S. 1858 - Newborn DNA Law

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2CoolBoyzMom

Sep 12, 2007
Is anyone concerned about this bill that was signed into law recently:S. 1858: Newborn Screening Saves Lives Act of 2007A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to establish grant programs to provide for education and outreach on newborn screening and coordinated followup care once newborn screening has been conducted, to reauthorize programs under part A of title XI of such Act, and for other purposes.Sponsor: Sen. Christopher Dodd [D-CT]Cosponsors [as of 2008-05-04]Sen. Christopher Bond [R-MO]Sen. Sherrod Brown [D-OH]Sen. Maria Cantwell [D-WA]Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]Sen. Robert Casey [D-PA]Sen. Hillary Clinton [D-NY]Sen. Norm Coleman [R-MN]Sen. Susan Collins [R-ME]Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]Sen. Thomas Harkin [D-IA]Sen. Orrin Hatch [R-UT]Sen. Daniel Inouye [D-HI]Sen. Tim Johnson [D-SD]Sen. Edward Kennedy [D-MA]Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]Sen. Blanche Lincoln [D-AR]Sen. Richard Lugar [R-IN]Sen. Barbara Mikulski [D-MD]Sen. Patty Murray [D-WA]Sen. Bernard Sanders [I-VT]Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]Status: Introduced Jul 23, 2007 Scheduled for Debate Dec 5, 2007 Amendments (1 proposed) [details] Passed Senate [details] Dec 13, 2007 Passed House Apr 8, 2008 Signed by President Apr 24, 2008 This bill has become law. [Last Updated: May 3, 2008] Last Action: Apr 24, 2008: Became Public Law No: 110-204.I am unable to post a link. But discussion of the topic can be found at InfoWars and GovTrack.us. This bill is identical to H.R. 3825 (Status: Scheduled for Debate). Votes on PassageDec 13, 2007: This bill passed in the Senate by Unanimous Consent. A record of each representative's position was not kept. Apr 8, 2008: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote. A record of each representative's position was not kept. Basically, it makes DNA testing mandatory for newborns to be warehoused for genetic testing, among other things. It is supposed to go into practice within 6 months.I have had little luck in finding any national press on this topic and there is not even a record of the Senators or Representatives who voted in favor of it, although Hilary Clinton is listed as a co-sponsor. It passed both houses of Congress with wide support on both sides of the aisle and has quietly been signed into law.It makes chills go up and down my spine. I'd love to hear any thoughts or commentary.