Should we judge?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That depends on what kind of judging and your heart. There are at least 3 different Greek words for the different concepts of judging.

Luke 6:

37 “Do not judge [G2919], and you will not be judged. Do not condemn [G2613], and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
G2919 (judge, κρίνω, krinó) occurs 115 times.
G2613 (condemn, καταδικάζω, katadikazo) occurs only 6 times.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

STRONGS NT 2613
to give judgment against (one), to pronounce guilty; to condemn; in classical Greek (where it differs from κρίνειν in giving prominence to the formal and official as distinguished from the inward and logical judging
G2613-condemn is a formal and official kind of judging. G2919-judge is an inward and logical kind of judging.

Jesus is telling us: Do not formally pronounce condemnation on someone and do not even judge someone to be guilty by your inward logic. Leave that to God. You can warn people but don't be judgmental.

G2919-judge is ambiguous. There is a sense that as a group, we do judge. Paul used this sense in 1 Corinthians 6:

1 When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? 2Or do you not know that the saints will judge [G2919] the world?
i.e., collective judgment according to Christ

And if the world is to be judged [G2919] by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we are to judge [G2919] angels?
i.e., collective judgment

How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life!
Now, concerning lawsuits among believers:

4 So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church? 5 I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers, 6but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers? 7To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded? 8But you yourselves wrong and defraud—even your own brothers!
Believers should resolve conflicts among ourselves. In this sense, we G2919-judge.

Jesus also says that it is okay to G2919-judge with the condition in John 7:

24 Stop judging [G2919] by mere appearances, but instead judge [G2919] correctly.
There is yet another Greek word for judging, 1 Corinthians 2:

15 The spiritual person judges [G350] all things, but is himself to be judged [G350] by no one.
G350 (judge, ἀνακρίνω, anakrinó) occurs 16 times.

HELPS Word-studies:

350 anakrínō (from 303 /aná, "up, completing a process," which intensifies 2919 /krínō, "to select by separating/judging") – properly, to distinguish by vigorously judging "down to up," i.e. closely examining (investigating) through "the process of careful study, evaluation and judgment" (L & N, 1, 27.44); "to examine, investigate, question (so J. B. Lightfoot, Notes, 181f).
In summary, do not condemn specific individuals. Don't be judgmental. When you do judge, judge as a mature spiritual believer carefully.

See also Who will do the judging/condemning in the end?.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In summary, do not condemn specific individuals. Don't be judgmental. When you do judge, judge as a mature spiritual believer carefully.
As individuals yes we should not co demand, but church leaders have the right and the responsibility to judge and if necessary forbid an individual from attending church or holding office in a church.

As you say they church leaders, and us have to make right judgements, not based on our prejudices or traditional behaviours.

A thought experiment:-
A young man appears in your church, is welcomed, he appears the following week and is keen to attend and be involved in the church.
He told you on that first time he became a christian several years ago in prison ( robbery etc ) and was released the week before.
How do you handle that information?
How do you relate to him, he needs work, accommodation, fellowship, friendship, guidance in Christian living etc

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Should we judge?​

try driving on the wrong side of the road!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That depends on what kind of judging and your heart. There are at least 3 different Greek words for the different concepts of judging.

Luke 6:

G2919 (judge, κρίνω, krinó) occurs 115 times.
G2613 (condemn, καταδικάζω, katadikazo) occurs only 6 times.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

G2613-condemn is a formal and official kind of judging. G2919-judge is an inward and logical kind of judging.

Jesus is telling us: Do not formally pronounce condemnation on someone and do not even judge someone to be guilty by your inward logic. Leave that to God. You can warn people but don't be judgmental.

G2919-judge is ambiguous. There is a sense that as a group, we do judge. Paul used this sense in 1 Corinthians 6:

i.e., collective judgment according to Christ

i.e., collective judgment

Now, concerning lawsuits among believers:

Believers should resolve conflicts among ourselves. In this sense, we G2919-judge.

Jesus also says that it is okay to G2919-judge with the condition in John 7:

There is yet another Greek word for judging, 1 Corinthians 2:

G350 (judge, ἀνακρίνω, anakrinó) occurs 16 times.

HELPS Word-studies:

See also Who will do the judging/condemning in the end?.
God said that if we judge, we will be judged, if I remember correctly. Sometimes we have no choice but to judge. A murderer can't be allowed to roam the streets. Still, it is best not to judge when judgment isn't necessary, I don't believe.