"Selah"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
I see the word- Selah used often in Psalms, usually at the end of the prayer or passage, what does it mean?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
No one is exactly sure of its absoult meaning it can mean pause think on this or it can be a musical pause as the Psalms were often sung: Wikipeda describes the following Not that its the best source but will suffice here.Selah notes a break in the song and as such is similar in purpose to Amen in that it stresses the importance of the preceding passage. Alternatively, Selah may mean "forever", as it does in some places in the liturgy (notably the second to last blessing of the Amidah). Another interpretation claims that Selah comes from the primary Hebrew root word [calah] which means 'to hang,' and by implication to measure (weigh).that is think on wegh out what has been said.

Telerea

Apr 4, 2008
(Red_Letters88;45020)
I see the word- Selah used often in Psalms, usually at the end of the prayer or passage, what does it mean?
Can you give a specific example? Without looking at the original text, I can't help - transliterations are practically useless for me.