Should I be rebaptised?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I am a Protestant, a member of the Catholic Church of Jesus Christ. The Roman Pope has no authority over me, thus I am not part of the Roman Church.

You are a member of the Catholic Church of Jesus Christ, but you submit to the authority of the Roman Pontiff, which means you are part of the Roman Church.

Stranger
You are a Protestant - period.

I am a Catholic who is part of the American Church. I would have to live in Rome to be part of the Roman Church.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is right not the churches which practice baby baptism.

My parents didn't tell me I was baptised but they did tell me I was Christened and I even had a pretty card to prove it and I still remember the date. But when God told me to be baptised for real I obeyed him.

I am a fallible human being but that doesn't mean I am wrong about this matter. The churches are fallible, the Church leaders are fallible, the pope is fallible because they are all human. God is infallible because he is God. Are you saying that you are infallible Marymog?

Bye the way I was wondering what the mog stands for and I can only think of mother of God.
Hi Pearl,

You have YOUR interpretation of Scripture and the men of "the churches" have their interpretation of Scripture when it comes to "baby baptism". You admit you are fallible. What makes YOUR interpretation of Scripture right and theirs wrong?

I am not infallible but The Church is since The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth.....Just like Scripture says. The Church has been teaching for 2,000 years that Mary was a perpetual virgin. Your teaching has become popular over the last 500 years.

It also says that no prophecy of the scripture is of one's own interpretation which is what you have done. :(

You wonder correctly.....:rolleyes:

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ironic that you keep repeating that "men are fallible men are fallible" so maybe we are getting through to you vicariously. Now you just have to remember that false and fallible teachings of the RCC don't save.
Men are fallible....The Church isn't. Haven't you read Scripture???

Are you say YOUR teachings do save? Never mind. Why do I continue to listen to a fallible man who's beliefs are opposite of 2,000 years of teaching....:cool:

Mary

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you say YOUR teachings do save? Never mind. Why do I continue to listen to a fallible man who's beliefs are opposite of 2,000 years of teaching....:cool:

Mary
You know that is a Lie M.
Your pride & grande self-satisfaction is misplaced.
Jesus & the word of God is where we need to place all our trust & satisfaction.
It's Only the Bible that is the inerrant heavenly authority and I am pointing to the BIBLE---Period.
You know this, but you attempt to misrepresent.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You have YOUR interpretation of Scripture and the men of "the churches" have their interpretation of Scripture when it comes to "baby baptism". You admit you are fallible. What makes YOUR interpretation of Scripture right and theirs wrong?
The men of my church believe as I do; that infant 'baptism' is not true baptism.

I am not infallible but The Church is since The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth.....Just like Scripture says. The Church has been teaching for 2,000 years that Mary was a perpetual virgin. Your teaching has become popular over the last 500 years.
No Mary the Church is not infallible and the Roman Catholic church seems to be more fallible than most with it's false teachings. And any church that tells you that it is infallible should make you run a mile. And only one part of the Church teaches that Mary was a perpetual virgin. My church believes that church should be like it is described in Acts 2:42-47, the priesthood of believers and the power and gifts of the Holy Spirit. There is no hierarchy and we are all allowed to bring a word from God if he has given us something to share, we are allowed to give the bread and wine and also to baptise new members. No priests, no vicars, no bishops or cardinals, no ministers, no candles, no vestments, no rules and regulations. But as I say we are not infallible but we do seek God's presence and his guidance.

There is only one true Church Mary, and that is made up of Christians from all or any denomination or none provided they are born again. Those who are just churchgoers are not part of the church unless they meet that criteria of accepting Jesus as Saviour.

Reactions: tzcho2

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Mary
Only Jesus can save Mary. The church can't.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know that is a Lie M.
Your pride & grande self-satisfaction is misplaced.
Jesus & the word of God is where we need to place all our trust & satisfaction.
It's Only the Bible that is the inerrant heavenly authority and I am pointing to the BIBLE---Period.
You know this, but you attempt to misrepresent.
No pride here kiddo. I admit that The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth.....Just like Scripture says. You believe you are the pillar and foundation of truth soooooooo who has pride and grand self satisfaction???? (hint, it's you and the ilk that think like you)

I agree with you. :rolleyes: Jesus & the word of God is where we need to place all our trust & satisfaction.

Soooo when YOU read the word of God and YOU trust you have interpreted it correctly why do YOU think YOU are right and anyone that disagrees with YOUR interpretation is wrong?

YOU 'point to the bible'.....period.

Those men that disagree with you didn't point to the bible????o_O

Curious Mary

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No pride here kiddo. I admit that The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth.....Just like Scripture says. You believe you are the pillar and foundation of truth soooooooo who has pride and grand self satisfaction???? (hint, it's you and the ilk that think like you)
I agree with you. :rolleyes: Jesus & the word of God is where we need to place all our trust & satisfaction.
Soooo when YOU read the word of God and YOU trust you have interpreted it correctly why do YOU think YOU are right and anyone that disagrees with YOUR interpretation is wrong?
YOU 'point to the bible'.....period.
Those men that disagree with you didn't point to the bible????o_O
Curious Mary
Your posts ooze with self-pride M. You are not curious at all, but think yourself more clever & special because you belong to the RCC. That quality was first noted in Genesis.
The answer is Bible.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The men of my church believe as I do; that infant 'baptism' is not true baptism.
Then the men of your church believe opposite of Scripture and have accepted the teachings of the men of the Reformation. :(

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”. For the promise is to you and to your children....

Mary

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then the men of your church believe opposite of Scripture and have accepted the teachings of the men of the Reformation. :(

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”. For the promise is to you and to your children....

Mary
Yes if your children get born again and repent and get baptised, then the promise is for them. But God does not have grandchildren. A child can't be a Christian just because their parents are. They must make the decision to follow Jesus for themselves, repent for themselves and make the decision to be baptised for themselves and receive the Holy Spirit for themselves. It can't be done by proxy.

You have been brainwashed by this vast organisation that calls itself church. Put aside your pride Mary and choose life.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mary
No it's just the opposite of the counterfeit RCC , you aren't sad either.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a Protestant - period.

I am a Catholic who is part of the American Church. I would have to live in Rome to be part of the Roman Church.

There is no American Church. Do you submit to the Roman Pontiff?

Stranger

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is precisely my point.

For some reason - Protestant traditions going back only for the last 50-500 years are somehow "valid" - yet Catholic Apostolic Traditions going back 1500-2000 years are NOT.

How is it that an Early Church Father is to be believed when it comes to doctrinal matters that Protestants agree with such as the Eternal Security, the Trinity, Sola Fide, etc - yet they are all "LYING" when it comes to their teachings that Infant Baptism was handed down to them by the Apostles??

This is the hypocrisy I'm talking about.

Most of the people who knock the whole concept of 'tradition' simply do not realise that traditions are unavoidable. We all have them.

But it isn't a simple question of whether tradition is 'good' or 'bad'. Some traditions are good, others bad. You can't lump them all together. It isn't even a case of Protestant traditions being good and Catholic ones bad (or vice versa)!

Paul warned us of the danger of false teaching being introduced into the Church, which was a problem even during the apostolic era (Galatians 1:8,9; Acts 20:29-31). If not rejected immediately, it may take root and will in due course become “traditional” – from which point it becomes much harder to recognise and deal with. This is why even very ancient traditions may not necessarily be "handed down from the apostles". This is why Protestants believe that the Bible, not Church tradition, should be the supreme and final authority over Christian doctrine and practice. We are commanded to “test everything” (I Thessalonians 5:21) – and that must include the old and venerable as well as the new. Like the Jews in Berea, we should not accept anything we are told uncritically but check everything against the Scriptures (Acts 17:11).

When considering Christian traditions, the Church needs to be like a gardener pruning a rosebush. A lot of what we have is sound, healthy growth: even if not explicitly found in Scripture, it is derived directly from it and is compatible with it. But we need to watch out for ‘suckers’ – false teachings. If these are not recognised and cut out, their vigorous growth eventually comes to distort or even dominate the whole bush. The wise gardener will know which shoots to tend, and which to remove.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of the people who knock the whole concept of 'tradition' simply do not realise that traditions are unavoidable. We all have them.

But it isn't a simple question of whether tradition is 'good' or 'bad'. Some traditions are good, others bad. You can't lump them all together. It isn't even a case of Protestant traditions being good and Catholic ones bad (or vice versa)!

Paul warned us of the danger of false teaching being introduced into the Church, which was a problem even during the apostolic era (Galatians 1:8,9; Acts 20:29-31). If not rejected immediately, it may take root and will in due course become “traditional” – from which point it becomes much harder to recognise and deal with. This is why even very ancient traditions may not necessarily be "handed down from the apostles". This is why Protestants believe that the Bible, not Church tradition, should be the supreme and final authority over Christian doctrine and practice. We are commanded to “test everything” (I Thessalonians 5:21) – and that must include the old and venerable as well as the new. Like the Jews in Berea, we should not accept anything we are told uncritically but check everything against the Scriptures (Acts 17:11).

When considering Christian traditions, the Church needs to be like a gardener pruning a rosebush. A lot of what we have is sound, healthy growth: even if not explicitly found in Scripture, it is derived directly from it and is compatible with it. But we need to watch out for ‘suckers’ – false teachings. If these are not recognised and cut out, their vigorous growth eventually comes to distort or even dominate the whole bush. The wise gardener will know which shoots to tend, and which to remove.
Very well said, but then again, wherefrom is such a wise gardener to get his wisdom?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no American Church. Do you submit to the Roman Pontiff?

Stranger
WRONG.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops serves the American Church.
You can ask me the SAME question until the cows come home and the answer will be the same. NOT sure why you keep asking it.

I submit To Christ - but that doesn't make me a Nazarene.
I submit to my wife and she is from Los Angeles - but that doesn't make me a Los Angelino.
I submit to the Pope - but that doesn't make me a Roman.

You've used up your idiot points for the week . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Deborah -
The problem with what you just said is that it is simply not Biblical.

First of all - NOWHERE does the Bible ever state that the Bible is our sole rule of Faith or our sole Authority. As a matter of fact - the Bible repeatedly assures us that Christ's CHURCH is our Authority on earth (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 16:12-15, John 20:21-23).

When writing to the Thessalonians - Paul puts Sacred Tradition ON PAR with Scripture - just as it had been with Israel:
2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, EITHER BY an ORAL STATEMENT OR BY a LETTER from us."

Paul, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit does NOT place the written over the oral. He makes them equal partners.
in the spreading of the Gospel.

As for the Bereans - they searched the Old Testament for proof of what Paul was teaching. They who studied the Scriptures to ensure that Paul's oral teaching (Tradition) was in line with what was written, ultimately believed a truth that was NOT explicitly there:
The fact that Jesus of Nazareth is the Christ, the Messiah.

Reactions: Marymog

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops serves the American Church.
You can ask me the SAME question until the cows come home and the answer will be the same. NOT sure why you keep asking it.

I submit To Christ - but that doesn't make me a Nazarene.
I submit to my wife and she is from Los Angeles - but that doesn't make me a Los Angelino.
I submit to the Pope - but that doesn't make me a Roman.

You've used up your idiot points for the week . . .

No the Bishops serve the Roman Pontiff. They are under the authority of the Roman Pontiff. See post #(1083) again. The Bishops have rule over their churches, but they rule, they don't serve.

The Pope is the Roman Pontiff. You submit to the Roman Pope. Your orders, your obedience, is centered at Rome. Rome, is the Church. It is not the city, as I have said.

What you call the 'American Church' is just the Roman churches in America. The Church of Christ that is in America is much larger than that.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No the Bishops serve the Roman Pontiff. They are under the authority of the Roman Pontiff. See post #(1083) again. The Bishops have rule over their churches, but they rule, they don't serve.

The Pope is the Roman Pontiff. You submit to the Roman Pope. Your orders, your obedience, is centered at Rome. Rome, is the Church. It is not the city, as I have said.

What you call the 'American Church' is just the Roman churches in America. The Church of Christ that is in America is much larger than that.

Stranger
No, "Rome" isn't the Church - "Catholic" is the Church.

I belong to the Catholic Church which is monolithic.
YOU are a Protestant who belongs to one of tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering splinters. It's time to come home . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, "Rome" isn't the Church - "Catholic" is the Church.

I belong to the Catholic Church which is monolithic.
YOU are a Protestant who belongs to one of tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering splinters. It's time to come home . . .

Now why would I want to place myself under the authority of the Roman Pontiff, under the authority of the Roman Church, as you have done?

And though you submit to the Roman Rule, you play games with the word 'Roman' so as not to make it appear that you are part of the Roman Church. Just as Rome has distorted the word 'Catholic' in applying it only to themselves, so you distort the word 'Roman'.

Why would anyone want to be part of something that you try so hard not to identify with?

Stranger

Last edited: