Should we forgive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a question eh my friends? Of course we should forgive. But what of those who minister? Can they be trusted to be faithful? Can we then be trusted after we have sinned and failed God? We believe so we don't we?

Should ministers, pastors, evangelists and others who stand as leaders be allowed to continue their offices after severe failures in sinning? Can they be trusted? What does God want to do in these cases?

Galatians 6:1 KJVS
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Jude 1:22-23 KJVS
And of some have compassion, making a difference: [23] And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

There is no question about forgiving we must do so. Verses on forgiveness are directed toward those who have been directly affected or sinned against by another. What about acceptance of office holders who have defiled their garments by sinning against the Lord and His church. Ones who not only did some vile thing once and allegedly repented but ones who then again returned to the evil of a sin. After vowing they'd repented and turned away from their sinful deeds they again failed going back to the error of their ways. Can they be trusted?

Should they be permitted to remain holding the spiritual office they've had?

I am well aware that the gifts and calling of God are without recall. A person may continue practicing the gifts of the spirit even after sinning to the extreme. So many evangelists have been heavy drinkers, alcoholics yet continue to preach because of the utter faithfulness of God. Even in the midst of their sin God will still work through them such is His fidelity.

One such case is the well known evangelist Jimmy Swaggert. He was found not once but at least twice with prostitutes. Certainly we may deduct that there were more instances when he was not caught or found out. To my knowledge Mr Swaggert never really seemed broken over these events but rather seemed to put forth a bold face. No matter how severe the battle God expects us to overcome and persevere does He not? 1John 1:9 is always there for us but ONLY if our repentance is genuine. We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God. The sins we commit AFTER being saved are the most devastating to me.

Every man's sin is between him and God it's true but when it affects or could affect many many others should they be allowed to continue practicing the duties of their spiritually called office?

Of course no one can physically force them to cease preaching, teaching or evangelizing. Jim Bakker is another such case.

These are well known names but there are multitudes of others where ministers have sinned and felt the necessity to resign their office. How many ministers that practice some sin or sins and yet are continuing in their office because they have not been found out the Lord alone knows. Even though God may continue to work through a sinning minister there must needs be a diminishing in the depth of God's anointing. Amen

I believe that the Christian that is walking closely with God will be able to discern the lack of anointing and so turn away from the deceiver. Certainly we must forgive if repentance has been professed but I don't believe that the Holy Spirit demands that we continue to follow after such a one and sit at their feet as they teach. A lack of confidence has been planted that will nigh be impossible for them to overcome.

There are very few TV preachers I will listen to. Many are not spirit filled and have only dry lifeless lectures. Others are deep in the prosperity cult or so called word of faith. There are others though that have some unnamed abberation in their ministry or spirit that will not allow me to listen to them. I will name no names here but perhaps you have had the same uncertainty about certain ones.

It must be a choice for each one of us as to whether we can continue to follow a minister after true evidence or confession of failures in sin is known. This is a troubling circumstance to me because I know in my own life I have failed God in many ways and it breaks my heart to have grieved the Holy Spirit. Yet I believe that His grace is sufficient for me and that I have received His incomprehensible forgiveness yet once again.

Can you or I be trusted since we too have sinned and fallen short of His calling after being saved? Certainly we can, we must be so that we continue to believe in the grace of God.

We can only follow another as they follow Christ. Does our sin that we have repented of mean we are no longer following Him? Of course not. Repentance meaning not only sorrow for our sin but turning around and fleeing from it.

I won't hold a minister's sins against them its just that I wonder how God sees these things. Perhaps some others wonder too. Once our confidence is shaken in a man or woman it's a prayerful decision as to whether to again follow them.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should ministers, pastors, evangelists and others who stand as leaders be allowed to continue their offices after severe failures in sinning? Can they be trusted? What does God want to do in these cases?

Good morning, Frank. I think the primary text on this is actually the account of David's life, after he was exposed by the prophet for killing another man to cover up his sins with the man's wife. Did he somehow get away with this? Not when he had to watch his son die. But did God forsake him as a leader? No. The anointing and calling of God was still on David's life, and when many Israelites denounced him it proved to be a tragic mistake. David paid his price, but he did not lose his calling, and he was eventually vindicated against those who wished to have him removed. Same goes with any man or woman truly called into the ministry who blows it, especially sexually. Leaders in general tend to have stronger sexual appetites, and it's not all that unusual that they end up getting into some trouble in this area. Not getting into trouble is actually more of a rarity.
There are very few TV preachers I will listen to. Many are not spirit filled and have only dry lifeless lectures. Others are deep in the prosperity cult or so called word of faith. There are others though that have some unnamed abberation in their ministry or spirit that will not allow me to listen to them. I will name no names here but perhaps you have had the same uncertainty about certain ones.

I don't listen to anyone, and I mean at all. I will occasionally flip through the Christian channels, but it only takes me about 10 seconds on each preacher before I am bored. That's not to say that they shouldn't be on, or are not ministering to someone. It just means I've come to a place in my spiritual walk where it's a blue moon when someone actually teaches something I don't already know or have long since rejected. I do however occasionally receive ministry and insights from more educated online sources, as well as some online friendships I have developed, so there are always saints out there whom you can find who are a blessing, no matter where you are in your walk with Christ.
I won't hold a minister's sins against them its just that I wonder how God sees these things. Perhaps some others wonder too. Once our confidence is shaken in a man or woman it's a prayerful decision as to whether to again follow them.

Let me say one more thing about this. I honestly wouldn't care about a man's sins if he had the humility to consistently be a true vessel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Would he need to deal with his sins at some point? Yes. But I hold no man (or woman) as trustworthy. No one. We are fleshly vessels, and every one of us will fail if the temptations are strong enough. ONLY CHRIST can be truly trusted. So my policy is to look for Christ in others, and look passed human frailties and weaknesses. My confidence is never shaken in men because I never place any confidence in them to begin with, nor in myself. My confidence is in that the Lord is capable of manifesting Himself in and through any one of us at any time, if we will only allow ourselves to be used of Him.

God bless, and I hope you get some good reactions to this thread.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men are so so falable. Those ministers, indeed who sin agsinst one actually sin against all.

Job 35:8 KJVS
Thy wickedness may hurt a man as thou art ; and thy righteousness may profit the son of man.

Hebrews 12:1 KJVS
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us , and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Reading between the lines of "so easily besets us" says much. My main help is looking at my own life as a Christian with my own set of failures and how God yet found grace for me. Failure to see God's forgiveness for others while rejoicing in that grace yourself is a great common fault of the spiritually blind.

It us all summed up by;

Psalm 130:3-4 KJVS
If thou, Lord , shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
[4] But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

We must forgive if we are sinned against even if there is no repentance on the other's part. Jesus forgave His murderers while they yet rejoiced in the evil they had done. We relieve ourselves of much anguish through forgiveness. We cannot make another do righteously.

Last edited:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, forgive them...send them off to where Ted (Haggart) went for a pastor's retreat.
(ps I love that Ted)

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The real question is... when leaders refuse correction or even refuse to ask for forgiveness or claim he has done nothing wrong to be forgiven for.

I'm not sure how a church or any believer in that church can walk in the light if the leader isn't. I'm not sure it is showing Christ's love for the unrepentant leader to ignore or overlook or forgive his transgression when he hasn't asked for it nor repented of it.

Like any unrepentant member of the congregation, he should be excommunicated until he does repent & ask for forgiveness. Then he can resume as a leader unless of course, someone has taken his spot. More than likely, he would never repent when he can just go to lead another church.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If someone in leadership sturrs up a controversy at a church they can become a big destraction. For the sake of their congregation they should voluntarily step down. This shows good character.

Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone in leadership sturrs up a controversy at a church they can become a big destraction. For the sake of their congregation they should voluntarily step down. This shows good character.

Can you give an example or two? Has that ever happened that you know of outside of the example(s) you come up with?

Most congregations just follow the leader and thus the crowd. They did that towards the apostate "holy laughter" movement and the "Promise Keepers' movement in 1994 when both were sweeping the nation across the denominational divide where at one point, the 2 movements joined at the PK convention in St. Louis, Missouri.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Can you give an example or two? Has that ever happened that you know of outside of the example(s) you come up with?

Most congregations just follow the leader and thus the crowd. They did that towards the apostate "holy laughter" movement and the "Promise Keepers' movement in 1994 when both were sweeping the nation across the denominational divide where at one point, the 2 movements joined at the PK convention in St. Louis, Missouri.

It happened at my church. No, it doesn't usually happen, guess I have high standards.

Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It happened at my church. No, it doesn't usually happen, guess I have high standards.

Or you can thank the Lord Jesus Christ in being that church's Good Shepherd for that.

Church members often forget that they are part of the body and part of the ministry that God will minister through, but in these latter days, pastors have become the whole church in ministry. That is not good. Discipleship must be lacking if the church has only the pastor representing Jesus Christ of their church being a light in the community they live in.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of these posts sound as though we actually think "forgiveness" means we are doing something for THEM.

We are doing something for them. But we do not do it if as some self righteous condescending act.

When I've been told by others that I am forgiven for something it removes a great burden. I pray that when I forgive another for a thing that they are renewed in their faith.

Once the Lord said to me son your sins are forgiven, walk in newness of life.

When we forgive another it should provoke them to do justly. When another forgives me it makes me want to do better.

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some of these posts sound as though we actually think "forgiveness" means we are doing something for THEM.
Dear Brother Willie T, If I'm reading you correctly, it is not the other that is benefactor to God's love that never fails regardless of me and my prayers, it is me reaping the joy of God's salvation to my own life.

Conscience, pent up hatred no matter the size, and/or duration of it to our lives curbs the peace we can have in Christ. I've been around quite awhile on different forums and have posted this before when I think it applicable, but having known your love of God for long enough, this following scenarion is for others needing to examine themselves.

"There was the supposedly true story of a man that hated another person in the church he attended so much, he would cross the street to avoid coming face to face with them. Let’s call him larry2.

The hatred grew worse to the point of wanting to quit attending the assembly, and he finally talked to the pastor about it. The pastor told him that he knew how to fix it, but that he knew the man asking wouldn’t do it.

Oh yes I will pastor, I will do anything to get rid of this hate. No you wouldn’t - Yes I will. Okay I want you to go home tonight and pray for larry2 for God to bless him before you go to sleep, and then first thing in the morning you do the same every day, and continue that for two weeks.

I will not do that
clip_image001.gif
! I knew you wouldn’t
clip_image002.gif
. Well I promised I would, and I will
clip_image003.gif
. (avatar faces inserted for effect, and I don’t know if I’m telling it right).

That night: God please bless larry2; ….. …..God You know I don’t mean that, I hate that guy, and he goes to bed mad. The next morning was more of the same, but as the days went by the hardness in him began to soften, the prayers became longer, and the hurt he felt became less.

By the end of the two weeks, he again went to his pastor with a smile on his face and said, you were right pastor, I want larry2 blessed more than anyone I know, and the hate is gone.

I liked the story, because it helped me to understand some of what Jesus prayed for us, even though we didn’t deserve it either."

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What a question eh my friends? Of course we should forgive. But what of those who minister? Can they be trusted to be faithful? Can we then be trusted after we have sinned and failed God? We believe so we don't we?

There is no of course about it.

Before we forgive there has to be repentance and anyone can make a show of being sorry, crying etc any minister/teacher who has fallen from grace needs to discuss with other leaders how they will be accountable to them if they are to continue serving God.

The more important the person, the greater their responcibility to clearly live and the greater the need for accountability.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must forgive no question. But losing confidence in another is a sad sdate of affairs. We can forgive another yet no longer be able to crept their teachings.

Their is a popular minister of the so called word of faith/prosperity group. I listened to a message by him that was berating those who were greivling, weeping for loved ones that were taken in death. Parents grieving for children that were killed in some way.

Being the father of a fifteen year old daughter in daughter that was killed due to the actions of a drinking driver.I was angered by what this person was advocating. Since the ones that were taken died in the Lord there was no need to grieve since there would be a reunion in heaven. He was astounded that these were grieving the death of their family.

The Bible says to rejoice with those that rejoice and weep with those that weep... Not to criticize them for being heart broken.

I forgive this hard hearted man but will not listen to him at all. He is now seeking the funds to buy a 50 million plus dollar jet plane to fly around in.

Once my neighbor's sneaky dog crept up on me and sunk his teeth into my calf causing pain and shock at the unexpected attack. I don't hate the dog but know it cannot be trusted. Can I trust a man that tells me greiving is a waste of time? Not undue grief but that which is natural to man.

Ezekiel 34:4-12 KJVS
The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them. [5] And they were scattered, because there is no shepherd: and they became meat to all the beasts of the field, when they were scattered. [6] My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and upon every high hill: yea, my flock was scattered upon all the face of the earth, and none did search or seek after them . [7] Therefore, ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord ; [8] As I live, saith the Lord God , surely because my flock became a prey, and my flock became meat to every beast of the field, because there was no shepherd, neither did my shepherds search for my flock, but the shepherds fed themselves, and fed not my flock; [9] Therefore, O ye shepherds, hear the word of the Lord ; [10] Thus saith the Lord God ; Behold, I am against the shepherds; and I will require my flock at their hand, and cause them to cease from feeding the flock; neither shall the shepherds feed themselves any more; for I will deliver my flock from their mouth, that they may not be meat for them. [11] For thus saith the Lord God ; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out. [12] As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.

Jesus forgave even though His executioners did not repent. Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

Luke 23:34 KJVS
Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

To be saved we must repent so I've wondered about this event. Since repentance is prerequisite for forgiveness from God these men had to be convicted of sin and come to real repentance.

Since they did not know that they were sinning Jesus made the prayer for their forgiveness. How can you put someone to death and not know it's wrong I wonder.

We must sincerely cry out to God for forgiveness when He places His heavy conviction upon us.

My conviction/repentance experience went on for weeks even though I was saved as soon as I cried out for His forgiveness. Amen

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We must forgive no question

God only forgives those who have repented, yet you say we should forgive those who hurt us and are not repentant.

Jesus forgave even though His executioners did not repent. Father forgive them for they know not what they do
No Jesus is asking his Father to show mercy to his murders, he cannot forgive those who are not sorry.
Jesus is our example, when hurt and the offender cannot or will not say sorry, then we have to hand them over to our Father to deal with.

Reactions: Frank Lee

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning pastors and leaders who have fallen into sin such as adultry in the Church, they can certainly be forgiven. But it can't be ignored. If they seek repentance they can be allowed to remain in the Church, but they cannot hold any leadership position. Such a position offers them too much temptation in an area where they have proved they have a weakness.

Stranger