Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tkinnie

May 15, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first of all, keep in mind that the goal is to know God - this is 'life eternal'. in order to truly know Him, you must believe Him. belief in God (belief that His promises to you are true) is faith. whatsoever is not of faith (not of believing God) is sin. so sin is merely not believing God. all the things we call 'sins' are actually the result of the one sin of not believing God in one or more ways.

Jesus, as our substitute, fulfilled ALL the requirements of the 'law' for us, on our behalf; it's not what you do plus what Jesus did, it's what you do or what Jesus did - and if you choose to justify yourself with God (to know Him) based on what you do (such as keeping whatever your understanding of the Old Testament sabbath is, one day per week), then you must keep all other points of the 'law' perfectly - without a single exception in order to know Him - this is not possible - only Jesus (God with us) was, is or ever will be able to do this while in a flesh body. once reborn, your 'sins' (results of your not believing God in some way or ways) do not separate God from you (because He sees that Jesus, your substitute, has already paid the price for the 'sins' of the WHOLE world - past, present and future), but they can separate you from God (i'm not talking about going to hell, i'm talking about temporarily loosing fellowship with Him) only because condemnation over failing to keep the whole 'law' will cause you to withdraw from God IF you base your relationship with Him on what YOU do instead of or even in addition to what JESUS did on your behalf.

as you fellowship with God, He will lead you to fulfill the law as Jesus defined it (to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind; and love your neighbor as yourself). - the obedience that we (as reborn believers) are to keep is the obedience of fellowship with God based on our substitute's (Jesus') fulfillment of the whole law on our behalf. this fellowship must be based on belief in God's integrity, and in His unconditional love for us - faith. when we doubt His Living Word to us (His revelation to us of the meaning that the written word represents gained through fellowship with Him based on His Love for us ), this is sin - and it's already 'paid for' by Jesus from God's perspective.

'sabbath' means rest - we are to rest from our independent efforts to fulfill the 'law' and focus on thought-by-thought fellowship with God. When we mess up (and we all do) we are to immediately claim the righteousness of our substitute (Jesus) when the devil attempts to condemn us to cause us to withdraw from God.

This is what Jesus meant when He said that He was 'Lord of the sabbath' - that we are to cease from our own efforts (outside of fellowship with God) to justify ourselves to God, and focus on fellowship with God based on Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf. in this way, every day is our 'sabbath'.

hope that helps! if it rings true wih the Spirit of God in you, i'll be glad to add scriptre references.

GLY!!!

THank you, that hit my heart instantly, I asked god, and in my heart you responded in a way that I could uderstand.... I'm sure others were saying what u laid out so easily for my understanding. Thanks to everyone that shared there opinion and scriptural reference, god bless you all. With love and his will, forever.

Tkinnie

May 15, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Scripture please. Where did they teach the Gentiles to keep the Sabbath?

Its in hebrews 4, actually all of hebrews is about the old/new law... But The old law is not referring to the TEN COMMANDMENDTS. Those are never going to change, I just searched the scriptures and came to this conclusion. The law that is done away with is the MOSAIC LAW, not the Commands from GOD. The mosaic law is the ordinancecs and external works that their tribe had to do in order to be in right standing with GOD.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
The sabbath in the OT is a shadow of the true sabbath, to rest from our works and do the works of the Father.

At least that's how I understand it ;)

Blessings...

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the Sabbath has continued from the day Christ rose from the tomb.

Reactions: Prentis

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
To answer the OP

We are to worship at all times in all things... That's what happens when we are in the Spirit! It's not about using your vocal cords to make some noise, it's about lifting your heart up to the Lord.

As it says, 'pray without ceasing'... Does that mean 'stay on your knees 24/7, no sleeping and eating'? :lol: I think not.

We are to worship in Spirit and truth!

I think the Sabbath has continued from the day Christ rose from the tomb.

I like that! Ever since then, we can enter his rest, all the time, any time! We need just surrender!

Dulzurra

Jun 5, 2011
what is written in the bible concerning the day to keep Holy? ECC gave you what is written in the bible.

Jesus had this written concerning the sabbath day

Ex 20

[sup]1[/sup]And God spake all these words, saying,

[sup]2[/sup]I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

[sup]3[/sup]Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

[sup]4[/sup]Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

[sup]5[/sup]Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

[sup]6[/sup]And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

[sup]7[/sup]Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

[sup]8[/sup]Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

[sup]9[/sup]Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

[sup]10[/sup]But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

[sup]11[/sup]For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

[sup]12[/sup]Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee

Jesus told us to remember that sabbath, why do we need to remember that sabbath? because people will come and change God laws.

Daniel 7:25
And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

most people on this earth keep other days holy except the 7th day which calls sabbath and we call Saturday.

Jesus said

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

do you love Jesus

if so keep his commandments

amen Brother

long after Jesus death and resurrection the apostles kept the sabbaths and taught the gentiles to do the same.

Nice points on the sabbath both Eccl.& Ozell :) .

Tkinnie

May 15, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice points on the sabbath both Eccl.& Ozell :) .

Gods 10 Commandments are eternal and will not change till heaven and earth pass.
Matthew 5:17-19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest you me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if you will enter into life, keep the Ten Commandments.

All the law hang on these two commandments.
Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

http://www.gods-10-commandments.com/catholic10commandments.html

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Its in hebrews 4, actually all of hebrews is about the old/new law... But The old law is not referring to the TEN COMMANDMENDTS. Those are never going to change, I just searched the scriptures and came to this conclusion. The law that is done away with is the MOSAIC LAW, not the Commands from GOD. The mosaic law is the ordinancecs and external works that their tribe had to do in order to be in right standing with GOD.
I see no Sabbath command in Heb 4. Christians are not under the works of the Law.

Colossians 2:16 (ESV)
[sup]16 [/sup]Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
To answer the OP

We are to worship at all times in all things... That's what happens when we are in the Spirit! It's not about using your vocal cords to make some noise, it's about lifting your heart up to the Lord.

As it says, 'pray without ceasing'... Does that mean 'stay on your knees 24/7, no sleeping and eating'? :lol: I think not.

We are to worship in Spirit and truth!

I like that! Ever since then, we can enter his rest, all the time, any time! We need just surrender!

Amen and Amen ......We can enter the Sabbath rest in Christ Jesus at any time.....My opinion on the Laws of Moses are:

They have been written in our hearts....When we submit our lives to Jesus, we do not break the Laws of Moses....We enter Sabbath rest, which is rest in Christ...The Laws were made to bring sin into light and so the people of Israel would understand the sins...when they committed the sins they resulted in death....we as believers in Christ have already died to those sins..we have entered the time of our Sabbath rest in Christ...which began on the cross...

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Amen and Amen ......We can enter the Sabbath rest in Christ Jesus at any time.....My opinion on the Laws of Moses are:

They have been written in our hearts....When we submit our lives to Jesus, we do not break the Laws of Moses....We enter Sabbath rest, which is rest in Christ...The Laws were made to bring sin into light and so the people of Israel would understand the sins...when they committed the sins they resulted in death....we as believers in Christ have already died to those sins..we have entered the time of our Sabbath rest in Christ...which began on the cross...

Yes!

We still have commandements, things to refrain from... But now we build on righteousness and are to walk in holiness! Good point to, to walk in holiness we need the work of the cross done in us!

[sup]1 Thessalonians 4:2[/sup]For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

Then goes on to say...

[sup]7[/sup]For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

The law is resumed in love... Towards God and our neighbor. Now we can actually walk in God's love and his Spirit and be led of him every step.

Dulzurra

Jun 5, 2011
Gods 10 Commandments are eternal and will not change till heaven and earth pass.
Matthew 5:17-19 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest you me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if you will enter into life, keep the Ten Commandments.

All the law hang on these two commandments.
Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

http://www.gods-10-c...mmandments.html
Amen

I agree with this too, clear verses that confirm God's laws - 10 C's are still in effect, and not obsolete they are God's Spiritual Royal law. The bible clearly exhibits Jesus did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill or magnify it to its Spiritual intent & purpose & we are to follow his instructions Mat 4:4. I assume the first & great commandment covers the first 4 C's & the 2nd covers the last six C's.
Thanks for the link, I skimmed thru it I didn't read it all but I do concur that its well documented in history that the RCC modified God's Law - changed the 7th Day Sabbath to a sunday. The 10C's are still to be obeyed, this includes keeping the 7th Day sabbath Friday sunset to Saturday sunset (No I'm not a 7th Day Adventist) I keep this day holy as commanded by the Eternal Creator.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
The 10C's are still to be obeyed, this includes keeping the 7th Day sabbath Friday sunset to Saturday sunset (No I'm not a 7th Day Adventist) I keep this day holy as commanded by the Eternal Creator.
Commanded where? Christians have a New Covenant. No Sabbath command therein.

Tkinnie

May 15, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look its realy not that hard to understand... If GOD says something its Finite, its eternal, its done. He said that his commands are FOREVER binding. He says they are to be kept throughout the generations. He didnt say well when my son comes back I will change my mind... This is a deception that we all fell under. THE works of the law are done away with. Jesus fulfilled the works of the law The law of MOSES, The mosaic law, all things in levitcus)

How does one fulfill the Ten commandments, too fulfill means to complete, so if u complete the law, then its finished, and if the law is finished, then there is no sin, because sin is the transgression of the law... So if there is no sin, then why would we need grace, better yet, if sin is gone, then why do we have the book of revelations... USE COMMON SENSE, obviously the TEN commandments apply today. IF not, that means we are free to kill steal and do whatever... And u are telling me that JEsus came to do all of this????? Use your head, let scripture interpret scripture, not man.

And Ducy did you even look at hebrews 4??? I mean hes talking about it in the very 1st verse.

[sup]1[/sup]Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

[sup]2[/sup]For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

[sup]3[/sup]For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

[sup]4[/sup]For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

[sup]5[/sup]And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

[sup]6[/sup]Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

[sup]7[/sup]Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

[sup]8[/sup]For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

[sup]9[/sup]There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

[sup]10[/sup]For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [sup]11[/sup]Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Revelation 22:14-15 “Blessed are they that do his Commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

http://www.lightsource.com/ministry/breath-of-life/20110220/

Please take the time out to watch this vid, this ENDS all arguments....
I dont need to say anymore than what god said about his law, Either u belive what god said, or u dont. Game over

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
THE works of the law are done away with.

Including the Sabbath. No Sabbath command in the NT.

Colossians 2:16 (ESV)
[sup]16 [/sup]Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

And Ducy did you even look at hebrews 4??? I mean hes talking about it in the very 1st verse.

[sup]1[/sup]
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

[sup]2[/sup]
For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

[sup]3[/sup]
For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

[sup]4[/sup]
For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

[sup]5[/sup]
And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

[sup]6[/sup]
Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

[sup]7[/sup]
Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

[sup]8[/sup]
For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

[sup]9[/sup]
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

[sup]10[/sup]
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. [sup]11[/sup]Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Which is referring to eternity. If it was saying we must keep the Sabbath then Col. 2:16 would be quite erroneous.

Revelation 22:14-15 “Blessed are they that do his Commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

http://www.lightsour...-life/20110220/

Please take the time out to watch this vid, this ENDS all arguments....

I dont need to say anymore than what god said about his law, Either u belive what god said, or u dont. Game over

Christians are not under the Sabbath commands.

Exodus 31:13-15 (ESV)
[sup]13 [/sup]“You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you. [sup]14 [/sup]You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. [sup]15 [/sup]Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death.

No thanks.

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tim Lee
The law ia a unit it can not be divided up under the law if you break one Law you break them all ..That is why man canot live under the Law it is perfect we are not .... Now what does Christ say he came to do ?

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

If Christ came to fulfil the unit, the Law then he fulfilled it all. If we steal we go to Christ for forgiveness ... If we want to rest we rest in Christ ..Sabbath means rest ...We rest in him everday.

Sabbath was a day of rest from work of the world, If our mind isnt on the world it should be in Christ no matter what day that is ...
Sabbath is a sign, between God and His people... What is the sign now of his people the fulfilled Law ... Christ . Who fulfilled that Law ...Christ

We have a personal God who judges each by what in ones heart ..Not by what day we go to church. Christ has become our rest (Sabbath)

sorry about underline it wont stop

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Tim Lee
The law ia a unit it can not be divided up under the law if you break one Law you break them all ..That is why man canot live under the Law it is perfect we are not .... Now what does Christ say he came to do ?

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or
the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

If Christ came to fulfil the unit, the Law then he fulfilled it all. If we steal we go to Christ for forgiveness ... If we want to rest we rest in Christ ..Sabbath means rest ...We rest in him everday.

Sabbath was a day of rest from work of the world, If our mind isnt on the world it should be in Christ no matter what day that is ...
Sabbath is a sign, between God and His people... What is the sign now of his people the fulfilled Law ... Christ . Who fulfilled that Law ...Christ

We have a personal God who judges each by what in ones heart ..Not by what day we go to church. Christ has become our rest (Sabbath)

sorry about underline it wont stop

You stop the underline with a " [/u]" were you want it to stop. If you are using the U feature on the forum highlite the part you want underlined and the hit the U

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
So with all this being said, the true sabbath is on a saturday?? Why don't churches follow this rule???? Will we be condemned for not doing this?

What was the point of the Sabbath? It was so Isreal could a have a day of worship. A day to remember God and his great works and his promises and to give him praise. A day to do good.

But shouldn’t Christians show they believe these things every day of their lives? Should we not remember God every day and read his word every day and praise him every day?

Is Jesus sacrifice only worth remembering one day a week?

If you want to live like the Isrealites, then you can do that. But christians should really be living as Christ lived. Every day was a sabbath for Jesus because everyday he spent time remembering God, teaching from Gods word, praising God and doing good.