Smartphones, tips needed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm getting my first cellphone, will arrive in a few days.
It's a Motorola Moto Play G 2023 (sale $99).

Consumer Cellular said to phone them when it arrives so they can help me set it up.

I think I have to charge it on arrival. A YouTube video said to charge it while the phone is on. Is this something you do with smartphones? Only charge it while it's on?

Also, I guess I need to keep the 1GB of data so it can update apps? The lady at Consumer Cellular said I could cancel the data and just use the phone for calling people. But I think I need to keep those apps updated, don't you think?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Consumer Cellular said to phone them when it arrives so they can help me set it up.

I think I have to charge it on arrival. A YouTube video said to charge it while the phone is on. Is this something you do with smartphones? Only charge it while it's on?

Also, I guess I need to keep the 1GB of data so it can update apps? The lady at Consumer Cellular said I could cancel the data and just use the phone for calling people. But I think I need to keep those apps updated, don't you think?
Yes I think the phone must be on to charge it. I think it has a regulator built into it that must be on to charge. I'm not sure if it will turn on when you plug it in, some phones do that.

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I think the phone must be on to charge it. I think it has a regulator built into it that must be on to charge. I'm not sure if it will turn on when you plug it in, some phones do that.
Thanks Dev. I will read the little manual but thought I would ask for input.

My tablet can be off while charging.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Dev. I will read the little manual but thought I would ask for input.

My tablet can be off while charging.
If you can charge the tablet while it's off then how do you know it's charging?

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can charge the tablet while it's off then how do you know it's charging?
When I first plug it in, a large battery icon appears on the tablet screen for several seconds. After awhile the plug gets hot. As it charges more and more the plug gets only warm. Then finally it gets cold when charged.

I usually pull out the plug and replug it to check. Then the battery icon appears and will say 100% charged.

Reactions: dev553344

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another question about smartphones.

The one I bought has a fingerprint scanner on the back to unlock the phone.

Is it necessary to use that? Because in an emergency my elderly, disabled mother might need to use the phone.

I wouldn't want her to be locked out of the phone.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another question about smartphones.

The one I bought has a fingerprint scanner on the back to unlock the phone.

Is it necessary to use that? Because in an emergency my elderly, disabled mother might need to use the phone.

I wouldn't want her to be locked out of the phone.
That similar to the case of mine. I think you can disable it on my phone but I won't, but if something happens to me my sister can't use the phone either. hmm.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got the phone but still need to set it up with Consumer Cellular.

I accidentally turned it on. It's sleeping so I have to phone CC early in the morning.

Funny...even though it's not set up, it gave a weather alert. It made a sound, startled me. Was a weather alert.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Got my cellphone working and finally feeling more at ease in using it.

However, this is peculiar. I am with Consumer Cellular, not AT&T.

AT&T is installing software updates on my phone! They did one early this morning. Now they are halfway through another one....they are waiting for the Wi-Fi to reconnect.

I already phoned AT&T days ago to cancel my landline and told them I was now with Consumer Cellular for a cellphone. And told AT&T that I had already bought a Consumer Cellular cellphone.

I'll call Consumer Cellular to see what they say about the above. This technology is beyond me.

Just when I was getting used to a cellphone....

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Got my cellphone working and finally feeling more at ease in using it.

However, this is peculiar. I am with Consumer Cellular, not AT&T.

AT&T is installing software updates on my phone! They did one early this morning. Now they are halfway through another one....they are waiting for the Wi-Fi to reconnect.

I already phoned AT&T days ago to cancel my landline and told them I was now with Consumer Cellular for a cellphone. And told AT&T that I had already bought a Consumer Cellular cellphone.

I'll call Consumer Cellular to see what they say about the above. This technology is beyond me.

Just when I was getting used to a cellphone....
Consumer Cellular said they use AT&T's cell towers so that's why.

She also said to shut down my phone after updates for several seconds and then restart it.

Orkan

Jan 30, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Brazil

I recently stumbled upon Heyday's guide https://www.heyday.net/blog/how-to-start-your-own-brand-step-by-step-guide-from-heyday/ on starting own brand, and I must say, it's a game-changer, especially when accessed via smartphone. The step-by-step approach is not only intuitive but also incredibly user-friendly. With my phone always at hand, I can work on my brand anytime, anywhere. The tips are practical and easy to implement, making the most of the mobile experience. Whether it's refining my brand's vision or tweaking the design, everything is manageable on a smaller screen without losing functionality. This guide has truly simplified the branding process for me. Highly recommended for aspiring entrepreneurs on the go!
Congratulations on your new Motorola Moto Play G 2023! It’s a solid choice for a first phone, especially at such a great sale price. When it arrives, charging it is indeed the first step. While some recommend charging the phone while it’s on for calibration purposes, it’s not strictly necessary. You can charge it either way, but avoid keeping it plugged in all the time to preserve battery health. Regarding data, while you can use Wi-Fi to update apps, having a data plan is beneficial for app updates when no Wi-Fi is available. It also allows for map usage and browsing on the go. However, if you’re mostly around Wi-Fi and don’t need mobile data for other services, you could opt to use the phone primarily for calls and update apps via Wi-Fi. Ultimately, it depends on your lifestyle and how you plan to use your phone. Enjoy your new device!

Last edited:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Congratulations on your new Motorola Moto Play G 2023! It’s a solid choice for a first phone, especially at such a great sale price. When it arrives, charging it is indeed the first step. While some recommend charging the phone while it’s on for calibration purposes, it’s not strictly necessary. You can charge it either way, but avoid keeping it plugged in all the time to preserve battery health. Regarding data, while you can use Wi-Fi to update apps, having a data plan is beneficial for app updates when no Wi-Fi is available. It also allows for map usage and browsing on the go. However, if you’re mostly around Wi-Fi and don’t need mobile data for other services, you could opt to use the phone primarily for calls and update apps via Wi-Fi. Ultimately, it depends on your lifestyle and how you plan to use your phone. Enjoy your new device!

Thanks for the tips.

Finally got used to having a cell phone.

Sometimes I will get a message that says "update not completed. Put Wi-Fi on and charge phone while idle for two hours."

So then I do the above. But sometimes my phone is still around 50% or slightly more when I do the above.

Do you think I should let the percentage get lower before I do what they say....(put Wi-Fi on and charge phone while idle for two hours?)