Spiritual warfare: Identifying the evil one

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The first place to look for Satan is where GOOD is...as Paul so wisely put it
“I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.”
— Romans 7:21 (KJV)
A law....when doing good....evil is present.

And that is my humble opinion.

I'm so happy with the responses... Often when I start this conversation it will get a few interested people and go cold leaving me wondering if I'm the only one who is having a spiritual war...

That Romans 7 from 14 to the end is defiantly one of my favourite bible passages... It feels like his talking about me... And with Pauls style it's tricky but when read smoothly it's like poetry... What a wretched man I am... Gives me goose bumps that part... Thanks be...

And I often wonder what Pauls personal vice might have been... I think it could of been something like lust, with no partner a young man will lust. Maybe it was anger he was trying to tame from dealing with so many heretics. Who knows...

Paul persecuted Chris. The other apostles didn't. I think this may be why we only really read Paul taking about this a bit... I persecuted ChRist in my heart a roamed off into the darkness for 10 years before spending another 10 years to get back to God... By then Satan has built a temple in me and knows me well... His always there and will never go away... God's grace is sufficient and this is my cross that I must bare. And so I keep fighting this war. I will loose battles and I will win battles but the war doesn't stop here...

I compare it to the cartoon with the angel in one ear and the demon in the other... Two egos. But both are dressed like angels... it's not always that easy. LoL

Reactions: Azim and Heart2Soul

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we are "in Christ".
Jesus prayed this way:

"Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." John 17:20-23

Whether you or I might now be "in" Christ is our choice. We certainly cannot get there alone nor if we are there could we have gotten there all on our own... God sent His Son to make it a possibility.

How long does a believer "in Christ" have to dwell on something that attracts him, like a pretty woman other than his wife, before he is not "in Christ"? Consider how quickly Peter moves from "up" to "down":

"He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." Matt 16:15-17

"Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." Matt 16:22-23

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Speak the Word! It is written..! Amen!

He is such a wooss... Quoting scripture makes him desintegrate.
I rarely even get the chance but. As soon as he sees that I see, he flees before I can say a word like a stray cat

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I find that often when I have been close to God I come under attack. Over the years I have come to recognise that fact and hold up my shield and deflect it.

Do u...
For me it's always when I'm at my weakest... Like he did with ChRist he waited 40 days... Like he did with me in prison... Satan has his biggest ministry in prison... Those souls get tormented day in and day out demons workin overtime... I have to pray for them... But ChRist has a ministry in prison that is bigger than any on the outside... And um só greatful for that because without God I would surely have gone back.

I found Satan was getting me when I first came back to God cos I was always facing Him while Satan would sneak around my back. I had to learn to actually face the other way most of the time so I can better spot the evil one. So i face Satan instrad if God? It soumds wrong but God has got my back and I have to trust that with my heart while watching out with my eyes

Is it healthy to harbour hate against Satan but, given that hate is a sin???

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Abiding in Christ — as in abiding in the vine (John 15) refers to fruitfulness; being in Christ (2 Corinthians 5.17) refers to being an eternally secure believer; there is a difference of emphasis.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long does a believer "in Christ" have to dwell on something that attracts him, like a pretty woman other than his wife, before he is not "in Christ"?
Of course my view is that when we trust in Jesus, God baptizes us into Christ, and there we remain.

In Spiritual warfare, I think one of the main goals when it's directed against the believer is to convince them that God won't take care of them.

I think this often happens by reminding Christians of their sins, so that we will take our eyes off of Christ.

But as we continue to trust the He and not me is keeping me, then this is the faith that deflects those fiery darts.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course my view is that when we trust in Jesus, God baptizes us into Christ, and there we remain.

In Spiritual warfare, I think one of the main goals when it's directed against the believer is to convince them that God won't take care of them.

I think this often happens by reminding Christians of their sins, so that we will take our eyes off of Christ.

But as we continue to trust the He and not me is keeping me, then this is the faith that deflects those fiery darts.

Much love!
We are in different places on this. I have already had my say.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm so happy with the responses... Often when I start this conversation it will get a few interested people and go cold leaving me wondering if I'm the only one who is having a spiritual war...

That Romans 7 from 14 to the end is defiantly one of my favourite bible passages... It feels like his talking about me... And with Pauls style it's tricky but when read smoothly it's like poetry... What a wretched man I am... Gives me goose bumps that part... Thanks be...

And I often wonder what Pauls personal vice might have been... I think it could of been something like lust, with no partner a young man will lust. Maybe it was anger he was trying to tame from dealing with so many heretics. Who knows...

Paul persecuted Chris. The other apostles didn't. I think this may be why we only really read Paul taking about this a bit... I persecuted ChRist in my heart a roamed off into the darkness for 10 years before spending another 10 years to get back to God... By then Satan has built a temple in me and knows me well... His always there and will never go away... God's grace is sufficient and this is my cross that I must bare. And so I keep fighting this war. I will loose battles and I will win battles but the war doesn't stop here...

I compare it to the cartoon with the angel in one ear and the demon in the other... Two egos. But both are dressed like angels... it's not always that easy. LoL
I read somewhere that Paul's thorn was Barnabus and the other guy..who followed him wherever he was preaching and would mock him or tell people about his past...being false accusers...so anger could have been something he had to deal with daily.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read somewhere that Paul's thorn was Barnabus and the other guy..who followed him wherever he was preaching and would mock him or tell people about his past...being false accusers...so anger could have been something he had to deal with daily.
Paul called it a "thorn in the flesh", when that idiom was used in the OT, God was warning the Israelites that if they didn't remove all the other people, they would be "thorns in their sides".

I think Paul's thorn was the Judiazers who followed him from town to town.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Heart2Soul Interesting observation; another I have heard that Paul's thorn was poor eyesight, hinted at elsewhere by him.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Paul called it a "thorn in the flesh", when that idiom was used in the OT, God was warning the Israelites that if they didn't remove all the other people, they would be "thorns in their sides".

I think Paul's thorn was the Judiazers who followed him from town to town.

Much love!
@marks Another very interesting observation and suggestion about what Paul's 'thorn in the flesh' possibly was.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Much love!
@marks Oh yes, we are aware of the shortcomings of others, but in the light of our own how we must keep 'looking unto Jesus' (Hebrews 12.2)!

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul's Thorn-

Backing up in Paul's History-
Excellently educated in OT Law-
A Pharisee- Confidant in his works-
Likely a hint of uppity Ego.

Surprise !! On that day Paul was Traveling to Damascus.

An utter Flip in Pauls paradigm.
Willingly agreeable to Learn About Christ Jesus.
Willingly agreeable to Serve the Lord, before yet knowing how hard a task it would be.

I think the Thorn in Paul's Side ...
Was kind of Two fold:
1) From Gods Perspective...to Keep Paul Humble (full well knowing Paul's prior behavior, as an excellent student of OT Law and Authoritative position of Pharisee).
2) Paul having to consistently Rely on Christ, for comfort, from constant ridicule from men.

Glory to God,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Paul's Thorn-

Backing up in Paul's History-
Excellently educated in OT Law-
A Pharisee- Confidant in his works-
Likely a hint of uppity Ego.

Surprise !! On that day Paul was Traveling to Damascus.

An utter Flip in Pauls paradigm.
Willingly agreeable to Learn About Christ Jesus.
Willingly agreeable to Serve the Lord, before yet knowing how hard a task it would be.

I think the Thorn in Paul's Side ...
Was kind of Two fold:
1) From Gods Perspective...to Keep Paul Humble (full well knowing Paul's prior behavior, as an excellent student of OT Law and Authoritative position of Pharisee).
2) Paul having to consistently Rely on Christ, for comfort, from constant ridicule from men.

Glory to God,
Taken
Good points, illustrative of what the thorn in the flesh might have been.

I guess it hinges on when the term is literal or metaphorical.

Reactions: Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More fantasizing instead of exegesis.
In point of fact . . . IF there is an answer in the Bible, well, let's just say, try to find another more specifically mentioned.

The Israelites were warned that these unbelievers would be thorns in their sides harassing them. Paul had unbelievers following him around harassing him. Paul had a thorn in the flesh.

Did you have more of a comment to make, or just that this is "fantasy"? Was there some positive upshot to saying this?

Much love!

Reactions: Taken