So what's so new about the new Covenant, and is it better, really?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the way, I do not like this constant harping back to the Old Testament, it makes me wonder about peoples sincerity and commitment towards Christianity. That dispensation is over and gone, the same as the temple was destroyed and the veil of the temple rent in two.

The Old Testament is still the word of God and is profitable for doctrine (2 Timothy 3:16).

It contains many exceeding great and precious promises by which we can become partakers of the divine nature and escape the corruption that is in the world through lust (2 Peter 1:3-4).

Reactions: amadeus

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Old Testament is still the word of God and is profitable for doctrine (2 Timothy 3:16).

It contains many exceeding great and precious promises by which we can become partakers of the divine nature and escape the corruption that is in the world through lust (2 Peter 1:3-4).
So you say that and quote the New Testament. The Old Testament Promises have been FULFILLED and what haven't, will be in the FUTURE.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you say that and quote the New Testament. The Old Testament Promises have been FULFILLED and what haven't, will be in the FUTURE.

Yes, there are Old Testament promises that will be fulfilled in the future; and we can lay a hold on them as promises by which we can become partakers of the divine nature and escape the corruption that is in the world through lust (2 Peter 1:3-4).

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament commandments are about what we must not do, very negative, whereas the New Testament commandments are about how we should be towards others.
I don't think there's much truth to that. There's a lot of 'do nots' in the NT....

26“In your anger do not sin” d : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:26-30

Try being nice to someone you don't like. That is much harder to do.
That's in the law. That's not a new standard of righteousness for us in this new covenant...

4“If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. 5If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it.
Exodus 23:4-5

You said the other day about the hostility towards homosexuals.
No, I was referring to the hostility of the homosexual community. The bondage to homosexuality is very powerful. When it gets entrenched in society they get very militant about it. Even murderous.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think there's much truth to that. There's a lot of 'do nots' in the NT....

26“In your anger do not sin” d : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:26-30

That's in the law. That's not a new standard of righteousness for us in this new covenant...

4“If you come across your enemy’s ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to return it. 5If you see the donkey of someone who hates you fallen down under its load, do not leave it there; be sure you help them with it.
Exodus 23:4-5

No, I was referring to the hostility of the homosexual community. The bondage to homosexuality is very powerful. When it gets entrenched in society they get very militant about it. Even murderous.
It is about putting on the new man and rejecting the old.

I see in many people a stubbornness to leave the Old and embrace the New, and it does not impress me.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is about putting on the new man and rejecting the old.
When you put on the new man you fulfill the old covenant law.

31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Certainly not! Instead, we uphold the law.
Romans 3:31

I see in many people a stubbornness to leave the Old and embrace the New, and it does not impress me.
What in the old do you say many people are not leaving?

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No wiggle room on the matter of divorce,

Are you claiming that divorce is the “ unpardonable” Sin? Please tell me you ain’t that screwed up...

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When you put on the new man you fulfill the old covenant law.

31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Certainly not! Instead, we uphold the law.
Romans 3:31

What in the old do you say many people are not leaving?
Basically, those people who cling to the old, have not shaken off the religion of the devil. It needs a clean break. Jesus said no man can serve two masters.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically, those people who cling to the old, have not shaken off the religion of the devil. It needs a clean break. Jesus said no man can serve two masters.
You're not being specific enough. What exactly is it that a person who has not shaken off the old doing?

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you claiming that divorce is the “ unpardonable” Sin?
No, it's not unpardonable if the person who has divorced their spouse realizes their sin (if it was a divorce Jesus does not allow) and changes their mind about their decision, confesses it, and asks God to forgive them.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...you still hanker after the old.
What does that mean??????

I do not observe the literal Mosaic feasts and sabbaths. All I do is uphold the commandments of God found in the law, and I learn from the example of the Israelites, and I learn from the types and shadows found in the law. How is that a "religion of the devil?"

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What does that mean??????

I do not observe the literal Mosaic feasts and sabbaths. All I do is uphold the commandments of God found in the law, and I learn from the example of the Israelites, and I learn from the types and shadows found in the law. How is that a "religion of the devil?"
Leaven.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know kids personally that thank God that Their Mother’s divorced drunken, wife beating , incest performing Father’s....what do you think about that?
I'm certain that there are exceptions to every rule...

But the rule is that children do not do well in a broken home where the parents have been divorced.

If the good parent divorced the bad parent in order to protect the children from evil, that is one thing...

But what happened in my family would have been better if no divorce had happened.

Divorce can indeed be devastating to the children in the family.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8:4 is for those who have made the break. We cannot walk the broad way and the narrow way at the same time.
Please elaborate. What do you mean when you say that Romans 8:4 is for those who have made the break? What do you consider are the broad and narrow ways?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please elaborate. What do you mean when you say that Romans 8:4 is for those who have made the break? What do you consider are the broad and narrow ways?
Romans chapter 8 makes the distinction between those who walk in the spirit and those who walk after the flesh. There is a massive difference between them, and there we see the two paths. One leads to heaven and the other to hell.

Last edited: