is a matter of personal preference. You know that Erasmus took issue with Luther, and that Melanchthon has a more moderate view of free will than Luther did?

No.l My preference for free will is biblically based. Unbelievers cannot choose God. Believers, at the moment of salvation have their free will restored. Only believers can choose or not choose God. The bible is unambiguously clear that teh unsaved will not choose God, for the things of God are foolishness to them.

Paul made it clear. The unsaved are slaves to sin. slaves have no free will. They are owned by their masters. At least in Pauls day. And if we are to be obedient christians, we are to surrender our newly restored free will and became slaves to Jesus.

Actually, I'm *screaming it out!* ;) Sin is exactly that, namely acting apart from God's word to our heart. When God told Adam and Eve "not to eat," their insistence on doing so, in contradiction to the word of God, is what constituted "Sin."

Yes every sin is acting independently from God. But I am leary of how you use it given your penchant for the unsaved having free will.

Now this is how I define it in classes I teach.

all mankind has free volition (though that is a synonym of will) in that we can choose what job, what car, what food etc. But biblical free will is what allows a person to choose to follow God or not. The bible is clear, unsaved man will not choose to follow God unless God changes their heart.

It meant that Man had taken on the "Sin Nature." From that point on, all men have the Sin Tendency, the inclination towards resisting God's word to our heart. We have the knowledge of that independent spirit, known as the "knowledge of evil."

That is biblically incorrect. We do not have a tendency to sin- we have a nature that is sin.

Ephesians 2
King James Version

2 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

We were spiritually dead!! Not juyst mortally wounded or had a soul that had a tendency to sin!~ We are by nature objects of wrath!!!!!!

That is a complete contradiction! What is "superficial good?" It is not good at all if it is "superficial!" So what you're saying is that Cornelius didn't do good before he was a Christian--a direct contradiction to Acts 10.1-2.

Then let me exsplain. What I mean superficial good is something done apart from seeking the glory of God in doing it.

Bill Gates has done much "good" with his billions, but before God it counts for nothing. It will not save Him and it doesn't make him closer to heaven byu doing good.

Paul in 1 Cor. 13 said we can do all sorts of good, but have not love it profits nothing. And God is love-

Remember Phil. 2:

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Let me exemplify:

A man becomes a missionary and saves tens of thousands of souls through the preaching of the gospel. God called him just to stay home,be a faithful church attender and give to missions and raise godly children.

When He stands before teh throne- all his missionj work will be burned up as wood hay and stubble even though it is a very good work. Why? Because even in doing good, he was disobedient to Gods call on his life.

You think that the Holy Spirit only operates with Christians who are obeying Christ? But the Holy Spirit is operating with all men, convicting them of "sin, righteousness, and judgment." The unique relationship of the Holy Spirit to obedient believers is one thing, but it doesn't annul the work of the Holy Spirit in directing men to live in the image of God, as they were created.

And you would give man the credit for seeing His need for jesus while the /bible gives God the credit. What is in the person who accepots Chreist that is not in the person who rejects Christ? Can't say free will for both have them. Can't say human wisdom- for all the bible verses I posted to you.

In accepting Christ we are accepting all of God's good, and rejecting all evil. And in making Christ the spiritual source of our life, and in dying to ourselves, we obtain mercy and grace to live in righteousness, and are cleansed from our sins when we confess those sins.

that is not what the gospel teaches. We accept Christ to have His death and resurrection applied to us and are washed clean of all the penalty of sins at that moment

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amen

he who believes is not condemned

He who does not believe is condemned already.

Condemnation is based on unbelief or rejection of his gospel. which would be blasphemy of the spirit (since it is the spirits job to proclaim the gospel through Gods people)

So simple but yet the proud in heart cannot see this freeing truth!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just “one” huh?

“…the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21)

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.” (Galatians 6:7-8)

ANY SIN WILL DAMN YOU TO THE LAKE OF FIRE!

ESPECIALLY FOR CHRISTIANS WHO CONTINUE TO SIN AND TRAMPLE ON CHRIST!

“Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?” (Hebrews 10:29)

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just “one” huh?

“…the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21)

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.” (Galatians 6:7-8)

ANY SIN WILL DAMN YOU TO THE LAKE OF FIRE!

ESPECIALLY FOR CHRISTIANS WHO CONTINUE TO SIN AND TRAMPLE ON CHRIST!

“Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?” (Hebrews 10:29)

I am weary of dealing with you have to live perfect lives or God is going to smite you! No matter what you say- you do not believe that Jesus died for all your sin.

And without getting into a theologyu lesson you will reject anyway, all those people did not accept the payment for their sin!

Like Paul said:

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Colossians 3
King James Version

3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

John 10:28
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

YOu and Derrick have created a god that you have endowed with conditional human love. But the God of the bible has complete unconditional everlasting love for those who have trusted in teh death and resurrection of Jesus as the payment for ALL their sins. May both of you find HIm before it is too late.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you do not believe that Jesus died for all your sin.

I do believe that Christ died for my sins.

THE SINS THAT WERE COMMITTED UP TO THAT DAY WHEN I BELIEVED. NOT FUTURE SINS COMMITTED AFTER BEING EQUIPPED WITH THE TRUTH!

And the scripture makes this clear because future behavior is warned to be kept holy after conversion!

all those people did not accept the payment for their sin!

Yes they did!

They were sanctified by the blood!

Just like these:

“Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours” (1 Corinthians 1:2)

But the God of the bible has complete unconditional everlasting love for those who have trusted in teh death and resurrection of Jesus as the payment for ALL their sins.

Yes, for those who:

“…continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel” (Colossians 1:23)

The Bible is so clear that there must be some supernatural influence in action keeping some blind to the truth.

Maybe some have rejected the truth so much that this has happened:

“…God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:10-12)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 10:28
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Let’s see the full scripture:

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” (John 10:27-28)

Let’s test your hearing skills, because HEARING his voice was one of the two conditions of the “never perish” promise:

“…sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” (John 5:14)

Did you hear that?

NOW GO AND DO LIKEWISE!!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't matter what Christianity may or may not believe in. It is what the bible teaches that matters. How do you know his wording is bad and he did not write exactly what he meant.

;) Yes, I'm sure he wrote what he meant! His "wording is bad" because he is describing biblical realities using bad theological language.

In other words, he is, I believe, in error. He actually believed that we have free will, but he believed that Christ was necessary both for us to choose for Salvation and to choose to do good.

That is true. God must approach us first--otherwise, how are we to know what is expected of us? And how can we display virtues that are His unless He presents us with the opportunity to show them for ourselves?

So there is much that I would agree with Luther on. But he was so forceful in his denunciation of "good works" that he virtually rendered them all worthless, unless they are part of the regenerate life. And that's why I think his words are bad.

All mankind has been presented with the opportunity to be saved and to do good. We do not require some kind of "special revelation" to make these choices, since they are the default order of human creation--we *can* in fact hear God! Those words are in our human conscience. We *can* do good. We *can* choose for Salvation. We don't have to be Predestined to do any of these things!

Unbelievers cannot choose God. Believers, at the moment of salvation have their free will restored. Only believers can choose or not choose God. The bible is unambiguously clear that teh unsaved will not choose God, for the things of God are foolishness to them.

You're saying two different things here, and one doesn't follow from the other. You're saying that only at the precise moment of Salvation does one obtain freewill. And you're saying that the unsaved will not choose God. (If the unsaved don't have freewill, how can they choose against God?)

Both ideas are off, in my opinion. People have free will from the time they are born. They can choose God from the time they receive the revelation that allows them to make that choice. All men are given the revelation of Christ. They just require preachers to enable that message to penetrate their minds.

That's why the Gospel needs to be preached, so that people have revealed to them the choice they can choose for or against. It makes no sense to give people a choice if they *cannot* choose for it!

But I do believe that there are people born out of human concession to Satan, that freedom *from God* is more to be desired than freedom *with God.* And these children I call "children of the Devil." In my view, they choose against God. It's not that they can't choose for God--just that they *won't.*

Paul made it clear. The unsaved are slaves to sin. slaves have no free will. They are owned by their masters. At least in Pauls day. And if we are to be obedient christians, we are to surrender our newly restored free will and became slaves to Jesus.

Your example is bad. Slaves do have free will--they are simply limited in what they can choose.

The lost person has free will, but is unable to display the virtues of God unless he receives the revelation of what they are. He is unable to choose for Salvation unless he is first given a clear picture of his options.

It is only when a lost person chooses *against* the virtues of God that he becomes a slave to sin. He cannot display virtue that he does not have, and choosing against getting these virtues from God he cannot display them.

There is another "bondage" in play here, a bondage to the curse of death. A person is a slave to the curse of death unless he makes use of Christ's free offer of Salvation, which delivers us from death through his righteous life, freely given to us by the Spirit. The "bondage," in this case, is a legal entanglement, which Man may not be liberated from, no matter how much good he does, if he doesn't resort to accepting Christ completely.

Yes every sin is acting independently from God. But I am leary of how you use it given your penchant for the unsaved having free will.

I have that "penchant" because it's fact. God gave volitional powers to man from the beginning. And all men are being offered the revelation of Christ, which notifies them that the virtues of Christ are available, as well as Eternal Life, if one commits his entire life to is. That is, he must "die to himself," and then let Christ inform him for the rest of his life about what the right path is.

Now this is how I define it in classes I teach.

all mankind has free volition (though that is a synonym of will) in that we can choose what job, what car, what food etc. But biblical free will is what allows a person to choose to follow God or not. The bible is clear, unsaved man will not choose to follow God unless God changes their heart.

Yes, that's partly what I just said. Man by nature has volitional powers, and can make free choices. And his ability to choose *for God* is dependent upon God's revelation being made known to him.

However, inasmuch as God has shared the revelation of Christ universally, that free choice is there. It just requires *explanation* in a world of chaos, which is what the Church has been called to do, by teaching, preaching, encouraging, demonstrating, etc.

That is biblically incorrect. We do not have a tendency to sin- we have a nature that is sin.

I disagree. Yes, we have a Sin Nature, but yes, we have a tendency towards ignoring or rejecting God's guidance. Even having accepted Christ, we constantly are beset by the temptations of the flesh, such as pride, defensiveness, irritability, impatience, rage, etc. That is, we initially feel hesitancy or outright resistance to God's communicated word in our conscience.

Of course, it's easy to obey God when it serves our own purpose. But that isn't a complete commitment to Christ. It's when Christ leads us to walk in purity that our own human impurities show up, the Sin Tendency, the Sin Inclination, as the Jews call it.

Ephesians 2
King James Version

2 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

We were spiritually dead!! Not juyst mortally wounded or had a soul that had a tendency to sin!~ We are by nature objects of wrath!!!!!!

Although we were "dead" in terms of the judgment of God, we were actually still alive physically. Being alive we were still able to receive divine revelation and make choices.

Our death, spiritually, is a matter both of not having a perfect record and a lack of the benefits that comes from that record. We may indeed receive some of the virtues and life of Christ and still not be able to apply that sinless record for salvation.

Then let me exsplain. What I mean superficial good is something done apart from seeking the glory of God in doing it.

That is no different from what I said in that the unsaved, non-Christians can do good through Christ without obtaining Salvation. That is, they are not seeking God's glory, but their own. As such, they do not obtain from Christ all of the merit that belongs to His virtues, namely the forgiveness of Sin.

A man becomes a missionary and saves tens of thousands of souls through the preaching of the gospel. God called him just to stay home,be a faithful church attender and give to missions and raise godly children.

When He stands before teh throne- all his missionj work will be burned up as wood hay and stubble even though it is a very good work. Why? Because even in doing good, he was disobedient to Gods call on his life.

That's a bit harsh. Many Christians have failed to fully obey God. But they have obeyed God in the most important matter of acknowledging Salvation in Christ's ways alone.

The fact they do not always live in that way does not mitigate against them--it only tarnishes their record, and renders their example weak and less productive.

The thief on the cross who accepted Christ was hardly very productive in his life. But a single choice served to speak to many, many generations, who need to know that the simple act of repentance is sufficient for Salvation.

And you would give man the credit for seeing His need for jesus while the /bible gives God the credit. What is in the person who accepots Chreist that is not in the person who rejects Christ? Can't say free will for both have them. Can't say human wisdom- for all the bible verses I posted to you.

Yes, I give all men credit if they accept the need to display the virtues of Christ, even if they don't accept Christ himself. They at least have that. It may mean "less stripes" when they are cast out of the future "Paradise."

I'll take whatever men are willing to do, even if they refuse to get saved. Any good they do is welcome by me!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE SINS THAT WERE COMMITTED UP TO THAT DAY WHEN I BELIEVED. NOT FUTURE SINS COMMITTED AFTER BEING EQUIPPED WITH THE TRUTH!

So every sin you committed after salvation will be paid for by you! Hope they have skiing on the lake of fire!!

Just like these:

“Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours” (1 Corinthians 1:2)

Well teh jews in Hebrews were not believers. The context would show you that if you read it and study it.

es, for those who:

“…continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel” (Colossians 1:23)

The Bible is so clear that there must be some supernatural influence in action keeping some blind to the truth.

Maybe some have rejected the truth so much that this has happened:

“…God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” (2 Thessalonians 2:10-12)

No that is not agape love, but conditional temporary love! YOu have moved salvation from God to your sinless perfection and like Derrick you are guilty of preaching another gospel.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let’s see the full scripture:

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” (John 10:27-28)

Let’s test your hearing skills, because HEARING his voice was one of the two conditions of the “never perish” promise:

“…sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” (John 5:14)

Did you hear that?

NOW GO AND DO LIKEWISE!!

Now go and learn why a good shepherd carries a rod and staff like Jesus does. Teh blood has bought forgiveness 70X7 in a day for the same sin, if one truly acknowledges their sin. Now go and do the same and stop being so judgmental. You sound like Caiaphas.