Sanctification is not a Process

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1 Thessalonians 4:3-4
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

If you were already completely sanctified in the past then there would be no command to obey regarding ones present sanctification and being in Gods will though your present sanctification by abstaining from sexual sins and remaining in Gods will in the present as a believer.

Think about that passage for a moment as if its the first time you have read it and forget about what you have learned and been taught about sanctification.

Allow the truth in Gods word from 1 Thess 4:3-4 to be your guide not a false prophet who mixes truth with error.

Sanctification just like Salvation has a past, present and future aspect to it.

Strong's Concordance

hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify

Original Word: ἁγιάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hagiazó
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)
Definition: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Usage: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

HELPS Word-studies

Cognate: 37 hagiázō (from 40 /hágios, "holy") – to regard as special (sacred), i.e. holy ("set apart"), sanctify. See 40 (hagios).

[37 (hagiázō) means "to make holy, consecrate, sanctify; to dedicate, separate" (Abbott-Smith).]

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 1:30
But it is due to Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, just as it is written: “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 1:2
To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

Acts 26:15-18
“ ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16 ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 17 I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

Sanctification occurs in Scripture in the past (1 Cor. 1:2; 6:19; Acts 20:32), present (Rom. 6:22; 2 Cor. 7:1), and future (Eph. 5:25-27; 1 Thess. 3:12,13). We have been sanctified, we are being sanctified and will be sanctified. The sanctifying process begins at new birth and ends in heaven.

James 3:1
Not many of you should be teachers( @Episkopos ) my brothers, knowing that we will receive greater judgment.

hope this helps !!!
Well done brother.
Just to add--

The NT (Greek) present tense A expresses ongoing (continuing) activity, brought out in translation with helping words like: constantly, over-and-over again, habitually, progressively, intermittently, continuously (uninterruptedly) etc. The context determines the precise sense.

A conveys ongoing (repeated or extended) action that is "never finished" (as indicated by the context).

Example
(John 3:16) "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in (into, 1519/eis) Him shall not perish, but constantly haveA eternal life."

This faith-believing reflects true union with Christ, enabling believers to continually experience eternal life right here and now.

Illustrating "in plain English"
"The Lord filledA Paul with His Spirit" – over-and-over, repeatedly (not just once).
"Philip servedA God's people" – constantly, ongoingly (habitually) served.

Scripture examples
(Jn 6:29) "Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work (Gk singular) of God to-the-end-that you continuously believeA into (1519/eis) Him (Gk accusative case) whom He has sent'" – uninterruptedly go on believing into-unto Him, referring to God's ongoing inbirthing of faith in surrendered believers.

(Jn 7:17) "If anyone continuously wishesA to continuously doA His will (2307/thelēma), he will know about (concerning) the teaching – whether it is of God or I speak from Myself."

The divine promise corresponds to the ongoing (continuous) desireA to obey God's preferred-will (2307/thélēma).

(Lk 5:17) "And it came about…there were some Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting there…and the power of the Lord was [there] for Him to constantly, supernaturally-heal."A

A fires up imagination to picture the repeated supernatural healings accomplished in the miraculous presence of Jesus.

In brief
The NT (Greek) present tense A expresses ongoing (continuing) activity pictured as progressing or repeating. The repetition (prolongment) most commonly refers to ongoing activity in multiple situations (and sometimes in the same situation progressively). The context determines the particular sense and both ideas can apply simultaneously.

[A flags the Greek present tense in the infinitive, subjunctive, and optative moods.]

Reflection: The Greek present tense A often portrays ongoing activity that requires the doer to "keep on keeping on," underscoring the need of enduring perseverance.

There you go--

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod