"Straining At The Gnat"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
"Strain at" or "Strain Out" a GnatSome have said this is a misprint/misinterpretation and should say Strain out a gnat, Is it ?and what does it mean?Matthew 2323Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. 24Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel. 25Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. 26 "Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and Platter, that the outside of them may be clean also."These Pharisees were like someone who saw a gnat or perhaps thought they saw a gnat in their bowl of pottage and they would get a strainer and work the soup over until they either had the gnat or convinced themselves that their soup was not contaminated. However, they would ignore something as significant as an entire camel in their soup and swallow it whole.The reason it says "strain at" instead of "strain out" is because Jesus is pointing out that the gnat may not have even existed. They may have imagined it. By this, He showed that they were meticulous to such a degree on some points that they went out of their way to remove the supposed uncleanness whether it was really there or not. However, at other times, they completely allowed very important things to remain unchallenged. This is described in the previous verse, Matthew 23:23 - "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."So it is today many put more importance and spend their time arguing their denominational rules and regulations than they do studying Gods Word ... The camel is a very unclean animal. Jesus is saying that you strain at a gnat size thing in your doctrine, and when something large and unclean enters your church, you look the other way. The prime example of this today are things are small matters of dress,or should we go to church on Saturday or Sunday ? My church is the only right one ect ect. These are elevated, where the major items of idolatry, Sodomy, and killing your babies is overlooked. These scribes and Pharisees paid such detail to their religious forms, words, and motions they went through, and they overlooked what God's Word said to do. These religious sorts could care less of pleasing God, it is done for the merchandising of religion. Jesus is telling these Pharisees to go and clean up their own doctrine, and make sure it lines up with God, rather then trying to please the traditions of men. Jesus is taking aim at those church services that never quite get around to teaching the laws and truths of Gods word, because they are to deep in doctrine and traditions that please men. 27 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness."Jesus is telling them that they look like grave sites that are beautiful on the outside, but inside the grave is a decaying with all sorts of uncleanness.28 "Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity."These scribes and Pharisees took pride in showing themselves to be righteous and proper in outward appearance, yet inwardly they were full of hypocrisy and all sorts of evil. What stopped the people from accepting Jesus as the Christ In those days? It was the religious community. It was the priests, scribes and Pharisees It wasn't the sinners that walked the street, for many of them followed Him, and loved Him for the healing and teaching that He gave. Like it or not, it was the religious community, and those that wore the robes of the priests. Let us not waste our time "Straining at the gnat" like these Pharisees, If your religious leaders are not feeding you meat from Gods Word find one that does Mat 24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Hbr 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
Very powerful lesson, that God has put on your heart ... Christina .
smile.gif
May I ask a little question, it is on my mind . What happen to those who didn't want to hear what the Pharisees and scribes say or follow thier teachings?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
QUOTE (Lookin'4wardtoHeaven @ Apr 8 2009, 10:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72158
Very powerful lesson, that God has put on your heart ... Christina .
smile.gif
May I ask a little question, it is on my mind . What happen to those who didn't want to hear what the Pharisees and scribes say or follow their teachings?
If I understand your question and we are talking back in Jesus time its a long subject but I will try to give you the short version:) King Herod had kicked all the Levite priest out of the Temple and replaced them with the Sadducee's and Pharisees these Sadducee's and Pharisees and scribes were what we call tares in the new testament (they are those who say they are Jews but are not in Rev.'s church of Smyrna and Philadelphia) another words they did the work of Satan that's why Jesus didn't care much for them ... They became the religious leaders of the day it was they who wanted/called for Jesus death ... This was another of Satan's plans his attempt through Herod and these religious leaders to stop Christ. But it backfired on ole Satan.. poetic justice only the way God can deliver it by Satan having his tares (religious leaders) call for the death of Christ... Satan in fact assured Christs victory over Satan (sin) So Satan defeated himself with his plan to defeat Jesus ... It was these tares of Satan who say they are Jews but are not ... That were responsible for Christs death ...not Judah ... This teaching was changed by the St Augustine in the early days of the Christian Church for political reasons in those early days in Israel their was a real battle for the hearts of men and there were many Jews.. It was St Augustine's decision to change this teaching blame the average Jew for killing Jesus thus causing them to become hated ...and insuring Christianity would triumph . Now as for regular Jew they like us today blindly followed their religious leaders (Most Jews followed the teachings of either one group or the other) Remember these were the same people that had turned the synagogues into money changers (businesses) that Jesus turned over their tables ... So it is today many churches are a business they teach what brings in the money. Thus my warning not to be as the Saducees and Pharisees ..........As time passed Some of these people stayed Jews many became Christians and the leaders the Tares stayed tares and there kind works there inequity even today As for what happened to the true Levite Priest I believe there is historical evidence they were who we have come to call the Essenes Of course all were scattered after Jerusalem was conquered in 70 A.D. by Rome. Hope that was your question I have posted on the Essenes if you are interestedhttp://www.christianityboard.com/index.php...&hl=Essenes

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
((( Christina)))) Yes you have. Thanks for taking time to do it. I will have to re-read and study so more on this. It is a very deep study!
smile.gif

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Christina, your posts are always very well articulated and often expose the "duality" of the Word of God.My take on the "Strain at a gnat" Is a deal of faith and obedience. The gnat is the Law of God and the application of faith. Since the Pharisees thought that keeping the laws is what gave them the right to the favors of God. They believed it was things they did, and really didn't care, they wanted people to see how "clean and holy" they were. To "strain at a gnat" is, they simply couldn't or wouldn't grasp Faith. And in an order to make sure they kept clean, they started even more rituals and rules that they thought would keep them holy. It was impossible enough to keep the laws of God, yet they even added more, Which is the "Swallow a Camel"To "clean the outside of the cup and bowl" Was them following the law, but it was only outwardly, they didn't realize that they had to change on the inside in order to keep the law. So, the cup and bowl, Meaning their bodies, were clean on the outside. They had an outward appearance of Holiness, but inwardly they were evil.But, I guess, that's saying the same thing you were saying, just differently.
wink.gif
How do we suppose it was Satan that wanted to kill Jesus? Didn't Jesus rebuke satan for using Peter? When Jesus was talking to him about his death? "Lord! This must never be!" Jesus said, "Get behind me Satan, you are a stumbling block in my path"All the way through the old Testament we have prophesy and signs of sacrifice, and Jesus saying that he will lay down his life. "The lamb slain before the foundation of the world"Jesus even said, (not quoting exactly) "If they knew what they were doing they would not be doing it" Maybe this should be on another post, but I figured since it was mentioned on this one.......

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Yes you are right about what you have said about the sadducees and pharisees but as I told you there are 3 levels of teaching to Gods Word You have given one level I tend to want to take you a step deeper As there is more to gods Word than you have been told So I want to push you a little deeper to begin to see more ... What you say about Christ is also true, but What God knows what Christ Knew are not the same as what Satan knew There is a whole line that runs through scripture from the first Words of Gen. To last in Rev. that tells us a Whole neither Story of the Battle of Good and Evil,light and Dark, Satan vs Christ ... learning it is called the Key of David ... Which is basically understanding Gods overall plan from beginning to End .. The Who how and what of who we/he battles and wins the victory overEverything has a positive and negative ... a day and night ... a black and a White Christ is our right our light our positive ...Satan is the wrong the dark the negative ... The way the negative opposes the positive is whole neither story not always readily apparent in the surface text .... Ill give you an example: Remember Noah on the ark ... first he sent out a Raven ..... a Raven is black a scavenger bird this represents Satan... second he sends out a Dove ..a white bird this represents the holy spirit/Christ Now fast forward to the End times We are told Antichrist the man of sin (satan)raven comes first ... Second at the last trump The true Christ comes the dove. Some interpetations of the manuscripts actually say outright this was a sign for a last generation/latter days But my point is we see the positive vs negative dark vs light theme throughout scripture. We just miss it read over it most of the time. So we dont know how to always keep it in context because we only see bits and pieces of the Entire picture, On the surface

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Christina @ Apr 11 2009, 02:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72336
Yes you are right about what you have said about the sadducees and pharisees but as I told you there are 3 levels of teaching to Gods Word You have given one level I tend to want to take you a step deeper As there is more to gods Word than you have been told So I want to push you a little deeper to begin to see more ... What you say about Christ is also true, but What God knows what Christ Knew are not the same as what Satan knew There is a whole line that runs through scripture from the first Words of Gen. To last in Rev. that tells us a Whole neither Story of the Battle of Good and Evil,light and Dark, Satan vs Christ ... learning it is called the Key of David ... Which is basically understanding Gods overall plan from beginning to End .. The Who how and what of who we/he battles and wins the victory overEverything has a positive and negative ... a day and night ... a black and a White Christ is our right our light our positive ...Satan is the wrong the dark the negative ... The way the negative opposes the positive is whole neither story not always readily apparent in the surface text .... Ill give you an example: Remember Noah on the ark ... first he sent out a Raven ..... a Raven is black a scavenger bird this represents Satan... second he sends out a Dove ..a white bird this represents the holy spirit/Christ Now fast forward to the End times We are told Antichrist the man of sin (satan)raven comes first ... Second at the last trump The true Christ comes the dove. Some interpetations of the manuscripts actually say outright this was a sign for a last generation/latter days But my point is we see the positive vs negative dark vs light theme throughout scripture. We just miss it read over it most of the time. So we dont know how to always keep it in context because we only see bits and pieces of the Entire picture, On the surface
On top of what Christina said... Here is another example. Who was born first out of Eve's womb? Cain or Abel? Cain was a bad boy and the firstborn, therefore Satan is coming here first. Abel was righteous, so therefore our righteous King which is Christ will come back last.