Something confusing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
ok, I know that our works as fallen creatures of God are as filthy rags. God does not need us, but we need Him, yet he uses us for his purposes. How is it then that we can possibly please God by anything we do if our works are this way to God?

bigape

May 22, 2008
God honors our faith, trust and obedience, much more than our good works.These please God, because they come voluntarily from our heart.-------------------------------------------------- Because of the free will that God has given us, He will not force these things out of us.(Therefore these are truly gifts, that we give Him.)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps the greatest peek at God's "heart" is Hosea 6:6.Hosea 6:6
For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
He wants your love. That will give Him all the pleasure he could ask for. (Understanding, of course, that it involves more than just words. One of the Greek terms for YHVH (God) is 'Heart Knower.'

Prizm

Nov 1, 2008
Obedience pleases God:John 14:21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me."Being a blessing to others pleases God:Matthew 25:40 "...inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of My brethren, you did it to Me."

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(eternalarcadia;63568)
ok, I know that our works as fallen creatures of God are as filthy rags. God does not need us, but we need Him, yet he uses us for his purposes. How is it then that we can possibly please God by anything we do if our works are this way to God?
I don't NEED any of the gifts my kids gave me for my birthday this past summer. But I enjoyed and appreciated them!

nihilanth

Nov 11, 2008
Our works only count when we do good works for the sake of good. If you do good works just to please God, and if there were no God, would you still do the same good works?I believe God want's us to be good and to do good works, only do them because it is right, not because God says so.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Prizm;63576)
Obedience pleases God:John 14:21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me."Being a blessing to others pleases God:Matthew 25:40 "...inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of My brethren, you did it to Me."
Yes and what are the commandments?? Are they not about making us upright people with a right mindset? Putting others before self keeps one's heart/mind in the right place

epistemaniac

Aug 13, 2008
(eternalarcadia;63568)
first, "works", eg obedience the Law, is pleasing to God ONLY after we are saved... for the bible says that those in the flesh cannot please God, Romans 8:8 (ESV) Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." So the unsaved person"s works cannot please God... nothing they do pleases God, not even their supposed good deeds.... anyone who thinks they can do good without God, that they say God does not exist, they don't need God.... they don't need God to do good in the world... etc etc.... all do their so-called "good deeds" with sinful motives, for they are haters of God, thus this fact taints all that they do and makes anything they do evil.Since this is the case, eg that no unsaved person (of the flesh) can do anything that pleases God, so we know that the first criteria that has to happen in order to please God, is that a person must be saved, eg no longer "in the flesh", but "in the Spirit" or "born of the Spirit" John 3:6 (ESV) That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Once a person is saved, their good deeds are good because obedience is good. If God says to do a certain thing, or to not do a certain thing, then doing or not doing is good simply because it is to do or not do a thing God has commanded, and we know all God's commandments are good....Romans 7:12 (ESV) So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.".... and most of all, to obey God's commandments is the same as loving Christ Jesus: John 14:15 (ESV) “If you love me, you will keep my commandments." and John 14:21 (ESV) Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” So we do good because it is commanded of us, because it shows we love Christ, and because we will receive a reward, for not even every deed that appears to be good when done by a Christian is necessarily good.... the Lord will test our deeds to see what sort of work it is....1 Corinthians 3:12-15 (ESV) 1Co 12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— 13 each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. 14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire."blessings,Ken