sacraments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

winsome

Feb 15, 2008
Originally Posted by winsome View PostWhere have I focussed entirely on the symbol rather than what it is meant to symbolise?Here?“Baptism – water baptism – is what incorporates us into the New Covenant. It is the equivalent of circumcision under the Abramic covenant. Through baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as children of God.
(SealedEternal;51205)
The problem is that this opinion of yours is not taught in scripture. Scripture says that immersion of God's Spirit into our hearts is what brings us into the New Covenant, and frees us from our enslavement to sin, and that the ritual of washing dirt from the flesh was to prepare the way for the true immersion and bring people to repentance, but the ritual itself has nothing to do with salvation except to teach the greater truth.
I am going away for a few days and don't have time to go through the whole of your post so I think we are going to have to just disagree on this. But I would just like to go into this one bit and leave it there.You say this "opinion" is not taught in scripture. There are three things I said here regarding what happens when we are baptised:1. This is how we enter the New Covenant3. We are freed from sin.2. We are reborn as children of God1. This is how we enter the New Covenant Baptism makes us members of the Body of Christ “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism….” (Eph 4:4-5)“For in the one Spirit we were all baptised into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.” (1Cor 12;13)“Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?” (1Cor 6:15)Baptism brings us into the New Covenant. When a Gentile wished to become a Jew (& hence into the Old Covenant(s) a male underwent circumcision and a mikvah, a female a mikvah. At the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15) the requirement for (physical) circumcision was dispensed with. This left the mikvah, that is baptism.“In him also you were circumcised with a spiritual circumcision, by putting off the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ; when you were buried with him in baptism, you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.” (Col 2:11-12) This clearly links a “spiritual circumcision” with baptism, again a link from baptism to the covenant, not through physical circumcision but a spiritual one.2.We are freed from sinAt Pentecost Peter says “Repent, and be baptised every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven;” (Acts 2:38)When recalling his baptism Paul reports Ananias to him “And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptised, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.’” (Acts 22:16)“let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean [sin removed] from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water [baptism with water]”. (Heb 10:22)3. We are reborn as children of God“for in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith." (Gal 3:26)How do we become “in Christ” Paul continues“As many of you as were baptised into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.” (Gal 3:27-28) “he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit. This Spirit he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Ti 3:5-7)You see it is through baptism, “the water of rebirth” that we become heirs – by the renewal of the Holy Spirit

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
(SealedEternal;51205)
The problem is that this opinion of yours is not taught in scripture. Scripture says that immersion of God's Spirit into our hearts is what brings us into the New Covenant, and frees us from our enslavement to sin, and that the ritual of washing dirt from the flesh was to prepare the way for the true immersion and bring people to repentance, but the ritual itself has nothing to do with salvation except to teach the greater truth.Titus 3:5-7 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Hebrews 10:14-17 For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying, "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART, AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM," He then says, "AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."Romans 2:29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God. Romans 8:13-17 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. Yes, but you have the wrong "baptism". It is the baptism from Jesus with His Spirit that cleanses us from sin, while water baptism only symbolized this by washing dirt from the flesh. It is the inner sanctification that saves and not the outer cleansing. Sacraments are an invention of man to save himslf by his own religous works, but nowhere are they taught in scripture or claimed to signify inward grace. Baptism was meant to teach us an important truth about inward cleansing, but it in itself doesn't signify that it has occured. That is only signified by our fruits.It symbolizes what needs to actually happen, but performing the symbol doesn't cause it to happen. The symbol can only teach the greater truth, but can't bring it about. One is cleansed internally when they trust in Christ and walk by His Spirit, and dunking themselves in water won't accomplish anything to make it happen.You're mixing two different concepts and then confusing them into one. Rebirth takes place when God's Spirit cleanses our inner being, but water only washes the flesh to symbolize rebirth, but isn't involved in it. The water described by Jesus is in regard to the first birth which is of the flesh. The second birth of Spirit is the one that makes us children of God, and has nothing to do with water.We are, but through Spirit immersion, and not water immersion.SealedEternal
SealedEternal, I am beginning to like you a lot. IMHO you have it right.Richard
smile.gif

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
(SealedEternal;51220)
None of those verses contradict what I said, nor do they teach what you're claiming. Nowhere does it say that believing some facts saves anyone, but in fact says that through faith God's Spirit does His work in us, to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Belief is a key dynamic of salvation, but it isn't an end upon itself. It is through our faith that God's Spirit regenerates and sanctifies us, but we are not saved until He has done this which is a process.I never said that we are saved by our works either, but scripture says that we are saved by His work in us, and that we will know by our fruits that we are His children or children of the devil. When we practice righteousness and keep His commandments, scripture says we are in Him, while when we practice lawlessness we know that we are not:1 John 5:2-3 By this WE KNOW that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.1 John 5:18 We know that NO ONE who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.1 John 3:9 NO ONE who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.1 John 2:3-6 By this WE KNOW that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, IS A LIAR, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.Matthew 7:16-23 "YOU WILL KNOW them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. "So then, you will know them by their fruits. "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'1 John 3:7-10 Little children, MAKE SURE NO ONE DECEIVES YOU; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. BY THIS the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.Ephesians 5:5-8 For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. LET NO ONE DECEIVE YOU with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them; for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? DO NOT BE DECEIVED; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, NOR ADULTERERS, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.James 2:17-20 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." You believe that God is one. You do well; THE DEMONS ALSO BELIEVE, AND SHUDDER. BUT ARE YOU WILLING TO RECOGNIZE, YOU FOOLISH FELLOW, THAT FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS USELESS? Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. 2 Timothy 2:21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.SealedEternal
Well, I take back what I said. You are teaching a truth and then adding our works to it (although I am sure you will say you are not).I do not disagree that the children of God will WANT to do good. But that does not mean that they do. A careful reading of Romans 7, especially the last verse, will tell you that the flesh will always sin.Rom 7:21-8:1121 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. Free from Indwelling SinRomans 8:1-111 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. NKJVIf you believe verse 9 then you must know that every child of God is in the spirit and verse 10 is true for them.To indicate that being sinless is a result of being sanctified is to place on sinful flesh something that is not going to happen in this life and raises false hopes. Many lose faith in Jesus’ work on the cross because of these false hopes.Since I believe the scriptures above and below are true, then we are already sanctified, before God, the moment we believe, by the Holy Spirit. To put it direct, we are sanctified before God already, it is “NOT” a process.1 Cor 6:11-1311 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God. 12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them.NKJVVerse 12 and 13, IMHO, mean that he (Paul) is not going to worry about sins of the flesh and in doing so he is not brought under the power of them. He is not going to let them condemned him. It does not say that he will not do them. He has already said he “DID” do them in Romans 7.I do not believe in progressive salvation, sanctification, and progressive justification. We are made children of God the moment we believe, by God (the Holy Spirit), and we would do well to remember that what God has cleansed let no man call common.Religious Christianity interprets verse 12 above as being able to not sin. But that is a false interpretation. If you disagree, then tell me how a person can claim, on the one hand, that he will not sin any longer and then on the other hand, say that his flesh will follow the law of sin? --- Religious Christianity interprets being in the spirit as not committing sins of the flesh and not being in the spirit as being sinful in the flesh. I reject this interpretation. Being in the spirit is walking in faith, trust, and confidence in the work of Jesus (God) on the cross. If you are walking in the spirit you will not WANT to sin and those sins you commit are covered by God’s grace. If you don’t believe your sins are covered then you don’t believe in Jesus.It is not God’s purpose to make sinful flesh to be sinless.Richard
smile.gif