Should only a few people be allowed to have children?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope this is not too controversial of a topic to debate, but it I would like to get insight from people who might disagree with me.

I want to say for the record that I am pro-life but do think that in some cases abortion is ok (if the baby will die immediately after birth, if it will cost the life of the mother, if the child will be severely mentally handicap). However I think that only a select few people should be allowed to have children.

While there is no way this could be enforced without violating human rights, I think there should be some way of keeping most people from having children. I do not think it is fair to bring a child into the world if they are going to be a victim of poverty, poor health, bad genetics, seriously disabled for whatever reason they will not be able to live a fulfilling life.

I know that some will argue that God commanded mankind to reproduce at the beginning of time but things are much different now and in some cases it would seem unchristian to ruin someone's life simply by bringing them into an unfair world.

In my opinion the only people who should be allowed to have children are: healthy, rich, good looking, educated, have passed a parenting test, and can assure that their child will have a good life. While none of these things do noy guarentee a good life, it is rare when average and below average people lead happy lives. I also want to point out that I know being born into money doesn't necessarily mean being successful and that being poor doesn't mean that a child won't grow up to be rich.

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hope this is not too controversial of a topic to debate, but it I would like to get insight from people who might disagree with me.

I want to say for the record that I am pro-life but do think that in some cases abortion is ok (if the baby will die immediately after birth, if it will cost the life of the mother, if the child will be severely mentally handicap). However I think that only a select few people should be allowed to have children.

While there is no way this could be enforced without violating human rights, I think there should be some way of keeping most people from having children. I do not think it is fair to bring a child into the world if they are going to be a victim of poverty, poor health, bad genetics, seriously disabled for whatever reason they will not be able to live a fulfilling life.

I know that some will argue that God commanded mankind to reproduce at the beginning of time but things are much different now and in some cases it would seem unchristian to ruin someone's life simply by bringing them into an unfair world.

In my opinion the only people who should be allowed to have children are: healthy, rich, good looking, educated, have passed a parenting test, and can assure that their child will have a good life. While none of these things do noy guarentee a good life, it is rare when average and below average people lead happy lives. I also want to point out that I know being born into money doesn't necessarily mean being successful and that being poor doesn't mean that a child won't grow up to be rich.
Focus on yourself.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you an 'elitist Christian'? Do many people think as you IYO..?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where the vast majority of children that the poor parents produce are usually the dregs of society....
There are some stellar and outstanding people that come from these "misfits" of society....

Such as the town drunk and hapless wife....they had a son (William) who people didn't think was ever going to be any different from his father. But even you will recognize his name today as Billy Graham.

God has a special penchant for the misfit, the last one chosen, the ignored, the whole life failure...
From these are the "apiru" or better known as Hebrew.

These are the heroes of our faith I hold most dear....
From Jacob the con artist to king David and ALL of his "Mighty Men" who also were the rejects....Caleb of the 12 spies and even Stephen...a reject among rejects who was martyred because absolutely no one could be bothered to stand up for him.

DL Moody is another more recent "reject" whose parents would never be given a license to have a child...

There's something special about these "rejects" that God loves immensely. He blesses them and lifts them up when appropriate. I'm going to advocate for never doing this because I am one such reject...I never would be chosen or allowed. But for whatever reason God found me...and has lifted me up over the years.
I'm sorry you don't think that I should exist...but I'm one to say that with God's providence and help I've managed to not be a heavy burden on society.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other salient point to make....

A man's worth does not consist of his possessions.

Where I understand that popularity and wealth (often going hand in hand) are what society values most....these things really don't matter to God whatsoever. And considering the lifespan of people in heaven vx those outside of heaven....might be a subject to look at more carefully.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"I know that some will argue that God commanded mankind to reproduce at the beginning of time but things are much different now and in some cases it would seem unchristian to ruin someone's life simply by bringing them into an unfair world."

When was the world a fair place?
It has always been 'unfair' after the sin of Adam and Eve.

God's hand is not shortened that He cannot save. I would argue God setup this whole world, history and all, the fall being preordained,
Christ also is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Reactions: JohnDB and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion the only people who should be allowed to have children are:
I'm glad you aren't in charge of who is and isn't born. If you had your way, I certainly would not be replying, I wouldn't exist. Isn't this more a description of your values, then what makes for a valuable life?

Much love!

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While there is no way this could be enforced without violating human rights
There's your sign that you have embraced evil (in the form of oppresive tyranny).

Your imperitive is based on the premise that someone or some group has a higher claim to your life than the individual does.

In my opinion the only people who should be allowed to have children are: healthy, rich, good looking, educated, have passed a parenting test, and can assure that their child will have a good life.
Who should decide what a sovereign person does with what is theirs? Who decides:
  1. Who is healthy enough?
  2. Who is rich enough?
  3. Who is good looking enough?
  4. Who is educated enough?
  5. What parenting test one must pass?
  6. And who can assure that their child will have a good life?
Perhaps you don't realize it but you are seeking to usurp God in the matter, who by our nature endowed each of us to individually decide for ourselves if, when and how prepared for parenting we need to be. Isn't freedom great?

• Love
Reactions: Zachariah. and APAK

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if the baby will die immediately after birth, if it will cost the life of the mother, if the child will be severely mentally handicap

You can't claim to be pro-life, but still have exemptions. You're either pro-life or you're not. There is no medical emergency that would require killing a baby to save the mother's life. I challenge you to find one. Some people don't think a person with Down's syndrome shouldn't be brought into this world. And yet, there are many people with Down's syndrome who live happy, productive lives. It's not up to us to play God.

However I think that only a select few people should be allowed to have children.

That sounds a lot like eugenics. Deciding who should have children would not end well.

I do not think it is fair to bring a child into the world if they are going to be a victim of poverty, poor health, bad genetics, seriously disabled for whatever reason they will not be able to live a fulfilling life.

All those things can be overcome to some degree, and we are more than the sum of our genes. Everyone has adversities in life, but those adversities create qualities in us that we would otherwise not develop, like perseverance, courage, determination, etc. The most fulfilling things in life are the successes we achieve in spite of the obstacles.

As you say, none of those things guarantees a good life. And what constitutes a good life is subjective in itself. Perhaps someone choosing to help the undesirables in life is to them a good life. There's certainly more to life than just the pursuit of one's own happiness. That would be a very self-centered existence.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In my opinion the only people who should be allowed to have children are: healthy, rich, good looking, educated, have passed a parenting test, and can assure that their child will have a good life.
Good old ugenics, a slightly nicer view than Hitlers.

You mention human rights. Where do these come from?
Can you specify the philosophy that says we have rights?

Reactions: Zachariah.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is no medical emergency that would require killing a baby to save the mother's life.
It is called an ' entopic pregnancy ', where the fallopian tube has spread,it and the fertilised egg has passed through the split and embedded itself in the wall of the intestines.
If the pregnancy continues the intestine wall will rupture killing both mother and child.

There are also cases where the brain does not developed, 5he baby will be born but will quickly die.
Som3 medics advocate aborting these, others propose counselling the parents, permitting the baby be born and supporting them as it dies. They can then grieve with a funeral etc.

Traveler

Dec 20, 2023
Parksvill
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You have not thought this through have you.

The call to limit population came out a long time ago so as to prevent over population. The only people that paid any attention were the Europeans with the result that the European population declined. Then the next call to go out was that the population was no longer sustainable and the nations would perish unless a whole lot of new people were imported from third world countries that were not really compatible with European culture. Now the European demographics have changed and the people who were dumb enough to listen to the first call are finding themselves being taken over by other nations that are making their new nation their own in accordance with their own culture and the locals can go jump even if they are the original population. .

This world has enough control freaks trying to control other peoples lives, don't you become another one of them .

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Supremacy and privilege? Yeah, that would work. NOT

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not thought this through have you.

The call to limit population came out a long time ago so as to prevent over population. The only people that paid any attention were the Europeans with the result that the European population declined. Then the next call to go out was that the population was no longer sustainable and the nations would perish unless a whole lot of new people were imported from third world countries that were not really compatible with European culture. Now the European demographics have changed and the people who were dumb enough to listen to the first call are finding themselves being taken over by other nations that are making their new nation their own in accordance with their own culture and the locals can go jump even if they are the original population. .

This world has enough control freaks trying to control other peoples lives, don't you become another one of them .
In truth.... a lot of what is going on at the US southern border is being influenced by the US population decline of new births.

One Dem ... and for the life of my I cannot remember his name.... was on the news discussing this overflow coming across the border and he actually said that it is needed because of lowering births in the US, and these folks will help with that.

If I had been there in person I would have had to scream at him if their side was not for the push for abortions there would be not decline here...

Reactions: Traveler

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One other salient point to make....

A man's worth does not consist of his possessions.

Where I understand that popularity and wealth (often going hand in hand) are what society values most....these things really don't matter to God whatsoever. And considering the lifespan of people in heaven vx those outside of heaven....might be a subject to look at more carefully.

There's something familiar to how you talk. Rings a bell for me. Are you a Chef by chance?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Should only a few people be allowed to have children?​

This is the question at the start of this thread. And while I agree that some people are not fit to be parents, to prevent couples having children would be totally against their human rights. How would it be implemented for a start - you can't ban people from having sex. You can't give them treatment or ops to make them sterile. China used to stop people from having more than one child which I think led to a lot of abandoned babies or worse.

God does not make mistakes. All children born into this world are wanted by God even though it often looks like he's given them to the wrong people.

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's something familiar to how you talk. Rings a bell for me. Are you a Chef by chance?
Whatcha mean?
I know how to fry an egg...I swapped with the guy who had the recipe for boiled water.

I've had the exact same avatar name across several forums...

But probably many people would give me the title of chef. Last night we has one of the assistant pastors over for dinner. We had a pork loin roulade stuffed with ginger and apples served with a caramel sauce, gratin potatoes, sautéed asparagus, sourdough bread, and chocolate mousse tarts with strawberries for dessert.....
Then in a couple of weeks I have to give a demo for the 55+ luncheon on how to make chocolate bon bons....tempering chocolate and how to make the centers.

So maybe.....

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatcha mean?
I know how to fry an egg...I swapped with the guy who had the recipe for boiled water.

I've had the exact same avatar name across several forums...

But probably many people would give me the title of chef. Last night we has one of the assistant pastors over for dinner. We had a pork loin roulade stuffed with ginger and apples served with a caramel sauce, gratin potatoes, sautéed asparagus, sourdough bread, and chocolate mousse tarts with strawberries for dessert.....
Then in a couple of weeks I have to give a demo for the 55+ luncheon on how to make chocolate bon bons....tempering chocolate and how to make the centers.

So maybe.....

You're him. I remember you from a different forum. My scren name is different but your is exactly the same! I can fry an Egg too! But I can't make all that stuff you said you made so I'll take that as a chef! It looks like a Chef's menu, lol!

Howdy John!

• Haha
Reactions: JohnDB

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are also cases where the brain does not developed, 5he baby will be born but will quickly die.

And it still wouldn't require an abortion.

It is called an ' entopic pregnancy ', where the fallopian tube has spread,it and the fertilised egg has passed through the split and embedded itself in the wall of the intestines.
If the pregnancy continues the intestine wall will rupture killing both mother and child.

An ectopic pregnancy is akin to a misscarriage. They are not viable for life and have no chance of being born.