Squirrel pet

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would love to have a pet squirrel. They are so awesome!
Sweet! I never knew a squirrel would play with you. A momma squirrel had her babies in the tree beside our home. Then our daughter said she saw the momma squirrel in the road. I didn’t know what to do so I started feeding the babies. There were five. They would scurry down from the tree whenever I called for them. I fed them fruits, vegetables and nuts. there was already an ornamental hanging thing in the tree, this is where they started drinking their water from. They were so small they would come down the tree and get into your hand. They fit in the palm of your hand. I wish I hadn’t deleted those pictures of when they were tiny. The bigger they became though, the less I touched them. I didn’t want to interfere. As they started leaving the tree venturing further from it, they would all come up on my porch and wait for food. The bigger they became the more they began crawling up on our car tires. Sometimes I could hear them gnawing up under the hood. I knew it was time to call someone so I called the park and asked someone in the nature center, “what should I do?” They asked me questions and voiced that by what I told them …the squirrels were big enough to survive on their own. They told me to stop feeding them. It hurt me to stop feeding them. The park said because I was feeding them they were not having to do anything and they were bored and that’s why they had time to chew on my car. Lol. I stopped putting out food. They were grown which was my goal since the mom died. I enjoyed seeing them and watching them. They were funny. Strange though is we still have big squirrels come up to the glass door and look into the house. One morning I was having coffee and looked down and an adult squirrel was sitting at my feet. I don’t touch them. I can’t say for sure it’s the same squirrels but the park did say they usually build their nest in the same area. I loved the video you shared. It kind of made me regret not playing with them. But I was afraid I’d kill them by making them too tame and dependent on someone who knew nothing about squirrels. Peaches looks to be doing just fine though doing his own thing and visiting. ❤️
That is the only pictures I have left.

Hawks were scary though. I would run out of the house and shoo the birds off. It made me think of Abraham shooing the birds of prey off.:phew:

Attachments

• D481FA09-C782-44B1-8126-DE4E6B715D4F.jpeg
    D481FA09-C782-44B1-8126-DE4E6B715D4F.jpeg
    809.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 42119BE0-8669-48AF-A4F6-470DB50369F0.jpeg
    42119BE0-8669-48AF-A4F6-470DB50369F0.jpeg
    966.4 KB · Views: 3
  • F387DF8D-5D3E-4ADB-9275-4BA344953DC4.jpeg
    F387DF8D-5D3E-4ADB-9275-4BA344953DC4.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dev553344 and Debp

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sweet! I never knew a squirrel would play with you. A momma squirrel had her babies in the tree beside our home. Then our daughter said she saw the momma squirrel in the road. I didn’t know what to do so I started feeding the babies. There were five. They would scurry down from the tree whenever I called for them. I fed them fruits, vegetables and nuts. there was already an ornamental hanging thing in the tree, this is where they started drinking their water from. They were so small they would come down the tree and get into your hand. They fit in the palm of your hand. I wish I hadn’t deleted those pictures of when they were tiny. The bigger they became though, the less I touched them. I didn’t want to interfere. As they started leaving the tree venturing further from it, they would all come up on my porch and wait for food. The bigger they became the more they began crawling up on our car tires. Sometimes I could hear them gnawing up under the hood. I knew it was time to call someone so I called the park and asked someone in the nature center, “what should I do?” They asked me questions and voiced that by what I told them …the squirrels were big enough to survive on their own. They told me to stop feeding them. It hurt me to stop feeding them. The park said because I was feeding them they were not having to do anything and they were bored and that’s why they had time to chew on my car. Lol. I stopped putting out food. They were grown which was my goal since the mom died. I enjoyed seeing them and watching them. They were funny. Strange though is we still have big squirrels come up to the glass door and look into the house. One morning I was having coffee and looked down and an adult squirrel was sitting at my feet. I don’t touch them. I can’t say for sure it’s the same squirrels but the park did say they usually build their nest in the same area. I loved the video you shared. It kind of made me regret not playing with them. But I was afraid I’d kill them by making them too tame and dependent on someone who knew nothing about squirrels. Peaches looks to be doing just fine though doing his own thing and visiting. ❤️
That is the only pictures I have left.

Hawks were scary though. I would run out of the house and shoo the birds off. It made me think of Abraham shooing the birds of prey off.:phew:
I used to feed the crows. Then I realized they needed more protein. Which is usually worms from the grass fields. So I quit feeding them and they do fine on their own. I think the squirrels do fine on their own too, so I wouldn't worry about not feeding them.

We do have a cherry tree here of some kind. Not sure what kind of cherries it is, kinda small, but all the animals love them. We have squirrels that come by the door looking for food. They seem pretty fit on their own so I don't feed them. What worries me most is them crossing the streets here. One of the roads people just fly down and kill things, like there are always dead rats here. I see them on my walks scurrying around. Not a big fan of rats though as they can be a problem in your house and under it chewing on house wires and can actually start house fires.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are always dead rats here. I see them on my walks scurrying around. Not a big fan of rats though as they can be a problem in your house and under it chewing on house wires and can actually start house fires.

Do you have any stray cats by your house? If so, I heard the smell of cats will keep rats away.

As long as the cats are spayed and neutered, they will be a big help against rats.

Some cities offer free spaying and neutering. Either the city shelters or even animal rescue groups. Some rescue groups will come out to help catch the cats and then return them after neutering.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any stray cats by your house? If so, I heard the smell of cats will keep rats away.

As long as the cats are spayed and neutered, they will be a big help against rats.

Some cities offer free spaying and neutering. Either the city shelters or even animal rescue groups. Some rescue groups will come out to help catch the cats and then return them after neutering.
We have one cat that wonders by in the early morning. The rats live near the bakery. I'm afraid the homeless people here leave their crumbs out on the streets and the rats go for that. They live in the bushes in front of the bakery and they hide from everything in there. They're probably not going anywhere soon.

Reactions: Debp

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bigger they became the more they began crawling up on our car tires. Sometimes I could hear them gnawing up under the hood.
We had the coolant light come on out on I-95 coming back from visiting the in-laws down in Florida, so we had to stop in Savannah to get it looked at. To make a long story short, the mechanic said something had chewed through the wiring harness, the squirrels at my in-laws' house being the prime suspects. Those Florida squirrels are tough little buggers. They chew on metal.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saw this and had to laugh, squirrels defense mechanism against getting in trouble: "No I didn't knock it over, it landed on me":

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to feed the crows. Then I realized they needed more protein. Which is usually worms from the grass fields. So I quit feeding them and they do fine on their own. I think the squirrels do fine on their own too, so I wouldn't worry about not feeding them.

We do have a cherry tree here of some kind. Not sure what kind of cherries it is, kinda small, but all the animals love them. We have squirrels that come by the door looking for food. They seem pretty fit on their own so I don't feed them. What worries me most is them crossing the streets here. One of the roads people just fly down and kill things, like there are always dead rats here. I see them on my walks scurrying around. Not a big fan of rats though as they can be a problem in your house and under it chewing on house wires and can actually start house fires.
This was at least a year ago. I’m past it. The park was right that once I stopped feeding them they went on to do their own thing. It’s only when I see an adult squirrel come too close to me in the yard that makes me wonder if it’s one of them. Something similar happened to me with birds. We have a bird house mounted on our house right beside the front door. It looks more like an old-school mail box. Birds started building their nest in it. I got involved when I shouldn’t have because the momma was doing fine. But when one leaves the nest …all the babies leave the nest. (I didn’t know this) The first one was plenty big enough but all the others were a third of his size and featherless. The first one hit the ground and then not long after flew off. The others would plop out on the porch falling from above. I would pick them up (the featherless ones) and put them back in the nest. Then a couple hours …plop plop…two featherless birds were laying on the porch. Then three. I kept putting them back in and they kept falling out. Finally I brought a box out and stuck them in the box. Just sharing with you its a myth I think that if you touch birds the momma won’t came back. She would come feed them in the box on the porch. I don’t know what was up with those birds. But they all died except for the first one that left the nest. There is a difference in the ones that can’t fly and stay on the ground and the ones ready to fly. The mom and dad feed the ones on the ground. I think they are called fledglings. I should have let them go on the first time they fell out of the nest. But I kept putting them back in. I should have let them hop right off the first time, instead of falling out over and over. Afterwards I closed the holes of the birdhouse up so they can’t build there anymore. But I’ve learned my interference isn’t always helpful. I still love watching the squirrels and birds in the yard. I planted a bed of sunflowers. When the sunflowers started sprouting up this squirrel kept coming and plucking up my plants. He would sit in the middle of them and pull them up by the roots to eat seeds that hadn’t sprouted yet. I called him a little turd. Finally I gave up and let him have them. It could have been one of the babies turned adult. Lol animals are funny though.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had the coolant light come on out on I-95 coming back from visiting the in-laws down in Florida, so we had to stop in Savannah to get it looked at. To make a long story short, the mechanic said something had chewed through the wiring harness, the squirrels at my in-laws' house being the prime suspects. Those Florida squirrels are tough little buggers. They chew on metal.
I believe it. That is what I was afraid of. That they might chew the cables on my daughters van and her driving my grandchildren around. That is what kept me steadfast that I wasn’t going to feed them and allow them to go on to have to forge and build away from the tree. Their tree was right by were we park cars.

Reactions: Debp