Round Trip or One Way?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Yeah, but what are all those scriptures about sleeping? Does "sleep" mean something else. I just don't get it.

If Stephen literally saw the heavens open up then why would he be asleep in Jesus?

1 Thess 4:14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.
I went back and read all of Thess 4. If I were to have read that with out ever reading any other scripture on "sleep" I would guess that "sleep" in this instance was a translation for death. Read it this way, "For we believe that Jesus died and rose again. and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have "died" or rather "were a follower of Christ when they passed" in Him."
How would that look? I read the NIV. That of course is one of many translations. Has anyone read an amplified Bible and looked at that passage to see what it says?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I really want to make up my mind on this.
So you're saying in 1 Kings 17:21-22, the soul departs the body and goes to be with the Lord and sleeps?
Where does the soul sleep?
Asleep and sleep are words all throughout the Bible so, I just don't understand where they sleep.
ATP, I believe you are misinterpreting Scripture because you think that which begins its existence down here is able to return to God up there at death. If you want to believe that things which came into existence down here - our emotions, thoughts, knowledge, etc. - are able to return to a place in which they have never existed, then I can't convince you of the true meaning of the verses you claim are "proof" texts for consciousness in death. Death is the opposite of life, not a continuation of it, but the success of the first lie of the Bible - Ye shall not surely die - has sadly convinced millions that the devil told the truth to Eve.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phoneman777 said:
ATP, I believe you are misinterpreting Scripture because you think that which begins its existence down here is able to return to God up there at death. If you want to believe that things which came into existence down here - our emotions, thoughts, knowledge, etc. - are able to return to a place in which they have never existed, then I can't convince you of the true meaning of the verses you claim are "proof" texts for consciousness in death. Death is the opposite of life, not a continuation of it, but the success of the first lie of the Bible - Ye shall not surely die - has sadly convinced millions that the devil told the truth to Eve.
Phoneman777 I think you may have just further muddied the waters. :p See, I have become intrigued by this topic now. With your post, I feel it has drifted off from what ATP is asking. Simply because he wants to know what "sleep" means in the Bible. I read your post to say he is being lied to. How does that connect to what he is asking? I ask the same question. How does that connect to "Sleep"?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
This has been a great point of debate. It has been said by others that we "sleep" upon our natural or Earthly death. And we awake on Judgment day. From there we are either joined with Him or suffer a spiritual death which is condemnation. I cant recall where, but it does say in scripture (NT) that time is essentially irrelevant to the Kingdom of Heaven. So, could we assume that when we die, that we instantly awake to judgment day? Or, since we are "asleep" do we cease to exist for that time so we have no idea how much time has actually passed? This may very well be one of the mysteries we wont know until God himself shows us.... Thoughts?
You are absolutely right that when we die, our inability to sense the passing of time results in what seems to be but a brief moment between the closing of our eyes in death and the glorious awakening to the Savior's descent from heaven, for Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 KJV clearly says that this period of time in the grave is just such a state of insensibility. I don't understand how people can acknowledge that humans are unconscious when they sleep, but when the Bible regards death as this same sleep, the conclusion drawn is total consciousness and awareness.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phoneman777 said:
You are absolutely right that when we die, our inability to sense the passing of time results in what seems to be but a brief moment between the closing of our eyes in death and the glorious awakening to the Savior's descent from heaven, for Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 KJV clearly says that this period of time in the grave is just such a state of insensibility. I don't understand how people can acknowledge that humans are unconscious when they sleep, but when the Bible regards death as this same sleep, the conclusion drawn is total consciousness and awareness.
Okay. Then we agree on that. Thank you for validating that for me. :)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
Phoneman777 I think you may have just further muddied the waters. :p See, I have become intrigued by this topic now. With your post, I feel it has drifted off from what ATP is asking. Simply because he wants to know what "sleep" means in the Bible. I read your post to say he is being lied to. How does that connect to what he is asking? I ask the same question. How does that connect to "Sleep"?
Thanks for participating and for your thoughts. The original post was to draw attention to that it is the Spirit of Life alone which returns to God at death, but ATP seems he has proof texts to the contrary. In Psalm 13:3 KJV, David says just as plainly as Jesus that sleep is "death". A dreamless, thoughtless, state of insensibility which would be expected if the Living Soul, which exists only as a consequence of the union of the Spirit of Life and the Body (Genesis 2:7 KJV), goes out of existence at the moment the Spirit of Life returns to God leaving behind a Body to dissolve back into the dust (James 2:26 KJV).

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I owe you an apology Phoneman777. I forgot who the OP was. To your point, it seems we agree on the "state of the soul" upon death. Thank you for posting this topic. I have enjoyed discussing it! God Bless!!
BA

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
but ATP seems he has proof texts to the contrary.
What I'm simply asking is, since we know the soul departs the body at death(1 Kings 17:21-22),
where does the soul actually sleep. In a mansion, in God's bosom, on the side of road, in a bed?

Born_Again said:
I went back and read all of Thess 4. If I were to have read that with out ever reading any other scripture on "sleep" I would guess that "sleep" in this instance was a translation for death. Read it this way, "For we believe that Jesus died and rose again. and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have "died" or rather "were a follower of Christ when they passed" in Him."
How would that look?
Now that makes sense.
So I guess sleep or asleep refers to simply being dead.
I guess when Stephen saw the heavens open up, he was still alive.
He saw the heavens open up first, and then they killed him.

Acts 7:54-59 concerning the murder of Stephen... "When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord. And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."

Reactions: Born_Again

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
What I'm simply asking is, since we know the soul departs the body at death(1 Kings 17:21-22),
where does the soul actually sleep. In a mansion, in God's bosom, on the side of road, in a bed?

Now that makes sense.
So I guess sleep or asleep refers to simply being dead.
I guess when Stephen saw the heavens open up, he was still alive.
He saw the heavens open up first, and then they killed him.

Acts 7:54-59 concerning the murder of Stephen... "When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord. And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit."
ATP, "sleep" is a Biblical expression for "death", so a "soul that has fallen asleep" is just a euphemistic way of saying "a soul that has died and has ceased to be", seeing that the conditions necessary for a soul to exist - the union of the Body and Spirit of Life (Genesis 2:7 KJV) - no longer prevail for a creature which has died.

As I've stated in an earlier post, the Bible refers to you, me and all the animals as souls (Genesis 2:7 KJV; Revelation 16:3 KJV). The "soul" is the "whole being", not just some portion of it that flies away at death - it is the SPIRIT which flies away to God at death (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV; Luke 23:46 KJV; Acts 7:59 KJV) which is the "life giving principle that animates man and beast" which the Bible says is in both man and beast (Job 33:4 KJV; Ecclesiastes 3:19 KJV; Genesis 6:17 KJV; Genesis 7:15 KJV: Genesis 7:21-22 KJV).

Therefore, texts which depict the soul "departing" or "returning" are to be understood in the light of the fact that "soul" means "life", so it is simply "life" which has departed the living or returned to the dead, not some "transparent poltergeist" found in so many of Satanic Hollywood's deceptive movies.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
ATP, "sleep" is a Biblical expression for "death", so a "soul that has fallen asleep" is just a euphemistic way of saying "a soul that has died and has ceased to be", seeing that the conditions necessary for a soul to exist - the union of the Body and Spirit of Life (Genesis 2:7 KJV) - no longer prevail for a creature which has died.

As I've stated in an earlier post, the Bible refers to you, me and all the animals as souls (Genesis 2:7 KJV; Revelation 16:3 KJV). The "soul" is the "whole being", not just some portion of it that flies away at death - it is the SPIRIT which flies away to God at death (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV; Luke 23:46 KJV; Acts 7:59 KJV) which is the "life giving principle that animates man and beast" which the Bible says is in both man and beast (Job 33:4 KJV; Ecclesiastes 3:19 KJV; Genesis 6:17 KJV; Genesis 7:15 KJV: Genesis 7:21-22 KJV).

Therefore, texts which depict the soul "departing" or "returning" are to be understood in the light of the fact that "soul" means "life", so it is simply "life" which has departed the living or returned to the dead, not some "transparent poltergeist" found in so many of Satanic Hollywood's deceptive movies.
I will agree with all you're saying, but I have three final questions for you.

(1.) Since Hades is the grave where believers/nonbelievers are left unconscious, how or why did Jesus preach to the imprisoned spirits in Hades. (1 Peter 3:18-20 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19After being made alive,d he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,)

(2.) Since only the spirit represents "the breath", in 1 Kings 17:22 why is soul translated breath in the NET Bible. (NET - The LORD answered Elijah's prayer; the boy's breath returned to him and he lived. http://biblehub.com/1_kings/17-22.htm

(3.) If soul sleep is truth, then why pen down 2 Cor 5:8 and Phil 1:21-23.

- Thank you for your patience. ATP

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Phoneman, Regarding your conclusions,

#1 BEFORE - “Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 4:2-3 KJV)
Here we see that before man begins, he simply doesn't exist, plain and simple. Please discard any ideas about “pre-existing souls that God injects into the bodies of His creatures to make them alive” to the trash bin of error. It simply isn't so.

While all scripture is good for “doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness”, not all scripture contains all four. Ecc. is not the book for any kind of “sound doctrine” regarding death. While there are some things to be learned in that book, it is mostly the writings of a man “jaded” by his experiences. Written by someone who has “been there and done that” and still isn’t satisfied and is “despairing” in his later years. It is written by someone who has given up “hope” thus not a reliable source regarding the blessed hope within us.

#2 DURING - The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground (Body), and breathed into his nostrils the Breath of Life (Spirit), and man became a Living Soul. (Genesis 2:7 KJV)

Body + Spirit = Living Soul.

Here we see that man was not “given” a Soul, but that he IS a Soul. A Soul begins to exist at the moment the two components of it, which are the Spirit and the Body, are joined together. The human mind – the “I”, “Me”, “Ego”, “Self”, etc. – with its thoughts, emotions, memory, knowledge, wisdom, personality, intuition, and all other aspects of it, is properly identified with the Soul – not the Spirit – because the mind obviously did not exist apart from or prior to the existence of the Soul.

While man is a “spiritual being”, your “math” is wrong as the word “spirit” as you intended, imo, is the wrong definition. It should be Body + Air = Living Creature (Soul), in this way it describes all fish, mammals and plants as well. Man (plus all the other created creatures), at this time (before the fall) were eternal beings. The “fall” introduced death (eventually) into the world! At the point of creation, Adam hadn’t had time to develop the ““I”, “Me”, “Ego”, “Self”, etc. – with its thoughts, emotions, memory, knowledge, wisdom, personality, intuition, and all other aspects of it” to qualify as a spirit. It is wrong to take the first created man and supply him with the same characteristics that define the rest of humanity after the fall. As a created “eternal being” he was more like the angels than we are now. The “spirit” (the eternal part of us inherited since the fall, and as we know it today), came after.

Your words: "It is through FALSELY identifying these aspects of the human mind with the “Spirit” instead of the “Soul” that the distortion of the truth of the afterlife is accomplished, as revealed in # 3.
#3 AFTER - Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the Spirit shall return unto God Who gave it.” (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)

Body – Spirit = Dead Soul.

According to James 2:26 KJV, the body without the Spirit is dead. The Spirit returns to God, the Body returns to the earth. Since every aspect of our existence originated and existed solely down here and since at no time during our existence have we ever departed from the heavenly courts up there, how is it that it is claimed that "we" return to God at death? How can "we" return to a place from which we have never departed? Can "we" return to the Sun? Or to the Moon? (well, maybe if you're John Glenn or one of those guys) Then how can "we" return with the Spirit to God?

Again, the “math” equation is wrong. It should be Body – Air = Dead Living Creature. The “spirit” spoken of in James 2:26 is that “air” or breath of life” aspect of the word “spirit” NOT the eternal spirit that is our “rational and immortal” souls. Since the fall, I believe we all receive our eternal spirits (from God) upon conception, which is the main reason most Christians are against abortion. So, yes, our spirits can return to God, who gave us it in the first place.

Your words – “Again, it is through falsely identifying the human mind with the Spirit, which does indeed return to God at death, instead of properly identifying it with the Soul, which is utterly dependent on the union of the Body and the Spirit for it to exist. And since this union is broken at death, the undesired, unpopular, though unavoidable conclusion is that the Soul ceases to exist at death – aka Annihilation. Suddenly, all those verses in the Bible which point to death as a state of insensibility where there is not the existence of love, hatred, knowledge, wisdom, emotion, reasoning, and even praise and worship makes sense.”

Sorry, but there isn’t that many that speak of death as you describe except maybe for those in Ecc. which I’ve shown is an unreliable source for this topic, thus your conclusions are based on false concepts. Even if one could show that your description of death was the OT norm (which you can’t), Jesus changed everything when He defeated death at the cross!

Your words: “This is why Paul called the coming of Jesus and the resurrection He brings with Him the “Blessed Hope” and why he directs us to comfort the bereaving saints with words of that Blessed Hope, and not with words that our beloved dead are in the presence of God.”

Sorry, but resurrection (alone) is not in sight in regards to the Blessed Hope. It is the combined rapture/resurrection that is being spoken of in

Titus 2:13 – “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.”

Paul has Matt. 24:30-31 in mind here: “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”

This is echoed in Paul’s exhortation to “comfort one another” as found in 1 Thess. 4:16-18 – “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”

The Blessed Hope (rapture/resurrection) is called our “redemption” in Luke 21:25-28 – “And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.”

Now I need to clarify that this has nothing to do with the timing of the resurrection/rapture and everything to do with just the plain fact of it!

Since the fall the equation has become Body + Air + Immortal Spirit = Man, an eternal Soul/Spirit. It could be said that the eternal Soul = the eternal spirit, identified by the “ thoughts, emotions, memory, knowledge, wisdom, personality, intuition, and all other aspects of it”! (How we will be known), in my opinion.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trekson said:
Hi Phoneman, Regarding your conclusions,

#1 BEFORE - “Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 4:2-3 KJV)
Here we see that before man begins, he simply doesn't exist, plain and simple. Please discard any ideas about “pre-existing souls that God injects into the bodies of His creatures to make them alive” to the trash bin of error. It simply isn't so.

While all scripture is good for “doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness”, not all scripture contains all four. Ecc. is not the book for any kind of “sound doctrine” regarding death. While there are some things to be learned in that book, it is mostly the writings of a man “jaded” by his experiences. Written by someone who has “been there and done that” and still isn’t satisfied and is “despairing” in his later years. It is written by someone who has given up “hope” thus not a reliable source regarding the blessed hope within us.

#2 DURING - The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground (Body), and breathed into his nostrils the Breath of Life (Spirit), and man became a Living Soul. (Genesis 2:7 KJV)

Body + Spirit = Living Soul.

Here we see that man was not “given” a Soul, but that he IS a Soul. A Soul begins to exist at the moment the two components of it, which are the Spirit and the Body, are joined together. The human mind – the “I”, “Me”, “Ego”, “Self”, etc. – with its thoughts, emotions, memory, knowledge, wisdom, personality, intuition, and all other aspects of it, is properly identified with the Soul – not the Spirit – because the mind obviously did not exist apart from or prior to the existence of the Soul.

While man is a “spiritual being”, your “math” is wrong as the word “spirit” as you intended, imo, is the wrong definition. It should be Body + Air = Living Creature (Soul), in this way it describes all fish, mammals and plants as well. Man (plus all the other created creatures), at this time (before the fall) were eternal beings. The “fall” introduced death (eventually) into the world! At the point of creation, Adam hadn’t had time to develop the ““I”, “Me”, “Ego”, “Self”, etc. – with its thoughts, emotions, memory, knowledge, wisdom, personality, intuition, and all other aspects of it” to qualify as a spirit. It is wrong to take the first created man and supply him with the same characteristics that define the rest of humanity after the fall. As a created “eternal being” he was more like the angels than we are now. The “spirit” (the eternal part of us inherited since the fall, and as we know it today), came after.

Your words: "It is through FALSELY identifying these aspects of the human mind with the “Spirit” instead of the “Soul” that the distortion of the truth of the afterlife is accomplished, as revealed in # 3.
#3 AFTER - Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the Spirit shall return unto God Who gave it.” (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)

Body – Spirit = Dead Soul.

According to James 2:26 KJV, the body without the Spirit is dead. The Spirit returns to God, the Body returns to the earth. Since every aspect of our existence originated and existed solely down here and since at no time during our existence have we ever departed from the heavenly courts up there, how is it that it is claimed that "we" return to God at death? How can "we" return to a place from which we have never departed? Can "we" return to the Sun? Or to the Moon? (well, maybe if you're John Glenn or one of those guys) Then how can "we" return with the Spirit to God?

Again, the “math” equation is wrong. It should be Body – Air = Dead Living Creature. The “spirit” spoken of in James 2:26 is that “air” or breath of life” aspect of the word “spirit” NOT the eternal spirit that is our “rational and immortal” souls. Since the fall, I believe we all receive our eternal spirits (from God) upon conception, which is the main reason most Christians are against abortion. So, yes, our spirits can return to God, who gave us it in the first place.

Your words – “Again, it is through falsely identifying the human mind with the Spirit, which does indeed return to God at death, instead of properly identifying it with the Soul, which is utterly dependent on the union of the Body and the Spirit for it to exist. And since this union is broken at death, the undesired, unpopular, though unavoidable conclusion is that the Soul ceases to exist at death – aka Annihilation. Suddenly, all those verses in the Bible which point to death as a state of insensibility where there is not the existence of love, hatred, knowledge, wisdom, emotion, reasoning, and even praise and worship makes sense.”

Sorry, but there isn’t that many that speak of death as you describe except maybe for those in Ecc. which I’ve shown is an unreliable source for this topic, thus your conclusions are based on false concepts. Even if one could show that your description of death was the OT norm (which you can’t), Jesus changed everything when He defeated death at the cross!

Your words: “This is why Paul called the coming of Jesus and the resurrection He brings with Him the “Blessed Hope” and why he directs us to comfort the bereaving saints with words of that Blessed Hope, and not with words that our beloved dead are in the presence of God.”

Sorry, but resurrection (alone) is not in sight in regards to the Blessed Hope. It is the combined rapture/resurrection that is being spoken of in

Titus 2:13 – “Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.”

Paul has Matt. 24:30-31 in mind here: “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”

This is echoed in Paul’s exhortation to “comfort one another” as found in 1 Thess. 4:16-18 – “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.”

The Blessed Hope (rapture/resurrection) is called our “redemption” in Luke 21:25-28 – “And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. 27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.”

Now I need to clarify that this has nothing to do with the timing of the resurrection/rapture and everything to do with just the plain fact of it!

Since the fall the equation has become Body + Air + Immortal Spirit = Man, an eternal Soul/Spirit. It could be said that the eternal Soul = the eternal spirit, identified by the “ thoughts, emotions, memory, knowledge, wisdom, personality, intuition, and all other aspects of it”! (How we will be known), in my opinion.
Brother, your entire argument stems from a belief that some aspect of US, THE HUMAN CREATURE, is immortal and continues living after we die. The problem is that Scripture says God "only hath immortality" and we "who by patient continuance in well doing SEEK for...immortality".

I'm here to tell you today that the immortal Spirit of God that combines with the elements of the periodic table that is our body produces a "living soul", at which the separation of that immortal Spirit of God from that body renders that "living soul" a "dead soul" and all our thoughts, emotions, desires, plans, etc. perish (a truth that is found not only in Ecclesiastes, but in Job, the Psalms, Ezekiel, and others). The first lie in the Bible was in Genesis were the devil told Eve, "Thou shalt not surely die" and we have to choose to believe God or Satan..

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Our spirit is our breath. It wouldn't make sense for our "breath" to walk around in the third heaven.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
The soul sleeps in sheol upon death until it is time to be raised before judgment.

I know many believe otherwise because of the teachings of the Catholic church which still shapes even protestant views to this day, including the repeditive use of communion.

Before the greeks came into Jewish life and espoused their hades idea, the Jews believed in sheol. There was no place that souls go until they are resurrected. But thanks to the greeks, now they had hades. A place divided onto two parts. One for the blessed dead and one for the wicked dead.

But in the Greek hades there is no resurrection. It invalidates it. Only handful of people in the Greek mythology ever came back from hades, and most had to return or in the case of Persephone, could go back and forth.

These are all myths. And the inclusion of hades is an aberrant schism from scripture.

Going to heaven after death invalidates the whole of revelation and the promise of a new heaven, new earth and becoming as an angel. Why would you become glorified like an angel after death, only to lose that if someone called you back to the body to be mortal once again; constrained by death a second time?

It makes no logical sense.

When death comes we simply are placed in a state without memory, without the count of years. Until we are called.

The idea of being with God at death is appealing to Christians because they fear the silence of the grave. The enemy exploits fear and so makes it seem that resting after an arduous life in the grave is proof that all we become after death is compost. No afterlife, no resurrection.

What kind of cruel god would cause us to go be with him while we had to watch our loved ones grieve or in some cases suffer without our support? And to see then age and die as well?
To view the calamity of generations? All the while unable to help?

It would make no sense for our good God to do that. And to invalidate the whole of revelation and the resurrection.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Our spirit is our breath. It wouldn't make sense for our "breath" to walk around in the third heaven.
Yes, our spirit is our breath, the "breath of life" that God gives us to animate us when we are made alive. When God withdraws it back to Himself, whether it be of saint, sinner, or beast, that creature dies:
"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead." James 2:26

The sad thing is that the same confused Christians who think that we can exist apart from God's Breath of Life that He gathers back to Himself when we die also think that their faith can exist apart from works of obedience.

pom2014 said:
The soul sleeps in sheol upon death until it is time to be raised before judgment.

I know many believe otherwise because of the teachings of the Catholic church which still shapes even protestant views to this day, including the repeditive use of communion.

Before the greeks came into Jewish life and espoused their hades idea, the Jews believed in sheol. There was no place that souls go until they are resurrected. But thanks to the greeks, now they had hades. A place divided onto two parts. One for the blessed dead and one for the wicked dead.

But in the Greek hades there is no resurrection. It invalidates it. Only handful of people in the Greek mythology ever came back from hades, and most had to return or in the case of Persephone, could go back and forth.

These are all myths. And the inclusion of hades is an aberrant schism from scripture.

Going to heaven after death invalidates the whole of revelation and the promise of a new heaven, new earth and becoming as an angel. Why would you become glorified like an angel after death, only to lose that if someone called you back to the body to be mortal once again; constrained by death a second time?

It makes no logical sense.

When death comes we simply are placed in a state without memory, without the count of years. Until we are called.

The idea of being with God at death is appealing to Christians because they fear the silence of the grave. The enemy exploits fear and so makes it seem that resting after an arduous life in the grave is proof that all we become after death is compost. No afterlife, no resurrection.

What kind of cruel god would cause us to go be with him while we had to watch our loved ones grieve or in some cases suffer without our support? And to see then age and die as well?
To view the calamity of generations? All the while unable to help?

It would make no sense for our good God to do that. And to invalidate the whole of revelation and the resurrection.
Satan loves to portray God as possessing his own sick, sadistic nature, so he's convinced church folk to interpret Scripture to establish that death doesn't really mean what it is: a cessation of life. He's convinced church folk that death is really a continuation of life so that God can be falsely portrayed as the evil, cruel, torturous psychopath that he himself has become. When these church folk are shown the light of truth on the issue as it is in Scripture, like some hopelessly devoted but abused girlfriend, they just can't imagine life without this distorted picture of God.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
pom2014 said:
I would submit that the soul doesn't sleep in sheol, rather it sleeps in Jesus. There's a big difference there. The thing that is being raised is the body. As we see in 1 Kings 17, the soul leaves the body at death in which it sleeps in him 1 Thess 4..

1 Kings 17:21-22 KJV And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again. 22And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

1 Thess 4:14 NIV For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
And so the soul can go back into the person again. But can no way go to heaven at death.

Giving up the ghost means that the body cannot support the soul. The body is merely a container. A form of physical animation for this world.

But to go to heaven invalidates revelation, the resurrection and the goodness of God.

To sleep in Jesus, is like the safety of Abrahams bosom as Jesus remarked of Lazarus. But still the soul rests here on earth not on heaven.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
pom2014 said:
And so the soul can go back into the person again. But can no way go to heaven at death.

Giving up the ghost means that the body cannot support the soul. The body is merely a container. A form of physical animation for this world.

But to go to heaven invalidates revelation, the resurrection and the goodness of God.

To sleep in Jesus, is like the safety of Abrahams bosom as Jesus remarked of Lazarus. But still the soul rests here on earth not on heaven.
Well, since God breathed into us and gave us a spirit (life), that same breath (life) goes back to God. "Breath" doesn't have arms and legs.

I believe Abraham's bosom is a fictional place to describe a story about the demise of the priesthood. It is telling a story..

Note 1 Luke 16:19-31: Hades is only used once in the Bible as hell fire, in Luke 16:19-31. The remainder of the Bible, Hades is the grave. I would submit that in that passage Jesus is alluding to something the Pharisees would have been familiar with. The Song of Moses was a description of how Israel would turn away from Him. In the parable of Lazarus and the Rich man I believe Jesus is speaking of the priesthood and their demise. Here is the passage I believe Jesus is alluding too. Hell in this passage of Deu 32 is Sheol. Because Sheol/Hades is the grave and Gehenna is the place of fire. I think the Pharisees would see the connection between Jesus' words and the Song of Moses...

Deut 32:18-22 YLT The Rock that begat thee thou forgettest, And neglectest God who formeth thee. 19And Jehovah seeth and despiseth — For the provocation of His sons and His daughters. 20And He saith: I hide My face from them, I see what [is] their latter end; For a froward generation [are] they, Sons in whom is no stedfastness. 21They have made Me zealous by ‘no-god,’ They made Me angry by their vanities; And I make them zealous by ‘no-people,’ By a foolish nation I make them angry. 22For a fire hath been kindled in Mine anger, And it burneth unto Sheol — the lowest, And consumeth earth and its increase, And setteth on fire foundations of mountains.

Note 2: The Priesthood - I'm thinking that he used Hades instead of Gehenna or the Lake of Fire, so we would make the distinction between the priesthood in this life vs. the afterlife. If Luke used Gehenna or the Lake of Fire, then we would be certain he was referring to the afterlife, but he didn't. So we know he was simply telling a story about the demise of the priesthood and has nothing to do with the afterlife. Luke could of wrote it like this, but he didn't......

Example 1: Verse 22-23 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Gehenna, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Example 2: Verse 22-23 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In the Lake of Fire, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Let's take a look at Luke 16:19 NIV “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day.

1. Purple is a color which is used in Scripture for the following: priestly garments (Ex 39:2, 24, 29); royal apparel (Judges 8:26; Esther 8:15); and is synonymous with wealth in Rev 18:16.
2. Fine linen was used extensively in the priestly garments such as the ephod, robe, mitre, and bonnet. (Ex 39). Linen is used as a symbol of wealth in Rev 18:16.
3. Only one class in Israel was habitually clothed in purple and linen and fared sumptuously every day4 - the High Priestly class of Sadducees.

- ATP

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Gehenna is the garbage pit of Jerusalem. It burns constantly to destroy the rubbish. Burns away, nothing left.

That too is the lake of fire. For death and hell is destroyed in it.

Hades was borrowed by the greeks and is not part of the order of Melchizedek, the restored correct order with Jesus as high priest.

Hence all that Jesus said about hades and such things was made because people were familiar with it because of the Levites.

These are instructional devices to teach a lesson, milk feeding.

The meat is when Jesus speaks of the new way, new order and for us to become new creatures.

He is correcting errors given by the order of Levi. Error born of adopting unrighteous ideas and tradition for traditions sake. The order of Levi cannot give the good news, they are a tree that gives bad fruit.

This is not the way. But sadly Christians have kept that way because as The King said their old wine tastes better to them.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
pom2014 said:
Gehenna is the garbage pit of Jerusalem. It burns constantly to destroy the rubbish. Burns away, nothing left.

That too is the lake of fire. For death and hell is destroyed in it.
How do you see the lake of fire being the dump. Do you have scripture.