Salvation and growth in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

banjo71

May 9, 2011
IL
When I read the Bible, especially Romans and I John, and parts of Galations, that if we've been saved by grace, there's nothing we did to earn it, and there's nothing we can do to lose it.

Romans 8:38-39

For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Chist Jesus our Lord.

That includes the man in 1 Corinthians 5 who was having an affair with his step mother. Yes, the church as a whole released him to Satan (the forces of the world), but to break him down and convict him to return to the church and ask forgiveness, which he did so, (2 Corinthians 2:5-7) as Paul said "Forgive this man! lest he should be swallowed up in sorrow."

In Romans 8:29-30 Paul says,

For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of the Son, that he might be the first-born among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called, and whom he called, them he also justified, and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

This is saying that God foreknew who He would conform to the image of God by faith. They've been called, and God says whom He calls He justifies and glorifies in the end.
Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith. We don't know how to do it. But those born of God have been foreknown, and God knows their heart and faith toward Jesus.
This is faith, that we have confidence and assurance in our promise of eternal salvation. John says in 1 John 5:4

For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world, and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

So you see again, it's faith that saves; if we have the faith to say, "I am saved, but I may lose my salvation if I don't do this, and this..." it is good, but not complete. There is works-righteousness involved in salvation or in keeping your salvation. If it was up to me to keep my salvation, I would fail. Now, if we have the faith to cling to God's promises mentioned in the verses above, if we've been born again, we can claim the promise of eternal salvation without depending on ourselves to measure up. John said it, "Whatsoever is born of God [been saved by having faith in the finished work and ressurection of Jesus the Christ] overcomes the world. It doesn't say "may overcome the world", or "will overcome the world as long as we do our part", but simply we are left the exciting option of having faith in God's promises for us.

One last point, is that what about the people who supposedly fall away from the church? In 1 John 2:19 answers this:

They went out from us, but they were not of us: for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

So basically John is saying, if you've truly been born again, you would "no doubt have continued with us". And only each of us know in the heart whether we've been sincere to God in our need for Him and that we truly place our faith in Christ.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
"If you search for him, he will let himself be found by you; but if you leave him, he will leave you".-2 Chronicles 15:2

"When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and dies because of the iniquity which he has committed, he will die.- Ezekiel 18:26

"Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called today, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end."- Hebrews 3:12-14

"But the Holy Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons". 1 Timothy 4:1

God will not drive you to losing your salvation you decide to walk away from it. Salvation is a gift that has freely been given to all of us but we have to daily walk into it. Take upon the cross of Christ daily and living a holy and righteous life in God. It should upset you if you say your in Jesus and continue to sin willingly! Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble [you], and thereby many be defiled-- Hebrews 12:14-15 Living a holy and righteous life is the way we should live for Christ. He died for us and the least he requires us to do is live holy! Not self righteous or holier than thou which is by works but holiness in doing good works as the fruit and evidence of your faith!
God is omniscient He knows all things. So yes He does foreknow who will be saved and who will not. He knows who will accept him by faith and who will reject him by sin and unbelief.

banjo71

May 9, 2011
IL
Quote: God will not drive you to losing your salvation you decide to walk away from it. Salvation is a gift that has freely been given to all of us but we have to daily walk into it.

A person who decides to walk away totally from salvation never knew salvation. That's why he is walking away from Christ, he never knew Christ yet. He still walks in darkness because his deeds were evil. But when you know Christ, you have been born again. A born again person doesn't walk away from salvation: 1 John 2:19.

Salvation is indeed a gift freely given. You say we have to daily walk into it. I say we want to daily walk in it. "have" implies the law is at work making us feel like we have to toe the line for our salvation.

How did you become a Christian? You believed and had faith in Christ and was born again. How do you keep being a Christian? By believing and having faith in Christ. It's the main theme in Galations. "Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth?"

v2: "Did you recieve the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
v3: "Having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?"

Follow peace with all [men], and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble [you], and thereby many be defiled-- Hebrews 12:14-15

Does "fail of the grace of God" mean totally separating yourself from salvation? Or does it mean losing your way and fellowship with God, thereby causing a root of bitterness? Christ is the great Shepherd, he goes out to find the 1 from the 99 when the one is lost. Jesus restores fellowship by His atonement. God can heal bitterness.

How about Hebrews 6:4-6?

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Those who were once enlightened are not required to be Christians. All Christians are enlightened, but some people without faith in Christ are enlightened also. Example, Judas Iscariot. He tasted of the heavenly gift, was made partakers of the Holy Ghost, tasted (but didn't have faith in) the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come. It is these people who have no faith but have been visited by God and who willfully sin and crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, putting him to an open shame. Christians are sealed by the Holy Spirit who convicts them so they return to the shepherd of their soul. And they will, because they have been born again and God's promise of eternal life will not fail.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Luke 13:24 (ESV)
[sup]24 [/sup]“Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

And as Jesus clearly says in Mt 7 He will reject MANY religious folks who believe in Him. We only have one life to live. Why risk spending eternity in the everlasting fire?

banjo71

May 9, 2011
IL
Luke 13:24 (ESV)
[sup]24 [/sup]“Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

And as Jesus clearly says in Mt 7 He will reject MANY religious folks who believe in Him. We only have one life to live. Why risk spending eternity in the everlasting fire?

Whose job is it to say this or that person is acting religious rather than in spiritual humility? God's job. The narrow door is Jesus Christ - not religions or philosophies. Those religious and philosophical people will seek to enter and not be able to. The narrow way is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's good news! We should be spreading this simple, good news to others. It's of God's good delight to save us! Let's not put on a yoke of slavery again, ie the law or of sin. Let's walk in the Spirit as God has intended us to be! All those who know Christ will want to walk in the Spirit.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Luke 13:22-24 (ESV) [/b]
[sup]22 [/sup]He went on his way through towns and villages, teaching and journeying toward Jerusalem. [sup]23 [/sup]And someone said to him, “Lord, will those who are saved be few?” And he said to them, [sup]24 [/sup]“Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
I.E, wheat and tares. I believe in eternal security, for those who are striving to enter God's Kingdom.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.-Matthew 7:21

Not everyone who says that they have salvation and that Jesus is their Lord will enter the kingdom of God.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
[font="'trebuchet ms"]We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them a[/font]nd as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world. Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love. 1John 4:16-18

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
When we are in Christ we do not have to strive to enter into His Kingdom...In Christ we do not have to strive in anything..It is easy to walk in Christ...It is Freedom..It is Joyous...It is peace....With Christ, we love and with Christ we see Him in all we look at.....If we look at our fellowman....and see Christ...we can love everyone...Christ had ever sin we could ever imagine placed on Him on the cross....So if He became sin for us...I do mean everyone...Can not we see His perfect love for ALL....Don't strive to enter into His kingdom..He tore the veil so we can enter at any time we choose...The choice is ours....Walk in Him and let Him walk in you..Let Him be before you, behind you and in you....let others see Him in us and the easy road His walk is....