Sanctification is not a Process

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Hi Johann, experience is inline with scripture, imo/ belief...how can we be “ Birthed in the Spirit “ without experiencing it?

I will show you scripture in a mo to back it up although you may not agree with it...which is ok..I won’t/ don’t force anyone to believe what I believe.
That's OK @Ritajanice -I am always willing to learn, and be corrected-can you show me scripture references re experiences?

When I was in ministry I can testify to many, many experiences and testimonies.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
…15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery that returns you to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies withour spirit that we are God’s children. 17And if we are children, then we are heirs: heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ—if indeed we suffer with Him, so that we may also be glorified with Him.…
Excellent-now unpack this for me Rita

Rom 2:15 hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately

Rom 8:16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that

Rom 9:1 lying, my conscience testifies with me in the

συμμαρτυρέω symmartyréō; from 4862 and 3140; to testify or bear witness with:―

NASB glosses: bearing witness(1), testifies(2).
4862/syn ("with") is used to express "fellowship far closer and more intimate than expressed by 3326 (metá). This distinction is too often neglected" (J. Thayer; so also G. Winer, G. Archer, etc.).

Examples

Gal 3:9: "So then those who are of faith (4102/pístis) are blessed with (4862/sýn) Abraham, the believer" (NASB).
4862/syn ("closely identified with") conveys how NT believers walking in faith (like Abraham) share in the same identity, i.e. having nearness (intimacy) with the true covenantal-God.

M. Vincent, 4862/sýn ("with") expresses a "distinct idea from 'like' or 'as' – as in Gal 3:9 ('in fellowship with/syn Abraham'). Here believers are regarded as homogeneous (fully identified) with Abraham, and as thus sharing the blessing which began in him" (WS, 975).

Col 3:3: "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God (syn Xristō en tō theō)."
4862 (syn) does "not simply mean 'along with [the life of] Christ.' Rather, 4862 (sýn) shows that the resurrection lives of believers are intimately interconnected – in symbiosis – with the risen, heavenly life of Christ. Also it is implied that in a spiritual, real sense believers are already living 'in the company of Christ' in the heavenly realm (cf. Eph 2:6), all this being hidden from human gaze" (M. Harris, Col/Phm, in loc).

Note: In composition, 4862 (sýn) is prefixed to likewise convey "close-identity with." In Jn 9:22 for example, the prefix (4862/sýn) shows the Jews closely unified against Jesus – i.e. "agreed" (4934/syntíthemai) to oppose Him in tight corroboration.

[This pseudo "unity" was motivated by their own selfish, personal interests (note the Gk middle voice).]

In brief
4862/syn ("with") expresses "close identity (intimate connection) with." It underlines the close-linkage (tight proximity) between people, objects or events – i.e. joined in close identification.

4862 (syn) retains this same meaning when used as a prefix (i.e. "closely-identified with"). This nuance is often key to interpretation.

[4862/syn ("identified with") occurs 125 times in the NT as a "stand alone" preposition, i.e. not counting the many times it is used as a prefix.]

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (16) The Spirit itself beareth witness.—What is the nature of this concurrent testimony? It would seem to be something of this kind. The self-consciousness of the believer assures him of his sonship. The relation in which he feels that he stands to God he knows to be that of a son. But, besides this he is aware of an eternal objective cause for this feeling. That cause is the influence of the Holy Spirit.

This passage makes it clear that the Apostle, in spite of the strongly mystic tone of his language elsewhere, never confuses the human and the divine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's OK @Ritajanice -I am always willing to learn, and be corrected-can you show me scripture references re experiences?
When I became born again. which is a long story, God testified with my spirit that I am his child/ born again...it was a supernatural experience, you can’t explain it,as it’s just between God and oneself....when God speaks to your heart, it blows your mind,as I’m sure you know.

Hope I’ve explained it well enough....

God speaks with our spirit, thats how I knew I am born again, His Word is Alive.

Hebrews 4:12​

New International Version​

12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Reactions: Johann

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When I was in ministry I can testify to many, many experiences and testimonies.
Would love to read your experiences and testimonies..maybe on another thread?

I love reading others experiences and testimonies.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are a blessing-we all are a piece of clay-work in progress.
We are are indeed..Amen!
I have never shared my testimonies, not on a public forum Rita.

I can’t say I blame you, I shared mine and was accused of all sorts of things....so now, I stay very silent, unless of course, the Lord leads me to say something that will Glorify Him!!.....All Glory Goes To God,Brother, I love reading your posts, you have much knowledge from the Lord. I can also see, you study a lot....which I too must do.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Hope I’ve explained it well enough....
You have adequately explained it-and I have no reason to doubt your 2 Aorist experience Rita-don't allow others to cast doubt on the reality of your rebirth-I have witnessed many "tender reeds" being crushed on a place like this.

With the Spirit co-witnessing with your spirit-you need discernment-the ability to discern truth from error.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You have adequately explained it-and I have no reason to doubt your 2 Aorist experience Rita-don't allow others to cast doubt on the reality of your rebirth-I have witnessed many "tender reeds" being crushed on a place like this.

With the Spirit co-witnessing with your spirit-you need discernment-the ability to discern truth from error.
I was born again over 30 yrs ago, I’ve been walking in faith for all that time, growing stronger and stronger in the Lord each day...

The thing is, what God says, can never be taken away, but as you say, those who try and cause doubt, would have affected me, in my new babe days....not now....I stand on His Word....I know who I am in Christ...

Amen!..to....With the Spirit co- witnessing with your spirit- you need discernment- the ability to discern truth from error........which can and does take time.

The main thing is, I know I am Born Again......we just keep growing in “Gods Word”.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, you are too kind-call me an "Intellectual Plagiarist" Accumulative head knowledge is no good-it must reach the Lev/heart-"the eyes of our understanding being enlightened" dear Rita-that's where it really matter.
Amen!!...Brother....Amen!!....so glad I joined this forum...

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Amen!..to....With the Spirit co- witnessing with your spirit- you need discernment- the ability to discern truth from error........which can and does take time.

The main thing is, I know I am Born Again......we just keep growing in “Gods Word”.
1 Corinthians 2:14
14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12:10
10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:29
29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said.

1 Corinthians 14:33
33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

1 John 2:27
27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you.
But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

1 John 4:1
1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

-hence the Imperative to discern/distinguish between good and evil, error and truth-by/in the Holy Spirit

Amazingly, I had this experience/discernment even BEFORE I was born from above, but it was "honed" after my rebirth in Christ Jesus.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Johann, I can actually feel myself growing on this forum, I know we shouldn’t go by feelings, but, I’m sure you know what I mean, I’m growing in the Spirit, unfortunately the last forum I was on....my growth I believe was stunted...thank the Lord he led me to this place..

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
[In Scripture, it is impossible to be justified without also sharing in the gift of God's righteousness.]

Thesis: God has a specific will (preference) in each scene of our lives and imparts faith for it to (in) the surrendered believer. Each scene therefore can have equal eternal meaning in a "seamless sanctification."

a) False.

b) True. God does care about the "small decisions" of our lives (Mt 10:29,30; Lk 16:10). Indeed, the Lord has a preference about where (when) we share the Gospel (see Ac 16:6-10)!

God's will (plan) for our lives operates has two major aspects: His 1012/boulē-plan ("the Lord's immutable will which also pre-designs physical circumstances") – and the Lord offering His preferred-will in each circumstance (2307/thélēma, "God's highest offers").
This two-pronged plan shares God's limitless blessings while also ironically "narrow" because it excludes all He disapproves. We discern this works in our individual lives by hearing (obeying) His voice.

True sanctification is not us living for God but rather living with Him, in His will (2307/thélēma) as we hear Christ's rhēma-word spoken in the renewed mind (cf. Ro 12:1-3 with Ro 10:17).
The goal of life is knowing God as He speaks His mind – not us making up our own minds on how we should live for Him! Sanctification then is not a bunch of "ups-and-downs" but rather "ins-and-outs"! Believers work out the faith God works in – with God (Phil 2:13).

"We do the agreeing, but God does all the achieving; we prefer, but God performs; we must be willing, but God does all the working.

"Belonging to Christ is everything . . . the rest is details! Each true believer is part of Christ's very (mystical) body so the Christian life is simply Christ living in (through) us" (G. Archer).

Near-synonym
Righteousness (1343/dikaiosýnē) focuses on the status of the believer , i.e. growing in divine approval. Sanctification is the actual change of nature a believer experiences by knowing God's transforming power.

Loving what God loves and hating what God hates lies at the heart of righteousness (divine approval) which always results in sanctification (38/hagiasmós, "growing likeness of nature with the Lord"). Note how they parallel.

Ro 6:19: "I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to the righteousness (1343/dikaiosýnē), into (1519/eis) sanctification (38/hagiasmós)" (NASB).

Reflection: This truth is preeminently illustrated in Ps 45:7 which refers to the pre-incarnate, eternal Messiah – Jesus Christ, the second Person of the holy Trinity and poignantly also applies to us!

Ps 45:7: "You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You

With the oil of joy above Your fellows" (NASB).

We must constantly change to become like the Lord . . . who never does! God's immutable (unchanging), necessary being is the one-ane-only standard. This is an honor (not an insult) to our humanity, and enables us to enjoy ever-deepening communion with God – that impacts us and Him forever.

[Becoming what we never were, to conform to the Lord who never changes, lies at the heart of true sanctification.]

We exist to become . . . to become more of what we can be. Christ will return to glorify His saints in keeping with this. See 1 Cor 15:41,42; Phil 3:11; 1 Jn 3:2 (Gk text).

SIDEBARS
A. More on the relationship of sanctification and justification
Ro 6:19: "I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to the righteousness (1343/dikaiosýnē), into (1519/eis) sanctification (38/hagiasmós)" (NASB).

1 Cor 6:11: "And such were some of you . . . but you were washed . . . but you were sanctified (37/hagiázō) . . . but you were justified ('made righteous, divinely-approved,' 1344/dikaióō) in (1722/en) the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, even in (1722/en) the Spirit of our God."

1 Cor 1:30,31: "Moreover out from Him you are in (1722/en) Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God – together with (5037/té) righteousness (1343/dikaiosýnē) and sanctification (38/hagiosmos) – even redemption so that [it happens] just as it has been written, 'the one boasting, in the Lord he must go on boasting!"

Observations

From the initial moment of salvation (conversion), God imparts His gifts of justification (righteousness) and sanctification (holiness). Both also then progress together (as "two sides of the same coin").
It is impossible for a believer to experience justification/righteousness (change in status) without sanctification/holiness (change in nature). Both keep developing God's gift (work) simultaneously as the believer walks in faith.

Reflection: Both areas of change of the believer – i.e. their status (with righteousness) and their nature (in sanctification) – continue to develop as they grow in the Lord and are obedient to His will. Neither is static but rather dynamically develop through the Lord's ongoing, indivisible work which produces "a seamless life" of profound eternal importance.

While Christ cancelled the penalty of our sin at conversion, sin still exerts power that is more completely broken as we progressively experience 38/hagiasmós ("holiness, sanctification"). This parallels our deepening divine-approval in the faith-walk (cf. Js 2:14-26).
Each believer however should grow in sanctification which progressively frees them from the power (effects) of sin. Here the believer also develops in knowing God's approval (righteousness, Rev 19:7-9). All happens by the free grace of God.

Reflection: Believers never progress in forgiveness relating to the penalty of sin. This stands complete at conversion (cf. Jn 19:30 with 2 Cor 5:21).

Charles Wesley captured this idea in his famous hymn: "Oh for a thousand Tongues to Sing" . . . "He breaks the power (sanctification) of cancelled sin (justification)!"

In sum, sanctification is also a continuing work of God, like righteousness which begins with justification (Christ's work for us as our vicarious substitute). Righteousness (justification) and holiness (sanctification) keep developing in the believer's life on "parallel tracks" by the grace and power of God – each indivisible (yet distinct) aspects of God's work.

• Love

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Johann, I can actually feel myself growing on this forum, I know we shouldn’t go by feelings, but, I’m sure you know what I mean, I’m growing in the Spirit, unfortunately the last forum I was on....my growth I believe was stunted...thank the Lord he led me to this place..
I can see you are growing-hence the necessity to have fellowship with other believers in Christ-to live in isolation/reclusively is not a good thing-we are all members of one body, and we need each other in this race, armed with the full panoplia of the armor of YHVH.
J.

• Love

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Working it out . . .
Holiness and sanctification translate the same Greek word (38/hagiasmós) which also denotes progressive change into God's likeness in the believer's nature. In conjunction with this, justification ("being declared righteous") also deepens in relation to the believer's status of being divinely approved (with regards to their works). As the believer grows in sanctification, they automatically deepen in God's approval (righteousness, justification). Conversely, they cannot progress in God's approval without growing in sanctification.
Reflection: Unfortunately for many, salvation (conversion) is followed by stagnation – i.e. believers get sanctified . . . and then petrified! The solution is living in faith (see 4102/pístis). God constantly imparts faith to (in) people who want to be persuaded by Him (about His specific will, see 2307/thélēma).

[Our change (transformation) of nature relates to our sanctification.]

"Justification" ("justify") and "righteousness" are cognates (come from the same root (see 1343/dikaiosýnē). Hence they share the same core-idea in Greek: the change of status a believer experiences by God's grace through faith.
"Sanctification" ("sanctify") and "holiness" likewise share the same root (hag- instead of dik-) which centers in God transforming a believer's nature.

All of the above terms (cognates) parallel each other in the believer's progressive walk of faith.

For debate . . .
Thesis: The biblical view of sanctification can be summarized as "filling up our own minds with Scripture – and then making up our own minds after that."

a) True.

b) False. This reasoning protrudes the flesh (our own design) into God's work of sanctification and detracts from His glory (introduces self-government). We diminish God's plan by presuming we have the prerogative to "map out" our sanctification." Compare Ro 14:1-23 with Heb 11.

Sanctification progresses as we live in fellowship with Christ, through faith (the inworking of God's persuasion, 4102/pístis). The Lord's work of free grace enables the surrendered believer to progressively overcome the dominating influence of sin.

Thesis: As we grow in holiness, we always parallel in ever-deepening divine-approval (righteousness, God's approval).

a) False.

b) True. This reflects the "three major phases" of salvation in Scripture: "justification," which makes "sanctification" possible; which shapes our unique (upcoming) "glorification." The level of sanctification (progressive holiness) known in this life correlates to the extent of glorification at Christ's return (cf. 1 Cor 13:12, 15:41,42; cf. Phil 3:10-14 with 1 Pet 4:13).

Thesis: The believer's gift of salvation from God – with the righteousness (justification) and sanctification that go with it – can be withdrawn. That is, a believer can commit final apostasy (lose their salvation).

a) False.

b) True. God's gift of free-will to people plays a key role all the way to the end of sanctification (though it doesn't cause or produce it). A believer can vacate their relationship with the Lord, i.e. commit final apostasy (loss of salvation) by blatant and continuous disobedience.

Summary
"Righteousness (justification)" centers in knowing God's approval, i.e. the special grace-status of the believer which allows them to also progressively grow in sanctification (holiness, 38/hagiasmós). As believers advance in sanctification they grow in likeness to the Lord, in keeping with their change of nature.

The following terms are all Greek cognates (come from the same root, hagi-) and hence share the same root (basic) meaning: 40/hágios ("holy, saint"), 38/hagiasmós ("sanctification, holiness"), 37/hagiázō ("sanctify").
"Saint" comes from 40 (hágios) which is cognate with sanctification ("holiness," 38/hagiasmós). Thus every true believer is a saint ("holy one"), because each is set apart (sanctified in holiness) unto God.

A saint is a "holy (different) one" and does not refer to someone who is flawless (sinless). Compare Phil 3:12 with 1 Jn 1:5-10 and Gal 5:17.

Sanctification (holiness) describes the lifestyle of a saint ("different one") – different from living in faith through the power of God (cf. Gal 2:20). Holiness therefore is not a struggle for victory but rather operates from Christ's victory.
Reflection: Christians have the incredible privilege of being God's saints ("approved holy ones") – growing in likeness of nature with Him through faith. Here they "put God's character on display" in each episode of life – each of which He designed before creation (Ps 139:16; Eph 1:11 cf. Ps 118:24).

Sanctification (holiness) describes the lifestyle of a saint ("different one") which is different because they live in faith, through the power of God (cf. Gal 2:20). Their sanctification goes on progressing – from conversion to death – through faith ("the Lord's inbirthed persuasion," 4102/pístis).

Salvation is discussed in Scripture in all three tenses: past, present, and future. The true believer:
a. "has been saved" – experiencing "justification" and therefore saved from the penalty of sin;

b. "is being saved" ("sanctification"), i.e. gradually, ongoingly saved (rescued) from the power of sin (see the Greek present participles in 1 Cor 1:18; 2 Cor 2:15); and

c. "will be saved" forever from the previous effects of sin (on the physical body, etc.) which happens at "glorification" when Christ returns.

M. Vincent, "Sanctification is the path to glorification. Compare Heb 2:11, 10:14" (WS, 1102). Each believer will receive a unique glorified body at the Lord's return (see 1 Cor 15:35-54). See also 2 Cor 5:1-10; Phil 3:11-21).

Reflection: It is misleading in one sense to characterize people as "worms" – since each is created in God's own image and likeness (cf. Gen 1:26,27). Each always has tremendous potential for sanctification (holiness, 38/hagiasmós) because the Lord has given all people a capacity for creativity by His common grace. But only God's work causes someone to share in His holiness. God's holiness ("otherness") shows forth His pre-eminent glory. Yahweh alone is holy in Himself.

["Worm theology," popularized by the hymnody of Reformation times can be taken too far, as when it (unwittingly) denigrates the work of the Creator.]

Holy (40/hágios) literally means "set apart" (special to God) – i.e. unlike (different from) the world and becoming (more and more) like the Lord.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
For debate . . .
Thesis: Christians are "free from all conscious sin" after the crisis experience of "entire-sanctification." They can only commit "unconscious sins" after this.

a) True (J. Wesley).

b) Misleading. Sanctification (holiness) is progressive in every believer and each will always need to be delivered from some level of conscious sin (cf. 1 Jn 2:1,2).

Sanctification continually develops in the life of every yielded believer, i.e. as they keep growing in faith-obedience (cf. Ro 1:5, 16:26). This privilege includes being "filled with the Holy Spirit" – again and again (Eph 5:18). All happens by grace – a gift because the believer belongs to the Lord (is part of His body).

The Westminister Shorter Catechism (Q.35) states sanctification is,

"The work of God's free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness. Sanctification is an ongoing transformation within a maintained consecration . . . regeneration is birth; sanctification is growth . . . God's method of sanctification is neither activism (self-reliant activity) nor apathy (God-reliant passivity), but God-dependent effort (2 Cor 7:1; Phil 3:10-14; Heb 12:14)" (J. I. Packer, Concise Theology, 169,170).

The Westminster Shorter Catechism, "This sanctification is throughout in the whole man, yet imperfect in this life: there abideth still some remnants of corruption in every part, whence ariseth a continual and irreconcilable war, the flesh lusting against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh."

Why is Progressive Sanctification denied by the OP when--

Scripture examples
(Jn 6:29) "Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work (Gk singular) of God to-the-end-that you continuously believeA into (1519/eis) Him (Gk accusative case) whom He has sent'" – uninterruptedly go on believing into-unto Him, referring to God's ongoing inbirthing of faith in surrendered believers.

(Jn 7:17) "If anyone continuously wishesA to continuously doA His will (2307/thelēma), he will know about (concerning) the teaching – whether it is of God or I speak from Myself."

The divine promise corresponds to the ongoing (continuous) desireA to obey God's preferred-will (2307/thélēma).

(Lk 5:17) "And it came about…there were some Pharisees and teachers of the law sitting there…and the power of the Lord was [there] for Him to constantly, supernaturally-heal."A

A fires up imagination to picture the repeated supernatural healings accomplished in the miraculous presence of Jesus.

In brief
The NT (Greek) present tense A expresses ongoing (continuing) activity pictured as progressing or repeating. The repetition (prolongment) most commonly refers to ongoing activity in multiple situations (and sometimes in the same situation progressively). The context determines the particular sense and both ideas can apply simultaneously.

[A flags the Greek present tense in the infinitive, subjunctive, and optative moods.]

Reflection: The Greek present tense A often portrays ongoing activity that requires the doer to "keep on keeping on," underscoring the need of enduring perseverance.

J.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many have been taught that sanctification is a process. But this is a smokescreen. No one gets holier with time. Maybe just holier than thou.

The Catholics also have a smokescreen. They call it "purgatory". But it's the same scheme....only with a different approach

What is the scheme? It is a reference to a denial that we can walk with God in holiness in THIS life...by grace through faith. That is our salvation. To walk with God as Jesus walked. No one does that gradually...it's not by works. It is a gift given to all who surrender themselves fully to God.

There are two paths we can follow...according to the ways of God. These are the ancient paths to walk in.

The way of righteousness. This way is the way of humility, honesty, brokenness and the fear of the Lord. This is the low road

The way of holiness in Christ: This is the narrow way that very few will find. This is the way of resurrection life...to walk as Jesus walked. This is the high road

Now, most believers walk in neither the low road nor the high road...(neither hot nor cold) instead they try to raise themselves up through a religious process...exemplified by Babylon.

The way up is actually down. Only God translates people into the higher walk. No one attains it over time.

We are to receive with MEEKNESS the implanted word. But that's not what happens, in most cases. In most cases a person who begins well gets seduced into placing themselves in a much higher place than they ought to. Let no one esteem himself higher than he should.

All religious efforts end the same way.
Notice the OP once again has no Scripture to support his false claims so he intentionally left out the Bible. We see once again how deception operates and sounds " religious,pious" to the unlearned, those who can be deceived into believing a lie.

This is a battle for truth, it is a matter of truth that we must be in agreement with right ? Truth is not subjective its objective and Gods word is truth not our doctrines or ideas.

The word translated “sanctification” in most Bibles means “separation.” It is used in the New Testament, according to Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, of the separation of the believer from evil, and it is the result of obedience to the Word of God. Progressive sanctification is what gradually separates the people of God from the world and makes them more and more like Jesus Christ.

Sanctification differs from justification in several ways. Justification is a one-time work of God, resulting in a declaration of “not guilty” before Him because of the work of Christ on the cross. Sanctification is a process, beginning with justification and continuing throughout life. Justification is the starting point of the line that represents one’s Christian life; sanctification is the line itself.

Sanctification is a three-stage process – past, present, and future.

The first stage occurs at the beginning of our Christian lives. It is an initial moral change, a break from the power and love of sin. It is the point at which believers can count themselves “dead to sin but alive to God” (Romans 6:11). Once sanctification has begun, we are no longer under sin’s dominion (Romans 6:14). There is a reorientation of desires, and we develop a love of righteousness. Paul calls it “slavery to righteousness” (Romans 6:17-18).

The second stage of sanctification requires a lifetime to complete. As we grow in grace, we are gradually – but steadily – changing to be more like Jesus (2 Corinthians 3:18). This occurs in a process of daily spiritual renewal (Colossians 3:10). The apostle Paul himself was being sanctified even as he ministered to others. Paul claimed that he had not reached perfection, but that he “pressed on” to attain everything Christ desired for him (Philippians 3:12).

The third and final stage of sanctification occurs in the future. When believers die, their spirits go to be with Christ (2 Corinthians 5:6-8). Since nothing unclean can enter heaven (Revelation 21:27), we must be made perfect at that point. The sanctification of the whole person—body, soul, and spirit—will finally be complete when the Lord Jesus returns and we receive glorified bodies (Philippians 3:21; 1 Corinthians 15:35-49).

God’s work in sanctification involves all three members of the Trinity. God the Father is constantly at work in His children “to will and to work for His good pleasure” (Philippians 2:13). He changes our desires, making us want to please Him, and He empowers us to do so. Jesus earned our sanctification on the cross and, in essence, has become our sanctification (1 Corinthians 1:30) and the “perfecter of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2). The Holy Spirit is the primary agent of our sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 1 Peter 1:2), and He is the one who produces in us the fruit of sanctification (Galatians 5:22-23).

Our role in sanctification is both passive and active. Passively, we are to trust God to sanctify us, presenting our bodies to God (Romans 6:13; 12:1) and yielding to the Holy Spirit. “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified” (1 Thessalonians 4:3), and God will have His way.

Actively, we are responsible to choose to do what is right. “Each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable” (1 Thessalonians 4:4). This involves putting to death the “misdeeds of the body” (Romans 8:13), striving for holiness (Hebrews 12:14), fleeing immorality (1 Corinthians 6:18), cleansing ourselves from every defilement (2 Corinthians 7:1), and making every effort to supplement our faith (2 Peter 1:5-11).

Both the passive role and the active role are necessary for a healthy Christian life. To emphasize the passive role tends to lead to spiritual laziness and a neglect of spiritual discipline. The end result of this course of action is a lack of maturity. To emphasize the active role can lead to legalism, pride, and self-righteousness. The end result of this is a joyless Christian life. We must remember that we pursue holiness, but only as God empowers us to do so. The end result is a consistent, mature Christian life that faithfully reflects the nature of our holy God. John makes it clear that we will never be totally free from sin in this life (1 John 1:8-10). Thankfully, the work God has begun in us He will finish (Philippians 1:6).got?

hope this helps !!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Keturah and Johann

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Thessalonians 4:3-4
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

If you were already completely sanctified in the past then there would be no command to obey regarding ones present sanctification and being in Gods will though your present sanctification by abstaining from sexual sins and remaining in Gods will in the present as a believer.

Think about that passage for a moment as if its the first time you have read it and forget about what you have learned and been taught about sanctification.

Allow the truth in Gods word from 1 Thess 4:3-4 to be your guide not a false prophet who mixes truth with error.

Sanctification just like Salvation has a past, present and future aspect to it.

Strong's Concordance

hagiazó: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify

Original Word: ἁγιάζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hagiazó
Phonetic Spelling: (hag-ee-ad'-zo)
Definition: to make holy, consecrate, sanctify
Usage: I make holy, treat as holy, set apart as holy, sanctify, hallow, purify.

HELPS Word-studies

Cognate: 37 hagiázō (from 40 /hágios, "holy") – to regard as special (sacred), i.e. holy ("set apart"), sanctify. See 40 (hagios).

[37 (hagiázō) means "to make holy, consecrate, sanctify; to dedicate, separate" (Abbott-Smith).]

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 1:30
But it is due to Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, just as it is written: “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 1:2
To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

Acts 26:15-18
“ ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16 ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 17 I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

Sanctification occurs in Scripture in the past (1 Cor. 1:2; 6:19; Acts 20:32), present (Rom. 6:22; 2 Cor. 7:1), and future (Eph. 5:25-27; 1 Thess. 3:12,13). We have been sanctified, we are being sanctified and will be sanctified. The sanctifying process begins at new birth and ends in heaven.

James 3:1
Not many of you should be teachers( @Episkopos ) my brothers, knowing that we will receive greater judgment.

hope this helps !!!