So that he doesn’t reach forth his hand and also eat of the Tree of Life and Live forever.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure why it appears so hard. The word is clear in what is required and how it is done.

John 3:
13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man [b]who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should [c]not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

Romans 10: 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

eph 2: 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

2 Timothy 1:9

who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,

Titus 3:5

not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

once again, You can chose to be like Christ every hour of every day it still not save you.. Because you have that pesky penalty of sin which you have to deal with. until that penalty is removed, your still dead. and can never be like Christ. . I know you like to use this term, I just do not know why..
I’m not talking about trying to be good enough. I’m talking about the choice to believe. I can’t tell you how many altar calls I’ve went up to. Or how many times I accepted him in to my heart. Or how many times I have said I believe. Or that I have made a choice. Looking back now…I did not believe even though I thought I believed. I hadn’t made a choice even though I said I made a choice. I had not accepted anything into my heart except religion, and even while proclaiming to have made a choice and that I believed…I did not. All I am saying is you can think you believe and have made a choice …that you keep asserting others need to make when you yourself haven’t did the very thing you preach. Does that make sense…I’m not talking works I’m talking about the heart…being deceived into thinking the heart is right when you can’t see that it is not right. I’m not talking works, I’m saying believing and choice and the heart. What is to be Christ-like? Is it about a choice or a belief or a label or a title or saved or to become Christ -like?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've used it as a metaphor for keeping up the insights and sharing them.
Love it!!! Both are Crazy talented. I couldn’t stop laughing when the dog passed through.

I’ve seen people playing the spoons…not as well as her. I love the metaphor. I looked it up and there is a history to bones and spoon playing. I’m not sure what…but it is interesting. About battles cries and marching playing bones and spoons to let the enemy know they are coming. It going way back… ‘During the crusades, when these armies were marching the clicking or the bones and spoons meant to their enemy that “the pagans were coming” and it was time to prepare for battle, or to even run and hide’

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not talking about trying to be good enough. I’m talking about the choice to believe. I can’t tell you how many altar calls I’ve went up to. Or how many times I accepted him in to my heart. Or how many times I have said I believe. Or that I have made a choice. Looking back now…I did not believe even though I thought I believed. I hadn’t made a choice even though I said I made a choice. I had not accepted anything into my heart except religion, and even while proclaiming to have made a choice and that I believed…I did not. All I am saying is you can think you believe and have made a choice …that you keep asserting others need to make when you yourself haven’t did the very thing you preach. Does that make sense…I’m not talking works I’m talking about the heart…being deceived into thinking the heart is right when you can’t see that it is not right. I’m not talking works, I’m saying believing and choice and the heart. What is to be Christ-like? Is it about a choice or a belief or a label or a title or saved or to become Christ -like?
Romans 8:16

The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Your right. Many people claim to believe. I prayed myself for months.. But it was not until I spoke to someone and they walked me through the salvation process and why I needed saved and what Christ did for me that I truly called out to him. I left that room KNOWING I was saved. And the spirit has bore witness with my spirit that I am his..

I see it this way. God said we must look up to him. be as the tax collector. Believe. The greek word literal means to have assurance or to trust.

All those times I prayed. I had no assurance. I had no trust. it was not until that time i repented and confessed that I called out in assurance that I trust what God told me was true

mere belief will never saved you. we are saved by grace through FAITH..

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To I struggle with this concept of saying God allows those in eternal hell and suffering of torment to eat of the Tree of Life to be forever, in a constant torment of unresolved …while also this state of torment is confined by eating of the tree (the source) of Life.
Good questions raised in this thread.
Personally I like to look past the details to the bigger picture….and that goes back to the reason why God placed humans on earth in the first place.

What were they told to do right after Eve’s creation? They were told to “fill the earth and subdue it, having in subjection” all creation, both animate and inanimate. So what was man’s purpose? To act as caretaker for all that God had made here on this carefully prepared planet…..they were the very last of God’s creations and they were going to represent him here, being endowed with God’s attributes and qualities in their assignment. No sin existed at that time, but free will could introduce it if it was abused. How was God going to ensure that free will was not abused? He placed a penalty on the only way to introduce it into human experience….that penalty was the only way for humans to die. (Gen 2:15-17) So what were the humans told would cause death?….disobedience to this one command. Left to their own devices, humans would have had no reason to even think of disobeying their Creator….but we know what happened. They were persuaded to disobey, by satan deleting the penalty. “You surely will not die” is the lie he began…and continues to spread in all the doctrines that rely on that lie to even have a place in people’s belief system….but it infiltrates all false religions. “Hell” cannot exist if people are actually “dead”. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10)

Not many understand that satan was a “covering cherub” in the garden. In an indictment against the King of Tyre, God addressed the one whom this king was emulating. (Ezek 28: 12-17)

“Cherubs” in the Bible are portrayed as guardians, so the angel who became “satan” (“resister” or “adversary”) was in a position of trust and responsibility there in the garden as an overseer, but he was the first one to abuse his free will. He was carried away with his own magnificence and in an attempt to gain worship for himself, he devised the way to get the humans to abuse their free will, so that he could manipulate them to become their god and ruler.

So where does ‘sin and death’ factor into this scenario? Was there a “natural cause” of death in Eden? The answer to that question is “NO”! But creating humans alone in his image, God was going to use these creatures to maintain and care for, all that he had made.

The humans had no prohibition with regards to “the tree of life”, but only on the TKGE.
So, taking fruit from the TKGE meant being denied access to “the tree of life”…the means that God provided for mortals to live forever.

The very thing God put them out for; to keep them from remaining and eating of the tree of Life to continue on in this separation from Him and His presence. For me it blows apart the theology of this is what eternal suffering is…in Hell …torment is allowed to eat of the Tree of Life and to be in a never ending separation from Him. Sorry but I shake my head not seeing that as who He is or what He desires even from the beginning. Accentuating so they will not also eat of the Tree of Life and continue in this torment.
Yes, there was a dual purpose in evicting them and denying access to “the tree of life”…..imagine if all the despots in history had the ability to enjoy everlasting life!?
But evicting the rebels was a punishment because God in turn “cursed the ground” outside the garden and sentenced the pair to a very difficult existence outside of his care for them, up until their defection. They would have felt the vast difference between life in the garden with its abundance of food, and the austere existence outside where they had to raise a sweat even to grow enough food to “eat bread”….something they had not eaten in the garden. “Thorns and thistles” were not food, but these things were going to cause them problems in trying to feed themselves.

Since the Bible itself never says that there is conscious “life after death” except by resurrection, then “immortality of the soul” does not exist. If there is no conscious “soul” to experience torment or bliss, then what most people take for granted (that life after death is a Bible truth) is a satanic extension of his first lie….that you don’t really die, but go on living in a different form, in a different realm. This is not the hope held out in scripture for the majority of mankind.

God’s original purpose for humankind never altered, so Isa 55:11 shows us that it will yet become a reality.