Spiritual/demonic oppression

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

savedbygrace05

Apr 13, 2012
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with spiritual/demonic oppression in line with what Paul says in Eph 6: 16? "In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."

What are your experience/s, and how do you cope?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi saved05!
Welcome to CB! ^_^

20 years in the deliverance ministry. The shield is a defensive weapon used to stand your ground against the attack of the enemy.
It is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."[Hebrews 11:1-39]
It is established in the word of God and also in our daily walk, as we put our trust in him.

Example:
The enemy may tell us that we are going to perish at his hand - the bible says that our lives are in God's hands [John 10:27-29]
The enemy may convince us that we have no-one to help us in our need - the bible tells us that God supplies our all our needs, according to bis riches in glory [Philippians 4:19] etc:

The enemy is a liar and will try to convince us to believe something about ourselves or our present situation that is not true.
The shield of faith extinguishes these lies by believing and trusting in the what the word of God says about us and also through our own personal experiences...again, as we trust in him. :)

Bless you!!!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
like angelina said it is knowing who we are in Christ.

have you ever felt fear? it has been my experience that when fear comes upon me that i recite scriptures on how we were not given the spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind. you would be surprised at how fast fear disappears.

or how about when good things happen to you. do you thank God for the little things along with the big things that happen it your life. faith works in anything like finances, attitude changes, healings, and ect. God's faith works on anything that makes you believe in something good or in bettering yourself.

everyone's shield of faith starts out exactly the same size. as we use our faith our shield will grow or shrink depending upon what kind of faith you are using. there is God's faith that comes from a hope of something good or the reverse which keeps thinking negatively. if we are not believing in God's faith then we are in unbelief which is satan's way of reducing our faith.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I have seen spirits/demons manifest in a variety of ways. Some act out fanatically and flamboyantly, while others do things subtle and are revealed in your every day walk. Main thing is to be guided by the word of God make sure its in you and that you are influenced by the Holy Spirit.

savedbygrace05

Apr 13, 2012
I have seen spirits/demons manifest in a variety of ways. Some act out fanatically and flamboyantly, while others do things subtle and are revealed in your every day walk. Main thing is to be guided by the word of God make sure its in you and that you are influenced by the Holy Spirit.

Thanks for this, it would be really helpful if you could expand on what you have said.

Thanks again

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Im sure you are a believer, you hold the keys to the Kingdom of God so whatever you bind (stop, disallow, correct, rebuke, veto, etc.) in the earth realm and what we bind on Earth God binds in Heaven. Meaning whatever we disallow as believers on Earth God disallows it in Heaven. Wahtever we loose (free, allow, etc.) in the earth realm God looses it in Heaven. In fighting in spiritual warfare understand your authority and power in Jesus' name and use it. For the only way the demonic spirit is in the person is by that man's choice and so that spirit has legal right to that person and by your binding power your veto and disallow those legal rights! All authority in Heaven and on Earth is in Jesus but he gave us the power over the enemy!

savedbygrace05

Apr 13, 2012
Im sure you are a believer, you hold the keys to the Kingdom of God so whatever you bind (stop, disallow, correct, rebuke, veto, etc.) in the earth realm and what we bind on Earth God binds in Heaven. Meaning whatever we disallow as believers on Earth God disallows it in Heaven. Wahtever we loose (free, allow, etc.) in the earth realm God looses it in Heaven. In fighting in spiritual warfare understand your authority and power in Jesus' name and use it. For the only way the demonic spirit is in the person is by that man's choice and so that spirit has legal right to that person and by your binding power your veto and disallow those legal rights! All authority in Heaven and on Earth is in Jesus but he gave us the power over the enemy!

Thank you and amen :D

I find it helpful to say "I am covered by the blood of Jesus."

:rolleyes:

Why does Satanic attack occur? There are probably as many answers as there are verses in the bible, but here are a few suggestions;
1. Paul talks about the spiritual battle in Eph 6, as subjects of King Jesus, Christians are targeted by dark forces simply because of who we belong to.
2. Satan is known in the bible as the accuser – Zech 3: 1 – 4, Rev 12: 10.
3. Satan is a liar, and the father of lies (Jn 8: 44).
4. As hard as it may be to understand, sometimes God in His Sovereign power and providence uses such things to further His will, 2 Cor 12: 7, Job and 1 Sam 16: 14. Everyone and everything is under our Creator’s control, and in His power and grace He can and will use whatever means to help grow His children (Rom 12: 28 – 29). This possibly comes under the area of theodicy, the understanding that God is all powerful, Holy, good but permits, or somehow tolerates evil http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/590596/theodicy

Biblegateway.com gives the following definition of Satan – “…adversary; accuser. When used as a proper name, the Hebrew word so rendered has the article "the adversary" (Job 1:6-12; 2:1-7). In the New Testament it is used as interchangeable with Diabolos, or the devil, and is so used more than thirty times.
He is also called "the dragon," "the old serpent" (Rev. 12:9; 20:2); "the prince of this world" (John 12:31; 14:30); "the prince of the power of the air" (Eph. 2:2); "the god of this world" (2 Cor. 4:4); "the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience" (Eph. 2:2). The distinct personality of Satan and his activity among men are thus obviously recognized. He tempted our Lord in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1-11). He is "Beelzebub, the prince of the devils" (12:24). He is "the constant enemy of God, of Christ, of the divine kingdom, of the followers of Christ, and of all truth; full of falsehood and all malice, and exciting and seducing to evil in every possible way." His power is very great in the world. He is a "roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Pet. 5:8). Men are said to be "taken captive by him" (2 Tim. 2:26). Christians are warned against his "devices" (2 Cor. 2:11), and called on to "resist" him (James 4:7). Christ redeems his people from "him that had the power of death, that is, the devil" (Heb. 2:14). Satan has the "power of death," not as lord, but simply as executioner.”
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/dictionaries/dict_meaning.php?source=1&wid=T0003228

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with spiritual/demonic oppression in line with what Paul says in Eph 6: 16? "In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."

This is a complicated subject and as such has no simple, lock and load and shoot answer. If anyone thinks it does then he or she is laboring under a delusion.

Oppression comes in many forms, but is usually caused by one or more persons who are involking the demons or unclean spirits (2 different bugs) in some way.

There are two types of oppression; personal and communal.
The first type obviously affects only an individual.
The second type can affect a group either small or large. I've seen spiritual oppression affect an average size church as well as a medium sized city. I've seen its temporal effect limited to a few minutes and its effect to be nearly permanent. Bottom line is that there's no rule of thumb.

The most obvious and difficult to live with is oppression that affects an entire city. I experienced the worst of this type when I passed through a city in Brazil several years ago. My son did some mission work in the highlands of Guatamala in Central America and reported the same thing. In both cases the population was heavily into paganism and familiar spirits. Consequently the spiritual presence was more overt. It was also quite unpleasant I can tell you. I was glad to leave the place.

Back in the states I've noticed that periodically an oppression will settle over a Bible believing church. Without getting too specific the causes of this can be either a desire by the enemy to lull the congregation into a state of non-participation or some secret sin by one or more members. Sin is usually the cause in most cases, but not all. Sometimes you can look for secret sin all day and not find it. Other times, it's quite obvious. Like I said, there's no certain rule or procedure to go by.

In the case of an individual, spiritual oppression may be experienced as a result of some pet sin or secret personal sin, a significant other person in the family who is encouraging demonic or unclean spirits might also be the cause. Even a next door neighbor can be a 'carrier' with spiritual influences washing into an otherwise clean Christian home. I experienced this type while in seminary of all places.

There are two general classes of unholy spirits; demons and unclean spirits. Contact with an unclean spirit will literally make you feel dirty. That's why they're called unclean I suppose. Demons are terribly powerful and dangerous and may often appear as angels of light or fearful spiritual objects such as weird combinations of human and animal. Pagan folk worship this type as gods, while oppression usually comes from unclean spirits.

WARNING: Under no circumstances should contact with any spiritual entity except the Holy Spirit be encouraged or attempted. This is extremely dangerous because once one of these filthy things fastens itself upon you it is impossible to get rid of it. No human has the power to do so despite many Hollywood devices to the contrary. Only the blood of Jesus can do so and only then if Our Lord applies it. There is no such thing as a set formula, prayer, liturgy, noisemaker, small explosive, flag waving or incantation for this purpose.

I'm not kidding about the explosives. My son worked outside a small village where small bombs were always being set off to scare away the evil spirits. Manufacturing these mini bombs is a cottage industry in Central and South America.

Scripture is specific regarding the eviction of evil spirits. One should NOT attempt it unless one has been taught and led specifically by the Holy Spirit. In short, this is a job for trained experienced persons, certainly not for someone who is curious and wants to experiment.

If spiritual oppression or some sort of bodily spiritual occupation is suspected one should immediately consult one's church elders. This isn't a job for the Lone Ranger. As members of the body of Christ, such things affect us all. Do not try to deal with this nasty business on your own - EVER.

I've said all that so I can say this- because HE lives we can face tomorrow. Because Christ shed His blood on the cross, we can hope for a clear mind and a clean heart. Spiritual oppression is a fact of life, but nowhere is it written that we have to put up with it.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I thought every Holy Spirit filled Christian has the authority over evil Spirits. I would not go it alone unless I had to and then under prayer cover but if I had acsess to neither I would not be afraid. Satan kingdom is under my feet and I will not be afraid! I will just plead the blood of Jesus and they will cower and flee! Just my opinion and i am just learning, but this is what I believe to be true.

savedbygrace05

Apr 13, 2012
In the case of an individual, spiritual oppression may be experienced as a result of some pet sin or secret personal sin

Thank you for your very comprehensive response. Are you familiar with any books by Dr Neil T Anderson? I am not convinced that personal sin is a reason for spiritual oppression.

I thought every Holy Spirit filled Christian has the authority over evil Spirits. I would not go it alone unless I had to and then under prayer cover but if I had acsess to neither I would not be afraid. Satan kingdom is under my feet and I will not be afraid! I will just plead the blood of Jesus and they will cower and flee! Just my opinion and i am just learning, but this is what I believe to be true.

Sounds biblical to me. Have you read any of Dr Neil T Anderson's books?

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I have not. What does he write about?
Thank you for your very comprehensive response. Are you familiar with any books by Dr Neil T Anderson? I am not convinced that personal sin is a reason for spiritual oppression.

Sounds biblical to me. Have you read any of Dr Neil T Anderson's books?

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
I am from the East and I would like to share my testimony. At the time when me and my girlfriend were at our 20's, strange things happened, strange as in paranormal activities seeping into our lives without reasons or explanation. I remembered those nights when the clock reach certain time at midnight ( I know it's rather a cliche but those times when demonic power is at its peak), my significant other was having this splitting migraine. For me, I was extremely temperamental which went against the vary fabric of my character.

Ironically she knew a friend who has power to prophecise and to manipulate people's outcomes. FYI that friend was not a Christian. Her friend claimed she has 3 powerful gods/goddesses in her and she said that our infermities and mental instabilities were cast from a curse originated from My MOTHER.

Looking back, my mother had delved herself into the occult and have many priests in temples that have claimed to have powers in which she believed to be good (white magic ?). She worshiped idols and claimed to have seen spirits manifested and communicated with her at her will.

My mother was a divorced mother. Her broken marriage has let to hatred and distrust in any types of matrimony. Once a Christian but later converted to Buddhism and delved into the spiritual world. That said, she never believed in marriages and I believed she became overly protective or obsessive and never accept and approve any girls brought home.

That said, it became cleared and at the time we believed in the girl's power of discernment was justified that the culprit behind was my mother and with her hex or spell that turned our lives into melancholy was her scheme to break us apart.

We flew to Thailand (The world's most infamous idol worshiping country & Black magic) and sought help. We visited so many temples and made contact with seances but with no avail. Looking back, I knew those people we spoke to have power, through demonstration that would probably freak most of you out so I'll leave out this graphic part.

Not long my girlfriend was harassed in a deeper level. She started seeing little children marching around the dinner table and eating her pancake literally.

Until one night a good Christian friend of mine called me half a world away and offered his prayer. I (we) accepted Jesus as savior, long distance on the phone and the next 2 days, the symptoms we were having just disappeared. yep just like that! Praise the Lord !!

Satan did not fold and took it up a notch not long after our curses were lifted. There was this incident that a spirit of her dead grandma appeared in front of her while sitting in that tiny cubicle toilet space in a public restroom. Grandma spoke in her native tongue (Chinese) to her. What I was told, her scent was exactly the way she knew her before she past away. The demon was very meticulous in details I presumed. So her reflex was to yell " I bind you in the name of Jesus...." before she finished her sentence the apparition slipped away through the narrow door gap just like smoke.

From that time on, we knew our search was over. We have found our Maker and lover of our souls. Amen.

Footnote* From what we learned, the hierarchy of the chain of command in the demon world is chaotic. These minions would fight each other for a position and all they answer for is their boss- Satan. I know this because of my girlfriend's friend, having the power of familiar spirits in her and yet willing to finger point to another rival (unclean spirit/demon), teaching us how to rid of them with other spells and incantations. They have no bros in arms, just survival of the fittest.

Footnote*2 - Yes I have read a few books written by Neil Anderson, specialized on spiritual warfare. After what I went through, I must prepare myself from anymore assaults from the enemy.

Blessings!

Reactions: layhoma

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I am from the East and I would like to share my testimony. At the time when me and my girlfriend were at our 20's, strange things happened, strange as in paranormal activities seeping into our lives without reasons or explanation. I remembered those nights when the clock reach certain time at midnight ( I know it's rather a cliche but those times when demonic power is at its peak), my significant other was having this splitting migraine. For me, I was extremely temperamental which went against the vary fabric of my character.

Ironically she knew a friend who has power to prophecise and to manipulate people's outcomes. FYI that friend was not a Christian. Her friend claimed she has 3 powerful gods/goddesses in her and she said that our infermities and mental instabilities were cast from a curse originated from My MOTHER.

Looking back, my mother had delved herself into the occult and have many priests in temples that have claimed to have powers in which she believed to be good (white magic ?). She worshiped idols and claimed to have seen spirits manifested and communicated with her at her will.

My mother was a divorced mother. Her broken marriage has let to hatred and distrust in any types of matrimony. Once a Christian but later converted to Buddhism and delved into the spiritual world. That said, she never believed in marriages and I believed she became overly protective or obsessive and never accept and approve any girls brought home.

That said, it became cleared and at the time we believed in the girl's power of discernment was justified that the culprit behind was my mother and with her hex or spell that turned our lives into melancholy was her scheme to break us apart.

We flew to Thailand (The world's most infamous idol worshiping country & Black magic) and sought help. We visited so many temples and made contact with seances but with no avail. Looking back, I knew those people we spoke to have power, through demonstration that would probably freak most of you out so I'll leave out this graphic part.

Not long my girlfriend was harassed in a deeper level. She started seeing little children marching around the dinner table and eating her pancake literally.

Until one night a good Christian friend of mine called me half a world away and offered his prayer. I (we) accepted Jesus as savior, long distance on the phone and the next 2 days, the symptoms we were having just disappeared. yep just like that! Praise the Lord !!

Satan did not fold and took it up a notch not long after our curses were lifted. There was this incident that a spirit of her dead grandma appeared in front of her while sitting in that tiny cubicle toilet space in a public restroom. Grandma spoke in her native tongue (Chinese) to her. What I was told, her scent was exactly the way she knew her before she past away. The demon was very meticulous in details I presumed. So her reflex was to yell " I bind you in the name of Jesus...." before she finished her sentence the apparition slipped away through the narrow door gap just like smoke.

From that time on, we knew our search was over. We have found our Maker and lover of our souls. Amen.

Footnote* From what we learned, the hierarchy of the chain of command in the demon world is chaotic. These minions would fight each other for a position and all they answer for is their boss- Satan. I know this because of my girlfriend's friend, having the power of familiar spirits in her and yet willing to finger point to another rival (unclean spirit/demon), teaching us how to rid of them with other spells and incantations. They have no bros in arms, just survival of the fittest.

Footnote*2 - Yes I have read a few books written by Neil Anderson, specialized on spiritual warfare. After what I went through, I must prepare myself from anymore assaults from the enemy.

Blessings!

Thank you for sharing! Their is power in the name of Jesus! HalleluYAH!

Roger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

savedbygrace05, Hi

You know the Lord has said, "Do not give up on me." What I do is read three chapters of the King James Bible daily, this is not giving up on Jesus.

He is our defender.

Let us look at a story...

" And the Holy Spirit said, "Behold my glory," and in the visions of darkness, three evil spirits where approaching, and their leader spoke out with a loud voice,

Gabriel how dare you stand before me, was you not sent to Daniel and did not the Prince of Persia resist you for 21 days? And Gabriel said, "The Lord Rebuke You."
They took there carpet bags and high tailed it.

You are in the Kingdom of God and as long as you do not give-up reading the bible daily the Lord will keep you safe in his kingdom.

Another story...

There was a man who was in the Kingdom of God and he went out to serve the Lord and he was captured by the enemy "back-slidden" everyday that he was imprisoned in Satan's prison "of his mind" the demons tormented him trying to get him to hate God and his dear Son Jesus. This torment went on and on and he drank to see if this would help. He lost patience with his wife and family until he wanted to just leave, run away from his responsibilities. One day as he sat in his chair he said to himself I'm going to Hell. But God was there with him for he had never given up on him and he said, "No but you are going to go to heaven." Then one day the Lord sent a terrible storm to the mans house one so frightening. God sent him a helper in the form of a dog one the man held up in his arms and in his heart he began to feel God's presence again. Then he recommitted his life to God with one stipulation.Oh God you have said, "Let us sit down and reason together," if I have any questions concerning your bible as I read it I want you to explain it to me. So for several years as he read the bible, reading it through the first time, "first grade" second time "second grade" God would answer his questions concerning his Word.

Now the young man is a soldier again in the Lord's great army being being all the wiser for all the sufferings he suffered at the hands of Satan and his army.

So I pray for all that Love God. You will never fail if you never give up on God and his dear Son Jesus. Read the bible and no matter what lies come into your mind stay true to God and you will always be victorious in Christ

I love you all for this is the Law OF God.

-God's servant and scribe in Jesus of Nazareth