Should we forgive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, You must repent to be forgiven.
Not really. The entire world was already forgiven at the cross before doing a thing (listen to what Jesus asked His Father to do at that very moment of His murder)… but we have to "repent" (change our minds about what will save us) in order to be willing to accept that forgiveness.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, You must repent to be forgiven.
Good morning Brother Frank Lee. What are we to repent of; the way we thought as law keepers to get to heaven if we were Jews? and then the young ruler was told after supposedly keeping all the law was told to sell all he had, and follow Jesus. Lk 18:22.

it is my understanding that baptism had no cleansing power, but was basically a proclamation to Israel they now believed on Jesus as it were.
Mar 11:30 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men? answer me.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 King James Version (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The word repent is found 60 times in the new testament. It is step one in being saved.

Matthew 4:17 KJVS
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

1. Repent... Be saved
2. Be baptized
3. Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

Steps 2 & 3 order may swap.

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 4:17 KJVS
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

1. Repent... Be saved
2. Be baptized
3. Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit
Brother Frank Lee, isn’t this in effect saying for the Jews to quit believing in works of the law for their salvation, and believe on the Lord Jesus? In other words there is none that doeth good, and all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I do not know your thinking of context doctrine on the following scripture of Romans Chapters nine, ten, and eleven, but they are addressed mainly to Israel in the past in chapter nine, Israel today in Chapter Ten, and Israel future in chapter eleven.

What does Rom 10:9-10 say to the Jew for today? 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Where is baptism mentioned here as necessary for salvation? Same people, different circumstance?

One more example if you will allow me.

Unless someone is saved, they cannot receive the Holy Spirit according to Joh 14:17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, . .

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? (Didn’t they already have to be saved to receive the Holy Ghost?)

Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Thanks and blessings in Christ Jesus.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Forgiveness is not an option to the blood washed Christian.
We have no choice we are commanded to by Him who forgave all.

Yet forgiveness is a choice of the heart. I have never found that it comes easily but through deep dealings.

In one case it took me months.
Through gritted teeth I used to hold this one person in my heart before the Lord and say- " I am blessing this person who has cause pain and sadness in so many lives, I forgive him in Your name, because I can't yet forgive him in mine. "
This man was a dead weight on my back for months, because I knew I was closer to hate than forgiveness regarding him. Where ever I went and whatever I did I carried him on my back...he came with me.

In time I knew I could "love him in the Lord."
The test came on Sunday, it was preservice and a person came up to me and whispered... " So and so and his wife is outside, coming into the service."

My stomach was in knots, my teeth gritted knowing that we would be eye to eye.
After the service I went up to them...and everything melted away. I could finally see that this man had just never seen the true heart of God. He was a legalistic law man who had crushed so many people under law. Yet I saw suddenly saw his nakedness ...he knew no better.....he was bankrupt in the Spirit. ( we remained friends until he died) God did this, but He made me willing to desire and do it.

The one who is greater blessed is ourselves ...unforgiveness is a prison of the Enemy to bind us.

Yes we must always always forgive or we will rot on the inside.
As someone wiser than I said- " It is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to fall down dead."

Yes we always forgive...but if we are 'as harmless as doves'...we do not forget.
We are always on guard against that same old evil spirit.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Where does it say in the bible that God forgives anyone who does not repent?
Where does it say that we should do more than what God does?

Yes we should, like Jesus, commend our enemies etc to God.
Yes we should be ready to forgive and must forgive if they say sorry.
Yes we should tell a person that they have hurt us.
But if they do not say sorry we do not have to forgive them.