Strange teachings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Uh... I think she meant our relationship with the people God has entrusted us to witness to. ???
@Pearl please clarify. Thanks.

"... our struggle is not against flesh and blood..."

/

John 1:10-13 ESV / 1,710 helpful votes​

He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Reactions: Pearl

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The surest route to failure is to try to please everyone.
If you don't have enemies, you don't stand for anything.
And will probably fall for anything. (funny how that works)

/

I used to like that "stand for something" saying until some dude turned it into a very nasally country song that I heard a thousand times.

I used to be a people pleaser until I realized it just wasn't going to work. I think it's just a lazy substitute for people serving.

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If its not in harmony with scripture, reject it. If its in harmony with scripture, accept and obey.

KJV 1 John 2:4
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

KJV Isaiah 8:20
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
In harmony with scripture?
What does the Apostle Paul say about the law? (that you are promoting)

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Uh... I think she meant our relationship with the people God has entrusted us to witness to. ???
@Pearl please clarify. Thanks.

John 1:10-13 ESV / 1,710 helpful votes​

He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Bible versus Bible. Who will win?

1,710 helpful votes? - LOL
You must be right then.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know what they say about talking to oneself, right? :p

Sometimes it's the only alternative if you can't find anyone intelligent enough to follow the conversation. - LOL

On the other hand if you holler loud enough, you might break the mirror.

/

• Haha
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is this some "strange" new teaching? - LOL
Please elaborate. I don't remember that part.

/

Well, I'm sure you know the story so, can there really be any doubt that He was talking about the 7th commandment? (John 4)

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I'm sure you know the story so, can there really be any doubt that He was talking about the 7th commandment? (John 4)

Well...
She was a Samaritan woman.
Was she obligated to the law that God gave to the Israelites alone through Moses?
And I don't see any indication that Jesus was preaching the law to her. So... ???

/

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

Bible versus Bible. Who will win?

1,710 helpful votes? - LOL
You must be right then.

/
Probably the ones with a teachable spirit.

Wow, woke up wondering if there would be ANY new posts. o_O

Found just what TRIBE you're in .....the DIATRIBE of two.:jest: Thankfully it was with our sister who I'm gonna leave you with. I didn't even finish reading her BOOK to me this morning. And that, was after I just asked her to keep her posts shorter, in my last post to her. Oh well.

I'll be quiet for a while. Leaving for Washington DC at noon with 150+ Veterans on an Honor Flight and won't be back until Wednesday. 80 are in wheelchairs. I am blessed.

EDIT; correction; 100 vets and 30 in wheelchairs.

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough. The seed is sown. ;)
Question is which soil?

It is an interesting question though.
The Jews, of course, hated the Samaritan half-breeds.
But what was the attitude of Samaritans toward Israel and Jerusalem?
And the law of Moses, for that matter.

John 4:19-20 NIV
“Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet.
20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim
that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

/

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question is which soil?

It is an interesting question though.
The Jews, of course, hated the Samaritan half-breeds.

John 4:19-20 NIV
“Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet.
20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim
that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

/

I see it's germinating. Gotcha! :p

• Haha

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
That's funny. I always LOVE a play on words.
I suppose I deserved that PUNishment.

/
:goodj: Touche Steve. My brother picks me up in an hour so I just reread your post and 'caught' your PUN. Thankfully that's enough time for me to hit the 'shed' and 'sharpen' up a bit. :p

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would say they were, to some degree, the Palestinians of their time. They were oppressed by the Jews but their sacred text was/is(?) their own Pentateuch—a very superficially and culturally modified version of the Torah. My memory isn't what it used to be so I'll have to reserve the right to be wrong about this - lol.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is one of my very favorite texts and I often use it in much the same way that I think you're using it here. People don't like that, as I'm sure you've noticed because, sadly, too many Christians today have a mindset equivalent to that of the disciples who thought Christ had come to overthrow imperial Rome (I actually noticed your machine-gunning pic after writing this
evilgrin0045.gif
)

It's not a zero-sum equation, though. The mindset manifests in degrees, and can also be seen as a balancing act that is not easy and nearly impossible to fake.

I became more keenly aware of this a few years ago while listening to a lecture series on religious liberty (which I take a lot of heat for championing, btw, but now I'm just whining, I guess). I believe the true religious liberty that God—not the state—both provides and guarantees at Calvary is one of the essential facets of the mystery of godliness.

I grant that this seems contraindicated since a guarantee would seem to mean that no man could spoil it and, in fact, it does just that. But this is just one more paradox that has to be negotiated by the deep searchers of truth. :IDK:

It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!.
scared0008.gif

It is so important to avoid exerting undue pressure to bring people to decisions about faith and practice.

For "a man convinced against his will" is unconverted still.
fighting0025.gif

Being mostly Wesleyan-Arminian, I believe people make decisions every day that could affect their eternal lives (which is not to say that people slip into and out of a "state of grace" constantly) so, far be it from me to impose any part of my will upon their own.

I only wish I practiced this as well as I believe I can preach it. :ummm:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say they were, to some degree, the Palestinians of their time. They were oppressed by the Jews but their sacred text was/is(?) their own Pentateuch—a very superficially and culturally modified version of the Torah. My memory isn't what it used to be so I'll have to reserve the right to be wrong about this - lol.

Hmm... the Samaritan Pentateuch. Now there's a topic. - LOL

/

Reactions: Chadrho