Sinning Without Realizing It

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
We are all sinners and most of us can't go two minutes without sinning in one form or another. Most sins, especially the big ones we are aware of and can confess them to God, but what if we commit sins without knowing we have sinned or forget about some of the little sins we have done. When we pray for forgiveness we miss things out. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians that if we review the Lord's supper without examining ourselves first then we sin against christ's body and blood, so even when we examine ourselves and miss things out we are still doing this. So what I want to know is, does God overlook the things we have, is he angry that we have not fessed up and does he punish us for these sins.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are all sinners and most of us can't go two minutes without sinning in one form or another. Most sins, especially the big ones we are aware of and can confess them to God, but what if we commit sins without knowing we have sinned or forget about some of the little sins we have done. When we pray for forgiveness we miss things out. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians that if we review the Lord's supper without examining ourselves first then we sin against christ's body and blood, so even when we examine ourselves and miss things out we are still doing this. So what I want to know is, does God overlook the things we have, is he angry that we have not fessed up and does he punish us for these sins.

Oh you may get mad at me for saying this -hopefully you won't and may just disagree -either way I can handle it...
If I may be so bold - I'm thinking many are way too involved with thoughts of sin and sinning and punishment and God's anger.
Maybe that's just me.

Mother Theresa I think it was said something like - You don't stop war by
protesting war - you stop war by practicing peace.

I say enough with people obsessing about sin (I know people are turning the channel at this point...) and obsess
about delighting in the Lord and building your treasures in Heaven.
Be happy, enjoy already.
Jesus didn't die for us to be obsessing about sinning. But to save us and to have an abundant life - filled with success on every level.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Well as you can probably see from my post I'm in a bit of a dark palce at the moment regarding sin and I do feel troubled and frustrated by it. That's why I like the idea of Purgatory so much because it means that sinner who believes in Christ will notperish and makes sense when we see in revelations that nothjkng impure can enter the New Jerusalem. What you said Miss Hepburn is what I wanted to hear because it is encouraging and really I don't want doom and gloom. I just get a bit ovewhelmed sometimes with just how hard the Christian life really is in the modern age, but I suppose it wasn't much easier in the middle ages or in the early days either.

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
Jesus paid the price to reconcile us to God, and when we are saved we are given the Holy Spirit as a "down payment guarantee". We are guaranteed eternal life by that divine deposit! The only thing we can lose from unrepented committed sins is rewards, not eternal salvation. But I agree also that the focus of the Christian life is not on sin but on our Savior, who will not disown us on the occasion of every infraction. God cares what kind of person you are, not how many good things you may accomplish.

Religion has made such a mess of "where two or three are gathered in My name"!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Thnaks.
You;re right in that if we stick with Jesus he will stick with us and he won't let us be dammed, but sometimes I worry that if we sin and don't know it we've still sinned, we've still disobeyed God. Adam and Eve didn't know they had sinned and they caused not only their own punnishments but the fall of mankind. We are wiser than Adam and Eve and we should know better, so wen we make a nasty comment about someone or laugh at another person's misfortune and our brain doesn't happen to register that we've sinned then that doesn't take away the fact that we have sinned. If we feel remorse for it and confess it we'll be OK but what if we just forget about it and carry on, we confess our sins but some that we have overlooked aren't brought before God, so if God would punnish a very nieve couple for eating the wrong fruit then jsut imagine the punnishments that coudl fall on someone who got angry with another person, which is in God's eyes as bad as murder..

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look, the idea that plagues most Christians is that we're somehow supposed to clean up and out the sin in our life once we confess and repent. I think we are fooled into believing that we will get better and realize our sin to patch it all up. The problem is, that's not what grace is about. The best definition I've ever heard for grace is "unmerited favor." The physician did not come to heal the well, He can to heal the sick. Flesh is corrupt and all fall short, even when we don't know it. That is our nature, and our nature will not change until we ourselves are changed into the incorruptible.

Right now we are corruptible and dwelling on that will get you in as much trouble as anything else. We certainly should strive to clean ourselves up and not do what we know to be wrong, but there is a limit to what our minds knows to do and recognizes.

Most of you know I'm far from a fan of The Message Bible, but I think it does a pretty good job on the passage in Romans 2:12-16 TMB:

[bible=Romans 2:12-16]
If you sin without knowing what you're doing, God takes that into account. But if you sin knowing full well what you're doing, that's a different story entirely. Merely hearing God's law is a waste of your time if you don't do what he commands. Doing, not hearing, is what makes the difference with God. When outsiders who have never heard of God's law follow it more or less by instinct, they confirm its truth by their obedience. They show that God's law is not something alien, imposed on us from without, but woven into the very fabric of our creation. There is something deep within them that echoes God's yes and no, right and wrong. Their response to God's yes and no will become public knowledge on the day God makes his final decision about every man and woman. The Message from God that I proclaim through Jesus Christ takes into account all these differences.
[/bible]