So the pope just said…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That couples shouldnt replace kids with pets.
https://theweek.com/pope-francis/10...uldnt-let-pets-take-the-place-of-children?amp

he said its selfish to not have kids. This is something I in particular have had to listen to all my life. But i dont understand how its selfish to not have kids if you arent 100% committed to them??
I made the decision back in middle school that first, i would never ever have kids. Then in HS, i made the decision to never get married. And now my folks get told that its a shame they’ll never get to be grandparents. Boggles my mind. I need someone to explain how its selfish to not have kids. And please, explain it like i’m either an 8 yr old or a golden retriever.

Reactions: Nancy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then in HS, i made the decision to never get married.

Hello Lifelong,

"Pope Francis said Wednesday that choosing pets over kids "takes away our humanity" and that couples who do so are "selfish" "

Pope Francis is talking about married couples who prevent children and replace them with pets instead...

It is selfish because they put up barriers to life for the sake of their own comforts...

Pax et Bonum!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Lifelong,

"Pope Francis said Wednesday that choosing pets over kids "takes away our humanity" and that couples who do so are "selfish" "

Pope Francis is talking about married couples who prevent children and replace them with pets instead...

It is selfish because they put up barriers to life for the sake of their own comforts...

Pax et Bonum!

its not selfish to not have kids. If an adult knows they wouldnt make a good parent, its not selfishness to not want kids. I know i wouldnt be a good parent. I know what its like to have a terrible parent, i’d never want a kid to go thru what i did growing up.

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps he thinks it's selfish to not be fully committed to the idea of having kids as well, so that saying you don't think you'd make a good parent would just be selfish in itself.

You say you'd never want a kid to go through terrible parenting like you did. That sounds like the basis a great parent would have.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
its not selfish to not have kids. If an adult knows they wouldnt make a good parent, its not selfishness to not want kids. I know i wouldnt be a good parent. I know what its like to have a terrible parent, i’d never want a kid to go thru what i did growing up.
It isn't selfish not to have or want children. The Pope promotes the view he does because the church to which he belongs seeks to perpetuate its teaching by adding to its numbers through new childbirth instead on New spiritual birth.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
https://theweek.com/pope-francis/10...uldnt-let-pets-take-the-place-of-children?amp

he said its selfish to not have kids. This is something I in particular have had to listen to all my life. But i dont understand how its selfish to not have kids if you arent 100% committed to them??
I made the decision back in middle school that first, i would never ever have kids. Then in HS, i made the decision to never get married. And now my folks get told that its a shame they’ll never get to be grandparents. Boggles my mind. I need someone to explain how its selfish to not have kids. And please, explain it like i’m either an 8 yr old or a golden retriever.
I have had difficulty with more than one of this pope's statements over the years.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh brother, same here...when one asks, and they ALWAYS do, and with assumption as well like, "so, how many kids do you have, any grands? husband??" Presumptuous for sure. Not all were meant to have kids and boy let me tell you, I've seen TON'S of them who should not even be near them much less have them.
I did get married, for a very short while only to please those around me and thought it was something I HAD to do...not so. Even Paul say's it is better to remain single. It's not a disease and really nobody's beeswax why one stays single and or childless. Not to mention, there are many other factors that come into play here too like, bad genetics not wanting to pass them onto their child so, perhaps they adopt. Or they just plain do not want to raise them in a world like this. Could be so many reasons...the man could be sterile or the woman could be barren, on and on.
You are in good company brother.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I need someone to explain how its selfish to not have kids.
It is when your decision to not have kids is so all your time and money are spent on yourself and the kids won't be an inconvenience to your life.
For as true as that is, you're the one who has to raise 'em, so it should be your choice as to whether or not you want to take on that selfless responsibility.

Reactions: Pearl