"Son": Literal or Metaphor?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

janc2

Aug 22, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
What do you say, is the anointed one the literal son of the mighty one, or is this just meant methaphorically?
The Mighty One with a biological son, is that at all possible?

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"a Child is born"

"a Son"

"Mighty God"

Isaiah 9:6 (NKJV)
6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"a Child is born"

"a Son"

"Mighty God"

Isaiah 9:6 (NKJV)
6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
The Sonship of Christ is foundational and Scripture is full of it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you say, is the anointed one the literal son of the mighty one, or is this just meant methaphorically?
Before Abraham was, I am.

This is Jesus' declaration of living in the eternal.

. . . a body you have prepared for me . . .

The One Who inhabits eternity became flesh, and camped out with us.

O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

He left His glory, emtied Himself, took on the form of a servant.

Much love!

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Before Abraham was, I am.

This is Jesus' declaration of living in the eternal.

. . . a body you have prepared for me . . .

The One Who inhabits eternity became flesh, and camped out with us.

O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

He left His glory, emtied Himself, took on the form of a servant.

Much love!
Hebrews 1: 'Unto the Son He saith: Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever...'

Reactions: marks

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
very literal. He is the God /man in heaven! Let us all remember God created language and could have used a feminine or neutral gender to describe Himself ans His Son!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:21 (NKJV)
21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Neither. It's a Declaration, By God.

The Son was call the Son,
Because:
He (the Word of God)came forth out from God...
With the Express intent to come to Earth and Seek the Lost Jews and minister to them.
God SENT forth His Word, in the Likeness and fashion as a Man. So men could See Him face to face and Hear Him.
It was God who said He would be A father to Him, and Jesus would be to the Father, A Son.
God Declared it and thus it is so.

Heb 1
[5] For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Also God, gives the same Father / son relationship to Faithful men.

2 Cor 6:
[18] And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Glory to God,
Taken

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
addressing the OP, you're correct, the term "Son" is methaphorically. using Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, it's the Greek word, G5207, huios. primarily signifies the relation of offspring to parent, but It is often used metaphorically of prominent moral characteristics. descendants, without reference to sex, Rom 9:27, those who act in a certain way, whether evil, Matt 23:31, or good, Gal 3:7. those who manifest a certain character, whether evil, Acts 13:10; Eph 2:2, or good, Luke 6:35; Acts 4:36; Rom 8:14.

a Son can be a "female", as Romans 9:27 states, but in a biological Son, not ... HERE ... concering the Lord Jesus. the Lord Jesus is without father, and mother, he's eternal. so being a biological Son is out.

his eternity is clearly seen in the scripture given, Isaiah 9:6. a child is born... (Flesh and blood/ natural). but the "son" is GIVEN, no biological mother, and no biological father, only a birth mother to the flesh he came in. as a matter of fact the "everlasting Father" title is correct in Isaiah 9:6. this is backed up in 1 Timothy 6:16 "Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen."

so, if he's the ONLY one who have eternal LIFE. then no one else have it. he's no one biological son. so you're correct in your assessment that the term is speaking methaphorically of "character", or the "characteristics" of God in Flesh... which is Holy.

alos, "begotten" is not biological either.

be blessed,

PICJAG

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The actual Son of the Father (John 3:16). It is not a metaphor.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.
an Offspring, in the Lord Jesus case, is a diversity of one's ownself. better know as the equal share of oneself in flesh. scripture, Revelation 22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.". he is "before" David, and Abraham... (Spirit), the ordinal First. and he's after David, and Abraham .... (Flesh), the ordinal Last.

here again the bible clearly identifies who the Lord Jesus really is. A. he's the Root/Father/LORD. B. he is also the Offspring/Son/Lord. other words he's the beginning/Root, Father. the First/Root/Father. he is also the End/Offspring/Son, and he is also the Last/Offspring/Son.

what most people don't understand is God diversity, or the plurality of himself. not two separate and distinct persons... no, but the same one person shared. John 1:1 clearly idenifies this equal share as well as phil 2:6, and it is without a doubt establish in Isaiah 41:4 & Isaiah 48:12.

so the term "Son" is metaphorically used to Identify an actual ONE "Spirit" person, Jesus the Holy Spirit, who is shared or diverfified in flesh.

PICJAG.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:21 (NKJV)
21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.

Remember that i His humanity, Jesus emptied Himself of all prerogatives of Deity and submitted perfectly to His Father. Now He sits in teh exalted position with His Father in heaven awaiting to return.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember that i His humanity, Jesus emptied Himself of all prerogatives of Deity and submitted perfectly to His Father. Now He sits in teh exalted position with His Father in heaven awaiting to return.
you're correct as to who sits on the throne right now in heaven, with all power. it's the GREAT High Priest and Mediator, God almighty, the Lord Jesus.

Many christian cannot understand his deity when he emptied Himself of his powers, as the equal share of himself in flesh. as the ordinal Last he accomplish what man could not do. and as said, he is carrying out Psalms 110:1 right now as we speak, and he's doing it in accordance to verse 5 of the same Psalms chapter 110.

What a God we serve.

PICJAG.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Literally, BOT NOT literal in the way us small minded mortals think of it. Mary was a virgin, and conception was via the Holy Spirit, not via sex/semen. Christ also obviously existed and was God before being placed in Mary's womb (and after too).
You believe in the trinity?
I believe in one God, with three divine persons (Father, Son, Spirit). I don't agree with every nuances in all Creedal statements though..

Reactions: marks

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if Jesus is the Literal biological son of God who is his biological mother, for God is not biological. so as for a biological father that's out too.

so a. who is his Literal biological father? book chapter and verse.

b. who is his Literal biological mother, book chapter and verse.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in one God, with three divine persons (Father, Son, Spirit). I don't agree with every nuances in all Creedal statements though..
not for an argument, who told you that it's three divine persons of God? since you said, "I don't agree with every nuances in all Creedal statements" so where in the bible did you get your information that God is three person? again not for argument, but asking.

PICJAG.

janc2

Aug 22, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
if Jesus is the Literal biological son of God who is his biological mother, for God is not biological. so as for a biological father that's out too.

so a. who is his Literal biological father? book chapter and verse.

b. who is his Literal biological mother, book chapter and verse.

PICJAG.
The angels are also not biological and have nevertheless begotten children with human women.
So the father would be God and the mother Mary. The son of God and the son of man.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The angels are also not biological and have nevertheless begotten children with human women.
So the father would be God and the mother Mary. The son of God and the son of man.
if so where is that in the bible? book chapter and verse please.

PICJAG.

janc2

Aug 22, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
if so where is that in the bible? book chapter and verse please.

PICJAG.
He is described as the only Son and at the same time as the begotten Son. So he is the only begotten Son of God, and because he has the genes of God in him he is like God, he has the same mind as his Father.